or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › What size sub for a 18'x12' room?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What size sub for a 18'x12' room?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I've had this set of speakers for years (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/speaker-packages/ns-p220/?mode=model#list=within&mode=paging&page=5) and they're honestly ok most of the time. The sub as you can imagine is pretty weak at 50W (not sure if that is peak or RMS, my guess peak) and only 6.5". Finding a spot where that sub did anything at all was a small challenge of its own.

For a 18'x12' room what would be a more appropriate size sub? This is how the room looks - http://cl.ly/M1IV
post #2 of 7
Hey local! I'm just south of you. smile.gif

Posting your budget is pretty neccesaryl for people to give you any sub recommendations. Typically, no one is gonna recommend anything smaller than 12" for that room.

EDIT: Oh, and to find the best spot for your sub, try the "sub crawl" (just search the forum, you'll find it).
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
It dawned on me to search google a bit and found some tips. Looks like a 12" would be about right and I'm currently considering this guy - http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Y22XBDZ3VX4J&coliid=I1WC5XL43C242J
post #4 of 7
I read the title and just had to laugh...

Not at you or what you are asking. Not by any means, so don't take it that way.

I just laughed thinking about what other bassheads would respond with. For instance, my space is 13.5D x 14W x 8H, bringing me at about 1,500ft^3. Assuming you have 8ft ceilings, you would have a bit over 1,700ft^3.

Google says a 12" sub should be about right... I currently have 2 18's in my room, and I'm in the process of upgrading to 16 18's. Now, I realize that is obviously ridiculous to all but a handful of people (even on this forum), but I guess what I am getting at is that it's all relative.

I tell you what, once you have a system capable of a flat response down to 5hz or so, you will not want to go back to anything less....

I've heard good things about the BIC and it will be a huge upgrade from what you have now.

Enjoy!
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I read the title and just had to laugh...

Not at you or what you are asking. Not by any means, so don't take it that way.

I just laughed thinking about what other bassheads would respond with. For instance, my space is 13.5D x 14W x 8H, bringing me at about 1,500ft^3. Assuming you have 8ft ceilings, you would have a bit over 1,700ft^3.

Google says a 12" sub should be about right... I currently have 2 18's in my room, and I'm in the process of upgrading to 16 18's. Now, I realize that is obviously ridiculous to all but a handful of people (even on this forum), but I guess what I am getting at is that it's all relative.

I tell you what, once you have a system capable of a flat response down to 5hz or so, you will not want to go back to anything less....

I've heard good things about the BIC and it will be a huge upgrade from what you have now.

Enjoy!

16 18" subs in a 1500^3 room? Even at 1 sub being 2' cube they will pretty much ring the room unless stacked. I guess pictures will be coming.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I read the title and just had to laugh...
Not at you or what you are asking. Not by any means, so don't take it that way.
I just laughed thinking about what other bassheads would respond with. For instance, my space is 13.5D x 14W x 8H, bringing me at about 1,500ft^3. Assuming you have 8ft ceilings, you would have a bit over 1,700ft^3.
Google says a 12" sub should be about right... I currently have 2 18's in my room, and I'm in the process of upgrading to 16 18's. Now, I realize that is obviously ridiculous to all but a handful of people (even on this forum), but I guess what I am getting at is that it's all relative.
I tell you what, once you have a system capable of a flat response down to 5hz or so, you will not want to go back to anything less....
I've heard good things about the BIC and it will be a huge upgrade from what you have now.
Enjoy!

Yea I figured I'd get a go big or go home, maybe something like this:

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

16 18" subs in a 1500^3 room? Even at 1 sub being 2' cube they will pretty much ring the room unless stacked. I guess pictures will be coming.

Ring the room unless stacked?

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll get around to starting a thread eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

Yea I figured I'd get a go big or go home, maybe something like this:

If they only sold these... I'll take 2!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › What size sub for a 18'x12' room?