or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler11 View Post

I think it might be related to motion enhancement because I noticed that it doesnt do it in game mode. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to track it down and had to return it before the 30 days is up. I picked up a pn64f8500 instead.

How do you like it? While it's significantly smaller I was a fan of this tv when I saw it in person.
post #152 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwishbone View Post

How do you like it? While it's significantly smaller I was a fan of this tv when I saw it in person.

Ok I don't actually get to pick it up for another 3 hrs, but i do like the way it looks. Id say its the most attractive tv that has been produced in the last couple of years.imho
post #153 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler11 View Post

Ok I don't actually get to pick it up for another 3 hrs, but i do like the way it looks. Id say its the most attractive tv that has been produced in the last couple of years.imho

Yeah, for the very brief time I demo'd it I was impressed. "Sharpness" of a LCD with the blacks and motion of a plasma. What's not to like?
post #154 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwishbone View Post

Yeah, for the very brief time I demo'd it I was impressed. "Sharpness" of a LCD with the blacks and motion of a plasma. What's not to like?

Yeah and I got it for $1000 off list price. My only concern is image retention.
post #155 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler11 View Post

Yeah and I got it for $1000 off list price. My only concern is image retention.

I can't speak for samsung but my pro model panasonic has never had an issue. Sure if I play a game for hours you might see something for a short time in a completely black image, but I consider myself pretty picky and have never noticed any permanent issues. I did do a couple days worth of burn in though when I first bought it. Of course I have no idea if that helped or not, but I can say that I don't have any issues.
post #156 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwishbone View Post

I can't speak for samsung but my pro model panasonic has never had an issue. Sure if I play a game for hours you might see something for a short time in a completely black image, but I consider myself pretty picky and have never noticed any permanent issues. I did do a couple days worth of burn in though when I first bought it. Of course I have no idea if that helped or not, but I can say that I don't have any issues.

I have heard conflicting info based on breakin helping with iamge retention but I am going to do it anyway. I am going to run somes slides for about 100 hrs before I game or run my htpc on it.
post #157 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler11 View Post

I have heard conflicting info based on breakin helping with iamge retention but I am going to do it anyway. I am going to run somes slides for about 100 hrs before I game or run my htpc on it.

I think I can help with this. Basically anything that uses a phosphor or some other type of phosphorescent chemical to generate the image has a chance of image retention.

An LCD screen uses crystals that allow light (from the backlight) to passthrough or be blocked. These crystals can sometimes get aligned and stopping moving when the crystal stays at the same state for a while due to the same image being kept on the screen. This is known as image persistance. The solution to that is simply to send video noise to the display so that the crystals are being cycled for a few hours up to a day. So, this is not a permanent condition.

Plasma uses phosphors to generate the image. These phosphors can retain an image permanently which is image burn-in. Plasma manufacturers have done a number of things over the years to reduce the chance of burn-in including slightly offsetting the image so that if there is a static image it won't continually be the same on each pixel. Reducing the brightness can also help. Once an image is burned-in there is no way to change it on a plasma and plasma warranties do not cover burn-in.

Of course, CRTs were/are the worst and there are still many examples in bowling allies and small airports (for instance) of CRT burn-ins.

DLPs and LCOS-type projectors do not have burn-in issues even though most owner's manuals warn the user about the possibility of burn-ins (I'm told the lawyers suggest that the manufacturers include the warning for all types of TVs). OLED TVs, which generate the light from the organic compound, should not have any issues although I have not tested those types of TVs.
Edited by alk3997 - 5/15/13 at 7:50am
post #158 of 840
Hi owners,

Does LC-80LE857U has 10 points for color calibration as 844 has?
Did anyone tried to get in system menu to look for ISF (day/night) profiles as it works for 844 and Elite (system menu)?
post #159 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Hi owners,

Does LC-80LE857U has 10 points for color calibration as 844 has?
Did anyone tried to get in system menu to look for ISF (day/night) profiles as it works for 844 and Elite (system menu)?

The 857U does have 10 point adjustment in the temperature menu. I don't plan to enter the system menu -- can't help you with that one.
post #160 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Hi owners,

Does LC-80LE857U has 10 points for color calibration as 844 has?
Did anyone tried to get in system menu to look for ISF (day/night) profiles as it works for 844 and Elite (system menu)?
If you know what you are doing, then proceed at your own risk entering the service menu. I think the 10 point adjustment is only available in movie mode..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler11 View Post

Yeah and I got it for $1000 off list price. My only concern is image retention.

I've seen lcd image retention from those panels left in torch mode. Turn down the brightness and contrast for at least the first 150 to 200 hours. Should be plenty bright during break in. The Disney WOW disk has a useful pixel flipper utility.

By the way, I noticed that firmware is available for the 857 and the pn64f8500....
post #161 of 840
Any happy owners of new 80" 857?
post #162 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Any happy owners of new 80" 857?

I'm happy!
post #163 of 840
I've lived with my 80" 857U for about a month now, so here are a few Pro/Con items on upgrading from a 70" 732 to the 80" 857U.

Pro
  • It's 10 inches larger!
  • It's 50% brighter -- excellent for a well lit room
  • The edge lighting doesn't produce the diamond pattern on bright, solid color backgrounds
  • The screen corners are not dark
  • The bezel is very small. It feels like it's nothing but screen.
  • It's a better looking TV from a furniture perspective.
  • It has 3D (not a big deal to me)
  • The 3D glasses are blue tooth so you don't need to keep them pointed at the TV to maintain sync
  • Better IR sensitivity. The 732 was a bit picky about having the remote pointed in the right place
  • 10 point temperature calibration
  • The OOTB default color calibration wasn't too bad in Movie mode


Cons
  • The battery in the 3D glasses isn't rechargeable.It's necessary to buy a battery every 100 hours (according to the manual)
  • Flash lighting in the 4 corners. In my case, it actually looks more like corner clouding than traditional flash lighting. With my backlight set at -10 (at night), the corners aren't a problem, even in very dark scenes.
  • Like all edge lit sets, the center of the screen isn't as bright as the edges. However, it takes a long exposure photo to see this issue.
  • The Color Management has some issues. It's been impossible for me to get the blue primary calibrated correctly and still maintain the correct blue luminance.
  • The Motion Enhancement settings above 120 High seem to affect color and gamma in ways that I find unacceptable. 240Hz in particular should be avoided
  • Moving contrast higher than 32 is going to start effecting colors. The set runs out of red at that point and your luminance balance will be off.
  • Slight less contrast (using the ANSI contrast grid) than the 732. I haven't noticed this in watching TV, however.
  • It's 50 pounds heavier than the 70" 732
post #164 of 840
So would you rather have a new LC-80844U than the 857?
post #165 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZVIEW View Post

So would you rather have a new LC-80844U than the 857?

Well, last year's 844 is still available for sale so I did have that choice. In terms of a theoretical "new" 844, it would depend on the specs. A locally dimmed 80" would have been my first choice had it been available. But it's not. So the odds are that I won't have viewed a "new" 844 as enough of an upgrade over the 732 set I had.


I saw the 857 at CES in January and liked what I saw. I know a lot of people don't like the edge lit direction the industry has gone but I can't say that the back lighting on my 732 ever did anything for me except give me dark corners.
post #166 of 840
Hi all,

I am currently considering a few TV's and was hoping you folks could offer some feedback. I will use the tv for 50% pc gaming,25% sports (hockey and Football)25% moives/tv shows.

Is this tv good for gaming?How is this tv for input lag? Do you get any movement blur? Anyone use the Nvida 3dtv with it?
I have done some research and I have it narrowed down to the 3 below. Any other thoughts on my choices are welcome.

1. Samsung f7100
2. Sharp LC70LE857
3. Sharp LC80LE844
post #167 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I've seen lcd image retention from those panels left in torch mode. Turn down the brightness and contrast for at least the first 150 to 200 hours. Should be plenty bright during break in. The Disney WOW disk has a useful pixel flipper utility.
Totally disagree with the Image retention assertion! Been viewing LCD TV's for 11 years and presently own five of them Sharp, Sony, Samsung's and my main TV runs nearly 24/7 at high brightness as I have a sleep disorder and it runs constantly and I bought for and managed an enterprise network with dozens of LCD TV's used for training and thousands of LCD Monitors and I have NEVER EVER observed Image Retention on any LCD TV to this day - out of the dozens of LCD's and thousands of Monitors that I've bought for my network I've observed IR on perhaps two cheap early day PC CRT Monitors that were running STATIC Content for years but NEVER once observed it on any LCD TV. Who in the world told you that torch mode would do such a thing on an LCD? Perhaps a presentation display monitor in an airport running static content for many years may develop IR but a TV is running constant DYNAMIC content that has no chance to develop IR.

Burning an Image would be the equivalent of holding a bright flashlight to the glass or a mirror and waiting for IR and it's rare indeed if not impossible. If you ever get a chance to disassemble them you'd see why it's so rare. There are no phosphors like a plasma - of course the manufacture warranty has always had a disclaimer but that's the lawyers input not the reality of LCD having any tendency towards IR.rolleyes.gif

Edited by westa6969 - 5/20/13 at 5:17am
post #168 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Totally disagree with the Image retention assertion! Been viewing LCD TV's for 11 years and presently own five of them Sharp, Sony, Samsung's and my main TV runs nearly 24/7 at high brightness as I have a sleep disorder and it runs constantly and I bought for and managed an enterprise network with dozens of LCD TV's used for training and thousands of LCD Monitors and I have NEVER EVER observed Image Retention on any LCD TV to this day - out of the dozens of LCD's and thousands of Monitors that I've bought for my network I've observed IR on perhaps two cheap early day PC CRT Monitors that were running STATIC Content for years but NEVER once observed it on any LCD TV. Who in the world told you that torch mode would do such a thing on an LCD? Perhaps a presentation display monitor in an airport running static content for many years may develop IR but a TV is running constant DYNAMIC content that has no chance to develop IR.

Burning an Image would be the equivalent of holding a bright flashlight to the glass or a mirror and waiting for IR and it's rare indeed if not impossible. If you ever get a chance to disassemble them you'd see why it's so rare. There are no phosphors like a plasma - of course the manufacture warranty has always had a disclaimer but that's the lawyers input not the reality of LCD having any tendency towards IR.rolleyes.gif

It's not an assertion. I've seen it at locations where I've installed digital signage computers behind consumer grade LCD panels. Customers have left these panels in their default, out of the box settings, and burn in (image retention, image sticking) occurs after some time. Just because you have not observed it in your environment, does not mean that it cannot happen. It is more prone to happen on older, CCFL based LCD than LED..
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-sticking.html
post #169 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gr3y View Post

Hi all,

I am currently considering a few TV's and was hoping you folks could offer some feedback. I will use the tv for 50% pc gaming,25% sports (hockey and Football)25% moives/tv shows.

Is this tv good for gaming?How is this tv for input lag? Do you get any movement blur? Anyone use the Nvida 3dtv with it?
I have done some research and I have it narrowed down to the 3 below. Any other thoughts on my choices are welcome.

1. Samsung f7100
2. Sharp LC70LE857
3. Sharp LC80LE844

Some of us have reported excellent response time for the Sharp panels in game mode. The Samsung seems to do much better according to displaylag.com. Your mileage may vary.
Check here:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
post #170 of 840
Has anyone compared the 857 with the 757. Is it worth the extra $500 or so?
post #171 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Some of us have reported excellent response time for the Sharp panels in game mode. The Samsung seems to do much better according to displaylag.com. Your mileage may vary.
Check here:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Thanks for the link.I may haveto consider the sony 550a now.I am suprised the sharps did so poorly. I thought they has a advanced gamemode?
post #172 of 840
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

It's not an assertion. I've seen it at locations where I've installed digital signage computers behind consumer grade LCD panels. Customers have left these panels in their default, out of the box settings, and burn in (image retention, image sticking) occurs after some time. Just because you have not observed it in your environment, does not mean that it cannot happen ...l

I can attest to the fact that image retention is indeed possible with LCDs. Go into a place like Dave & Busters and check out their games which are running all day long. I guarantee you some of those screens will have major IR. That being said, I don't think it's anything to even think about in a home environment.
post #173 of 840
If I can get a 2012 for less than $3500 would you guys say go for that? Or should I wait a few months and get the 2013?

I wasn't planning on buying til end of summer but if I can snag one of last years models for (hopefully) like 3k, I think I'll bite.

Any opinions? Especially from those with experience with both 844 and 857?
post #174 of 840
I've got a dilemma and I hope this forum can help. I ordered an 857u for my 40th Birthday and I was extremely excited for its arrival. As fate would have it my girlfriend knew I wanted an 80inch Sharp so she purchased an 844u without my knowledge. The issue here is not the cost but the better product so I'm asking if faced with th same dilemma which would you keep. I read the forum and I'm trying to keep up with back-lit vs edge-lit and 3D quality. In the end I just want the TV that will look the best on the stand and not on the wall. What is the difference in the two that would sway me in one direction.
post #175 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwishbone View Post


Just an update with support at Sharp. I spoke to them today and apparently even though they thought my last TV was defective, they think this TV is fine. Looks exactly the same to me so I asked them to escalate it so I could talk directly to whoever makes those decisions. We'll see what they say this week.

Hi,

Any updates for this matter?
Did Sharp replied to you after a week?

Mike.
post #176 of 840
Just came home with an 80LE857U. I had a 73inch Mitsu 73833 that had started to get the white and black dots. Not wanting to invest more money into that set knowing the light engine problems, I decided to replace it. I was wavering between projector or lcd. I couldn't really put smaller tv in the 73incher's place. Was leaning towards projector with one big negative; my kids game standing up and it just wouldn't work in my room. In the end I decided on this Sharp.

Initial impressions, picture looks pretty darn good. Blacks are ok. Really only spent an hour watching various sources. Set will be used for watching television, movies, and gaming in a dedicated home theater room with total lighting control. Plan on a calibration. Any reason to put a certain number of hours on the set before calibrating?
post #177 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabish View Post

Just came home with an 80LE857U. I had a 73inch Mitsu 73833 that had started to get the white and black dots. Not wanting to invest more money into that set knowing the light engine problems, I decided to replace it. I was wavering between projector or lcd. I couldn't really put smaller tv in the 73incher's place. Was leaning towards projector with one big negative; my kids game standing up and it just wouldn't work in my room. In the end I decided on this Sharp.

Initial impressions, picture looks pretty darn good. Blacks are ok. Really only spent an hour watching various sources. Set will be used for watching television, movies, and gaming in a dedicated home theater room with total lighting control. Plan on a calibration. Any reason to put a certain number of hours on the set before calibrating?

Welcome to the 857U family! I don't think there's a break in period on a LED set.
post #178 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philherbusta View Post

I've got a dilemma and I hope this forum can help. I ordered an 857u for my 40th Birthday and I was extremely excited for its arrival. As fate would have it my girlfriend knew I wanted an 80inch Sharp so she purchased an 844u without my knowledge. The issue here is not the cost but the better product so I'm asking if faced with th same dilemma which would you keep. I read the forum and I'm trying to keep up with back-lit vs edge-lit and 3D quality. In the end I just want the TV that will look the best on the stand and not on the wall. What is the difference in the two that would sway me in one direction.

I see you got a number of "edge lit" hate posts over in the 844 forum. Not too surprising. Unfortunately, other than warranty replacements, I don't think there are going to be very many people who had an 844 and bought a 857. The 844 is only a year old.

You might find my 732 v 857 comparison useful. Other than 3D, the technology between the 732 and 844 is pretty similar. I think the 857 is going to be brighter in a well lit room and a better looking piece of furniture. The narrow bezel really makes the screen look big.

In general, back lighting is considered a better technology than the 857's edge lighting. I tend to be more of a back light fan myself but having this edge lit set, I can't say that I see any meaningful differences.

Let us know what you decided.
post #179 of 840
hi,

I got 80" 857 installed on the stand by delivery people.
However, I didn't check 360 as those were in rush to leave.
As result the panel is tilted about 3-5 degree.
Anyhow can I adjust the tilt to make it vertical?

Mike.
post #180 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

hi,

I got 80" 857 installed on the stand by delivery people.
However, I didn't check 360 as those were in rush to leave.
As result the panel is tilted about 3-5 degree.
Anyhow can I adjust the tilt to make it vertical?

Mike.

It's a big TV supported by about 6 inches of stand at the bottom. I think some tilt is going to be normal. My set's not completely straight up either. I'm unable to see the tilt unless I use a level though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread