Having taken this week off, and pretty crappy weather here in N. OH area, I decided to get my ceiling cloud (that I built the frame for a couple weeks ago) installed in an effort to squash some particular nasty ceiling reflections from all three of my front speakers. Hope this is a little informative to some...at worst case I have pics which we all like yes?
I decided to brute force/overbuild this device, much like everything else I construct
, and chose 1x6' pine stock from HD. My approach was to make a simple frame which would hook over the top of my crown molding either side of the room. The frame would then be filled with pink fluffy and covered in GOM FR701 (left over from HT build). A neat byproduct of this design (which I din't plan for) is the ability to be able to slide the whole cloud fore and aft on the crown for optimal placement, or remove altogether easily. All said and done, have about $25 in this contraption which was mainly the wood and 2 cans of flat black. The frame is 2x 1x6x10', and 1x 1x6x6' pine boards. Width is 2'4". After abut an hour of cutting, assembly, and paint, below is pic of the frame and test mounting it in my HT.
After dragging my compressor downstairs, I stapled one side of the GOM and stretched around bottom and tacked again on opposite/ceiling side, and inserted insulation as below.
With that temporarily secured, I mounted the cloud and then ran sweeps for ETC to measure results. Following are results of FL and center speakers (FR is similar). I think that the center comparison before/after is the most compelling, but got rid of that big spike around 2ms on all three.
A couple pics of the finished product hung up:
Personally, I'm not necessarily striving for one of the models listed in this thread and intend to settle in with something more "hybrid" which I think is kind of where I'm at right now. Not going to go for that -15 to -20 dB and ISD termination..just experimenting with changes to see what improvements I may get. One thing that had a noticeable impact I did a week or so ago was to remove linacoustic from one of my larger left side wall panels, which was just filtering my mid to highs. When I built this, that seemed to be the thing to do, and now I think I can say it's not based on listening results.
Anyway, will provide some additional commentary once I get some more time in the seat.