or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread - Page 25

post #721 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you don't want to buy a new Evo kit every year then don't. Just because you don't want it does that mean no one else should be able to purchase it?

Same goes with Android phones. You get updates for about a year and then you will usually not see an upgrade to any new OS unless you own a Nexus device.

WOW..reallly? I don't want to get on a tangent here, but you are way off one this one...I have a samsung galaxy s2... Originally it came with gingerbread OS, then they upgraded to icecream sandwich OS, and now I got the Jelly Bean update..... 3 different OS's in less than 2 years.....

So dont tell me Samsung could not do the same with a 2012 TV....Those tv's have enough horsepower to run the new 2013 smart hub...

DONT YOU GET IT...the EVO KIT with new smart hub is like the MATRIX....it's all bout control.....If Morpheous was here he would say this:

"What is the EVO KIT? Control. The NEW smart hub is a computer-generated dream world built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into a sucker for the next few years.... "
post #722 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

WOW..reallly? I don't want to get on a tangent here, but you are way off one this one...I have a samsung galaxy s2... Originally it came with gingerbread OS, then they upgraded to icecream sandwich OS, and now I got the Jelly Bean update..... 3 different OS's in less than 2 years.....

So dont tell me Samsung could not do the same with a 2012 TV....Those tv's have enough horsepower to run the new 2013 smart hub...

DONT YOU GET IT...the EVO KIT with new smart hub is like the MATRIX....it's all bout control.....If Morpheous was here he would say this:

"What is the EVO KIT? Control. The NEW smart hub is a computer-generated dream world built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into a sucker for the next few years.... "

I'm with you now EndeaverouX. Samsung hasn't even optimized the web browser for the quad core processor and ram in the kit. Its still acts just like the old one and I have 6 mbps DSL. I think the problem might be having to log into Samsung's server and have the internet connection. Not sure if Samsung can do this be they need to let people be able to use the Apps and Web Browser with a separate internet connection and not have to log into their server. I think some say even just having a dual core processor is enough to run the internet and apps. Not sure how much ram is enough. Some even say a Quad Core processor is overkill. Not sure I would agree with that.
post #723 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigerCSM View Post

I'm with you now EndeaverouX. Samsung hasn't even optimized the web browser for the quad core processor and ram in the kit. Its still acts just like the old one and I have 6 mbps DSL. I think the problem might be having to log into Samsung's server and have the internet connection. Not sure if Samsung can do this be they need to let people be able to use the Apps and Web Browser with a separate internet connection and not have to log into their server. I think some say even just having a dual core processor is enough to run the internet and apps. Not sure how much ram is enough. Some even say a Quad Core processor is overkill. Not sure I would agree with that.

Listen, Im not trying to burst everyone's bubble here...I'm just trying to keep it real and be the voice of reason around here. That's why I started this Thread in the 1st place...

So let's just think about this...most phones & computers out there have dual core processors and do just fine with video rendering and CPU maximization for simple things like web browsing. We are now entering this new era of quad core and even octa core (sammy gs4) processors...It's all good... BUT...

WE DO NOT need a quad core for web-browsing for pete's sake.... come on guys.... you mean to tell me the EVO KIT has a quad core and web browsing still sucks? what a shocker....lol.... cool.gif

It's not the hardware...its all in the software programming....I'm BLUE in the face trying to explain these trivial simple facts... eek.gif

and why don't the 2013 F7100 & below series have a quad core then? they only have a dual core and still have the new smart hub..... CASE CLOSED..I proved my point......

How many set top boxes out there have only a dual core CPU and still manage to have amazing performance, support, & quality...it's all in the software....

sigh.....frown.gif
post #724 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

Listen, Im not trying to burst everyone's bubble here...I'm just trying to keep it real and be the voice of reason around here. That's why I started this Thread in the 1st place...

So let's just think about this...most phones & computers out there have dual core processors and do just fine with video rendering and CPU maximization for simple things like web browsing. We are now entering this new era of quad core and even octa core (sammy gs4) processors...It's all good... BUT...

WE DO NOT need a quad core for web-browsing for pete's sake.... come on guys.... you mean to tell me the EVO KIT has a quad core and web browsing still sucks? what a shocker....lol.... cool.gif

It's not the hardware...its all in the software programming....I'm BLUE in the face trying to explain these trivial simple facts... eek.gif

and why don't the 2013 F7100 & below series have a quad core then? they only have a dual core and still have the new smart hub..... CASE CLOSED..I proved my point......

How many set top boxes out there have only a dual core CPU and still manage to have amazing performance, support, & quality...it's all in the software....

sigh.....frown.gif
What point are you trying to prove? People know it is not a crazy upgrade but those who want it can buy it. If you don't want, then just move on and see what next year brings.

Most people here are pretty tech savvy and don't need a lesson on how a dual core processor is fast enough to run a web browser.
post #725 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

What point are you trying to prove? People know it is not a crazy upgrade but those who want it can buy it. If you don't want, then just move on and see what next year brings.

Most people here are pretty tech savvy and don't need a lesson on how a dual core processor is fast enough to run a web browser.

hey eric, calm down bro...don't take everything so personally.... we are all in the same team here... why are you so defensive? do you work for samsung??? lol....I'm not telling people here to buy it or not...it's your hard earned money...do what you will with it...

I'm just here out weighing the pro's and con's..That's all...Eventually I will get it when price is lower...

But for $200 there are valid points to discuss (not argue or debate) to go with the EVO KIT or going for a set top device...

Not trying to prove anything...We are all here to educate each other... so chilax.... wink.gif
post #726 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

hey eric, calm down bro...don't take everything so personally.... we are all in the same team here... why are you so defensive? do you work for samsung??? lol....I'm not telling people here to buy it or not...it's your hard earned money...do what you will with it...

I'm just here out weighing the pro's and con's..That's all...Eventually I will get it when price is lower...

But for $200 there are valid points to discuss (not argue or debate) to go with the EVO KIT or going for a set top device...

Not trying to prove anything...We are all here to educate each other... so chilax.... wink.gif
I need to calm down.....um, okay.
post #727 of 1475
I wonder if it could be a conspiracy by the PC makers, Microsoft, Apple and Google? LOL If you have a web browser and apps that are as fast as a PC on an HDTV, Then why would you need a Desktop, Laptop, Ultrabook or Tablet to surf the web and do apps on? Maybe they could even do an office app for the HDTV? The only bad thing about an HDTV is they aren't as portable as a Tablet, Ultrabook or Laptop.
post #728 of 1475
Let's keep the thread on point please, a lot of garbage being posted.

Samsung level 2 has yet to call me back.
post #729 of 1475
I used the browser for the first time last night to stream a BBC show that I couldn't find anywhere but online. The page loaded extremely quickly and it streamed the video for an hour in HD without the slightest hiccup. I did find it annoying that I kept hitting "recommend" at the bottom of the touch pad as I was "typing" but I will learn to avoid that. I would say that Samsung has significantly improved the browser/internet experience with the Evolution Kit.
post #730 of 1475

Just installed the Evo to my pn64e8000 TV. It was quite simple to install. In my opinion worth the 200$ I paid for it.
post #731 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

Now, my EK updated system tells me there is a software update, but it won't download it. Says my network times out. My network is super fast. It gives me an "error 801".

It finds that there is an update, but then....nada after trying to download it. Whats up with that?

Says I have 1002. New version is 1004.

Everything works fine. It did an update before I installed the EK.

Must be some sort of bug or glitch. My network is fast.
I got the same error so I down loaded it put it on a thumb drive updated via USB very big file it was a little over one gig
post #732 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I got the same error so I down loaded it put it on a thumb drive updated via USB very big file it was a little over one gig

Didn't someone say that you couldn't update via USB after installing the kit?
post #733 of 1475
Used the web browser logged into maxgo.com watched Sanctum mind you it's not HD BUT IT WASN'T too bad still playing around with this EK I'm not disappointed for under $200 I think it's well worth it.
Edited by bargervais - 6/1/13 at 7:11am
post #734 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Didn't someone say that you couldn't update via USB after installing the kit?
Worked fine for me downloaded it extract file put it on thumb drive. I put the thumb drive in USB port turned TV on waited a few minutes went to menus to software update it asked me if I wanted to update useing USB OK then it updated to1004 I had no trouble.
post #735 of 1475
Watching MAXGO for 24 minutes now no buffering 720P picture quality is not to bad very pleased.
post #736 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Worked fine for me downloaded it extract file put it on thumb drive. I put the thumb drive in USB port turned TV on waited a few minutes went to menus to software update it asked me if I wanted to update useing USB OK then it updated to1004 I had no trouble.

From where did you download it? I looked on the Samsung website, and I'm not seeing the file.
Edited by zombie1210 - 6/1/13 at 7:58am
post #737 of 1475
I want to let you all know that I had my PN60E8000 on all night I wanted to see how hot this EK GOT this morning I felt the kit and it was just warm not hot at all

smile.gif
post #738 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

From where did you download it? I looked on the Samsung website, and I'm not seeing the file.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SEK-1000/ZA
It took me a good twenty minutes to download it's very big
smile.gif
post #739 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SEK-1000/ZA
It took me a good twenty minutes to download it's very big
smile.gif

*Here's the release notes;

This firmware is for TV Model(s): 2013 Evolution Kit SEK-1000
The version is 1004.1
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves the issue that TV could not show STB EPG.

- Solves the issue that Color Key and Play buttons don''t work with Verizon STB.

- Solves the issue that Film mode does not work correctly.
All OS
post #740 of 1475
I have it downloaded onto a USB drive, but the option to load it by USB does not appear in my menu.

Ideas?

Edit....I figured it out. The folder name was incorrect and I fixed it. It unzipped as two filenames with and underscore. (_) Doesn't work like that. It can only be T-ECPAKUC
Edited by zombie1210 - 6/1/13 at 10:57am
post #741 of 1475
How did you finally manage to upgrade? Tried both renaming the folder, moving both folders (T-ECPAKUT, TB-FXPAKUC) to the root directory of the USB stick and also plugging the stick into different USB ports. But neither came the "Upgrade from USB" option back nor was it offered automatically after plugging the stick in. Btw I'm using the EvoKit with ES7 series. Thx!
post #742 of 1475
I only moved T-ECPAKUT to the root.

It took a while for the TV for recognize it, like a minute after turning it on. I used the USB port that says USB/HDD

Then it upgraded just fine.

More goofiness though....it says I have 1004 currently installed., but when it looks for upgrades, it still says "upgrade available, but won't download it directly. Probably another bug.

Not gonna lose any sleep over it.
post #743 of 1475
Well I dont know what all this cry baby stuff is about. I installed the evolution kit yesterday and ya its pretty cool. In Canada I paid more than you can get it for in the US and Im still very happy. If you think the price is to high, dont buy it, but dont bad mouth it I may just have to write a review for amazon because of that idiot hater.

Installed the EK without any problems. It plugged in great and updated to 1004. I wanted to see if it got hot and it did get kinda hot. I have let the EK and TV run since yesterday and it actually seems cooler now. The smart hub looks waaaaaaay better. I find navigating with the browser and around the tv is noticeably faster.
I actually did another upgrade as well. I bought a Harmonic Technology IEC to C7 adapter and I am using it with a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord. Call me crazy or maybe its the placebo effect but I swear the picture looks better.
My TV is a Canadian UN60ES7500 and the EK kit works great with it, I would highly recommend it.
post #744 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcman View Post

Well I dont know what all this cry baby stuff is about. I installed the evolution kit yesterday and ya its pretty cool. In Canada I paid more than you can get it for in the US and Im still very happy. If you think the price is to high, dont buy it, but dont bad mouth it I may just have to write a review for amazon because of that idiot hater.

Installed the EK without any problems. It plugged in great and updated to 1004. I wanted to see if it got hot and it did get kinda hot. I have let the EK and TV run since yesterday and it actually seems cooler now. The smart hub looks waaaaaaay better. I find navigating with the browser and around the tv is noticeably faster.
I actually did another upgrade as well. I bought a Harmonic Technology IEC to C7 adapter and I am using it with a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord. Call me crazy or maybe its the placebo effect but I swear the picture looks better.
My TV is a Canadian UN60ES7500 and the EK kit works great with it, I would highly recommend it.
Cheers I feal the same way the EK is very cool and worth it. I too have my PN60E8000 on for twenty four hours now and the kit is warm not hot at all.
post #745 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

your main problem is not CPU power.... to get really good 1080p streaming movies you need the following:

1. ethernet connection with cat6 cable over wireless...
2. gigabit router with cat6 connections...
3. DOCSIS 3.0 Modem...
4.broadband connection , duh..lol....

the network is always the culpret 1st opposed to CPU Hardware issues....if you dont have to do wireless, don;t..wired connection will always give you the best through-put.... biggrin.gif
You are correct about the the network I'm wired with cat6. I get really good PQ when streaming I get 1080P when streaming Netflix but the EK is helping I feel everything load faster plus I can use the web browser so IMHO THE EK does help
post #746 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

You are correct about the the network I'm wired with cat6. I get really good PQ when streaming I get 1080P when streaming Netflix but the EK is helping I feel everything load faster plus I can use the web browser so IMHO THE EK does help

I 2nd that, but only because before the kit I had stuttering and other issues streaming 1080p Hulu/Netflix. So I just used my Xbox 360 exclusively for streaming. But now there are no hiccups and it works wonderfully streaming 1080p & 1080p (Super HD) 3D thru Netflix

Oh, and another thought - the 1004 update says that is fixes Film Mode because it was not working. I reported a few days back in the ES8000 thread that scrolling sports tickers were no longer messed up in Film Mode 1. Perhaps that's why, because Film Mode was not working at all. I only use Film 1 (its the default) and don't use Film Mode 2 at all with Dish because it doesn't seem to apply deinterlacing to the entire screen (thats why tickers are fine on 2). CNET also recommends Film Mode 1 at all times for 1080i sources when watching on a Samsung tv

About Film Mode:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=3067&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=15173
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000564&fm_seq=732
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1252721/samsung-pnxxc590-film-mode-settings
post #747 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

hey eric, calm down bro...don't take everything so personally.... we are all in the same team here... why are you so defensive? do you work for samsung??? lol....I'm not telling people here to buy it or not...it's your hard earned money...do what you will with it...

I'm just here out weighing the pro's and con's..That's all...Eventually I will get it when price is lower...

But for $200 there are valid points to discuss (not argue or debate) to go with the EVO KIT or going for a set top device...

Not trying to prove anything...We are all here to educate each other... so chilax.... wink.gif
EndeaverouX I understand what you are trying to say but for me getting the EK MAKES perfect sense a little under two hundred dollars gives you features of the 2013 TV's. I dont think the picture quality is the issue as its already great and the EK couldn't change it to the 2013's 8500 plasmas because the panels are different. So let's talk about the kit and let us decide to buy it or not.
post #748 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I 2nd that, but only because before the kit I had stuttering and other issues streaming 1080p Hulu/Netflix. So I just used my Xbox 360 exclusively for streaming. But now there are no hiccups and it works wonderfully streaming 1080p & 1080p (Super HD) 3D thru Netflix

Oh, and another thought - the 1004 update says that is fixes Film Mode because it was not working. I reported a few days back in the ES8000 thread that scrolling sports tickers were no longer messed up in Film Mode 1. Perhaps that's why, because Film Mode was not working at all. I only use Film 1 (its the default) and don't use Film Mode 2 at all with Dish because it doesn't seem to apply deinterlacing to the entire screen (thats why tickers are fine on 2). CNET also recommends Film Mode 1 at all times for 1080i sources when watching on a Samsung tv

About Film Mode:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=3067&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=15173
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000564&fm_seq=732
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1252721/samsung-pnxxc590-film-mode-settings
Cheers you said that Netflix has 3D streaming I don't see that on mine did you upgrade Netflix to include 3D ??? Or am I missing something.
post #749 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Cheers you said that Netflix has 3D streaming I don't see that on mine did you upgrade Netflix to include 3D ??? Or am I missing something.

It's according to your internet provider whether you have it yet or not. Call and request it.

Interestingly enough, I kept checking back for it and only had Super HD (which just means that it's full 1080p HD not 720p HD) but did not have a 3D section or the ability to play 3D titles on Netflix. However after installing the kit and checking back I now have both Super HD & 3D. It was probably a matter of timing and coincidence and not the kit. But I tried out the 3D and it does indeed seem to be as good as Vudu HDX. Just keep checking back for it as the number of internet providers who have it is steadily increasing
post #750 of 1475
That's a good question. I have Fios and plenty of speed for 3D streaming, but Verizon hasn't (yet) bought into the Netflix based program to allow Super HD and 3D. I can stream 3D using my Sony BDP-S790 just fine, but that costs money for rentals. Perhaps using the browser to access Netflix does allow 3D. Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread