or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread" - Page 26

post #751 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Run YPAO until the 773 sets the sub volume to 0.
Set all speakers to small. Crossover to 80.
If you want to increase the sub volume tweak it at the sub.
I use the "Standard" DSP for most 5.1 material.

I dont own a PS4. You might want to ask about that in the PS4 thread.


So just wondering - why would you want to tweak the volume at the sub? Does it mess with YPAO if you set the sub volume in the reciever?

TIA
post #752 of 879
^^^^

Going back a step further, what does it mean to "run YPAO until" the 773 sets the sub to zero? Isn't it going to set the sub the same each time? Or do you mean that if it doesn't set the sub to zero, turn the volume up (or down) on the sub, THEN run YPAO again. Mr. Bond?
post #753 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Or do you mean that if it doesn't set the sub to zero, turn the volume up (or down) on the sub, THEN run YPAO again. Mr. Bond?
Yes, exactly. That will level match the speakers to the sub. If the sub is displaying more than +-10 in the AVR then you are too outside whats necessary. The display only goes to +-10. You may be at +-18 and dont know it. Best to set the sub at 0 in the AVR.
Edited by Bond 007 - 2/20/14 at 11:42am
post #754 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnr6 View Post

So just wondering - why would you want to tweak the volume at the sub? Does it mess with YPAO if you set the sub volume in the reciever?

TIA
Depends on who you ask. There are two preferred methods. Turn the sub up at the AVR or turn the sub up at the sub. Either is ok as long as youre not doing anything extreme.
If you turn up the sub more than +5 in the AVR then you can introduce distortion to the AVR signal. In that case its best to turn it up at the sub.
post #755 of 879

I just received my 773 open box from Newegg and it's perfect! I was worried about missing accessories etc. but its all there.  I like the improvements over my RX-473 especially the on screen menu and the HDMI standby passthrough. For some reason I was never able to get it to work with the 473, but now it works great.  There were times that I didn't need the surround sound but wanted to watch TV and now I can :D

post #756 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzonator View Post

I just received my 773 open box from Newegg and it's perfect! I was worried about missing accessories etc. but its all there.  I like the improvements over my RX-473 especially the on screen menu and the HDMI standby passthrough. For some reason I was never able to get it to work with the 473, but now it works great.  There were times that I didn't need the surround sound but wanted to watch TV and now I can biggrin.gif
There is an on/off switch for that. On the 473 the default is off.
It does no harm so I always keep it on. They should make that the default.
The 773 is a major step up.
post #757 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

There is an on/off switch for that. On the 473 the default is off.
It does no harm so I always keep it on. They should make that the default.
The 773 is a major step up.

With HDMI pass-through enabled, slightly more power is used, so I guess that's why there is an off option, for people who don't need pass through. (On some mfr's, like an Onkyo I used to have, it's quite a bit more power, but negligible on the 773.) In addition, I'm also guessing more power means the HDMI board is aging faster so could fail sooner. How much sooner? An hour? A week? A year? I have no idea, and like I said, I'm guessing.

Having said all that, I always leave pass-though enabled, too.

edit: Just checked the manual, p. 97, the 773 uses 3 watts in standby pass-through.
post #758 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

With HDMI pass-through enabled, slightly more power is used, so I guess that's why there is an off option, for people who don't need pass through. (On some mfr's, like an Onkyo I used to have, it's quite a bit more power, but negligible on the 773.) In addition, I'm also guessing more power means the HDMI board is aging faster so could fail sooner. How much sooner? An hour? A week? A year? I have no idea, and like I said, I'm guessing.

Having said all that, I always leave pass-though enabled, too.

edit: Just checked the manual, p. 97, the 773 uses 3 watts in standby pass-through.
That all makes sense. There should be a way to turn it off. I just find it confusing that off is the default setting.
It is a nice feature that even my denon 4311 doesn't have. Now onkyo, I have read somewhere that their hdmi
board has huge power running through it always when on. That is why they are always so hot top center back area.
I had a 1007. I'll never buy that brand again.
post #759 of 879

I did enable the pass through feature on the 473 but I could never get it to function properly.  It was disappointing because there were times I didn't need the receiver on, like when the kids were watching cartoons etc.  I have the same cable box and TV as before and all I did was swap the 473 for the 773. I did go into the menu of the 473 and enable the pass through option and when I had the receiver in standby I would power on the cable box and TV and I wouldn't get  a picture or sound.  Not sure what the difference is but it works now :)

post #760 of 879

One thing I have noticed is the on screen volume display is SO much bigger now! I didn't even like the smaller display the 473 had, but at least it was small and in the lower right corner.  This goes across the whole bottom of the screen, I guess there is now way to change it?

post #761 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzonator View Post

One thing I have noticed is the on screen volume display is SO much bigger now! I didn't even like the smaller display the 473 had, but at least it was small and in the lower right corner.  This goes across the whole bottom of the screen, I guess there is now way to change it?
No way to change it other than turn it Off.
post #762 of 879
On the subject of OSD, if you have a plasma, Gonzonator, there's a good recommendation earlier in this thread to change the AVR default image from the musical instruments or whatever it is to the option of solid gray screen. There have been incidents where a power interrupion has resuted in the default image being displayed for hours, causing image retention or worse.
post #763 of 879

Thanks, but I have a LED TV so I should be ok right?  

post #764 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzonator View Post

Thanks, but I have a LED TV so I should be ok right?  

Better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00001261&fm_seq=1429
post #765 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

On the subject of OSD, if you have a plasma, Gonzonator, there's a good recommendation earlier in this thread to change the AVR default image from the musical instruments or whatever it is to the option of solid gray screen. There have been incidents where a power interrupion has resuted in the default image being displayed for hours, causing image retention or worse.
I have a new plasma and I don't want that grand piano or a gray screen displayed for hours on end. I have all my equipment on apc backup batteries and turn everything off when I leave home. When using airplay I can turn off the default display and see hdmi 1 instead while listening to music. When I use usb or server that doesn't work. I still don't understand how a power interruption will display the piano for hours? I would like the option for tv video in the background when using server.
post #766 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

I have a new plasma and I don't want that grand piano or a gray screen displayed for hours on end. I have all my equipment on apc backup batteries and turn everything off when I leave home. When using airplay I can turn off the default display and see hdmi 1 instead while listening to music. When I use usb or server that doesn't work. I still don't understand how a power interruption will display the piano for hours? I would like the option for tv video in the background when using server.

I'm not home to verify right now, but I think I have my Server input set to display the video from my HDMI TV input. I'm thinking it's just the same as for Airplay--set the Video Out to the video source you want to display.
post #767 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

I have a new plasma and I don't want that grand piano or a gray screen displayed for hours on end. I have all my equipment on apc backup batteries and turn everything off when I leave home. When using airplay I can turn off the default display and see hdmi 1 instead while listening to music. When I use usb or server that doesn't work. I still don't understand how a power interruption will display the piano for hours? I would like the option for tv video in the background when using server.

The OP (post #421) said:

A warning to those with the 773 or probably any Yamaha receiver. I have a new plasma tv and I was running slides all day to age the pixels evenly. While I was gone at work, electricity went out for a small amount of time so the TV came back on, but the source didn't. When the source has no signal coming through, the Yamaha shows a wallpaper. That wallpaper was on for hours and the plasma got image retention because a static image of a forest was shown on the tv. . . . . If you have a plasma, I recommend that you open the "On Screen" menu, go to "Function", click on "Display Set" then "Wall Paper" and set it to "Gray". So that it doesn't accidentally happen to you.

In my own situation I dozed off to sleep watching TV and when I woke up several hours later, there it was. I don't know what happened while I was dozing that caused me to lose the source.
post #768 of 879
Thanks to both of you. On airplay I can scroll to the right and turn off the airplay display
and hitting return brings it back. That didn't work on the server screen. I'll play with the
active video setting. I would think even a gray screen for a long time isn't good for a plasma.
That is exactly why I use big backup batteries. Otherwise my directv dvr would reboot too.
post #769 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Thanks to both of you. On airplay I can scroll to the right and turn off the airplay display
and hitting return brings it back. That didn't work on the server screen. I'll play with the
active video setting. I would think even a gray screen for a long time isn't good for a plasma.
That is exactly why I use big backup batteries. Otherwise my directv dvr would reboot too.
A grey screen for a long time is definitely not good for a plasma.
post #770 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Start with page 126 of the manual. Try turning off HDMI control in either the AVR, the TV, or both, I think that might do it.

That solved my problem! Thanks.
post #771 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

A grey screen for a long time is definitely not good for a plasma.

I assume you mean the brightness of the gray field is aging the phosphors, and I think you're right. However, at least they're aging equally. I don't want that, either, but I'll take that form of "bad" over seeing the ghost of a burned in image.
post #772 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

I assume you mean the brightness of the gray field is aging the phosphors, and I think you're right. However, at least they're aging equally. I don't want that, either, but I'll take that form of "bad" over seeing the ghost of a burned in image.
I agree. Not sure that the aging of the phosphors would be the only bad reason though. In short there is NO fixed screen that should be displayed on a plasma for a long period of time. Not even black or white.
post #773 of 879

So just for S&G I was sitting at the computer this afternoon and thought to myself, what can I do with my old KLH 12" towers.  Hey why not hook them up on zone 2 and see what they sound like on the new receiver.  Not bad....not as good as the PL-89ii by far but they still make music lol.  Does the amp split the power evenly when you run zone 2 or does more still go to the main channels?  Not sure exactly how that works as I am used to only running 2 channel stereo until now.  Oh and with party mode on the computer room is silly loud.  The wife will love that next time I have some friends over for beers :).

post #774 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post
 

I have a couple of questions about the receiver:

 

  1. Does it appear as an airplay destination when it is in standby mode? Or can it be configured to do so?
  2. If yes on previous question: Can I start “air playing” to it when in standby and it will automatically wake up and switch to airplay source, without me having to do it manually?
  3. Can you make it autostart and switch source when receiving signal from another source, like digital/optical in or HDMI?
  4. Can you show video from 1 HDMI port and at the same time play audio from airplay? 
  5. And/or audio from another HDMI port or an audio only port (digital in for example)?
  6. Can you turn it on from standby in the app?

 

If you know the answer to any of these questions I'd be very grateful for an answer! Thanks!

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post


1. Yes. You must have network standby turned on.
2. Yes (I hope I'm right here--I'm sure I've done this, just not recently).
3. I'm not sure about sources other than Airplay. I always turn the AVR on first. I'll have to experiment tonight.
4. Yes. I assume you're not talking about zone 2 here. I have the Video Out for Airplay, internet radio, Server (DLNA), and the radio tuner set to HDMI1 (my TV input). This allows me to watch TV picture while listening to any of these audio sources. If I want to hear the TV, I just hit my TV scene mode button. Is this what you're talking about?
5. You cannot mix HDMI inputs (video from one, audio from another). You can set Video Out for AV1 and AV2, along with Airplay and the other ones I've listed above. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if you can do this for Audio1 and Audio2.
6. Yes.

Edit: Wow, I just can't type fast enough smile.gif With regard to 3, as someone mentioned you may be talking about HDMI control. I tried that and I hate it--rather, I couldn't be bothered to get it to work properly. If I want to turn it on remotely, the app works great.

 

I've now bought a RX-A820 (that I still can return..). And I can't figure out how to show video from one hdmi and play audio from airplay. Could someone explain how you do this?

 

(I'm assuming that since the RX-v773 can do that the RX-A820 should also be able to do it..?)

post #775 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post

I've now bought a RX-A820 (that I still can return..). And I can't figure out how to show video from one hdmi and play audio from airplay. Could someone explain how you do this?

(I'm assuming that since the RX-v773 can do that the RX-A820 should also be able to do it..?)
Menu > Input > Airplay > Video Out
post #776 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post


Menu > Input > Airplay > Video Out

Thanks, that worked! Is it possible to make it not pop up the, according to me, ugly on screen s´display of the current song when starting airplay?

post #777 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post

Thanks, that worked! Is it possible to make it not pop up the, according to me, ugly on screen s´display of the current song when starting airplay?
I dont use Airplay. Try Menu > Setup > Function > Display Set > Short Message Off
post #778 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

I assume you mean the brightness of the gray field is aging the phosphors, and I think you're right. However, at least they're aging equally. I don't want that, either, but I'll take that form of "bad" over seeing the ghost of a burned in image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I agree. Not sure that the aging of the phosphors would be the only bad reason though. In short there is NO fixed screen that should be displayed on a plasma for a long period of time. Not even black or white.

I don't know if I agree. White would be bad, because the brightness would age the phosphors quickly, and as they age the set becomes dimmer. Maybe the ability to repriduce colors accurately would also be impacted. I don't see how a black screen would cause any harm (other than just aging in general, but I'm talking about the quality of what you see). If you're saying this because of the idea that a static image is bad for a plasma, that's because of burn-in. I think somebody who watches nothing but ESPN would see the red ESPN logo lower right corner on any other channel. But if every phosphor is lighted the same way, gray, red, blue, whatever, you're not going to see anything burned in.

I don't have any hard evidence I'm right and you're wrong, this just seems intuitive to me based on what I do know. I wish some Panasonic plasma engineer would weigh in on this.
post #779 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post


I dont use Airplay. Try Menu > Setup > Function > Display Set > Short Message Off

Thanks, but that didn't stop the airplay currently playing screen that covers the whole screen..

post #780 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post

Thanks, but that didn't stop the airplay currently playing screen that covers the whole screen..
Is there an "x" option at the bottom right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread"