or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › CAN'T RECORD NETFLIX ANYMORE TO PANNY
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CAN'T RECORD NETFLIX ANYMORE TO PANNY - Page 2

post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I ran in to CP one time when i rented a movie from Vudu and had to stop the movie long enough to connect my Sima filter,then restart the movie from the beginning. tongue.gif

Both Amazon and Vudu have CP on the Roku. I haven't tried Crackle or Crunchyroll yet and I don't sub to Hulu+ to find out about that service.
post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Both Amazon and Vudu have CP on the Roku. I haven't tried Crackle or Crunchyroll yet and I don't sub to Hulu+ to find out about that service.

To date i have never had a CP problem on Crackle or Hulu+...never tried Crunchyroll or Amazon. Also never had any problems with the "lesser" providers ie; threshold,Popcornflix,Drive-in Classics,House of Horrors etc.,etc.
Edited by greaser - 1/7/13 at 1:37pm
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Not true. The Roku 2 XS DOES HAVE composite video output. It connects to a recorder using a 3.5mm>RWY RCA cable and works well with my Sima CT-2 filter. smile.gif

D'oh! You're right. I don't know how I missed those on some of the models but not others. frown.gif
post #34 of 94
What i can't understand is why i seem to get a better pic. from my Sima CT-2 when connected to my Roku than i ever did when it was connected to my old satellite receiver. confused.gif The pic. used to be too light so i often used the "darker" setting (which would sometimes be a little too dark), but now the pic.brightness seems to be just about 'right'.... or else my vision is getting worse. tongue.gif
Edited by greaser - 1/7/13 at 3:53pm
post #35 of 94
Hi, everyone...With the new year, I am trying to bring back the Video Filter if there is sufficient interest. Actually bought a Roku 2 XS and it does has composite output via the 3.5 mm connector. Will be conducting experiments in the new few days to test it out.
Maybe make a small batch and offer it for users that want to record Netflix or any other streaming video player.
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Hi, everyone...With the new year, I am trying to bring back the Video Filter if there is sufficient interest. Actually bought a Roku 2 XS and it does has composite output via the 3.5 mm connector. Will be conducting experiments in the new few days to test it out.
Maybe make a small batch and offer it for users that want to record Netflix or any other streaming video player.

Sweet news!
post #37 of 94
Id be interested in a The Video Filter, or two. I heard really good things about them.
post #38 of 94
I recently obtained and use the Sony SMP-N200 streamer (got it for $15 at MicroCenter). I like the multiple outputs (HDMI/Component/Composite) but doesn't have S-Video, and works well recording to my Panasonic DVD recorder using the MCM video filter on composite. I'll have to try the other filters later.

post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

This works just fine.
http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Link not working.
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Link not working.
Works for me...
post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Hi, everyone...With the new year, I am trying to bring back the Video Filter if there is sufficient interest. Actually bought a Roku 2 XS and it does has composite output via the 3.5 mm connector. Will be conducting experiments in the new few days to test it out.
Maybe make a small batch and offer it for users that want to record Netflix or any other streaming video player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Id be interested in a The Video Filter, or two. I heard really good things about them.

+1 I too am interested in a couple more.
post #42 of 94
OK, I just performed testing tonight using a Roku 2 XS with composite output and the Video Filter. Played " Six Degrees of Freedom Documentary" with Netflix and sure enough, the CGMS flag was set to "No Copies Permitted. When I tried recording with a Magnavox 515 HDD DVR, it did not record due to protected content. I then ran the composite video through the Video Filter and no problem recording. The filter CGMS command is set to Copy Always. For being composite, it doesn't look bad at all since the Roku has good quality output even with SD. The filter doesn't degrade the video quality at all.
post #43 of 94
This is why I just joined. I'm also interested in an alternative to Windows Media Center.
post #44 of 94
Greetings from a newbie...
Also just realized that I have the same problem with Netflix via Roku2, was working fine until a few weeks ago. Has anyone found out anything definitive about whether or not any of these converters actually work? The Grex looks promising.
Thanks,
DD
Edited by Dick Drivel - 1/19/13 at 9:25am
post #45 of 94
Thread Starter 
Just ordered this one from M.P......Should be here next week, will keep you posted as to how (well) it works......DT

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011411&p_id=8667&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Drivel View Post

Greetings from a newbie...
Also just realized that I have the same problem with Netflix via Roku2, was working fine until a few weeks ago. Has anyone found out anything definitive about whether or not any of these converters actually work? The Grex looks promising.
Thanks,
DD

Hi Dick,i recognize your user name from another forum. If your intention is to connect a filter between your Roku and a DVR or DVDR then you will probably want to get the "Video Filter" as the Roku's composite output will connect nicely with it. Don't buy a Component>s video converter cuz i'm guesssing your Roku probably doesn't have Component video out,some earlier models do but my Roku 2XS doesn't. I use my Sima CT-2 with my Roku and it works surprisingly well,but the Sima is no longer available.The Grex filter seems to get mixed reviews.Some like it,some say the video is tooo soft. Also be careful of your choice of HDMI>composite/s video converters if you choose to buy one of those cuz of the ones i've seen,none of them produce very good PQ IMHO, YMMV. The Roku's composite video out produces really excellent PQ(for composite video)better than most.
I have never used the Video Filter but many,many,people have posted here that the Video Filter is the best filter they ever used. PM "Logic Design" as he has recently stated that he is willing to make them available again.
Edited by greaser - 1/19/13 at 5:28pm
post #47 of 94
Hey Greaseman,
Thanks for the info. Perhaps something like this?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-Composite-RCA-CVBS-AV-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-For-VCR-DVD-720P-1080P-/150926816368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323f07470

So you can confirm that Roku and/or Netflix introduced copy protection in December? Or maybe I was just lucky before that, when I was simply using the A/V cable from the Roku to connect to the 'Line 2 in' of my trusty old Sony DVD recorder.
DD.
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Drivel View Post

Hey Greaseman,
Thanks for the info. Perhaps something like this?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-Composite-RCA-CVBS-AV-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-For-VCR-DVD-720P-1080P-/150926816368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323f07470

So you can confirm that Roku and/or Netflix introduced copy protection in December? Or maybe I was just lucky before that, when I was simply using the A/V cable from the Roku to connect to the 'Line 2 in' of my trusty old Sony DVD recorder.
DD.

NO,that link shows a composite video>HDMI adapter,that's the wrong item.First confirm which type of video output(other than HDMI) you have on your Roku box.If you have an earlier gen.Roku,you may have Component video output in which case you'll need a Component video>composite/s video converter. If you have composite video output(3.5mm jack connected with a Roku supplied 3.5mm>composite RWY cable to your DVDR.),which i'm assuming you have,then you'll need a video filter to place between your Roku and your DVDR,the filter will have a composite video input AND output. The filter will enable you to record from Netflix which something that a simple adapter can't do. My best advise is to PM Logic Design and ask him about the "Video Filter",OR look on ebay to see if you can find a Sima CT-2 for sale,OR buy a Grex filter.But according to a lot of Grex user/reviewers,it gives a tooo soft video image,so take that into account if you go for the Grex. There may be others around here who will step in with some other possibilities.

Roku doesn't CP anything,that's not their duty,all the Roku does is pass along CP from the source to the recorder,which then by law must honor the signal.But I can confirm from personal experience that Netflix and Vudu do CP some of their content,but not all of it.I have 'heard' that Amazon CP's some of their content too,but i can't personally confirm it although i wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Edited by greaser - 1/20/13 at 7:55am
post #49 of 94
Thanks again for your thorough explanation. According to Roku specs, both the XD and XS output the following
"Video Outputs
480i (over composite video)
480p (over HDMI)
720p (over HDMI)
1080p (over HDMI)

Video Modes
1080p High Definition (HD)
720p High Definition (HD)
16:9 anamorphic / 4:3 standard"

And yes, I use the Roku-supplied cable to connect from the A/V output jack to the video recorder. Will first wait and see what others report about their experience with filters and converters.
Just to confirm, there was absolutely no restriction on what I could record until recently. Since I hadn't tried to record anything since early December and two days ago, I don't know exactly when the copy protection started to rear its ugly head on my recorder.
post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

NO,that link shows a composite video>HDMI adapter,that's the wrong item.First confirm which type of video output(other than HDMI) you have on your Roku box.If you have an earlier gen.Roku,you may have Component video output in which case you'll need a Component video>composite/s video converter. If you have composite video output(3.5mm jack connected with a Roku supplied 3.5mm>composite RWY cable to your DVDR.),which i'm assuming you have,then you'll need a video filter to place between your Roku and your DVDR,the filter will have a composite video input AND output. The filter will enable you to record from Netflix which something that a simple adapter can't do. My best advise is to PM Logic Design and ask him about the "Video Filter",OR look on ebay to see if you can find a Sima CT-2 for sale,OR buy a Grex filter.But according to a lot of Grex user/reviewers,it gives a tooo soft video image,so take that into account if you go for the Grex. There may be others around here who will step in with some other possibilities.

Roku doesn't CP anything,that's not their duty,all the Roku does is pass along CP from the source to the recorder,which then by law must honor the signal.But I can confirm from personal experience that Netflix and Vudu do CP some of their content,but not all of it.I have 'heard' that Amazon CP's some of their content too,but i can't personally confirm it although i wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I love my Grex's, don't see any softness at all. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm running 4 of them on different DVRs and a Roku.
post #51 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I love my Grex's, don't see any softness at all. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm running 4 of them on different DVRs and a Roku.

I don't mean to imply that all grex's are bad or that people shouldn't buy/try them,it's just that the most common complaint that i've read about them is that the pic. is too soft and i wanted the poster to be aware of that potential drawback if he should decide to buy one. I know there are plenty of people that are happy with their Grex. I'm fairly/sort of happy with my Sima CT-2 but i can point out 1-2 of its flaws too,as can plenty of others. It's certainly not as good as the converters i own but it'll do in a pinch, and it seems to produce a better pic. with my Roku than it ever did with my old satellite tv. Don't know why.
Edited by greaser - 1/21/13 at 8:13pm
post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I don't mean to imply that all grex's are bad or that people shouldn't buy/try them,it's just that the most common complaint that i've read about them is that the pic. is too soft and i wanted the poster to be aware of that potential drawback if he should decide to buy one. I know there are plenty of people that are happy with their Grex. I'm fairly/sort of happy with my Sima CT-2 but i can point out 1-2 of its flaws too,as can plenty of others. It's certainly not as good as the converters i own but it'll do in a pinch, and it seems to produce a better pic. with my Roku than it ever did with my old satellite tv. Don't know why.

No problem at all. I heard some of those complaints as well. I have been happy with mine and just wanted to stick up for what I think is a good product. I'm sure that the Video Filter is good too but at a higher price. I had a Sima CT-2 for a long time until it died and have also used 2 Copiall units which I believe were descendants of the Sima products, all of them were good filters and would copy anything.
post #53 of 94
Would the HDMI out jack of my Kindle Fire HD also carry the same copy protection signal? Unfortunately don't have an adaptor to try it out.
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

OK, I just performed testing tonight using a Roku 2 XS with composite output and the Video Filter. Played " Six Degrees of Freedom Documentary" with Netflix and sure enough, the CGMS flag was set to "No Copies Permitted. When I tried recording with a Magnavox 515 HDD DVR, it did not record due to protected content. I then ran the composite video through the Video Filter and no problem recording. The filter CGMS command is set to Copy Always. For being composite, it doesn't look bad at all since the Roku has good quality output even with SD. The filter doesn't degrade the video quality at all.

Have you decided to make another batch of these filters? I'm still interested.
post #55 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Drivel View Post

Would the HDMI out jack of my Kindle Fire HD also carry the same copy protection signal? Unfortunately don't have an adaptor to try it out.
All HDMI connection paths support HDCP -- it's part of the specification. If the source triggers the protection, it will be there.
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Drivel View Post

Would the HDMI out jack of my Kindle Fire HD also carry the same copy protection signal? Unfortunately don't have an adaptor to try it out.
Most cheaper HDMI to S-video converters won't pass the analog CP on even if present on the HDMI signal, at least thats the way my <$50 HDMI to S-video converter works smile.gif
If you need a mini or micro HDMI to regular HDMI converter or cable, Amazon or even MonoPrice is a good place to look and generally the part is only a couple bucks plus maybe shipping.
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Most cheaper HDMI to S-video converters won't pass the analog CP on even if present on the HDMI signal, at least thats the way my <$50 HDMI to S-video converter works smile.gif

jjeff why don't you post the screen shots you made about a year and a half ago showing the kind of PQ you get with that cheap HDMI>s video Lenkeng(AKA Monoprice)converter??? Let him take a look at THAT mess,then he'll have a good idea of whether he'll be satisfied with it or not. tongue.gif IMO he would be better off(PQ-wise) with a filter, maybe something like the Video Filter if Logic Design is going to make them available again,or a Grex filter,both remove CP and either one will no doubt give much better PQ.
Edited by greaser - 1/24/13 at 10:07am
post #58 of 94
Recording to analog from HDMI requires either a significant compromise in video quality, or spending an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to get the few adapters that give clean, transparent conversions. There is no middle ground on this issue: you either buy one of the many cheap all-in-one HDMI>Composite converters, and accept the murky conversions they output, or you spend a good $500 on an HDfury + top-quality component>composite converter. Even with the expensive setup, there can be glitches: the color and contrast remain excellent, but you may run into other hiccups. One has to keep in mind that HDMI was designed with the express purpose of thwarting attempts to record from it: no matter how much money you spend, its the devil. So if you have a choice between a protected analog output or HDMI, go with the analog output and something like the Grex, Video Filter, or TBC from DataVideo or AVT. The analog filters will usually not muck up the video as badly as the cheap HDMI>Composite converters.

All this assumes you're trying to make a standard-def recording to something like a DVD recorder. Recording in full HDTV quality requires a PC with HDMI or component inputs, and perhaps the HDfury and/or other HDMI accessories.
post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

All this assumes you're trying to make a standard-def recording to something like a DVD recorder. Recording in full HDTV quality requires a PC with HDMI or component inputs, and perhaps the HDfury and/or other HDMI accessories.

The poster says he has a "trusty old Sony DVD recorder".....Definitely SD recording.
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

jjeff why don't you post the screen shots you made about a year and a half ago showing the kind of PQ you get with that cheap HDMI>s video Lenkeng(AKA Monoprice)converter??? Let him take a look at THAT mess,then he'll have a good idea of whether he'll be satisfied with it or not. tongue.gif IMO he would be better off(PQ-wise) with a filter, maybe something like the Video Filter if Logic Design is going to make them available again,or a Grex filter,both remove CP and either one will no doubt give much better PQ.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1335030/hdmi-to-component-or-s-video-composite-converters
Not pretty but it does do the job and at a very low cost.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › CAN'T RECORD NETFLIX ANYMORE TO PANNY