or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" - Page 2

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudeRN View Post

Got my bonus! biggrin.gif
Ordered the NXG + BIC SH-56 Soundbar this morning.

Congrats on your new toys! After it's been broken in and tuned be sure to come back and post your impressions.
post #32 of 69
Will do so.
post #33 of 69
Jim,

How much of a gain might one get with 2 of these NXG in terms of output? I'm thinking in comparison to the SVS pb-1000 and the Rythmik Lvr12 as 2 NXG would fall into roughly the same budget bucket. I know the Rythmik is not necessarily the same type of sub. Would your appreciate your thoughts in that.

Thanks
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

How much of a gain might one get with 2 of these NXG in terms of output? I'm thinking in comparison to the SVS pb-1000 and the Rythmik Lvr12 as 2 NXG would fall into roughly the same budget bucket. I know the Rythmik is not necessarily the same type of sub. Would your appreciate your thoughts in that.

If by "gain" you're referring to output - volume essentially - then expect about 3dB more, assuming they're co-located (stacked on top of each other). 3dB falls into the category of a noticeable difference. However, if you're asking about additional lower frequency extension then the answer is there would be none. The frequency response a subwoofer is capable of can not be changed by adding more of them. It may sound as though multiples go deeper, but realistically they won't. Provided you have flexibility with placement options duals will allow you to smooth out the overall bass response, so there are less voids/nulls in the listening positions. That can be advantageous.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If by "gain" you're referring to output - volume essentially - then expect about 3dB more, assuming they're co-located (stacked on top of each other). 3dB falls into the category of a noticeable difference. However, if you're asking about additional lower frequency extension then the answer is there would be none. The frequency response a subwoofer is capable of can not be changed by adding more of them. It may sound as though multiples go deeper, but realistically they won't. Provided you have flexibility with placement options duals will allow you to smooth out the overall bass response, so there are less voids/nulls in the listening positions. That can be advantageous.

Jim if I am not mistaken doubling displacement and power yields a 6db gain?
post #36 of 69
^^ It has to be a type-o.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Jim if I am not mistaken doubling displacement and power yields a 6db gain?

Yes. It will be more than 6dB if the sub location offers ample room gain.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Jim if I am not mistaken doubling displacement and power yields a 6db gain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

^^ It has to be a type-o.

Tha's what happens when you try to post something as you rush out the door because you're late... frown.gif

It is indeed 6dB for co-location. I was thinking more about how late I was going to be if I didn't get my butt in gear. Lack of focus = wrong info. Sorry for the confusion.
post #39 of 69
^^ No confusion here! I knew it was something like that. wink.gif
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post


It is indeed 6dB for co-location.

Jim - thanks for the feedback, I do have a follow up question for you.
In your opinion would this sort of a gain from 2 NXG subs be worth going for as opposed to going for the PB-1000 or LV12r?

Thanks,
Sharad
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

Jim - thanks for the feedback, I do have a follow up question for you.
In your opinion would this sort of a gain from 2 NXG subs be worth going for as opposed to going for the PB-1000 or LV12r?

That all depends upon your situation; how large your room is, budget, intended usage (HT, music, games, some combination), how loud you like to listen, etc. Some additional information will help to understand what your goals are.
post #42 of 69
The room is about 15x23x8 ~ 2800 cubic feet when I include the open kitchen area. WIthout the kitchen area included the space is about 1800 cubic feet. I realize the larger number applies in this case but I am curious to know how the subs (2 NXG or 1 pb-1000 or 1 LV12r) might do in the 1800 cubic feet. The budget might extend to 600'ish if the Rythmik/servo is as special as everyone on all the forums are saying.

Most of the time I'm usually watch movies and want to hear/feel the bass and listen to music (popular, techno.electronic, house, classical).

I'm not looking for too loud, I usually watch movies at reference level (max.) with my current 8 inch Yamaha sub (rated down to 28 HZ). I sit about 10 feet away from the front speakers and the sub is behind the couch currently. At reference levels it sounds loud quite loud at the seating position but the lower room shaking frequencies feel inadequate at times.

In a way (I think) I'm also trying to figure out if 2 of the NXG subs would be a good match for the pb-1000 and the Rythmik, what would I lose out on.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

The room is about 15x23x8 ~ 2800 cubic feet when I include the open kitchen area. WIthout the kitchen area included the space is about 1800 cubic feet. I realize the larger number applies in this case but I am curious to know how the subs (2 NXG or 1 pb-1000 or 1 LV12r) might do in the 1800 cubic feet. The budget might extend to 600'ish if the Rythmik/servo is as special as everyone on all the forums are saying.

Most of the time I'm usually watch movies and want to hear/feel the bass and listen to music (popular, techno.electronic, house, classical).

I'm not looking for too loud, I usually watch movies at reference level (max.) with my current 8 inch Yamaha sub (rated down to 28 HZ). I sit about 10 feet away from the front speakers and the sub is behind the couch currently. At reference levels it sounds loud quite loud at the seating position but the lower room shaking frequencies feel inadequate at times.

In a way (I think) I'm also trying to figure out if 2 of the NXG subs would be a good match for the pb-1000 and the Rythmik, what would I lose out on.

I have a single PB-1000 in a 14 x 27 x 7 room and it sounds great from the main listening position. I am considering a second one to smooth out the response across the room but I'm happy with the single PB-1000 in terms of depth and output. I'm no bass head but I appreciate the .1 in my blu rays.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

.

In a way (I think) I'm also trying to figure out if 2 of the NXG subs would be a good match for the pb-1000 and the Rythmik, what would I lose out on.

IMO what you would lose out on is sound quality of the bass and 20hz extension. Based on my limited experience there is a night and day difference in the quality of bass from a good sub and a cheap sub. Sure the cheap/less expensive subs will make things shake, make boom sounds for movies and produce bass for music but they're pretty much one note wonders. All the bass sounds pretty much the same. All get loud but much of that loudness is nothing more than distortion.

I just went from a WAY overprice Def Tech Supercube 8000 (their top SC model) to a SVS PC12+. I thought the SC did a pretty good job until I heard the SVS in the same room with the same content. I feel like a fool for ever having bought the SC in the first place.

Anyway, go for quality over quantity, then later if you need more quantity add some quality. biggrin.gif
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

The room is about 15x23x8 ~ 2800 cubic feet when I include the open kitchen area. WIthout the kitchen area included the space is about 1800 cubic feet. I realize the larger number applies in this case but I am curious to know how the subs (2 NXG or 1 pb-1000 or 1 LV12r) might do in the 1800 cubic feet. The budget might extend to 600'ish if the Rythmik/servo is as special as everyone on all the forums are saying.

Most of the time I'm usually watch movies and want to hear/feel the bass and listen to music (popular, techno.electronic, house, classical).

I'm not looking for too loud, I usually watch movies at reference level (max.) with my current 8 inch Yamaha sub (rated down to 28 HZ). I sit about 10 feet away from the front speakers and the sub is behind the couch currently. At reference levels it sounds loud quite loud at the seating position but the lower room shaking frequencies feel inadequate at times.

In a way (I think) I'm also trying to figure out if 2 of the NXG subs would be a good match for the pb-1000 and the Rythmik, what would I lose out on.

The highlighted line seems to be a bit of an oxymoron; reference level - at your seating position - is loud, but I somehow doubt an 8" subwoofer is actually capable of achieving that level of volume. Either way...

It's often a better idea to have multiple subwoofers, but the NXG simply can't go as low as the PB-1000 or the LV12R (I've reviewed all three of them, so that comes from personal experience). It's a really nice sub for the money, but it's not that nice I'm afraid. If you really do want reference level output, especially for something like techo or electronic, then the LV12R is probably the best choice. Few people have ever regretted buying the best sub they could, but most regret not doing that.
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

I have a single PB-1000 in a 14 x 27 x 7 room and it sounds great from the main listening position.

Have you placed it near the listening position or elsewhere?
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

IMO what you would lose out on is sound quality of the bass and 20hz extension. Based on my limited experience there is a night and day difference in the quality of bass from a good sub and a cheap sub.

Thanks for confirming that nagging feeling in the back of my mind - it should have been apparent from what I've read but I guess I just needed to hear that clearly quality is what I'll end up missing out on.
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The highlighted line seems to be a bit of an oxymoron; reference level - at your seating position - is loud, but I somehow doubt an 8" subwoofer is actually capable of achieving that level of volume. Either way...

It's often a better idea to have multiple subwoofers, but the NXG simply can't go as low as the PB-1000 or the LV12R (I've reviewed all three of them, so that comes from personal experience). It's a really nice sub for the money, but it's not that nice I'm afraid. If you really do want reference level output, especially for something like techo or electronic, then the LV12R is probably the best choice. Few people have ever regretted buying the best sub they could, but most regret not doing that.

You caught onto what I was thinking smile.gif, specifically wrt to the oxymoron. As I was typing it out I knew I was kind of referring to the loudness of the [other] surround speakers as well but overlooked it.

Would you say the LV12r is also the best choice for 'movies and music' or just techno/electronic music?

Thanks Jim, I was counting on you sharing thoughts from your experiences.
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

You caught onto what I was thinking smile.gif, specifically wrt to the oxymoron. As I was typing it out I knew I was kind of referring to the loudness of the [other] surround speakers as well but overlooked it.

Would you say the LV12r is also the best choice for 'movies and music' or just techno/electronic music?

Thanks Jim, I was counting on you sharing thoughts from your experiences.

If you've eliminated the NXG from contention then it's probably a good time to start a new thread, one specific to your particular situation. This one is dedicated to the NXG, so it wouldn't be the most appropriate place to discuss other subwoofers. Send me a link to your new thread and I'll respond there.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansha View Post

Have you placed it near the listening position or elsewhere?

It is corner loaded in the front left of the room. The main listening position is on a sofa about 12' from the front wall centered between the two side walls so I am close to a null in the middle of the room and about 13' from the sub. We have a couch on the opposite side wall that gets a bit too much bass. I have the sub dialed in at about 1:30. I'm very happy with the depth and output for my needs but I'm finding it next to impossible to get the same performance at most listening positions which is why I'm looking at adding a second PB-1000.
post #51 of 69
Looks like their website is down. Was going to look at the specs to ask some setup questions but it looks like I will have to wait.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post

Looks like their website is down. Was going to look at the specs to ask some setup questions but it looks like I will have to wait.

A lot of the spec's are in my review, so perhaps you can find what you're looking for there.
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

A lot of the spec's are in my review, so perhaps you can find what you're looking for there.

Good idea. I am pretty much getting every today or tomorrow so I should be able to provide an update this weekend.
post #54 of 69
So what does it mean if I get a high pitched squeal/whine when I turn the Sub on? I made sure the RCA cable was tight and then unhooked it and it made no difference. After looking around I might try switching outlets to see if that makes a difference, otherwise I am not sure what else to do.
Edited by ppilot - 8/30/13 at 10:18am
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post

So what does it mean if I get a high pitched squeal/whine when I turn the Sub on? I made sure the RCA cable was tight and then unhooked it and it made no difference. After looking around I might try switching outlets to see if that makes a difference, otherwise I am not sure what else to do.

If switching the wall outlet doesn't make a difference, which I doubt it will, you might have an issue with the amp.
post #56 of 69
Just an update... due to demand NXG sold out of NX-BAS-500 toward the end of last year. I just received a reply to my inquiry asking about availability and I'm being told the container is set to arrive in LA at the beginning of February. They should start showing up in the channel 2-3 weeks after, so middle to end of February.
post #57 of 69
We'll see if they fixed that issue with the center plug.
post #58 of 69

NX-BAS-500 is now in stock.

post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulks View Post

NX-BAS-500 is now in stock.
I noticed that none of the authorized dealers have it in stock. I checked all 4. You can get it from this third party seller but NXG may not honor the warranty.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FSTU4G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2R0FX412W1BDT
Edited by Bond 007 - 2/20/14 at 5:12am
post #60 of 69
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12"