or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 20

post #571 of 1270
There is an excellent review of the 5020ub(e) in the latest issue of Home Theater magazine. It garnered a TOP PICK.
post #572 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreelle View Post

Ok, I am trying to update the firmware in my 5020ub projector. I got the firmware from Epson support. The firmware file name is TW8000series-wwv108_AS.DLT. I have two problems. The instructions they sent say to hold the power and enter buttons while turning on the power switch. The power light will be blue, and the temp orange. (the istuctions are for a 5010. I get a blue power light, and green lamp and temp light. When I try to download the firmware to the projector, the program says the projector models do not match. Emailed Epson and they say that I have the correct firmware. I sent another email about the lights and have not herd back yet. Not sure what to do at this point… Any ideas?

it would be better if you call Epson support and ask for their advance product support team smile.gifconfused.gif
post #573 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravaasi View Post

Now that my pj is all setup and everything, I am seeing that the Cable HD broadcasts are much more clearer on my screen than the blu-ray movies being played on my blu-ray player. The blu-ray movies have so much of noise as compared to almost no noise with HD signals from Verizon fios. I have Sony BDP570 blue-ray player and all the movies I am trying to play are brand new released in last couple of months. My setup is this :

Blu-ray player, Fios Cable box, XBox 360, Apple TV --> Sony receiver -> Powered HDMI Splitter --> projector
--> TV


Any suggestions ?


This doesn't sound right. Actually sounds impossible. Like he said check your boy ray. Cable can't touch a blue ray signal because its compressed.
post #574 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

There is an excellent review of the 5020ub(e) in the latest issue of Home Theater magazine. It garnered a TOP PICK.



Picked mine up in March. Had a defect, red lines flashing on the screen. Replaced with a "refurbished model" from Epson that came with junk on the lens. Finally got a brand new projector that is perfect. Epson makes good on its stuff with overnight shipping both ways.
post #575 of 1270
I absolutely loved my 5020 till tonight. It started giving my white flashes and would black out completely from time to time. Didn't matter what input it was on did the same. I checked everything besides connecting a device direct to see if it was my connection. I really doubt it is my connection. My devices are several feet away and damn hard to connect directly. I am running Cat5 dual cables to my pj. Anybody else experience this or is this a call directly to epson?
post #576 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

I am running Cat5 dual cables to my pj. Anybody else experience this or is this a call directly to epson?

Are you running some kind of HDMI over cat5 setup? If so, for testing purposes, I would rig up a short hdmi connection to see if it does the same thing. Could be a handshake issue due to your setup.
post #577 of 1270
Curios on the settings you guys are using watching movies brightness, contrast, color temp, and power consumption
I've set mine to brightness to – 6, contrast +2, color temp 7000k power to normal this is at night time no light
If someone with more experience can post what the settings they are using, also on the pioneer blu-ray
bdp-53fd 24p on or off

Thanks C
post #578 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post

Curios on the settings you guys are using watching movies brightness, contrast, color temp, and power consumption
I've set mine to brightness to – 6, contrast +2, color temp 7000k power to normal this is at night time no light
If someone with more experience can post what the settings they are using, also on the pioneer blu-ray
bdp-53fd 24p on or off

Thanks C

For nighttime viewing I use the thx preset. I ran the Disney calib disc and this setting was pretty much spot on. For daytime the natural mode seems the best in my setup. I will be having isf calibration done in June. So I'm sure I'll have better settings then.
post #579 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Are you running some kind of HDMI over cat5 setup? If so, for testing purposes, I would rig up a short hdmi connection to see if it does the same thing. Could be a handshake issue due to your setup.

If it still does it tonight that's what I am going to try.
post #580 of 1270
Is there an IR sensor on the front of the 5020 as well as on the back? I'm thinking of mounting the projector on a shelf on the back of the wall But can see how I might have a problem with the IR sensor if using the shelf, the sensor would be completely blocked. Has anyone else encountered this, or used a shelf to mount the projector on the back wall? I can use a ceiling mount if I need to, but wanted to use the shelf to get the projector as close to the ceiling as possible as my ceilings are relatively low.
post #581 of 1270
^^
According to the owners manual there is only the one eye at the top rear of the unit.

I sit below and slightly in front of my pj and have not experienced any issues when pointing my remote towards the front wall/screen. I suspect the eye is sensitive enough where it can pickup reflected signals pretty well. You are probably OK unless you block the eye from reflected signals too.
post #582 of 1270
Well I finally got my room done and got the 5020 hookup and running. My first impressions are that I am not impressed. From the lack of black level (bars on side or top depending on signal are grey not black) lack of sharpness to bad motion blur. Now having said this, this is my first projector so I am hoping that some adjustments will help, if not then this was definitely a mistake getting this projector. First off on the black level I have read that you need to run auto iris to get the best blacks and that you can hear the iris working. I hear nothing when I turn it on and see no change on the screen. Is there a test I can do to see if it is working or not? I also read that the LCD alignment needs to be done but when I go in to do it I am not sure what I am suppose to do. The first part the yellow box that comes up in the corner looks like it is three pixels wide. Is this normal? Could someone please explain how to do this adjustment? Any help would be appreciated.
post #583 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Well I finally got my room done and got the 5020 hookup and running. My first impressions are that I am not impressed. From the lack of black level (bars on side or top depending on signal are grey not black) lack of sharpness to bad motion blur. Now having said this, this is my first projector so I am hoping that some adjustments will help, if not then this was definitely a mistake getting this projector. First off on the black level I have read that you need to run auto iris to get the best blacks and that you can hear the iris working. I hear nothing when I turn it on and see no change on the screen. Is there a test I can do to see if it is working or not? I also read that the LCD alignment needs to be done but when I go in to do it I am not sure what I am suppose to do. The first part the yellow box that comes up in the corner looks like it is three pixels wide. Is this normal? Could someone please explain how to do this adjustment? Any help would be appreciated.

I have the Epson 6020 (basically the same projector). This is my third projector and I'm here to tell you this is an awesome projector and the black levels are VERY good. Blacks are leaps and bounds better than my last 2 projectors.

What are you using for a screen?

Are you in a completely light controlled room or did you test this in a bright room with windows (daylight) or lights on? Projectors (actually...screens) suck with the lights on. This is because your screen is reflecting not only the projector's light but all the other light in the room too. You should not expect the same brightness (with the lights on) as compared to a rear projected picture (like flat panel tv. that light comes from inside and is not reflected light). Your picture will look washed out with the lights on.
I found the black levels very good with the auto iris off and a little better with it on. It's a very quick iris and you won't notice it working unless you really know what to look for. It is silent too.
I have not fine tuned mine yet except for a little bit of color, brightness and contrast control. When I get some hours on the bulb, I'll get a calibration Blu-Ray and do more. Somewhere I have the 3 correct plastic color tints for doing this.
I have not aligned my pixels yet, but haven't really seen a strong need to. Again, I'm sure I'll get into this later.

With minor adjustments, this projector looks pretty good right out of the box.
post #584 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Well I finally got my room done and got the 5020 hookup and running. My first impressions are that I am not impressed. From the lack of black level (bars on side or top depending on signal are grey not black) lack of sharpness to bad motion blur. Now having said this, this is my first projector so I am hoping that some adjustments will help, if not then this was definitely a mistake getting this projector. First off on the black level I have read that you need to run auto iris to get the best blacks and that you can hear the iris working. I hear nothing when I turn it on and see no change on the screen. Is there a test I can do to see if it is working or not? I also read that the LCD alignment needs to be done but when I go in to do it I am not sure what I am suppose to do. The first part the yellow box that comes up in the corner looks like it is three pixels wide. Is this normal? Could someone please explain how to do this adjustment? Any help would be appreciated.

ei, can you provide more info. for example, how large is your screen, and how far is the unit from the screen?(throw distance). smile.gif
also, try to reset the unit 1st before doing anything else.
post #585 of 1270
Ok, just an update. The current firmware for the 5020ub is version 1.03. I was sent the wrong firmware. Epson sent me the correct firmware with updated instructions, and they worked. Now my firmware version is 1.03 and the projector is working great. No more picture blanking out when the refresh rate is set to 60hz. It also appears as if they improved the 3d performance as the picture looks smother. At least that is my perception. Thanks for the responses.
post #586 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl13th View Post

ei, can you provide more info. for example, how large is your screen, and how far is the unit from the screen?(throw distance). smile.gif
also, try to reset the unit 1st before doing anything else.

My screen is only 84” and the projector is about 11.5’ from the screen. I figured with only displaying a 84” picture that the image quality would be better than if I was displaying a 120” picture. I am able to control the light in the room and even at night when it is completely dark, the bars are grey not black. The motion blur is real bad, reminds me of a LCD tv I had. Also the screen door effect is very noticeable.
post #587 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

My screen is only 84” and the projector is about 11.5’ from the screen. I figured with only displaying a 84” picture that the image quality would be better than if I was displaying a 120” picture. I am able to control the light in the room and even at night when it is completely dark, the bars are grey not black. The motion blur is real bad, reminds me of a LCD tv I had. Also the screen door effect is very noticeable.

I've only been using my 6020 for a couple of weeks, so I'll let someone else try and find a solution.

But I've got about 160 inch screen in a light controlled theater.
Throw is about 17 feet.
No motion blur and no screen door effect.
My picture is amazing.

This is my first LCD projector. I've had DLP before and mine is much better than the DLPs I had.

On a screen that small, it may be having some issues because of adjustments.
Are you using ECO mode?
Have you adjusted the brightness and the contrast?


I hope you find a solution.
post #588 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

My screen is only 84” and the projector is about 11.5’ from the screen. I figured with only displaying a 84” picture that the image quality would be better than if I was displaying a 120” picture. I am able to control the light in the room and even at night when it is completely dark, the bars are grey not black. The motion blur is real bad, reminds me of a LCD tv I had. Also the screen door effect is very noticeable.

Sounds like something is not right.

When you say, "........even at night.......", do you have all lights off in the room? The darker the room the better the black and contrast.

As far as motion blur and screen door, I would check to make sure you are not doing any video processing before the signal gets to the pj. If you are running it through your pre/pro or AVR, make sure all video processing is OFF.

Are you getting 1080p to the pj? You can check this from the main menu.

Have you tried all the various picture modes on the main menu (Dynamic, Living Room, etc.)? Do you notice any differences?

I notice motion blur myself and have not noticed any on this pj. I have a 50" Sony XBR LCD in our bedroom and I cannot watch it for this reason alone so I know exactly what it is and I can tell you this pj does not have any noticeable motion blur. Nor any screen door affect - I have never seen that with any tv anyway.
post #589 of 1270
Thanks for the replies. Jeff I wish I could make the same statement as you as far as the amazing picture.
When I say dark I mean a completely dark room, no light or lights on. I am doing no video processing; the projector is connected directly to my PS3 and Directv box. I am also running in thx with the lamp set to eco.
post #590 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Thanks for the replies. Jeff I wish I could make the same statement as you as far as the amazing picture.
When I say dark I mean a completely dark room, no light or lights on. I am doing no video processing; the projector is connected directly to my PS3 and Directv box. I am also running in thx with the lamp set to eco.

try this, disconnect all the sources, test the unit as a standalone. reset the unit 1st. ->reset -> reset all
and if, as a standalone - it is noticeable (try pattern test also) then it has a problem with its 3LCD. -> Standalone Only
post #591 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Thanks for the replies. Jeff I wish I could make the same statement as you as far as the amazing picture.
When I say dark I mean a completely dark room, no light or lights on. I am doing no video processing; the projector is connected directly to my PS3 and Directv box. I am also running in thx with the lamp set to eco.

Are you using HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 with these sources? Is the picture the same on both ports and sources?
post #592 of 1270
Karl if I just display the blue test patten it seems ok I guess. Willy I have one plugged into one HDMI port and the other in the other HDMI port. Looks the same on both. Another question if you look at the lens of the projector with it on do you see what looks like fog on the one lens. Looks like it is on the inside of the lens. Or maybe I am just seeing the light going through it. Also I still don't understand this LCD alignment, what am I suppose to do when the yellow box in the corner shows up, again the lines look like they are three pixels wide. Thanks for the help.
post #593 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Karl if I just display the blue test patten it seems ok I guess. Willy I have one plugged into one HDMI port and the other in the other HDMI port. Looks the same on both. Another question if you look at the lens of the projector with it on do you see what looks like fog on the one lens. Looks like it is on the inside of the lens. Or maybe I am just seeing the light going through it. Also I still don't understand this LCD alignment, what am I suppose to do when the yellow box in the corner shows up, again the lines look like they are three pixels wide. Thanks for the help.

You might have a defective unit. Suggest you call Epson tech support. I have heard they are very good.
post #594 of 1270
Where can I get the best ceiling mount for 5020UBe ??? Thanks in advance
post #595 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizMarkie View Post

Where can I get the best ceiling mount for 5020UBe ??? Thanks in advance

What is your definition of Best?

I purchased an aluminum mount on Ebay before for a different projector and was perfectly happy with it. It was simple but effective...and cheap (around $50).
My 6020 came with a mount and it is very nice. It has a lock/key and is painted black.

I don't think it really matters all that much. Mounts are very simple. Just make sure you have Roll, Pitch and Yaw control.
post #596 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizMarkie View Post

Where can I get the best ceiling mount for 5020UBe ??? Thanks in advance
There are dozens of mounts out there on the market, but it depends on your situation and what you need.

I'm a huge proponent of mounts which offer interchangeable columns, have micro adjust, and are really solid, so after testing about half a dozen mounts I stick with the Chief RPMAU (RPMBU/RPMCU).

The setup of a poorly built mount can work, and may work fine for you, but if it gets bumped then you may be back to square one for setting it up again. Setting up your projector on a mount, so it is perfectly square with the screen can take half an hour or more, and that's not something I would want to have to do over and over again because I bumped the mount, or even worse, because the mount isn't strong enough and drifts. Or, it shakes every time someone upstairs walks across the floor (which could be a different issue).

So, I only buy the Chief RPMAU mount at this point. It is just better than anything else I have ever put my hands on and gets me the precise adjustments I want in a setup.

On a different note, this was one of the better 'cheap' mounts I ever used:
http://www.simplylowprice.com/NPL-Projector-Mount-Black-p/6521.htm

It includes a basic pipe, has a nice trim flange, includes the ceiling fitting, and allows for an interchangeable pipe for different extensions as you want. Under $50 is nice. The adjustments are all you must have, but it doesn't lock in as well as the Chief, and doesn't offer micro adjustments so it can take a very long time to square up properly and have every bolt tightened down completely.
post #597 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

There are dozens of mounts out there on the market, but it depends on your situation and what you need.

I'm a huge proponent of mounts which offer interchangeable columns, have micro adjust, and are really solid, so after testing about half a dozen mounts I stick with the Chief RPMAU (RPMBU/RPMCU).

The setup of a poorly built mount can work, and may work fine for you, but if it gets bumped then you may be back to square one for setting it up again. Setting up your projector on a mount, so it is perfectly square with the screen can take half an hour or more, and that's not something I would want to have to do over and over again because I bumped the mount, or even worse, because the mount isn't strong enough and drifts. Or, it shakes every time someone upstairs walks across the floor (which could be a different issue).

So, I only buy the Chief RPMAU mount at this point. It is just better than anything else I have ever put my hands on and gets me the precise adjustments I want in a setup.

On a different note, this was one of the better 'cheap' mounts I ever used:
http://www.simplylowprice.com/NPL-Projector-Mount-Black-p/6521.htm

It includes a basic pipe, has a nice trim flange, includes the ceiling fitting, and allows for an interchangeable pipe for different extensions as you want. Under $50 is nice. The adjustments are all you must have, but it doesn't lock in as well as the Chief, and doesn't offer micro adjustments so it can take a very long time to square up properly and have every bolt tightened down completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

What is your definition of Best?

I purchased an aluminum mount on Ebay before for a different projector and was perfectly happy with it. It was simple but effective...and cheap (around $50).
My 6020 came with a mount and it is very nice. It has a lock/key and is painted black.

I don't think it really matters all that much. Mounts are very simple. Just make sure you have Roll, Pitch and Yaw control.


THANKS FOR THE REPLY..
I think I will go with Chief RPMAU Elite ..Checking on Crutchfield ....its $200 free shipping...Is it good deal???
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051RPMAU/Chief-RPMAU-Elite.html?tp=1416#details-tab
post #598 of 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizMarkie View Post


THANKS FOR THE REPLY..
I think I will go with Chief RPMAU Elite ..Checking on Crutchfield ....its $200 free shipping...Is it good deal???
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051RPMAU/Chief-RPMAU-Elite.html?tp=1416#details-tab
$141.36 shipped...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPMCU-Chief-Manufacturing-RPA-Elite-Universal-Projector-Mount-/290899552661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43baf6e995

I often wait and watch eBay and pick them up for around $100, but this is still a very good price on the RPMCU - The only difference between the RPMAU, RPMBU, and RPMCU is the type of key used in the lock.
post #599 of 1270
I've been very impressed with the reviews and in-person views of the 5020 at BB however I'm still torn between buying an LED TV or a projector. One thing I've been recently concerned with is the brightness of the projector light and little kids running around. I would use the Epson in a home theater set up in my basement but it would be used as the everyday "TV" down there and would be on when my kids are running around playing in the basement. Question- would it harm there eyes if they look at the light from the projector? We all know the 5020 is famed for it's brightness, I certainly don't want to blind my kids! I know this is an odd post for this but you're comments are appreciated.

Samsung UN60F8000 LED TV or Epson 5020UB????
post #600 of 1270
If the projector will be on most of the time I would go with the 60" tv.and yes while it might not blind them it most likely harm them over time.why not a smaller tv for the kids and the projector for the adults?u can wall mount it behind an ceiling mounted electric screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...