or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The METAL-HEADS thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 24

post #691 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I have to +1 that disagreement as well. I do feel most metal albums lack good bass, but this isn't one of them.
+2, and no offense by the way. Even in the car the kick drum has some pretty wicked slam. Weekendtoy, if you walk around the room does the kick output improve? I wonder if you have a bass null at your listening position...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Oh boy, I would have to say DT over AA. And as far as Portnoy's input, you gotta KNOW they wouldn't have had that clipping if he was still around, which for that reason alone makes me pretty sad. Regardless, the new album is awesome. I am actually going to use this album as my head to head comparo between the sunfire and the Sherbourn. Mainly because I don't feel like listening to anything else at this point, haha.
They have times where they are, but with Ozzy, I just don't think Sabbath trumps it. I am also very biased towards Zach Wylde, so take that for what its worth.

Thanks for the info!

I too am leaning toward DT as having the better album, but that's no diss on AA's newest offering, because it is solid.
post #692 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Nuance -

the reason you might want to check out the new Sabbath because I have to admit I was never a HUGE fan of the band - of course I respect them and don't dislike their music, but the fact that I heard so much of their stuff on the radio growing up I never felt the urge to buy any of their albums. That's another reason why I wasn't looking forward to the new album at all.

As far as Sabbath being slower... well yes the new album isn't real fast either, but the riffs are so damn good. Check it out on Spotify and see what you think. I would start with Loner because it's the catchiest but my favorite is Age of Reason - the last few minutes is so beautiful and the choir background singing (it's subtle you have to listen for it) will sound like it's coming out of your surround speakers, especially the right side. It's a very cool effect. Really the whole album is great though.
post #693 of 1183
I love the new Sabbath album, thanks Carp wink.gif.
post #694 of 1183
You guys try the new Anthrax record and their cover record?
post #695 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

+2, and no offense by the way. Even in the car the kick drum has some pretty wicked slam. Weekendtoy, if you walk around the room does the kick output improve? I wonder if you have a bass null at your listening position...
Thanks for the info!

No offense taken. I was in I the 'captains chair' during my listen where things are pretty dialed in. In DVD-A it's still better than most hard rock or metal offerings in CD format. But comparing to other hi-rez recordings or even Aerosmith Toys in the Attic SACD it's still not quite there, IMO.

But because I went into this thing believing that most 'metal' albums lack bass I could be suffering from a bad case of naïve perception...
post #696 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I love the new Sabbath album, thanks Carp wink.gif.

Very cool, glad to hear it. I'm digging all the old Sabbath that I never heard (non radio stuff) too! smile.gif
post #697 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

You guys try the new Anthrax record and their cover record?


Worship Music is a VERY good album. In fact, I think it's my favorite Anthrax album. The song, "In the End" is the highlight and I highly recommend it.
post #698 of 1183
Speaking of Zakk Wylde, Have any of yall listened to any of his solo stuff? He has some killer albums. 1919 eternal being my absolute favorite but for a good chill album Hangover Music Vol 6 (or 5? There is only one) is pretty awesome too!
post #699 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Worship Music is a VERY good album. In fact, I think it's my favorite Anthrax album. The song, "In the End" is the highlight and I highly recommend it.

Glad to see they are still putting out new music.

I remember seeing them on the Clash of the Titans tour back in '91 at an outdoor show. Anthrax had strippers dancing on the back speakers. Smoking hashish out in the field. Good times...

"I drink three six packs Just so I can look at your face" Favorite lyric...
post #700 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post


"I drink three six packs Just so I can look at your face"

We've all been there...
post #701 of 1183
So I went and grabbed hard copies of Images & Words, and Black Clouds & Silver Linings...I needed the hard copies. Octavarium was the last DT album I had the hard copy of and I didn't like it much at all, but I should give it another shot as I haven't listened to it in years. Anyways, They had a 3 disc Black Clouds version that I hadn't previously been aware of, so not sure if ya'll know what I am talking about or not, but once I power through the first disc, I will get going on the other two smile.gif One of them is just instrumental...Haha, which I am obviously cool with.
post #702 of 1183
If you like the 'Covers' second disk, in particular the Iron Madien cover 'To Tame a Land', be known you can get the complete album covers here:

http://www.ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&idCategory=7

They cover the albums, in their entirety, Master the Puppets and Number of the Beast. With the early Iron Madien albums transferred to CD so poorly the Number of Beast album is particulary interesting.
post #703 of 1183
Thread Starter 
I'm going to the Metallica 3d IMAX thingy tonight, dragging my wife - she's a good sport.
post #704 of 1183
Damn! You guys have me salivating to go get the new DT album. biggrin.gif I still have yet to listen to it but if it is as good as you all are saying then I am very excited to check it out. So for those of you who have the 5.1 version as well, how does it compared to the 2.0 version? While I am in the camp that a 5.1 version can be superior to the 2.0 version, it HAS to be well produced to achieve that claim and unfortunately many metal albums in 5.1 that I have heard tend to fall short of the 2.0 version. Even Opeth's 5.1 versions don't live up to the 2-ch version, IMO. And I AM a huge Opeth fan!

I have been on a kick though digging more into the "Viking metal" sub-genre expanding off of Amon Amarth. I saw that there was a Viking Metal channel on Pandora and have been playing it quite a bit. This has also led to some scandinavian 'folk metal' as well. Of note, some bands like Heidevolk, Lumsk and Korpiklaani have piqued my interest. They are fun to listen to even if I don't understand the native language they are singing in.

Carp, let us know how the Metallica movie is. While I could care less about everything since the black album, the flick looks interesting.

Oh yeah, the Kamelot/Delain concert last week was a total blast. We got a chance to hang out with Delain for a bit after the concert and got some pics and sigs with the band. This was their first ever tour in America. Kamelot was pretty amazing live. Very energetic and completely engaged the crowd. I love it when a band does that. Especially in a small venue like a hole in the wall club. The wife and I were up next to the stage off to the side and had a great time. The opening act was quite interesting too. The group is called Eklipse and they are from Germany. They are an all female goth group where 3 play violins and 1 cello and they play in a very ambient style. Certainly not metal but pretty cool non the less. At the concert they had some badass electric versions of these instruments that looked something like this

http://nashvilleviolins.com/store/product132.html and this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/orchestral-strings/yamaha-svc-110sk-silent-electric-cello

Here is a link to one of their videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY83GRo3-Po

Can someone tell how to put the video here in a post? I haven't figured that one out yet. redface.gif
post #705 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

Damn! You guys have me salivating to go get the new DT album. biggrin.gif I still have yet to listen to it but if it is as good as you all are saying then I am very excited to check it out. So for those of you who have the 5.1 version as well, how does it compared to the 2.0 version? While I am in the camp that a 5.1 version can be superior to the 2.0 version, it HAS to be well produced to achieve that claim and unfortunately many metal albums in 5.1 that I have heard tend to fall short of the 2.0 version. Even Opeth's 5.1 versions don't live up to the 2-ch version, IMO. And I AM a huge Opeth fan!

I have been on a kick though digging more into the "Viking metal" sub-genre expanding off of Amon Amarth. I saw that there was a Viking Metal channel on Pandora and have been playing it quite a bit. This has also led to some scandinavian 'folk metal' as well. Of note, some bands like Heidevolk, Lumsk and Korpiklaani have piqued my interest. They are fun to listen to even if I don't understand the native language they are singing in.

Carp, let us know how the Metallica movie is. While I could care less about everything since the black album, the flick looks interesting.

Oh yeah, the Kamelot/Delain concert last week was a total blast. We got a chance to hang out with Delain for a bit after the concert and got some pics and sigs with the band. This was their first ever tour in America. Kamelot was pretty amazing live. Very energetic and completely engaged the crowd. I love it when a band does that. Especially in a small venue like a hole in the wall club. The wife and I were up next to the stage off to the side and had a great time. The opening act was quite interesting too. The group is called Eklipse and they are from Germany. They are an all female goth group where 3 play violins and 1 cello and they play in a very ambient style. Certainly not metal but pretty cool non the less. At the concert they had some badass electric versions of these instruments that looked something like this

http://nashvilleviolins.com/store/product132.html and this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/orchestral-strings/yamaha-svc-110sk-silent-electric-cello

Here is a link to one of their videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY83GRo3-Po

Can someone tell how to put the video here in a post? I haven't figured that one out yet. redface.gif


I'll have to check out some of that Viking/Folk metal.

As far as 5.1 Opeth disks go, I would agree that I like the 2.0 versions better EXCEPT for Still Life. It is an outstanding mix in 5.1 and if you don't have it I highly recommend it. However, recently I put in the Blackwater Park 5.1 disk and I liked it a lot better than I remembered. The main weakness on Blackwater Park 5.1 is the growls are almost all coming from the center channel only, I think it would be better if they used more of the mains and surrounds, that is a better effect for the growls IMO
post #706 of 1183
Thread Starter 
The Metallica 3D IMAX concert was awesome guys, it really was. The sound quality was incredible. This is the first time that I've been in a theater and felt like it sounded every bit as good as my system. No distortion/clipping/etc. whatsoever, it was clean as could be and sounded so damn good. I'll have to see how good the blu-ray sounds at home when it comes out.

The movie part of it didn't bother me, it was pretty cool visuals but the concert footage (which was on far more than the movie) was a lot better.

2 highlights for me. First was And Justice for All. You don't get to hear that song live too often and I was 100% into that one. Cool statue of Doris that they put up during the song and then crumbles towards the end. The riffs were so damn clear, distinct, and out front in the mix. Loved it - ha, so did the guys around us. Justice really got the "crowd" going.

The electric chair during Ride the Lighting was really cool too.

The other highlight was during the end credits they play Orion with an empty stadium, just the band in a circle on stage. It sounded so damn good - this is my all time favorite song by any band so I was in heaven. NO ONE left during the credits, that was cool. Rob did a great job with Cliff's bass solos.

My wife was a good sport, she is not a metal head at all but I have dragged her to so many shows. She does like Metallica and said she like it - but she didn't like the guy behind her grabbing and shaking her shoulders during Hit the Lights. I didn't notice it.... I was too into the music.

Highly recommended guys, the 3d looks great.

However, I know not all theaters are the same exact sound setup so others may not have had the same experience I did. I felt the sound was perfect, I wouldn't have wanted it any louder or turned down either. Great time.

From memory here was the song/album breakdown:

Kill em all: 1 song
Ride the Lightning: 3 songs
Master of Puppets: 3 songs
And Justice for All: 2 songs
Black Album: 2.5 songs (part of Roam)
Load: none
Re-Load: 2 songs (time to hit the bathroom, haha)
St. Anger: none
Death Magnetic: 1 song

So, 9 songs out of 14.5 from their first 4 albums and 8 from their best 3 albums - very nice.

Oh, one other thing I like, being able to buy beer at the theater. 5.50 per beer, so actually not too bad.
post #707 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I'll have to check out some of that Viking/Folk metal.

As far as 5.1 Opeth disks go, I would agree that I like the 2.0 versions better EXCEPT for Still Life. It is an outstanding mix in 5.1 and if you don't have it I highly recommend it. However, recently I put in the Blackwater Park 5.1 disk and I liked it a lot better than I remembered. The main weakness on Blackwater Park 5.1 is the growls are almost all coming from the center channel only, I think it would be better if they used more of the mains and surrounds, that is a better effect for the growls IMO

I do have Still Life so I will have to go back and check it out again. In fact I might just do it after I get done posting. I don't have the 5.1 version of Blackwater Park unfortunately. I do think part of my issues stem from the fact that I am still rocking with my Denon AVR-3808. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed this receiver for over 5 years now (holy crap, its time to upgrade biggrin.gif ) but it has always been a little lean in the bass department. Even with the fact that I have an internally amplified 8" woofer with 150 watts each in 5 of the 7 main channels as well as 2 separate 12" subs with their own 1000 watt amp. The other issue is the room also. I know it is not a room meant for pristine audio reproduction and it is massive in volume (well over 7000 ft3 just in the living room and it is very open to the rest of the house) but I don't have much option at this time. The quest for better sound continues.
post #708 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

The Metallica 3D IMAX concert was awesome guys, it really was. The sound quality was incredible. This is the first time that I've been in a theater and felt like it sounded every bit as good as my system. No distortion/clipping/etc. whatsoever, it was clean as could be and sounded so damn good. I'll have to see how good the blu-ray sounds at home when it comes out.

The movie part of it didn't bother me, it was pretty cool visuals but the concert footage (which was on far more than the movie) was a lot better.

2 highlights for me. First was And Justice for All. You don't get to hear that song live too often and I was 100% into that one. Cool statue of Doris that they put up during the song and then crumbles towards the end. The riffs were so damn clear, distinct, and out front in the mix. Loved it - ha, so did the guys around us. Justice really got the "crowd" going.

The electric chair during Ride the Lighting was really cool too.

The other highlight was during the end credits they play Orion with an empty stadium, just the band in a circle on stage. It sounded so damn good - this is my all time favorite song by any band so I was in heaven. NO ONE left during the credits, that was cool. Rob did a great job with Cliff's bass solos.

My wife was a good sport, she is not a metal head at all but I have dragged her to so many shows. She does like Metallica and said she like it - but she didn't like the guy behind her grabbing and shaking her shoulders during Hit the Lights. I didn't notice it.... I was too into the music.

Highly recommended guys, the 3d looks great.

Sweet. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Sounds like I would too based on the song listing. Now I just have to figure out how to get over to Seattle to check it out since that is the closest IMAX to me. Unfortunately it takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there so I typically need to make a whole day of it to justify the cost. I want to take my kids to go see The Wizard of OZ in IMAX 3D also. I have never seen that movie on the big screen and I have seen a ton of positive reviews on this version being outstanding. I see Metallica and Oz are playing back to back in the same IMAX theater. Hmmm, maybe I can make a day of that. biggrin.gif
post #709 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I'll have to check out some of that Viking/Folk metal.

As far as 5.1 Opeth disks go, I would agree that I like the 2.0 versions better EXCEPT for Still Life. It is an outstanding mix in 5.1 and if you don't have it I highly recommend it. However, recently I put in the Blackwater Park 5.1 disk and I liked it a lot better than I remembered. The main weakness on Blackwater Park 5.1 is the growls are almost all coming from the center channel only, I think it would be better if they used more of the mains and surrounds, that is a better effect for the growls IMO

OK so I popped in Still Life in 5.1 and now I am not sure if I had ever actually listened to this version yet redface.gif But you are right, so far this is the best 5.1 Opeth mix I can remember listening to. I am listening to the DTS version and it is very good. I had to amp up my subs to fill in the bass but again that may be due to my particular setup. Will still investigate more into that. I really dig the way Mikael's growls bounced around from speaker to speaker on Godhead's Lament. It really worked and didn't sound gimmicky. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #710 of 1183
Load:none, st anger:none = worth my time. Haha. St anger cut me off from Metallica for close to a year I was so disappointed. Can't waitt check it.
post #711 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Load:none, st anger:none = worth my time. Haha. St anger cut me off from Metallica for close to a year I was so disappointed. Can't waitt check it.


Yeah the ultimate setlist would be:

Ride the Lightning: 8
Master of Puppets: 8
And Justice for All: 9

smile.gif

I agree with you about the Loads for the most part but I have always loved the songs Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn.

As for St. Anger I guess that shows what a year in rehab will do to your creative abilities? It also shows how in control Hetfield is that he could talk Lars and Kirk into making that album.

Kirk and Rob looked like normal down to earth people in the St. Anger movie, James and Lars... not so much.
post #712 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Load:none, st anger:none = worth my time. Haha. St anger cut me off from Metallica for close to a year I was so disappointed. Can't waitt check it.
God St Anger was awful. Didn't they win a Grammy for it? That is why I don't listen to critics!
post #713 of 1183
I liked a lot of St. Anger. Death Magnetic is really good too. The worst part about Metallica is when they talk about stuff.
post #714 of 1183
I feel the two Load are good rock records (you have to look at them that way) but St. Anger is an insult to humanity.
post #715 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I feel the two Load are good rock records (you have to look at them that way)

I agree with that.
post #716 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

St. Anger is an insult to humanity.
Nope, that's for Fall Out Boy.
post #717 of 1183

Mgla released a full length album a few months back. Finally picked it up and it's great. I'm sure most black metal fans will love it. 

 

post #718 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I agree with you about the Loads for the most part but I have always loved the songs Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn.
Funny those are also my favorites from those albums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I liked a lot of St. Anger. Death Magnetic is really good too.
St. Anger was a zero for me but I love Death Magnetic (guitar hero version naturally), I put several of it's songs in the top tier with the best of the 80s stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

The worst part about Metallica is when they talk about stuff.
x10. They're my favorite or second favorite band but I've always found them to come across as just plain weird in interviews. Their in-concert banter does nothing for me.

jeff
post #719 of 1183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

Mgla released a full length album a few months back. Finally picked it up and it's great. I'm sure most black metal fans will love it. 




Black Metal is one of the genres that I haven't really been able to get into, it usually seems like the production value on black metal albums is very poor. I wonder if this is done on purpose to kind of add to the bleak feel/vibe that most black metal has.

Can anyone recommend a well produced black metal album? Other than Dimmu Borgir, I am familiar with them.
post #720 of 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Black Metal is one of the genres that I haven't really been able to get into, it usually seems like the production value on black metal albums is very poor. I wonder if this is done on purpose to kind of add to the bleak feel/vibe that most black metal has.

Can anyone recommend a well produced black metal album? Other than Dimmu Borgir, I am familiar with them.

It's like those instagram filters make all the pictures of crap in your house automatically art.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The METAL-HEADS thread