or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › [B]*PLEASE HELP ME*[/B] SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer {Experiences, Opinion, Thoughts, Reviews, Comparisons, Insight, & General Knowledge Or Ideas)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[B]*PLEASE HELP ME*[/B] SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer {Experiences, Opinion,... - Page 2

Poll Results: Which Is The Best Option For My Current Setup; SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer????

 
  • 45% (16)
    Rythmik FV15HP (based on sound quality / personal preference)
  • 25% (9)
    Rythmik FV15HP (based on price / slight differences doesn't justify $600 price difference)
  • 20% (7)
    SVS PB-13 Ultra (based on sound quality / personal preference)
  • 8% (3)
    Either One Will Sound Great With Your Current Setup / No Personal Preference
35 Total Votes  
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Now I understand the whole play it loud and the smile/fun factor thing but what I've yet to be able to wrap my think around is listening to anything above +/- 0 through the entirety of a full presentation. Other than to say you can go louder, what's the benefit of going louder or having more headroom than what is asked by THX reference standards?
My above is not ridicule nor argument. My above is a simple question for the purpose of someone rationally explaining a behavior; the perceived need to greatly exceed THX reference.
-

I would go so far as to question the point of spending $2,000 on one sub. No one sub is worth that unless it's allowing you to sell tickets. I believe it is all about bragging rights.
post #32 of 100
I wouldn't be driving a 350Z if I could afford a Ferrari. Bragging rights? Hell ya! Most people buy what they can afford. If you are driving a Ferrari you don't need to brag. I don't believe it's so much about bragging as people being excited to have them.
Edited by XStanleyX - 1/5/13 at 5:36pm
post #33 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I wouldn't be driving a 350Z if I could afford a Ferrari. Bragging rights? Hell ya! Most people buy what they can afford. If you are driving a Ferrari you don't need to brag. I don't believe it's so much about bragging as people being excited to have them.


Ask yourself.....Why they are excited to have them?

With your car example...I really want a Ferrari brcause few others will have one. There are many cheaper cars that may be able to out perform it in many situations. So there is really no point in having it except to have that name.
post #34 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

I would go so far as to question the point of spending $2,000 on one sub. No one sub is worth that unless it's allowing you to sell tickets. I believe it is all about bragging rights.

You're way wrong. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't heard low bass in movies 30hz and below. Most subs don't have enough output below 30hz to make much of a difference.

It is painfully obvious when one watches a 5 star bass movie and the sub fails to hit those low notes in scenes. It was for me. The action on screen did not match what I was hearing because my subs could not dig deep.

As far as no sub being worth $2000, well that's just your opinion. People spend money on different things. Unfortunately for subs, one has to pay up generally to get useable output for low bass capabilities. That's a fact.

And it has nothing to do with bragging.
Edited by quattroatl - 1/6/13 at 6:40am
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Ask yourself.....Why they are excited to have them?
With your car example...I really want a Ferrari brcause few others will have one. There are many cheaper cars that may be able to out perform it in many situations. So there is really no point in having it except to have that name.

I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not jealous of those people. I'm envious. Wish I had the ability to do it.
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

You're way wrong. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't heard low bass in movies 30hz and below. Most subs don't have enough output below 30hz to make much of a difference.
It is painfully obvious when one watches a 5 star bass movie and the sub fails to hit those low notes in scenes. It was for me. The action on screen did not match what I was hearing because my subs could not dig deep.
As far as no sub being worth $2000, well that just your opinion. People spend money on different things. Unfortunately for subs, one has to pay up generally to get useable output for low bass capabilities. That's a fact.

I could be wrong but the original reason for having a home theater was not to see how low we could go. In that case, let's just go out and get a 5' x 5' x 5' sub and get rid of all the other speakers.

You can't get very usuable bass out of a sub for less than $2,000?
post #37 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Yeah, these guys were great when I was making my sub decision. They tend to be a little Rythmik crazy at times but great. You actually asked about Rythmik though so you were on point...lol.

I did not get all of the Rythmik hype either...then I got one and understood. biggrin.gif
post #38 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

I could be wrong but the original reason for having a home theater was not to see how low we could go. In that case, let's just go out and get a 5' x 5' x 5' sub and get rid of all the other speakers.
You can't get very usuable bass out of a sub for less than $2,000?

Dude, you're missing the point. No one said $2000 was the Mendoza line for a good sub. Based on the size of a person's room, their requirements for their sub can vary greatly.

If all I did was listen to music and watch voice heavy movies, then I would not have bought the Seaton subM. But the reality for me was that I have a huge room and I love bass heavy movies. To each his own.

But you know what? You win. I give up. rolleyes.gif
post #39 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I did not get all of the Rythmik hype either...then I got one and understood. biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like your Sub. It's just that the conversation should be a little more balanced. If not, then at this point then the other sub manufacturers might as well close of shop because they have nothing people want, right? I know that that Hsu makes great subs because I own one and I may be owning two pretty soon. From what I've seen Svs makes good subs from what I've seen but even they are being lost in all the Rythmik hype.

I'm still trying to learn more and more about this whole sub thing and I need different and varying topics on different subs.

It's like I get 60 % Rythmik conversation, 20% Svs, 10% Hsu, 7% of the big boys Seaton and JTR, and every once in a while someone will come in with a Martin Logan or Velodyne sub making up the rest.
post #40 of 100
Thread Starter 
The prices i quoted may be off a little and rounded up. Also, I'm not buying 2 at once / multiples. Unfortunately there will be a 1 to 2 month gap between the purchase of the 1st and 2nd sub depending on my finances unless I hold off for 2 months, but I'm impatient at best.
post #41 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post


You can't get very usuable bass out of a sub for less than $2,000?

Useable bass is completely room dependent. The bigger the room, the less useable bass a sub has as it will get absorbed by the room. I recently came across someone that had a 10,000 cubic foot room. A $2000 commercial sub would get completely swallowed by that room. For that room, you'd likely need a commercial offering greater than $2k as a start (JTR), and multiples to achieve appropriate clean output levels (reference).

post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Useable bass is completely room dependent. The bigger the room, the less useable bass a sub has as it will get absorbed by the room. I recently came across someone that had a 10,000 cubic foot room. A $2000 commercial sub would get completely swallowed by that room. For that room, you'd likely need a commercial offering greater than $2k as a start (JTR), and multiples to achieve appropriate clean output levels (reference).

Ya know, I really want to hear a JTR or SubM. I've found a couple on Youtube but i'm usually on my laptop so none of the bass comes through. I wish there was some kinda place where the ID subs could be demoed. I know there are people to let people into their homes to listen to setups but I'm not really into that sorta thing.
post #43 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Ya know, I really want to hear a JTR or SubM. I've found a couple on Youtube but i'm usually on my laptop so none of the bass comes through. I wish there was some kinda place where the ID subs could be demoed. I know there are people to let people into their homes to listen to setups but I'm not really into that sorta thing.

If you live in the Seattle area you're more than welcome to come listen to my subless system. Bring your sub with you. biggrin.gif I'm sure we'd have a good time and I'd buy you lunch and a beer. Everybody here are good people. Except the beeman. Avoid him at all cost. biggrin.gif
Edited by XStanleyX - 1/5/13 at 6:35pm
post #44 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

If you live in the Seattle area you're more than welcome to come listen to my subless system. Bring your sub with you. biggrin.gif I'm sure we'd have a good time and I'd buy you lunch and a beer. Everybody here are good people. Except the beeman. Avoid him at all cost. biggrin.gif

Stanley, I'm sure you're a wild dude but i'm on the east coast so that would be some trip trying to drag my 15H behind me......lol. We would have to take my truck out because I don't think i'd fit into your car and I don't think the 15H would either......lol.

Speaking of subs, you should have ordered one by now. I know from your posts that you tried to buy one locally and that fell through.
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Stanley, I'm sure you're a wild dude but i'm on the east coast so that would be some trip trying to drag my 15H behind me......lol.

No, I'm actually an old man that is a tad bit disabled. North Carolina?
post #46 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

No, I'm actually an old man that is a tad bit disabled. North Carolina?

Yep, the great state of North Carolina.
post #47 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Yep, the great state of North Carolina.

Yep, good ol Tarheel. I was born in the Cherry Point Marine Corp. hospital. Next to Havelock. I knew there was something special about you. biggrin.gif
Well, enough BS from me. Back to the couch.
post #48 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Yep, good ol Tarheel. I was born in the Cherry Point Marine Corp. hospital. Next to Havelock. I knew there was something special about you. biggrin.gif
Well, enough BS from me. Back to the couch.

Go sit on the couch with a laptop and order you a sub. You know you want one.
post #49 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Go sit on the couch with a laptop and order you a sub. You know you want one.

I am. Dec. 9th. I'll be pulling the trigger. Then I'll have to wait 2-3 days for them to put it together and another 4-5 days for UPS ground. I'll try and sleep through most of it. Oops, I mean Jan.9th

4 more days. smile.gif
post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I am. Dec. 9th. I'll be pulling the trigger. Then I'll have to wait 2-3 days for them to put it together and another 4-5 days for UPS ground. I'll try and sleep through most of it. Oops, I mean Jan.9th
4 more days. smile.gif

Let me guess.....PSA XS-15 OR 30?
post #51 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I did not get all of the Rythmik hype either...then I got one and understood. biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like your Sub. It's just that the conversation should be a little more balanced. If not, then at this point then the other sub manufacturers might as well close of shop because they have nothing people want, right? I know that that Hsu makes great subs because I own one and I may be owning two pretty soon. From what I've seen Svs makes good subs from what I've seen but even they are being lost in all the Rythmik hype.

I'm still trying to learn more and more about this whole sub thing and I need different and varying topics on different subs.

It's like I get 60 % Rythmik conversation, 20% Svs, 10% Hsu, 7% of the big boys Seaton and JTR, and every once in a while someone will come in with a Martin Logan or Velodyne sub making up the rest.

Perhaps there is something to "all the Rythmik hype".
post #52 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Let me guess.....PSA XS-15 OR 30?

No, the Rythmik FV15HP. After tons of research it will fit my needs nicely. smile.gif
post #53 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post

Perhaps there is something to "all the Rythmik hype".

There just might be. I can't take anything from them. I just like stirring things up every once in a while.
post #54 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

No, the Rythmik FV15HP. After tons of research it will fit my needs nicely. smile.gif

You too? Ohhhhhhh no.........biggrin.gif
post #55 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

There just might be. I can't take anything from them. I just like stirring things up every once in a while.

Stirring things up creates good debate. Keep stirring.
post #56 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOdamnFRANK View Post

The prices i quoted may be off a little and rounded up. Also, I'm not buying 2 at once / multiples. Unfortunately there will be a 1 to 2 month gap between the purchase of the 1st and 2nd sub depending on my finances unless I hold off for 2 months, but I'm impatient at best.

i got an idea: why don't you get a hold of member smirgo,and set up a time frame for him to demo his fv15hp since your both from the philly area.
post #57 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Except the beeman. Avoid him at all cost. biggrin.gif

......eek.gif

......biggrin.gif

And he currently has crap for subwoofers.
post #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Bring it back to subs, of my collection of blu-ray's, I'd say over 75% of them dig below 20hz. So, it is very much worth it to me. I'd probably say 50% dig below 16hz.

The other thing that I would say is unlike the 65mph speed limit, sub content is not limited. There are recordings that do call for '150mph', however brief they may be. If the sub content is there and its within your budget, why not go for it? If you haven't owned a 12 second or less car, you don't know what it's like. Just as if you haven't owned a sub system that can produce clean, reference level to well below 16hz, than you don't know what it's like.

Deciding whether or not ULF is worth it, is certainly a preference thing. However, irregardless of your preference, reference does theoretically require 3hz playback. If you want to be 100% sure to deliver the content on the disc, than this should be your goal.

I keep getting lost in the emotion of the above. Does a twelve second pickup truck count? 460, Ford, F-250. biggrin.gif But the only time I could enjoy it was pulling onto the freeway.

In the case of my question, with others present, do folks here consistently listen above -10? And if so, what are their listening levels?

My question revolves around listening levels, not the need to have a system that can give flat performance down to <15Hz. I'm good with the need for flat, sub 20Hz, performance levels. My question (lack of understanding) revolves around the need for volume greater than THX reference levels. That's why I post, I understand the fun/smile factor and I understand the need for headroom. None of that is in question. I'm just trying to understand the philosophical or emotional ground between the esoteric and reality.

(I'm intentionally over thinking it here)
post #59 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Ask yourself.....Why they are excited to have them?
With your car example...I really want a Ferrari brcause few others will have one. There are many cheaper cars that may be able to out perform it in many situations. So there is really no point in having it except to have that name.
You, sir, are mistaken. There are probably NO cheaper cars that can outperform a Ferrari in ANY situation (except MPG). And let's not forget resale value. Name another car that you can buy, drive for a while and then sell for a profit. The longer you keep it, the more its worth. It is an investment (1964 GTO recently sold for $30 million). Yes, thats 30,000,000 and btw Ferrari created the GTO acronym, Gran Turismo Omologato. Pontiac just copied it. Not just a mode of transportation.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/6/13 at 5:21am
post #60 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Ask yourself.....Why they are excited to have them?
With your car example...I really want a Ferrari brcause few others will have one. There are many cheaper cars that may be able to out perform it in many situations. So there is really no point in having it except to have that name.

This says more about you and your own goals than it says about anybody else or anybody else's goals. Also it says more about your perception of automobiles than it says about the reality of them. Car analogies are always a bad idea in the subwoofer game, anyway.

You should just accept that the VTF15H was a hotter topic when you bought it, and the FV15HP is a hotter topic now. Deal, already! Poor guy, all you've got is a VTF15H. Geez. How can you live with it? May as well be a Bose bass module rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › [B]*PLEASE HELP ME*[/B] SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer {Experiences, Opinion, Thoughts, Reviews, Comparisons, Insight, & General Knowledge Or Ideas)