or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 335

post #10021 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

-snip In my denseness, don't know how to make use of the HDMI 2 (which I gather is the ARC connection - and as I understand it, ARC has special speaker facilities builtin). Do I leave the DVR in HDMI 1? The JBL only has a Toslink input, no HDMI. I think the Panny has both. Assuming the Panny has HDMI input, how/where do I connect it? -snip
What model soundbar will you be using. And as stated in my earlier post if you have a panny soundbar with this TV, you connect everything to the soundbar controller and run a single cable out from the controller to the HDMI2 (ARC) port of the TV. Video is sent to the TV without any modifications. And, most of the time, everything switches to the right source. I say "most of the time" because if you leave your Cable/DVR box on all the time you may need to use the controllers input select button to go back to cable/DVR after watching a Bluray!
post #10022 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What is the word on "East Coast TVs"? I remember some discussion about them but cant remember if it was good or bad. Are they trustworthy?

What about "All Time TVs"?

Also "Power Seller NYC".

All 3 of these guys have the same kind of sales going on. Are they all related somehow?

here is my experience with alltimetv...i ordered my 65 on tuesday nov 26 and got it six days later monday dec 2nd...paid with my amex card...

they did charge me $98 for what they call insurance, and tried to sell me extended warranties but easy enough to say no...their white glove delivery is just opening the box and plugging it in to make sure it works...i had my neighbors help me set it up on the stand and move it to where my old tv was...brand new tv that now has 62 hours...

for me it was pretty straight forward...
post #10023 of 12360
Thanks Rosa.
What was the purpose of the insurance? Did they notify you of it before charging you for it? Did you get your money back for it?
post #10024 of 12360
Just received my TC-P55ST60 yesterday and so far picture is very nice. I've messed around with the settings posted here and other sites and so far very impressed with picture quality. Pardon me if these questions have been posted previously, but can anyone let me know:

-Are the tweaked picture settings I make saved per mode, so that if I go out of Custom to say Cinema mode and back again, will my settings still be there in both modes? I would like to switch back and forth from gaming settings to media watching setting modes without losing any of my picture tweaks.

-I'm mainly concerned with getting the best color/shadow detail while watching movies. What do you guys use as a good reference movie to check black levels and picture quality.

-Last one: what is a good calibration disc to buy for a guy that has 'medium' technical knowledge. In other words, I'm not a pro but want to calibrate my set the best I can w/o hiring someone to do it.

thanks in advance!
,r
post #10025 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thanks Rosa.
What was the purpose of the insurance? Did they notify you of it before charging you for it? Did you get your money back for it?

alltimetv said that is what they charge to make sure the tv is covered if something happen during delivery...frankly it is just for them to make more money because there prices are low...they told me this ahead of time so there was no surprise...btw it was an october build..
post #10026 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa View Post

alltimetv said that is what they charge to make sure the tv is covered if something happen during delivery...frankly it is just for them to make more money because there prices are low...they told me this ahead of time so there was no surprise...btw it was an october build..
Thanks again.
Theyre price for what Im looking at isnt that low. If you add $100 it isnt worth dealing with all the shady stuff from a dealer thats not authorized. Youve been very helpful.
post #10027 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Same here. TV was delivered Tues and have been running Planet Earth in early morning and late evenings (with 5 month old twins, we're lucky if the tv is even turned on, so 100hrs would take forever). Contrast is at 56 and brightness way down low too. Gotta age those phosphors.
Please excuse typos or brevity.

Congrats on the twins![/quote]

The panel will age less quickly if you have Contrast (max brightness/white level) down that low. With "safe" material you should have it higher, in the 80~ range. That's what I run Contrast at all the time. Brightness is the minimum black level, so lowering that only makes the shadow detail disappear into black, and it doesn't help anything to turn that down. Unless you are talking the Panel Brightness setting, which you can safely run at Low or Medium (High changes the gamma/greyscale curve).

And also, congratulations on the new babies. biggrin.gif
post #10028 of 12360
I ordered mine on wed the day before thanksgiving and made arrangements for them to come out and hook up everything for yesterday..called me at 8:30 to tell me they woul be out between 11 and 12 so I was so excited. They call me back at 1:45 and tell me the tv isn't in yet and have to reschedule me for next thurs. so I have another week. Suddenly I'm no longer in the tv mood. Totally disgusted!
post #10029 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

The tv stand itself is 1/2" thick and is 22" wide and sticks out approx. 6" from the front of the tv screen. It is approx. 3 1/2" - 3 3/4" from entertainment stand to the bottom of the tv screen (viewing area), less 1/2" if you have to set your soundbar on top of the actual tv stand which is 1/2" thick.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more!

This helps a ton...It should fit as long as I am looking down at the tv slightly. Looking at getting the Pioneer sb23w.
post #10030 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotthree View Post

This helps a ton...It should fit as long as I am looking down at the tv slightly. Looking at getting the Pioneer sb23w.

I've been eyeing that exact soundbar as well!

You will in fact have an extra 1/2" or so in the distance from stand to bottom of the viewable portion of the screen as panasonics have a black border on the screen itself that doesn't produce an actual image.
post #10031 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post


The panel will age less quickly if you have Contrast (max brightness/white level) down that low. With "safe" material you should have it higher, in the 80~ range. That's what I run Contrast at all the time. Brightness is the minimum black level, so lowering that only makes the shadow detail disappear into black, and it doesn't help anything to turn that down. Unless you are talking the Panel Brightness setting, which you can safely run at Low or Medium (High changes the gamma/greyscale curve).

And also, congratulations on the new babies. biggrin.gif

 

Thanks for the tip!  I thought I had read somewhere (no idea where) that the contrast should be turned down for that break in period of "safe" (full screen) material for the first 100 hrs, before calibrating.  

post #10032 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post


-Are the tweaked picture settings I make saved per mode, so that if I go out of Custom to say Cinema mode and back again, will my settings still be there in both modes? I would like to switch back and forth from gaming settings to media watching setting modes without losing any of my picture tweaks
,r

Cinema and custom are input specific, all others are global. The TV will keep user settings.
post #10033 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

Just received my TC-P55ST60 yesterday and so far picture is very nice. I've messed around with the settings posted here and other sites and so far very impressed with picture quality. Pardon me if these questions have been posted previously, but can anyone let me know:

-Are the tweaked picture settings I make saved per mode, so that if I go out of Custom to say Cinema mode and back again, will my settings still be there in both modes? I would like to switch back and forth from gaming settings to media watching setting modes without losing any of my picture tweaks.

-I'm mainly concerned with getting the best color/shadow detail while watching movies. What do you guys use as a good reference movie to check black levels and picture quality.

-Last one: what is a good calibration disc to buy for a guy that has 'medium' technical knowledge. In other words, I'm not a pro but want to calibrate my set the best I can w/o hiring someone to do it.


Question 2. The Dark Knight, Skyfall, Pacific Rim, Star Trek: Into Darkness are all good to see black levels / picture quality in my personal opinion
Question 3. From what I hear, the Disney World of Wonder (or commonly here Disney WOW) is a great choice
post #10034 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

The panel will age less quickly if you have Contrast (max brightness/white level) down that low. With "safe" material you should have it higher, in the 80~ range. That's what I run Contrast at all the time. Brightness is the minimum black level, so lowering that only makes the shadow detail disappear into black, and it doesn't help anything to turn that down. Unless you are talking the Panel Brightness setting, which you can safely run at Low or Medium (High changes the gamma/greyscale curve).
 

 

I did find those sources.

 

Here

Quote:
 ...another important step is to reduce the set's contrast and brightness settings so the screen's phosphors don't get blasted. The best way to start is to select the Movie or Cinema picture mode, which generally defaults to lower contrast and brightness levels.

 

And here

Quote:
 We generally recommend the Cinema/Movie mode, which will likely have the contrast preset to a lower level. I'm most comfortable with a contrast setting around 85, as long as it doesn't adversely affect image accuracy (and it usually doesn't).
 
...
 
Many experts suggest that you set the contrast control even lower - under 50 percent - during this break-in period.

 

So maybe down the contrast a bit, but perhaps 56 contrast and -16 brightness aren't helping me much.

post #10035 of 12360
Just got my st60 delivered an am running the slides. I don't see an option to turn the pixel orbiter off.. Only on or auto so I left it on auto?

Is it really safe to run contrast so high while running slides? I plan to vary normal content too during the 100 hrs.
post #10036 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Just got my st60 delivered an am running the slides. I don't see an option to turn the pixel orbiter off.. Only on or auto so I left it on auto?

Is it really safe to run contrast so high while running slides? I plan to vary normal content too during the 100 hrs.

Auto is the closest to off you can get with these displays in any mode.

Slides it's safe to run contrast at 100% cause nothing is on the screen except a solid color, so you don't have anything to worry about in terms of burn in or IR being caused from the slides. Keeping the contrast at 100% means that when running the slides you'll be "aging" the phosphors more due to them having to work "harder" than at a lower level which is good. With that said, contrast at 100% for normal content is not something you would probably want to do, especially on channels that have harsh logos (ESPN, History, TNT sometimes, etc.)

Hope that helps!
post #10037 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thanks again.
Theyre price for what Im looking at isnt that low. If you add $100 it isnt worth dealing with all the shady stuff from a dealer thats not authorized. Youve been very helpful.

If you have a Discover card you can get 10% back through ShopDiscover at Abt, add the 5% back for online shopping and it's the best deal around. I've bought two Panny plasmas from them without any problems and they are an authorized dealer.
post #10038 of 12360

Hey guys,

 

Is the worth looking into?

 

http://1sale.com/electronics/tv-home-theater/datacolor?ref=cj

post #10039 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

Auto is the closest to off you can get with these displays in any mode.

Slides it's safe to run contrast at 100% cause nothing is on the screen except a solid color, so you don't have anything to worry about in terms of burn in or IR being caused from the slides. Keeping the contrast at 100% means that when running the slides you'll be "aging" the phosphors more due to them having to work "harder" than at a lower level which is good. With that said, contrast at 100% for normal content is not something you would probably want to do, especially on channels that have harsh logos (ESPN, History, TNT sometimes, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the good info!

Another issue I'm having us with the slides. Accidentally had a few photos on my USB stick and don't know how to get rid of them on the tv? I deleted them off the USB but when I turned on the tv to resume slides it still showed the pics like they are somehow saved to memory. I have tried to read the manual but can't find any info. Any tips GREATLY appreciated!
post #10040 of 12360
As I mentioned earlier, I've had the set for about 7 weeks and ran the slides and watched varied content. Even after being this careful, I still got IR from probably less than 15 minutes of watching ESPN. I researched the hell out of this TV before I bought it and went with it based on all the recommendations for picture quality. It really does have an amazing picture. But had I known I'd have to treat it like a newborn, I would never have bought it. This is my first plasma, and I heard IR/burn-in were ancient history. Clearly they are not.

As pretty as the picture is, I want to watch what I want when I want and not worry about it. I got my TV from Paul's TV 7 weeks ago (past their 30 day return policy). Anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of this thing (and not lose too much money) or figure out a way to keep it and not get IR? A worry-free TV is more important to me than one I have to be super careful with.
post #10041 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I've had the set for about 7 weeks and ran the slides and watched varied content. Even after being this careful, I still got IR from probably less than 15 minutes of watching ESPN. I researched the hell out of this TV before I bought it and went with it based on all the recommendations for picture quality. It really does have an amazing picture. But had I known I'd have to treat it like a newborn, I would never have bought it. This is my first plasma, and I heard IR/burn-in were ancient history. Clearly they are not.

As pretty as the picture is, I want to watch what I want when I want and not worry about it. I got my TV from Paul's TV 7 weeks ago (past their 30 day return policy). Anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of this thing (and not lose too much money) or figure out a way to keep it and not get IR? A worry-free TV is more important to me than one I have to be super careful with.

What contrast are you watching ESPN? I have my contrast at about 68-70 with no issues. Do you have the pixel orbiter on?

post #10042 of 12360
My contrast is at 82 watch espn all the time no ir
post #10043 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

What contrast are you watching ESPN? I have my contrast at about 68-70 with no issues. Do you have the pixel orbiter on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

My contrast is at 82 watch espn all the time no ir

It's the panel lottery, some get it , some don't. Most don't.
post #10044 of 12360
Exactly and looking for it you will drive yourself nuts
post #10045 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

What contrast are you watching ESPN? I have my contrast at about 68-70 with no issues. Do you have the pixel orbiter on?
84
I use most of the settings from here
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-st60-picture-settings.html

I found D-nice's too flat.
post #10046 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post


It's the panel lottery, some get it , some don't. Most don't.

So is it a lemon you think?
post #10047 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

Question 2. The Dark Knight, Skyfall, Pacific Rim, Star Trek: Into Darkness are all good to see black levels / picture quality in my personal opinion
Question 3. From what I hear, the Disney World of Wonder (or commonly here Disney WOW) is a great choice

thnx kkirsche. have 2 out of 3 with pac rim to come in near future. will try it out. will also check out wow. from online reviews i read the spears & munsil hd benchmark and calibration bdp was pretty good. any one have pros v cons either one of those discs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Cinema and custom are input specific, all others are global. The TV will keep user settings.

awesome to know samijubal! can route my bdp and cable thru receiver hdmi to hdmi 1 on panny for cinema and xbox direct to hdmi 2 for custom. will get to work tweaking this thing.

appreciate the feedback, rc
post #10048 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

What contrast are you watching ESPN? I have my contrast at about 68-70 with no issues. Do you have the pixel orbiter on?
84
I use most of the settings from here
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-st60-picture-settings.html

I found D-nice's too flat.

The TVs are more susceptible to IR when the TV is just turning on and warming up, I've found. But it should go away. How long have you allowed it to stay on other content to try and get it to go away? You can turn to HBO or a channel with full-screen content, run a Blu-ray or do something to clear it out.
post #10049 of 12360
does anyone know how to turn off subs through the DLNA App when watching a movie?
post #10050 of 12360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

The TVs are more susceptible to IR when the TV is just turning on and warming up, I've found. But it should go away. How long have you allowed it to stay on other content to try and get it to go away? You can turn to HBO or a channel with full-screen content, run a Blu-ray or do something to clear it out.
I watched about 30 minutes of ESPN and have watched about 30 hours since of full, varied content. It has gotten less obvious, but it is still there. Hard to believe 30 minutes can cause so much damage that takes days, weeks, months to fix.

I watched about 15 minutes of Lifetime (don't laugh) and saw IR of the logo for about 5 minutes after, but it is now gone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread