Originally Posted by AustinJerry
Originally Posted by jkasanic
Off to do some measuring...I can only hope this plot is a lot flatter with the new sub location!
I hope so too, but if not, don't be discouraged. I have been working on my bass response off and on for the last several years, and there is still room for improvement.
Well Jerry, today was my day of reckoning! Holy crap...let me start off by saying I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown! I had taken some measurements yesterday with my AT screen down just to make sure I was still directionally correct with moving the sub. Graphs looked better but I didn't bother to run Audyssey. Today, with the screen in place, I was getting some CRAZY weird measurements. Higher dB output, massive dropoff above 10 kHz etc. Then I noticed my noise floor was closer to 30 dB with the UMM-6?! I must've tried calibrating SPL at least 5 times until finally, I shutdown REW and restarted everything from scratch. I went through the guide like I was measuring for the very first time! Wow, all I can say is what a relief! Anybody that starts noticing unusual measurements, do yourself a favor and start from scratch!
Here's the full range FR L+R+Sub with (blue) and without (green) Audyssey as well as with a sub distance tweak (red):
As you may recall, I'm only running one sub which I relocated from the right corner to the mid front wall. Audyssey initially set my XO's to 80 for C, 90 for L/R and 40 Hz for surrounds. I bumped the surrounds to 90Hz. There was a big dip in the XO region so I gave the sub distance tweak a try (not having much luck with it in the right front corner, expectations were low). Anyway, here's a closeup of the XO region with the initial C and Sub only with Audyssey measurements plus their combined response as well as a few tweaks I tried. Audyssey initially set the sub at 30' so I tried 20', 15' and 17.6' in that order:
Much to my surprise, the tweak actually improved the nasty dip at the XO to keep my overall FR within +/- 5dB with no room treatments. Having come from the green plot to the red plot below I was very encouraged:
Here's the L+R+Sub with Audyssey Waterfall and Decay plots:
Both show considerable improvement over where I started:
A HUGE thanks to this thread but especially to you, Keith and Sanjay for all of your help getting me to this point! I certainly wouldn't have gotten here on my own that's for sure! I think I'm going to start enjoying my new home theater for a while before I start considering making any further modifications...at least for a week or so anyway!