or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LG announces availibility of their 55" OLED display in US in March for $12K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG announces availibility of their 55" OLED display in US in March for $12K

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
At their CES press conference, LG said their 55" OLED display would be available in the US in March for about $12K.

More info to come.
Edited by Rich Peterson - 1/7/13 at 8:53am
post #2 of 10
Unfortunately, I think that price tells us all we need to know about current yields.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
CNET's report is here .

Engadget is here.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Unfortunately, I think that price tells us all we need to know about current yields.

Doesn't look like I'll have one in my house anytime soon.
post #5 of 10
but what about the problem of short life of the Blue layer, has that been resolved? And for that matter the other 2? Last I heard Blue was good for 5-10k hours which is not acceptable. I would not consider a purchase if life is not 20k+ hours before light output drop and possible uniformity issues.
post #6 of 10
LG owns the Kodak patents. The company that discovered OLED so they have the best blue probably.
post #7 of 10
Yikes. The cost is more astronomical than anyone imagined. Nonevent. A 65" set was also apparently announced. I guess you can grab that one for $20k (my estimation).
post #8 of 10
From what I recall, the white subpixel, filtered, can compensate as the blue element ages.

Kodak also invented digital photography, but didn't pursue it.
post #9 of 10
Thats a steep price.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusc View Post

but what about the problem of short life of the Blue layer, has that been resolved? And for that matter the other 2? Last I heard Blue was good for 5-10k hours which is not acceptable. I would not consider a purchase if life is not 20k+ hours before light output drop and possible uniformity issues.

Not an issue with LG's display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceCommando View Post

LG owns the Kodak patents. The company that discovered OLED so they have the best blue probably.

Actually, they can use a different blue, since you never see their blue, it's only use to make a white, which is they filtered back to a blue via a color filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

From what I recall, the white subpixel, filtered, can compensate as the blue element ages.
Kodak also invented digital photography, but didn't pursue it.

No compensation is used. No blue "element" in the sense I think you are thinking.

They take R G and B, make white and then filter it back to R G and B sub-pixels. If the nature of the white changes, it will screw up colors over time. But the blue they use should be somewhat resilient because it's a longer-life fluorescent blue than is typically able to be used in a direct-view OLED scenario. They aren't talking up life much, which should concern people a bit, but that said, I'd imagine 20K+ hours without color shifting is within its capabilities.

As for the price, I tried not to spit up my morning iced tea.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LG announces availibility of their 55" OLED display in US in March for $12K