or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 6

post #151 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by freon View Post

I have a quick question regarding placement. Mine is ceiling mounted and I have the option of placing it pretty much anywhere i want.
to acheive the best lumen output to my 140" screen do I want it as close as possible while being able to zoom out to acheive my 140"

or do i want it somewhere in the middle of the zoom and further back?

I have a 135" screen and my epson is on the back wall about 9.5 ft high and 25ft from the screen. The picture is perfect, the throw ratio is from about 14ft (i think) to about 30ft. When I spoke to the Epson rep, they told me that it all depended on the rooms environment and that distance could play a big part in how bright my picture would look. Having it closer to the screen will help with the light output/picture brightness if you have ambient light in your room, but won't be much of an issue if your room is completely dark. Also, the type of screen you have can come into play.

I have a designated theater room which has no windows and is completely dark, so for me the lumens/brightness of the picture isn't an issue, in fact, I had to lower the brightness. If you have windows or some light in your room, then you might be better off getting closer to the screen to get a better/brighter picture. If your room is completely dark, then it really doesn't affect you much as long as you stay within the throw ratio.
post #152 of 1271
Anyone know the major difference between this and the 6010? I think the 6010 came with an extra bulb, maybe longer warranty but is the quality pretty much the same? Had a deal fall through on a 6010 and having a tough time finding another at a good price so considering this one. Saw the 6010 in person and liked it, liked how close to the ceiling the included mounting hardware placed the projector as that worked for my cramped back row plus the image quality looked great.
post #153 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos519 View Post

I have a 135" screen and my epson is on the back wall about 9.5 ft high and 25ft from the screen. The picture is perfect, the throw ratio is from about 14ft (i think) to about 30ft. When I spoke to the Epson rep, they told me that it all depended on the rooms environment and that distance could play a big part in how bright my picture would look. Having it closer to the screen will help with the light output/picture brightness if you have ambient light in your room, but won't be much of an issue if your room is completely dark. Also, the type of screen you have can come into play.

I have a designated theater room which has no windows and is completely dark, so for me the lumens/brightness of the picture isn't an issue, in fact, I had to lower the brightness. If you have windows or some light in your room, then you might be better off getting closer to the screen to get a better/brighter picture. If your room is completely dark, then it really doesn't affect you much as long as you stay within the throw ratio.


Well I have a dedicated room as well. It does have windows in a walk out basement but they are blacked out when needed. my room is 18x30. I am thinking that I would want to best lumen output without having to take it out of Eco mode. I understand that the close it is the brighter it will end up but what about having to widen the zoom all the way when bringing it in closer will this lose image quallity?
post #154 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

I also have bad lip sync issues when watching 1080p/24 blu-ray using a PS3.
Did u find a fix for this?

No. I just turned 1080p/24 off in the PS3. I still need to take my Onkyo 809 out of the signal path to see if that is causing it.
post #155 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurVandelay View Post

Anyone know the major difference between this and the 6010? I think the 6010 came with an extra bulb, maybe longer warranty but is the quality pretty much the same? Had a deal fall through on a 6010 and having a tough time finding another at a good price so considering this one. Saw the 6010 in person and liked it, liked how close to the ceiling the included mounting hardware placed the projector as that worked for my cramped back row plus the image quality looked great.

They are basically identical, except for the fact that the 6010 comes with the mount, extra bulb, 2 extra glasses (I think), supports picture in picture, is thx certified, and I believe it has wireless hdmi. Other than that, the specs are identical.
post #156 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by freon View Post

Well I have a dedicated room as well. It does have windows in a walk out basement but they are blacked out when needed. my room is 18x30. I am thinking that I would want to best lumen output without having to take it out of Eco mode. I understand that the close it is the brighter it will end up but what about having to widen the zoom all the way when bringing it in closer will this lose image quallity?

Yes, the image quality may be slightly affected if you are closer to the screen and you need a screen that big. Zooming out from a close distant will in fact show more pixilation, especially if you are sitting closer to the screen. I wouldn't go as far back as 30 ft, but maybe between 15 to 25. You should try a test run on ground level to find the sweet spot.
post #157 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos519 View Post

Yes, the image quality may be slightly affected if you are closer to the screen and you need a screen that big. Zooming out from a close distant will in fact show more pixilation, especially if you are sitting closer to the screen. I wouldn't go as far back as 30 ft, but maybe between 15 to 25. You should try a test run on ground level to find the sweet spot.

Why would pixel size be different in the same size image?
post #158 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post

Why would pixel size be different in the same size image?

It's really not pixelation, but more of an unrefined picture in my opinion, especially if you have to zoom all the way out from a close distance to get a 140 inch screen. For a screen size of 140" it really makes no sense to have it closest to the screen as the projector has a long throw lens. If it had a short throw lens then the close distance wouldn't matter since it would be able to project a large image from a close proximity.

The focal size of the 5020 screen is 100" at the preferred minimum distance from the screen. So if the minimum distance is 12ft-14ft and you wanted 140" you could zoom out from that distance, but what you are really doing is just stretching/zooming out a 100" screen as oppose to bringing back the projector and projecting the 100" screen (with no zoom) to project a 140" picture. To me, it just makes more sense to bring it back and then tweak it as needed.
post #159 of 1271
Is there only 1 charger for the included 2 RF 3D glasses? Or did I lose it already? So you can only charge one at a time, that seems odd.
post #160 of 1271
You lost one. Lol. I got two chargers with mine
post #161 of 1271
Mine only came with one charger as well. But I've been charging them with my computer, so not a big deal for me.
post #162 of 1271
that's so weird, i don't even remember seeing the other one
post #163 of 1271
I received only one charger too, but I've got 4-5 of these hanging around the house that I didn't even know about when I started looking for some more!
post #164 of 1271
I got 2. This is a weird inconsistency But they charge so fast I only use 1 anyway, so I just don't think it's a big deal.

S A M 33.
post #165 of 1271
any suggestions on a ceiling mount for this projector?? my ceilings are 7ft high
also a screen to best match this projector

please note my HT is completely dark when watching movies
there's no ambient light unless i make some

thx
post #166 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmmer32261 View Post

any suggestions on a ceiling mount for this projector?? my ceilings are 7ft high
also a screen to best match this projector

please note my HT is completely dark when watching movies
there's no ambient light unless i make some

thx

Search and you shall find, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/60#post_21318127 Either mount should be good, the Peerless seems more user friendly. Throw distance would factor in the screen selection as well, so you can help determine the gain, if any, that might be needed. Alot of people have had good experiences with the Elite screens. As the bulb dims, a little higher gain screen might be a consideration, 1.3 vs 1.0 gain?, allowing you to keep the pj in eco mode.
post #167 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Search and you shall find, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/60#post_21318127 Either mount should be good, the Peerless seems more user friendly. Throw distance would factor in the screen selection as well, so you can help determine the gain, if any, that might be needed. Alot of people have had good experiences with the Elite screens. As the bulb dims, a little higher gain screen might be a consideration, 1.3 vs 1.0 gain?, allowing you to keep the pj in eco mode.

Thank you very much
post #168 of 1271
Just got done doing my basement. I have an Epson 5020ub projecting on a Carada 106" screen. I have it mounted by a Chief RSMAU Mini Elite. I have everything running through an Onkyo TX-NR818. My speakers are Axiom M60 towers, VP150 center, and a EP350 sub. My sides and backs are ceiling flush mount speakers.











post #169 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDan View Post



That's one nice install! Just curious why you tilted the projector when we have vertical lens shift?
post #170 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by apogee82 View Post

That's one nice install! Just curious why you tilted the projector when we have vertical lens shift?

I could have gone either way i guess. I basically tried to get it close as possible with the mount and then I fine tuned it with the shifts.
post #171 of 1271
Nice room, congratulations!
post #172 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDan View Post

I could have gone either way i guess. I basically tried to get it close as possible with the mount and then I fine tuned it with the shifts.

Yes, but by tilting it you introduce "keystoning". Having to mess with the keystone on the projector will affect your image, so it might be best to level the projector and make use of the shift lens on the projector.

I have a similar situation and added a 3" Chief extension tube to lower the projector a bit, but I'm using the lens shift. Much better results this way.
post #173 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by weborican View Post

Yes, but by tilting it you introduce "keystoning". Having to mess with the keystone on the projector will affect your image, so it might be best to level the projector and make use of the shift lens on the projector.

I have a similar situation and added a 3" Chief extension tube to lower the projector a bit, but I'm using the lens shift. Much better results this way.

Yeah, I think I had to go to around -12 on the keystone to get it lined up. I'll have to try your method and see if I notice a difference. I wasn't sure what would cause more affect on the image, the keystone adjustments or the lens shift adjustments. I don't really want to add an extension. This is my first home theater so I'm kinda novice on this stuff still. Thanx for the input!
post #174 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDan View Post

Yeah, I think I had to go to around -12 on the keystone to get it lined up. I'll have to try your method and see if I notice a difference. I wasn't sure what would cause more affect on the image, the keystone adjustments or the lens shift adjustments. I don't really want to add an extension. This is my first home theater so I'm kinda novice on this stuff still. Thanx for the input!
Digital keystone will shift around the pixels in the image to fit into the (smaller) area that hits your rectangular screen. Thus you end up using less pixels and the projector also has to decide which ones to discard. For example maybe you start with a 1920x1080 image, but with only vertical keystone adjustment you may end up with a trapezoid that's 1920x1080 on the bottom and 1520x1080 on the top.

Lens shift uses optics to shift the entire projected image, it uses lenses to shift the projected image. There should be no ill effects on the image* (except that no lenses are perfect... but compared to keystone it should always be much better).
post #175 of 1271
I continue to like this projector the more that I use it. So far I pretty much only watch 3D on it, and I think it's just great for this. I have some side-by-side files and it handles those very well too.
I love the ease of operation, and no handshake issues at all now with my OPPO 103 and RedMere cable.

I also watched some non-3D animation last night and it really sparkled. PLENTY bright even in THX mode for 2D in my set-up.

While I'm still using my JVC for 2D content, I honestly think I'd be perfectly happy this this as my only projector. I will certainly go ahead and sell my emitter and 2 pair of JVC glasses now, Great as it is, I'm NEVER going back to that for 3D.
And the Epson was 1000 less than the JVC, a heck of a value if you ask me.

S A M 33
post #176 of 1271




post #177 of 1271
can someone describe step by step EXACTLY how to do the panels alignment please?


thanks
post #178 of 1271
Frame interpolation/jerkiness -in reply to an earlier post.

For me the FI works well with 24fps material, dvds, blurays etc. and to my eyes, is necessary as the raw feed in some cases is just too jerky (oppo93 direct) (particularly moderate/fast panning scenes).

When the material is streamed the frame interpolation seems to cause problems making the jerkyness worse (but the raw material seems less jerky) so i switch the FI off for that.

On that small amount of evidence I concluded that the way the FI works is dependent on the source material..? biggrin.gif

Some of the Onkyo AVRs also have a bug that causes the image to stutter every 41 seconds (or something IIRC) when playing 1080 HD. So running direct from source to PJ may help. Definitely the NR808 vintage, not sure about later models.
post #179 of 1271
Handshaking...

No failure to hand shake, but it does take a long while if the source or input is changed etc. Maybe 10 seconds or so. It seems to be irrespective of source, Oppo93 direct, or via 808.
post #180 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

can someone describe step by step EXACTLY how to do the panels alignment please?


thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread#post_21295375

Look at the associated links in that post, inform yourself concerning the "pixel splitting" that can occur using the procedure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...