or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 26

post #751 of 1271
I've seen the "flicker" issue, but only when using the auto iris. It depends on what light areas are in the dark scene and if they move in the frame or if there's a cut to a lighter shot then back to the darker shot. I've found using the auto iris to be more of a nuisance than a help and no longer use it. The "flicker" drives me crazy too.
post #752 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

I've seen the "flicker" issue, but only when using the auto iris. It depends on what light areas are in the dark scene and if they move in the frame or if there's a cut to a lighter shot then back to the darker shot. I've found using the auto iris to be more of a nuisance than a help and no longer use it. The "flicker" drives me crazy too.

The problem I have is that with the auto iris turned off you are not getting the best blacks that you can. So it seems like this is a problem that epson needs to address. It is bad enough that I have to wait 10 sec every time I change channels for the picture to come up on the screen but to have to put up with the flickering is ridicules. Glad I paid 2500 for this fine piece of equipment.
post #753 of 1271
FYI, I visited Toronto over the weekend and went to a store trutone dot ca

What a Joke. Sales Guys are the Biggest Morons in History

I went there wanting to look at projectors and they carried Panasonic and Runco but the dark room only had the Runco; the Panasonic not in a dark room

I'm sure they did that intentionally so people can't see the Panasonic perform at it's best; and of course the Runco has way way higher profit margins

so I talked to the Sales Idiot and I mentioned Epson and he tells me Epson is not in the same league as Panasonic

even though Epson makes the panels for Panasonic and both look very similar after adjustments ; I told him that and he said it doesn't matter who makes the panels; it's about the video processing

These Sales Idiots are absolute retards

Both Epson and Panasonic make very nice comparable projectors; they are very close no matter how you look at it. I have owned both and currently have Epson

It is laughable what these sales morons tell people in the stores

I think this is good info to relay to Epson owners as well; it also tells you where NOT to buy from
post #754 of 1271
Well, consider the customer they usually deal with. An educated consumer probably isn't going in there except to maybe see something in person they've already researched. The sales reps don't own or afford the stuff they sell. If they paid AV experts with expert wages the store would be out of business. It sounds like you just went in there to argue with him, so in that sense was able to help you out perfectly.wink.gif
post #755 of 1271
I'm kinda disappointed in my 5020 currently. The LCDs don't line up perfectly, which I'm fine with, but when I go to align them the red line seems to be much wider than a pixel, or even two pixels. As if it is out of focus, but the other 2 colors aren't.

Am I missing something here? I do not have it set up perfectly perpendicular to the screen yet, so I have a little bit of natural keystone I still need to correct. But it's only on the red so I'm not optimistic. What gives? It's annoying having some color bleed on the sides of white text.

Another question.... is there a way to trim the picture without a border? My projection wall is borderless, and some signals have bleed on the right side in particular. I get a green vertical line there. It only happens on certain signals, which tells me it's not the projector. There is an overscan feature but I don't see any affect on this artifact.
post #756 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Compactness NO Same size as a flat panel. Weight Yes. PQ close on 1080p but not even close on 720P or 1080I. If you have ever seen a high end plasma that has been calibrated by a pro, then you know what I am talking about.


I am not sure if you are a plasma/TV set fanboy, have a hate for projectors, or just have no clue what you're talking about. You compare a sub $2500 projector with plasma's at twice that price. My Kuro Elite 141FD was three times the price. You say 1080 content is close, yet 720P or 1080I is not even close. Well of course not. Its comparing apples to oranges. A dinky 60" set in comparison to a 120" screen is a massive difference, flaws stand out a lot more, and sometimes, jump out at you. Forget that even the best 1080P content is limited here on these sizes. The biggest difference in PQ on any set is the source content, and what has been done to the content. 720P/1080I on certain cable companies is compressed so bad, its near unwatchable on the larger screens.

I have seen this PJ at a friends place, his setup is not the best of situations, and the PQ is getting there in terms of my Kuro that has been professionally calibrated. His 120" screen blows my Kuro out of the water when it comes to actually watching content and getting immersed in it. Are their differences, sure. You blanket statements are just nonsense. I have seen the 90" TV sets, and they are NOTHING to be proud of. Anyone with this PJ can show this off without thinking twice. In fact, I say it can easily fight with PJ's in the 4-5K range, for most viewers.
post #757 of 1271
I have to agree, having bought many demo items from them. I don't mind stores pushing what gives them a good profit etc, but, I dislike stores that give completely wrong information. Its even worse when they just lie straight out. There was a good shop north of Toronto, long since closed, owner retired. Him and his staff, didn't know something, they told you. "ahh jeez, I don't know. I will have to do some research ok?" I get it, you cannot be up to snuff on everything, its near impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

FYI, I visited Toronto over the weekend and went to a store trutone dot ca

What a Joke. Sales Guys are the Biggest Morons in History

I went there wanting to look at projectors and they carried Panasonic and Runco but the dark room only had the Runco; the Panasonic not in a dark room

I'm sure they did that intentionally so people can't see the Panasonic perform at it's best; and of course the Runco has way way higher profit margins

so I talked to the Sales Idiot and I mentioned Epson and he tells me Epson is not in the same league as Panasonic

even though Epson makes the panels for Panasonic and both look very similar after adjustments ; I told him that and he said it doesn't matter who makes the panels; it's about the video processing

These Sales Idiots are absolute retards

Both Epson and Panasonic make very nice comparable projectors; they are very close no matter how you look at it. I have owned both and currently have Epson

It is laughable what these sales morons tell people in the stores

I think this is good info to relay to Epson owners as well; it also tells you where NOT to buy from
post #758 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post

I'm kinda disappointed in my 5020 currently. The LCDs don't line up perfectly, which I'm fine with, but when I go to align them the red line seems to be much wider than a pixel, or even two pixels. As if it is out of focus, but the other 2 colors aren't.




I noticed this too with the red, green & blue are good but the red is hazy or like you said not in focus
mine is really noticeable on the left upper side of the screen what gives with this
post #759 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post

I'm kinda disappointed in my 5020 currently. The LCDs don't line up perfectly, which I'm fine with, but when I go to align them the red line seems to be much wider than a pixel, or even two pixels. As if it is out of focus, but the other 2 colors aren't.

Am I missing something here? I do not have it set up perfectly perpendicular to the screen yet, so I have a little bit of natural keystone I still need to correct. But it's only on the red so I'm not optimistic. What gives? It's annoying having some color bleed on the sides of white text.

Another question.... is there a way to trim the picture without a border? My projection wall is borderless, and some signals have bleed on the right side in particular. I get a green vertical line there. It only happens on certain signals, which tells me it's not the projector. There is an overscan feature but I don't see any affect on this artifact.

There have been some discussions regarding that "blurry", or "smearing", behavior in the 5010 as well. My 6010 exhibits a blurry blue on the left side, but from viewing distance it's not noticeable. There may be a thing or two to try to help it, but some have observed it may be due to the alignment software, and a complete fix may not be likely, and if your not going to be happy, you may have to switch to a different brand? Anyhow, here are some related links, and observations.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/930#post_21625115

"Also, you might try setting the focus on the outer quadrants vs the center. I think it was less pronounced on some units when they were mounted "right side up", and/or when less lens shift was used, and setting focus on the outer quadrants might help a bit as well? Instead of focusing here, [ - ], set the focus by concentrating in these areas, [ - - ]. If the alignment is within 1 pixel, it could be considered normal. 100% alignment is near impossible on 3 lcd."

Some posts related to alignment you might want to look at in the first post of the 5010/6010 thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread And look into the "pixel width" discussion threads as well. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/1290#post_21779171
post #760 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

The problem I have is that with the auto iris turned off you are not getting the best blacks that you can. So it seems like this is a problem that epson needs to address. It is bad enough that I have to wait 10 sec every time I change channels for the picture to come up on the screen but to have to put up with the flickering is ridicules. Glad I paid 2500 for this fine piece of equipment.

I take it you tried reducing the speed of the iris setting? I actually don't use mine, as the native contrast is pretty decent, but yeah, you'd expect for the money, that those issues wouldn't exist.
post #761 of 1271
I turned my auto iris off. To noisy. It was like hearing rats scratching around in the walls while watching quiet scenes. Oh and just yesterday it made a brief gear stripping noise during lens adjustment in startup. I guess the honeymoon is over!
post #762 of 1271
Ktm, is your delay due to switching from SD channels to HD? Mine had some delay so I corrected it by forcing the cable box output to hd resolution no matter what. I haven't noticed any loss of quality on sd channels and the signal never drops now.
post #763 of 1271
no I did not go into the store trutone dot ca to argue with him. I went to there to actually see some product and it is waste of my time to hear a sales idiot ******** the hell out of me

I make way more money than that sales idiot does and I have the money to spend but will NEVER give them a penny after that experience

he bashed the Oppo Blu-Ray player even though the whole Audio/Video world says they are great; he lied about Epson and Panasonic

He lied about the Arcam Blu-ray player, which did not play my disc even though EVERY other player played this disc fine including an NAD in that same store

He didn't hook up the NAD player in the dark room so I could see my material on the Runco projectors in there. Of course they didn't want to display the Panasonic in that room; they had it in an open area with other TV's nearby and light

When I told him the Arcam did NOT have the best software for playing different kinds of discs, he argued and said it was "built to spec" Well, Mr Sales Moron, how come all the other players played my disc? they are also build to spec

The Arcam has quality but is missing too many features and fails to play burned discs quite often and it is more expensive

I wonder if these sale idiots at the stores realize how many more sales they Lose by Lying than they gain

in addition, there is projector central, projector reviews, hometheater, hometheaterhifi, AVS forums, etc, etc,etc

do these sales idiots every read the detailed info on these sites?
post #764 of 1271
^^
Alas, this seems to be a common problem everywhere I guess. Customer service being the most obvious spots for "warm bodies" to answer phones and not offer anything but the most basic and elementary help. It is a shame because these are the front line people that deal with their customers. I am dealing with ATT right now on a phone line problem that dates back 5 years! They send tech after tech to my business but none seems to know what to do and I have to explain the problem again and again every time they send someone out. I think there is just too much turnover and the good people they do have are overworked trying to take up the slack of everyone else.

You mention Oppo.............They are one of the best at customer service. Parasound is another. I have heard that Epson also has great support but luckily I have not had to prove that. wink.gif
post #765 of 1271
OK, just got my 5020 yesterday and set it up today. I sure would appreciate some help from you guys. I'm sure these questions have been answered already but I can't find them (yes, I've looked!).

1. Recommended settings? I'm pretty sure I'm partial to Cinema (THX is just a bit too flat), but other than that I'd like some help. Seems a little too red for one thing.
2. Auto Iris; this is my first PJ and as such I'm not sure what I should do about this setting
3. Eco or normal? I liked Normal better but not surre again.
4. Convergence, lcd lining up, etc? Just saw some mention of this. What should I be looking for?
5. Super Resolution? Not sure I want this or not. I'm usually pretty leery of "enhancements".

Please, if someone with experience could spare some time I;d appreciate it. We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight on BD. The 1st 15 minutes had me pretty worried as the picture was not stellar, very soft at times and lacking contrast (blacks). It picked up after that and most scenes were quite nice. I'm picky though and want to be sure I;m getting the most out this PJ.

Thanks a bunch!

FJ
post #766 of 1271
Please post some pics of the Black Diamond 1.4 and the Epson. Some dark room shots and some day time shots with full power would be great. Thank you!
post #767 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

OK, just got my 5020 yesterday and set it up today. I sure would appreciate some help from you guys. I'm sure these questions have been answered already but I can't find them (yes, I've looked!).

1. Recommended settings? I'm pretty sure I'm partial to Cinema (THX is just a bit too flat), but other than that I'd like some help. Seems a little too red for one thing.
2. Auto Iris; this is my first PJ and as such I'm not sure what I should do about this setting
3. Eco or normal? I liked Normal better but not surre again.
4. Convergence, lcd lining up, etc? Just saw some mention of this. What should I be looking for?
5. Super Resolution? Not sure I want this or not. I'm usually pretty leery of "enhancements".

Please, if someone with experience could spare some time I;d appreciate it. We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight on BD. The 1st 15 minutes had me pretty worried as the picture was not stellar, very soft at times and lacking contrast (blacks). It picked up after that and most scenes were quite nice. I'm picky though and want to be sure I;m getting the most out this PJ.

Thanks a bunch!

FJ

The only ADJUSTMENT I made since it was NEW is: TURN OFF AUTO IRIS
post #768 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

OK, just got my 5020 yesterday and set it up today. I sure would appreciate some help from you guys. I'm sure these questions have been answered already but I can't find them (yes, I've looked!).

1. Recommended settings? I'm pretty sure I'm partial to Cinema (THX is just a bit too flat), but other than that I'd like some help. Seems a little too red for one thing.
2. Auto Iris; this is my first PJ and as such I'm not sure what I should do about this setting
3. Eco or normal? I liked Normal better but not surre again.
4. Convergence, lcd lining up, etc? Just saw some mention of this. What should I be looking for?
5. Super Resolution? Not sure I want this or not. I'm usually pretty leery of "enhancements".

Please, if someone with experience could spare some time I;d appreciate it. We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight on BD. The 1st 15 minutes had me pretty worried as the picture was not stellar, very soft at times and lacking contrast (blacks). It picked up after that and most scenes were quite nice. I'm picky though and want to be sure I;m getting the most out this PJ.

Thanks a bunch!

FJ

and again.....

Most of the information your looking for is in the 6010/5010 thread, last years model. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread

1. Recommended settings? I'm pretty sure I'm partial to Cinema (THX is just a bit too flat), but other than that I'd like some help. Seems a little too red for one thing.

Use the setting(s) that you like. Projectorreviews.com usually talks about some settings during their reviews, but someone's settings can be different than yours due to environment, screens, etc. http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5020/calibration.php

2. Auto Iris; this is my first PJ and as such I'm not sure what I should do about this setting

Off = no iris, and your just using the native contrast of the panels, normal = most content that doesn't change in brightness alot, fast = content changes alot, such as in video games. The iris can be a little noisy at times, but it will improve the blacks some. I don't use mine, I think the native contrast is pretty good without it.

3. Eco or normal? I liked Normal better but not surre again.

Again, use what you like, however normal will shorten the lamp life some. These are pretty bright, and on a new bulb I suspect eco mode would suffice.

4. Convergence, lcd lining up, etc? Just saw some mention of this. What should I be looking for?

See the first thread here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread and look over the "pixel width" discussions within those links.

5. Super Resolution? Not sure I want this or not. I'm usually pretty leery of "enhancements".

I wouldn't go above 1, but I also use a Darbee. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet
post #769 of 1271
Hi All,

I got my EH-TW8100 a week ago ( the EU version of 5020UB).
Can anyone help with a tiny issues ?
1. I've used the PJ for 5 hours or so, however, the lamp usage under setting/info remains on "0" and doesn't seem to count usage hours.
2. Do I need to wait and let the projector run for few hours before doing any calibration?
3. it's my first PJ, unlike TV it often takes me a long time to do a decent calibration, it seems like the out of box setting is pretty good.
I Wonder if it is the PJ effect on me, or do PJ usually needs less calibration

Thanks
post #770 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelGal View Post

Hi All,

I got my EH-TW8100 a week ago ( the EU version of 5020UB).
Can anyone help with a tiny issues ?
1. I've used the PJ for 5 hours or so, however, the lamp usage under setting/info remains on "0" and doesn't seem to count usage hours.
2. Do I need to wait and let the projector run for few hours before doing any calibration?
3. it's my first PJ, unlike TV it often takes me a long time to do a decent calibration, it seems like the out of box setting is pretty good.
I Wonder if it is the PJ effect on me, or do PJ usually needs less calibration

Thanks

Meter does NOT START until 10 hours are hit.

I do not believe in Calibration on theses DIGITAL Projectors.

I have owned CRT PJ's Since the 80's - They NEEDED CALIBRATION
post #771 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Meter does NOT START until 10 hours are hit.

I do not believe in Calibration on theses DIGITAL Projectors.

I have owned CRT PJ's Since the 80's - They NEEDED CALIBRATION

"NEED" Calibration? No, they don't need it. But do you want to get the maximum performance, most accurate colors and gamma? then yes, it needs it.
post #772 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Meter does NOT START until 10 hours are hit.

I do not believe in Calibration on theses DIGITAL Projectors.

I have owned CRT PJ's Since the 80's - They NEEDED CALIBRATION

I truly hope the implication here is just because a projector is "digital", it doesn't need to be calibrated. That's ridiculous. All display devices are "digital" now, and every display device can benefit from calibration. Especially considering the fact that default display modes (e.g. Vivid on a lot of flat panel TVs) are basically "torch mode" and not even close to producing an accurate image.

If projectors didn't need to be calibrated, why does the Spears & Munsil calibration disc talk about them?
post #773 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

I truly hope the implication here is just because a projector is "digital", it doesn't need to be calibrated. That's ridiculous. All display devices are "digital" now, and every display device can benefit from calibration. Especially considering the fact that default display modes (e.g. Vivid on a lot of flat panel TVs) are basically "torch mode" and not even close to producing an accurate image.

If projectors didn't need to be calibrated, why does the Spears & Munsil calibration disc talk about them?

Somebody has to keep CALIBRATOR'S REVENUE alive.

The search for perfection can be endless.

Getting the last 2% of perfection is a waste of money in my book.

I have owned 6 Digital Projectors since the switch from CRT to Digital.

I have not found a need to calibrate any of them - CALL ME CHEAP
post #774 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelGal View Post

Hi All,

I got my EH-TW8100 a week ago ( the EU version of 5020UB).
Can anyone help with a tiny issues ?
1. I've used the PJ for 5 hours or so, however, the lamp usage under setting/info remains on "0" and doesn't seem to count usage hours.
2. Do I need to wait and let the projector run for few hours before doing any calibration?
3. it's my first PJ, unlike TV it often takes me a long time to do a decent calibration, it seems like the out of box setting is pretty good.
I Wonder if it is the PJ effect on me, or do PJ usually needs less calibration

Thanks

Most recommendations are to run the pj for a couple months before a calibration, say around 200 hrs. A professional calibration can display some improvement, and at the same time, usually your brightness will take a bit of a drop. Wait a couple hundred hours, then revisit the thought. Enjoy the new pj.
post #775 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Somebody has to keep CALIBRATOR'S REVENUE alive.

The search for perfection can be endless.

Getting the last 2% of perfection is a waste of money in my book.

I have owned 6 Digital Projectors since the switch from CRT to Digital.

I have not found a need to calibrate any of them - CALL ME CHEAP

What does cheapness have to do with it at all? The AVS709 disc is free to download and use. If you're using out-of-the-box defaults on a projector, odds are you're not getting the best picture, and depending on the default you choose, it can be MUCH more than 2% off. I think most people on this forum would disagree with your stance.
post #776 of 1271
Can you use an anamorphic lens that requires horizontal stretch on this projector? i was reading the manual and it has an aspect feature of wide? would that be the same... anyone using theirs with a lens? thanks...
post #777 of 1271
No, you can't use an anamorphic lens with this one. Have to move up to the 6020.
Edited by moovtune - 7/8/13 at 11:13am
post #778 of 1271
Can anyone comment on the real world gaming lag for this PJ? I'm between this and the Sony (this one has incredible brightness, Sony has everything else).
post #779 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Can anyone comment on the real world gaming lag for this PJ? I'm between this and the Sony (this one has incredible brightness, Sony has everything else).
I have the 5010, pretty much the same as 5020/6020. The lag is pretty substantial, but it'll depend on how much you game and what type of games you play. What Sony are you thinking of getting? I hear the HW50 is quite good for gaming.
post #780 of 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

No, you can't use an anamorphic lens with this one. Have to move up to the 6020.

I've seen this cited in more than several instances and do not doubt that it is correct, however, I want to make sure before I write this projector off as a viable option for my anamorphic setup. I've scanned and searched, but haven't found my definitive answer anywhere yet. Question is: although the 5020Ube does not have the vertical stretch function for use with a vertical compression anamorphic lens, will a player such as the Oppo BDP-103 with it's vertical stretch function get the same job done with the projector in 16X9 AR? This would be over HDMI. Thanks for any responses.

Harold:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Epson 5020UB Owners Thread...