First, big thanks to Erich, for all that he has done and is doing and specifically for his advice and feedback during my decision process. Thanks also to Jeff and to all of you that are contributing to DIYsoundgroup and the SEOS project, whether through designs or otherwise, I think it's absolutely remarkable how things have come together and the community that exists on these boards. Finally, to some of the first SEOS pioneers, Java and Brad and many others whose threads have given me ideas and some confidence. I hope that someday I have the knowledge and experience (or can fake it well enough) to positively contribute.
First, the speaker:
Tempest page at DIYsoundgroup. It uses an Eminence Delta Pro 12A and a DNA-360 compression driver. According to Jeff the specific goal of the Tempest was to design a speaker that gave a nice "midbass kick" which was pretty appealing to me, both because being in an apartment I often can't let loose much with the subs so midbass is all I've got and because that's something I felt was seriously lacking in my current speakers.
On the speaker front I've owned the older models of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. I've also had a set of eD Cinema 12's in my apartment and heard them a couple other places and generally enjoyed them each time. In the last 6 months I've heard Salk HT2-TL's, a pair of LS6's, SHO-10's, Statements, JTR T8's, JTR Noesis, and several others. My hopes for this project was that I could get overall performance somewhere between the eD's/SHO-10's and the JTR stuff, obviously at a cost much closer to the former than the latter.
After I'd finalized on the Tempest design and placed my order I started making the sawdust for the rest of the box. This was the drawing I sketched up and used for dimensions:
Given that this is only my second DIY build after my recent subwoofer build, I decided to make any "overhanging" panels (so in this case, both sides and the front baffle) 1/8" oversized with the intent of flush-trimming at the end. For someone more experienced this is a waste of time, and I'll likely go down to 1/16" oversized on my next build, but I really like this approach as it gives you a bit of a buffer and flush-trimming doesn't take very long.
I also decided I wanted to do rabbet joints around the perimeter of the bottom piece and on the leading edge of each side piece (where the front baffle would drop in). This was mainly experimental and I wanted to see if it made it easier to square the other pieces as I was gluing them together. I felt like it did, it's probably something I'll selectively repeat in the future, but it's definitely not necessary:
I also did a dado groove for the window brace which was more of a pain in the butt than anything, I don't think I'll be doing that again:
Edited by MrSmithers - 1/7/13 at 10:54pm