or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 7 or 8?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 or 8?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
There are many topics discussing this butI can't find an answer to my particular situation. I have to re-load my OS and have to get a new copy and start from scratch. I can get Win 7 home premium for $99 or Win 8 pro with WMC for less than half of that. I'm very used to 7 with MB but is it easy enoigh to get XBMC up and running on 8, since it doesnt seem like MB really works on 8 as of now? I just have a hard time spending twice as much on 7. Also, will my WMC remote work using Win 8? This is a very important thing since there are some people using this that absolutely need it.
post #2 of 19
Yes, XBMC and WMC work in Windows 8. There's even a new Windows Store app called XBMC Boss:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146485

Media Center remotes do work in Windows 8. Windows 8 is pretty much compatible with all Windows 7 hardware.

The main fuss over Windows 8 is the new Start screen and there are plenty of ways around that. Even if you ignore the new interface, there's a wealth of behind-the-scenes improvements that make Win8 a worthy upgrade.
post #3 of 19
The mere fact that you have to immediately install some other piece of software to make win8 usable (for a normal computer) means that it's not worth my time. I don't have the time to learn and debug another operating system. I can't keep up with win7 -- heck, I'm just getting around to setting up XBMC to any degree.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Yes, XBMC and WMC work in Windows 8. There's even a new Windows Store app called XBMC Boss:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146485
Windows 8 is pretty much compatible with all Windows 7 hardware.
While that's technically true, it still doesn't mean that all drivers will install. Some older drivers may not install. In my case it was a sound dard that didn't install without a couple of tricks.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

The mere fact that you have to immediately install some other piece of software to make win8 usable (for a normal computer) means that it's not worth my time. I don't have the time to learn and debug another operating system. .

You're putting the cart before the horse. Before spreading falsehoods about Win8 you should spend the time to learn how the operating system actually works. I use Win8 on a normal computer and have found absolutely no need to install any other software to use it on my desktop. I liked it so much I popped to spend the money on an upgrade for a laptop I only use about 4 hours a month.

That said, and more to the OP's point, I have not upgraded my HTPC to Win8 from Win7. The faster boot and shutdown times are not important at all for a computer that's on 24/7, and I have some concern that Win8 might possibly affect the ability of the computer to sleep properly (if it ain't broke). So I don't feel the benefits of Win8 are all that compelling for HTPC use. In the unlikely event that my HTPC died, and I could not do a restore, then I'm not sure how I'd go, but I doubt spending $40 would be the deciding point.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

While that's technically true, it still doesn't mean that all drivers will install. Some older drivers may not install. In my case it was a sound dard that didn't install without a couple of tricks.

I had the same issue with a Canon all-in-one printer/scanner. The Win7 drivers worked, but it took a small bit of work (the details of which I don't remember).
post #7 of 19
Windows 8 with Start 8. Basically identical to 7 then. Then you have all the speed improvements and bits and pieces like USB 3 native support and Storage Spaces. I wouldn't go for 7 when the replacement is better all round.
post #8 of 19
I was in the exact same place the OP was about 6 weeks ago. Win8 is $40 and win7 is $80. I decided to install Win8 on my HTPC and it definitely seems faster however I cannot wake my HTPC from S3 sleep. I reused some extra hardware to build this HTPC and I never had that problem on this h/w with win7. If you search the web you'll see that others are reporting this same problem with win8. My workaround is to just leave the HTPC on all the time. FWIW XBMC Eden works just fine on Win8.
post #9 of 19
Purchase Windows 8 Pro. If you don't like/want it, excersise your free downgrade option to Windows 7.
post #10 of 19
As I mentioned before, the app named Classic Shell turns Win 8 into Win 7 look and feel.
However, not every running Win 7 app is compatible w/Win 8.
There also some bugs. Try to mount .iso from the network into Virtual Clone Drive on Win 8. Your PC will crash.
Et cetera.
Win 7 had a service pack and is more tuned up.
post #11 of 19
did you try the default ISO mounting built into Windows before trying the third-party Virtual Clone Drive?

just like with every new OS, Microsoft updates the plumbing. So software that specifically uses the plumbing (like network) also have to be updated. Every OS has broken software every generation. It happened with Windows 7. It happened with Windows XP. I used to be a huge fan of Zone Alarm. But it took them forever to update for Windows 7 so I just adapted to Windows Firewall.

Software that suffers the most in transition are network-related or firewall-related or game-related. The first thing to try is to use compatibility mode to see if that restores functionality. After that, you check support and forums.
post #12 of 19
I am not blaming M$ in this case. I am just saying there are problems, as with every new OS just released.
post #13 of 19
My mother ordered a Dell 17R black i3 laptop from Harrah's gift center last week for me. She accumulates a lot of points and sent me the catalog but it wasn't listed in there as I was going to order the HP Sleekbook. Good thing I checked online and saw the Dell, a much more full featured lappy compared to the HP and cheaper in points. With the upgrade offer this lappy qualifies for W8 after checking the Dell site, to bad they aren't giving out 15.00 coupons like HP or this whole set up would have been free.

I'm going to use this as a portable guitar studio so I'll need W7 for this because all of my sw works with 7. Guitar Rig 5, Guitar Pro 6, Amplitube and Rocksmith all work well in 7, Rocksmith doesn't play well with 8 right now. Hopefully the laptop will be here by the end of the week, I already registered for the upgrade and MSFT sent me the promo code so I'm all ready to upgrade to W8. But I won't be using it any time soon I'm just doing it because it's 15.00 and I'm on a dead line till the 31 to get everything registered, but I can only do it on the lappy and hope it get's here before the 31st. I'm sure I'd be grandfathered in by just showing the order date of the invoice, and I know registration submissions are extended through out the up coming months, but I would like to avoid all that if possible.

W8 would be a nice match with my Lumia 810 phone for downloading apps from market place and side loading from the SD. But for me W8 is more like a Novelty and not a necessity OS atm. If possible I'll load W8 to a USB drive and keep W7 on the main laptop drive, and just use W8 for phone syncing and market place. It's been so long since I did an upgrade I don't remember if a clean install requires a separate activation key and deactivates the previous W7 key.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

As I mentioned before, the app named Classic Shell turns Win 8 into Win 7 look and feel.
However, not every running Win 7 app is compatible w/Win 8.
There also some bugs. Try to mount .iso from the network into Virtual Clone Drive on Win 8. Your PC will crash.
Et cetera.
Win 7 had a service pack and is more tuned up.

That's odd. I was aware of the built-in .iso mounting in Win8 and skipped installing VCD on my other PCs. But on my HTPC I installed it to interface with MediaBrowser. It didn't crash my PC...
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

W8 would be a nice match with my Lumia 810 phone for downloading apps from market place and side loading from the SD. But for me W8 is more like a Novelty and not a necessity OS atm. If possible I'll load W8 to a USB drive and keep W7 on the main laptop drive, and just use W8 for phone syncing and market place. It's been so long since I did an upgrade I don't remember if a clean install requires a separate activation key and deactivates the previous W7 key.

The Win8 $15 upgrade process will result in a copy that you can install as a clean install. Once you use your promo code it will walk you through creating either a DVD or an .iso file (which is what I did). Then just use that to install Win8. When it gets to the install options hit "Custom" and then you can wipe your partition and install clean.

The Win7 activation key has nothing to do with the Win8 upgrade so you can go back to Win7 if you wish. You just need to buy the $15 key by Jan 31st or your promo code will no longer work. For the free WMC code you need to get it by the same date, but in this case you must activate it by Jan 31st as well. With the Win8 upgrade key you don't have to activate it by the end of the month.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The Win8 $15 upgrade process will result in a copy that you can install as a clean install. Once you use your promo code it will walk you through creating either a DVD or an .iso file (which is what I did). Then just use that to install Win8. When it gets to the install options hit "Custom" and then you can wipe your partition and install clean.
The Win7 activation key has nothing to do with the Win8 upgrade so you can go back to Win7 if you wish. You just need to buy the $15 key by Jan 31st or your promo code will no longer work. For the free WMC code you need to get it by the same date, but in this case you must activate it by Jan 31st as well. With the Win8 upgrade key you don't have to activate it by the end of the month.

Ah... now it's all coming back to me thanks for the info. I sure hope it get's here sooner than later I have Rocksmith waiting to be dl'ed to the laptop.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

That's odd. I was aware of the built-in .iso mounting in Win8 and skipped installing VCD on my other PCs. But on my HTPC I installed it to interface with MediaBrowser. It didn't crash my PC...

Did you try to mount .ISO from the NETWORK?
It crashes Win 8 every time, other ppl reported the same issue and switched from VCD to DaemonTools.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Did you try to mount .ISO from the NETWORK?
It crashes Win 8 every time, other ppl reported the same issue and switched from VCD to DaemonTools.

Yes, all my media except for recorded TV is stored on my server.

I'll try again this evening to see if I can cause a crash.

Edit:

Just tried at home and no crash. I mounted two different 3D .iso files from my server using both a mapped drive and the network path. Win8Pro WMC to Windows Server 2012 Essentials.
Edited by bryansj - 1/7/13 at 3:37pm
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry, a lot of crazy stuff was happening around the house so I just now got a chance to follow up to my original post. After looking at everything I decided to just spend a little more and stick with Win 7. I had to get my HTPC up and running again asap and I knew I could do that using MB. Having never used XBMC I didn't want to have to learn something new in such a short period of time. Sucks though, now my TV is messed up. LG 3D LED keeps rebooting itself every 30 seconds or so. Does it intermittently. Gonna have to have a repair man come out. It's only a few months old so at least it's still under warranty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 7 or 8?