or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer H6510BD - FullHD 3D DLP DC3 for under 1000$?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acer H6510BD - FullHD 3D DLP DC3 for under 1000$? - Page 14

post #391 of 511
zesker

yes, you can go into the menu and flip the image for rear projection.
post #392 of 511
Thanks SignorMiyagi!

I had read thru this thread a couple of times and drew the wrong conclusion.
I thought it was the BenQ W1070 that required the new 144Hz glasses, and thought this Acer PJ would work with any 3D DLP-Link glasses (my bad).
It'll be a relief when the SainSonics arrive from China in a week or so and I can make sure there's nothing wrong with my PJ.
I went ahead and ordered 2 pair for $18 each on eBay.

Coincidentally, I got this PJ on eBay too for $538 from "Acer Outlet Store" with a 90 day refurb warranty, so I want to make sure I test it thoroughly.
Both the PJ and the remote still had the clear protective plastic film on them and the carry case, power cord, etc all look brand new!
So far the black level is WAY better than my PRO8500, colors are much richer & deeper and it's much higher resolution. It's much quieter too!
I'm only using this PJ for 3D movies. My home theatre PJ is the InFocus IN83.

Thanks again, SignorMiyagi for your help smile.gif
post #393 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post

zesker

yes, you can go into the menu and flip the image for rear projection.

Thanks bro
post #394 of 511
Can anyone find a sleep timer on this thing? It has a timer that sounds a horrible alarm but doesn't shut it off
post #395 of 511
Hello I have been a lurker here for a little while. I have been deciding between the Benq W1070 and the Acer H6510BD. I'm pretty much sold on the acer except for that it has no vertical lense shift. I want the projector mounted right up against the ceiling to keep it out of harms way. Is that possible with the Acer H6510BD?
post #396 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiedye View Post

Hello I have been a lurker here for a little while. I have been deciding between the Benq W1070 and the Acer H6510BD. I'm pretty much sold on the acer except for that it has no vertical lense shift. I want the projector mounted right up against the ceiling to keep it out of harms way. Is that possible with the Acer H6510BD?

You really shouldn't put any projector right against the ceiling but with a couple inch drop the Acer will work perfectly fine. In my case the screen top has to be 7" below the center of the lens on the acer. Look at a projector calculator and you can see where you would have to set the screen to ceiling mount the projector.
post #397 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

You really shouldn't put any projector right against the ceiling but with a couple inch drop the Acer will work perfectly fine. In my case the screen top has to be 7" below the center of the lens on the acer. Look at a projector calculator and you can see where you would have to set the screen to ceiling mount the projector.

Thanks for the timely reply. I didn't mean right against the ceiling, but with a mount like this that keeps it fairly close to it (http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374792710&sr=1-2). I'm looking at projector centrals calculator and i don't see where it says how high I can mount my projector, just how far away/close I can.
post #398 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiedye View Post

Thanks for the timely reply. I didn't mean right against the ceiling, but with a mount like this that keeps it fairly close to it (http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374792710&sr=1-2). I'm looking at projector centrals calculator and i don't see where it says how high I can mount my projector, just how far away/close I can.

There isn't really a limit to how high you can mount a projector. It just has to be the right height above your screen. If you want to mount you screen 2 feet below the ceiling then your projector needs to be around 1 foot 5 inches below the ceiling.

I just mount my projector and then adjust the screen accordingly.
post #399 of 511
i think so,In China it's cheaper than BenQ W1070. I think I've read about $800. msAq
post #400 of 511
My thoughts and experience with the Acer H6510BD:


I think this is the best 1080p + 3D projector for under $1000 that has ever been released so far.

I was waiting on the new 720p LED PJs mainly because I don't want to keep buying bulbs but after trying out the LG PA75U for $700 and then trying the Acer H6510BD for only $100 more from newegg.com I couldn't help feeling that I would have been disappointed and angry forever if I didn't return the PA75U. The 720p LED projectors simply don't compare to the brightness, contrast, and detail, from the bulb based 1080p projectors. To me 720p is too low for a true HD experience, and this can be very bothersome when you have 1080p content but you still have to play it on a 720p PJ. Now the Acer H6510BD is simply an amazing achievement for the price and thanks to all the advancements in the tech behind it. I am not concerned about buying replacement bulbs because the picture quality makes it completely worth it, especially over those 720p LED PJs.

Here were my concerns before I bought the Acer:

1. frame jitter or stutter during gaming in 3D because of 48Hz (96Hz) per eye spec instead of 60Hz (120Hz)
2. fragility of the projector because of it being bulb based instead of LED
3. 1080p not being much better than 720p

The results:

1. no frame jitter or stuttering during gaming in 2D or 3D, BUT! make sure you use the HDMI port for gaming in both 2D and 3D because the VGA port cannot handle 1080p as smoothly, more below
2. the projector feels built like a brick and seems very solid or compacted, I've moved it several times while it was projecting with no issues
3. 1080p is so much better that now I find 720p unacceptable for a PJ

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE HDMI PORT when gaming both in 2D or 3D, when I used the VGA port to game at 1080p there was noticeable frame stutter and it was unpleasant to play that way, once I switched to the HDMI input with an HDMI cable from my PC to the projector then the frame stutter in gaming was gone!

I am completely satisfied and beyond with my purchase so for anyone still waiting, Acer H6510BD will not disappoint!

Now for my questions, why does setting the "HDMI Color Range" from "full" to "limited" give me better contrast and a brighter image? I though "limited" gave less contrast but it seems opposite in this case.

These are some pics I took on a grey/green wall in complete daylight inside my room, I keep my 100" white screen downstairs for movies and use the PJ in my room for gaming,





For those who think it looks bright even at daylight, it looks ten times brighter at night and much better than my 52" Sony, again it will not disappoint.

smile.gif

Guru64
Edited by Guru64 - 8/2/13 at 5:12pm
post #401 of 511
Should I buy the Viewsonic PJD7820HD for $650 or wait for the H6510BD for $630 (if it ever happens again)?
post #402 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Should I buy the Viewsonic PJD7820HD for $650 or wait for the H6510BD for $630 (if it ever happens again)?

anyone?
Edited by itaos - 8/16/13 at 9:09am
post #403 of 511
It's $649.99 at newegg with code EMCXMWP72 right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009486
post #404 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

Just tried to Mount this tonight... my universal mount came with 2 types of screws... neither fits...so I had to go to Fred Meyer and got the dimensions the manual lists...type b 3x25 mm...closest I could find was 1"... 25 mm is .9+ inch...Wayyy to long... goes in a few turns then stops with a ton of space to go leaving a gap in the Mount bracket and the screw...can anyone tell me what exact size screw I can get tomorrow at home depot? Shouldn't a universal mount come with every type of screw possible?



Hi just would like to ask if you have any luck with finding screws to
this projector. I have the same problem nothing fits. Type b screws
are mostly Self-tapping , lately I always used machine type screw to attach mount to the unit now I am confuse.
Maybe somebody has the H6510BD already on the ceiling and will
kindly unveil this freaking mystery what screws was used ???

I realy appreciate in advance Thanks

Nirvana
post #405 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmproductions View Post

It's $649.99 at newegg with code EMCXMWP72 right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009486

$629.99 now.
post #406 of 511
Just picked up from Newegg for $630, seems like a good deal
post #407 of 511
I read that there is only one user saveable setting. I'd like to use this in my living room, so I need two settings, one with ambient light and one at night. If I calibrate the user setting for nighttime viewing, can I change to one of the default modes for daytime viewing (e.g. bright or standard) without losing the user setting?
post #408 of 511
A 1080p DLP projector for under $700 is almost always a good deal.
post #409 of 511
bought mine last week but paid $650 it's a great projector compared to the 710st i had. only thing is the typical mount screws do not fit for ceiling mounts i have it rigged up till i can find some that fit.
post #410 of 511
For those who have owned this projector for some time and have had some experience with it, I'm curious if people can elaborate and give their experiences on the rainbow effect. I've never owned a projector before so I don't have any experience with the whole rainbow effect. Due to the limitations of my room, it's down to this acer, the comparable viewsonic, and the BenQ 1070.

My reason for asking is that I watched a clip on youtube that displays the Acer 6510. It can be found by searching: Acer6510bd projector. It's the 5th video down showing denzel washington from the Book Of Eli. The rainbow effect becomes pretty apparent around the 4:20 mark or so. If this is indicative of what this projector will be like, how do people sit through movies with this showing up?

Thoughts from people? Thanks in advance!
post #411 of 511
Once you see it you can never un-see it and it will annoy the sh*t out of you. My advice, if you do see it (and I have w/ every DLP projector), go with LCD or something else.
post #412 of 511
and that's been my fear this whole time after researching projectors. I just don't understand this whole sensitive to the rainbow effect thing. I just got done watching that clip again and I see the rainbow effect. What? Are my eyes better than other people's eyes? it seems pretty blatantly obvious to me, and if this is what the dlp projectors are going to give me, I guess is an LCD the only way to go?

I've read that the BenQ 1070 has a faster color wheel so maybe that will actually work. I don't know. you would think with the technology of 2013 that we could eliminate these rainbow effects. and maybe they can, but just not at this price point.
post #413 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

and that's been my fear this whole time after researching projectors. I just don't understand this whole sensitive to the rainbow effect thing. I just got done watching that clip again and I see the rainbow effect. What? Are my eyes better than other people's eyes? it seems pretty blatantly obvious to me, and if this is what the dlp projectors are going to give me, I guess is an LCD the only way to go?

I've read that the BenQ 1070 has a faster color wheel so maybe that will actually work. I don't know. you would think with the technology of 2013 that we could eliminate these rainbow effects. and maybe they can, but just not at this price point.
I've owned 3 DLP's in the past and never saw rainbows. Had the W1070 for a month and dark scenes were rainbow city to me. Now have the Optoma HD25e and don't see them at all. Pick the one you like the best (price/specs) and try it out. Just buy where it can be returned without a problem.
post #414 of 511
Thats interesting you say that being the benq 1070 has a 6x color wheel, and my guess is that your older projector did not have as fast of a color wheel. I guess that goes to show that each model can be very different for each individual person.
post #415 of 511
Buying a new DLP and doing generic testing to see if you are bothered by RBE is almost useless, you have to spend some time with the projector at the proper brightness. You should have the projector setup between 16 to 22 fL for the test, or better yet have the projector setup just barely one notch above what you consider is the optimal and preferential brightness for your viewing.

I see RBE on DLP's when they are too bright, but on most 4x color wheels when the projector is at the optimal fL around 15-18 fL, I rarely see it. Also, just because you see it does not mean DLP is off the table, because it's not whether you see it that matters, it's if it bothers you to the point where it hurts your viewing. On the Benq w7000 at 4x and at 18 fL, I see it about 3 times per 5 hours of average viewing, it certainly isn't often enough to bother me. Though I do use my JVC for most dark movies, so that is part of the reason.

The Benq w1070 color wheel might be 4x, we don't know for sure. That said, people should be careful about RBE comparisons, because the main cause of RBE for someone that is slightly above average sensitivity is brightness and viewing material, so it's hard to compare without doing an A/B and making sure both projectors are at the same white peak fL, same contrast/brightness, and the gamma is the same, otherwise RBE comparisons are almost meaningless (ok not quite, but almost). Projectors with higher contrast also produce higher RBE, because it is the brighter areas mixing with the darker intrascene areas in the contrast that causes RBE to be seen more easily.

Even a 30% difference in brightness can cause a tripling or quadrupling of how much RBE you see, it is not linear so it happens suddenly. For instance, at 14 fL you may see almost none, but at 20 fL it might be abundant, and at 30 fL unbearable (this does not necessarily mean you are super sensitive to RBE, it means you are watching the PJ too bright). On new lamps, I have RBE issues on most projectors even with 4x wheels, at 6x it's harder to see. It is VERY important if you see RBE to make sure the projector is not too bright, get an ND filter. I cannot stress this enough, people making generic comments about RBE does not help the matter.

I estimate the percentages of people bothered by it, would average something like this:

3x wheel = about 30% of people
4x wheel = about 15% to 20% of people
6x wheel = Less than 15% of people

I am not claiming the above percentages are accurate, just a very very rough estimate I made. The number of people that can see it occasionally or in a test pattern would be much higher, but this should be about how many people are bothered to the point of needing to avoid DLP.

These are just my estimates from what I've seen over the years, all projectors are different even at the same color wheel speeds.
Edited by coderguy - 9/4/13 at 1:32am
post #416 of 511
So being i have no ambient light in my light controlled basement, it sounds like I wont have to use a lot of brightness from the projector. If im able to use low brightness, or perhaps the Eco mode quite often, does that better my chance of not seeing rbe?
post #417 of 511
That won't help reduce RBE, the only way you are going to know is to order one of these DLP's from Amazon that has a 30-day return policy on it and no lamp limit. Watch the projector for 2-3 weeks for at least 20 hours of viewing at the appropriate brightness, then you will know.
There is no other way to know, even going to a demo isn't really a good test, because you need it at the correct brightness in your own viewing environment for many many hours of viewing.
post #418 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

For those who have owned this projector for some time and have had some experience with it, I'm curious if people can elaborate and give their experiences on the rainbow effect. I've never owned a projector before so I don't have any experience with the whole rainbow effect. Due to the limitations of my room, it's down to this acer, the comparable viewsonic, and the BenQ 1070.

My reason for asking is that I watched a clip on youtube that displays the Acer 6510. It can be found by searching: Acer6510bd projector. It's the 5th video down showing denzel washington from the Book Of Eli. The rainbow effect becomes pretty apparent around the 4:20 mark or so. If this is indicative of what this projector will be like, how do people sit through movies with this showing up?

Thoughts from people? Thanks in advance!

You can't evaluate whether the rainbow effect will be an issure for you buy watching a youtube clip. This is because it is YOUR EYES that determine if YOU see the effect. Rainbow Effect (RBE) is inherent to the design of DLP- it's always there - the question is whether or not you see it. The faster the wheel speed of the projector the less people who will see the effect. RBE is more pronounced in video material that is high contrast, with a bright projector, a slower color wheel and you can help induce the effect by blinking. What you see is a flash of red green and blue on a portion of the image. You need to buy a projector from a retailer with a 30 day return policy and try it out or see a DLP projector in a store or at a friends house.

Now as to DLP not being an option - that's a very old debate. I very much prefer the look of DLP over LCD - regardless of the contrast numbers. DLP is a reflective technology wheras LCD is transmissive through the panel. I feel DLP simply looks better for this reason - more dynamic and better ANSI contrast

(this is not the contrast number mfg. publish but the seldom measured or mentioned contrast number which measures the ability to display black and white on screen at the same time. Since most video material is never 100% white or 100% black (on/off contrast number) I think this number better reflects the real contrast you're going to perceive on a daily basis. DLP almost always has higher ANSI contrast than LCD and a dynamic Iris cannot help improve this fact much. A projector with a 50,000:1 contrast spec might only have a 350:1 ANSI contrast number - which 350 isn't bad. LCD high 200s to low 300:1 ANSI wheras DLP pushes high 300s or low 400s and I'm talking about low-end LCD and DLP with these specs.) It is a personal preference thing, however, and on/off contrast numbers have their moments.

DLP is also 100% the chosen design of high-end digital cinema systems found in movie theaters (3 chip DLP however). Interestingly these projectors spec as 2100:1 contrast so it kind of tells you about mfg BS rating in the consumer numbers.
post #419 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

you would think with the technology of 2013 that we could eliminate these rainbow effects. and maybe they can, but just not at this price point.

How???

As long as the DLP still uses a color wheel, which is its fundamental design, how is it possible to eliminate it completely?

Doesn't matter how fast it spins. Even if it is a 16x wheel I'm quite sure I will see it, because I have the "talent" to see it the first minute I fired it up, without any previous experiences at all.

So it will always be there. The faster the spin, the narrower the color strips, but if you move your eyes fast enough, you can always see these color strips.

But on the other hand, does it bother me? No. I just learnt to live with it, and try to keep steadily stare at the scene, instead of randomly move my eyes around smile.gif

You are too paranoid of RBE. It is there but not as bad or intolerable as you think.
Edited by hotjt133 - 9/4/13 at 6:21pm
post #420 of 511
They already have eliminated RBE, it is called Three-Chip DLP, though 3-chippers are still far too expensive. Certain types of LED light sources, as well as hybrid and Laser designs also eliminate it for most people for the most part, though some designs still show it more than others.

One problem about RBE is that newer projector owners tend to dart their eyes around more. It takes quite some time though for some of us to break this habit. On a TV, we generally see the entire picture easily without using our peripheral vision, it is in the center of our vision. So being used to a TV and going to a projector, our first instinct is that we need to focus in on the entire picture (which is impossible to do on a PJ), so instead we dart our eyes around trying to take in the whole image. Eventually your eyes learn to just focus on what is important.

The above does not eliminate the RBE concern though, for some people no matter what they do, the RBE may be too much, but the only way to know is to try a DLP yourself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer H6510BD - FullHD 3D DLP DC3 for under 1000$?