or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 71

post #2101 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

Those who have played around with the settings; is it going to be pretty easy to display the source image as it was meant to be? I can't stand looking at a picture with a ton of post processing and everyone makes it sound like this set is pretty heavy with it.
No. eek.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here is the situation. If you literally want to see a movie from DVD or Blu-ray as close to "as it was meant to be" by the director, then you need to have your display professionally calibrated. That's actually the definition of what a calibration should be.

To increase the chances that a professional calibration will get you the results that you're looking for, then you need references. One source of references here at AVS is the thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post. biggrin.gif

Playing around with settings will probably get you something that's a little better than what you see out of the box. That will depend on you. Some folks go as far as becoming amateur calibrators with some of the required equipment. Some of those amateur calibrators go as far as hiring some of the best calibrators, so that they can learn from them. This later group of amateur calibrators isn't "playing around with settings." They are very serious dudes. wink.gif

My interpretation was different: I think he's asking if you can remove things like soap opera effect etc. Not so much accuracy. But in the event he was asking for complete accuracy... Yes you will need it professionally calibrated (don't get it from Best Buy). I myself am having David Evans come down from Portland in the next few months.
I agree, but as I wrote, I couldn't help myself. wink.gif
post #2102 of 12343
Good afternoon all,

Just got my 60st60 from bestbuy on Wednesday. After watching it for several days I decided to do my own comparison between this and the Sharp 60 inch 757. (i bought both.)The panny was much better and clearer when watching NHL hockey and there were no brightness problems. The 757 looked brighter, but the images looked garbled and blurry. The ST60 handled light filtering better when it came to ambient light, as my living room has mid to high levels of sunlight and other lamps. I notice no av/sync issues at all and so far this has been a great purchase considering the 757 is about $500-600 more. I hope this helps anyone wondering if they can't make up their mind between LED and plasma. Any questions are welcome.
post #2103 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw850ci99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Owners...Of those of you that have the vertical line, is it at all bothersome during regular content?

Is it something you can easily live with and don't feel the need to exchange for another panel (for arguments sake, lets assume your replacement would be perfect)??

Am I blowing this issue out of proportion?

I feel like for the kind of money we all spend on a TV it shouldn't have a flaw. My 7 year old TH50PH9UK never had any flaws from day one, but just seems like nowadays all units from all manufactures have a flaw one way or another. Is the line that bad, not really, do I see it during actual content, I do only cause I know exactly where to look. Its more now just need to enjoy the other 98% of the screen that's flawless, considering I tried a very expensive LED before this and was going to over look a page long list of flaws all because well that's just how LED TVs are.

Flawless? Am I the only one that deals with linebleeding?
post #2104 of 12343
So would those of you in this thread think it would be worth giving up the 5 incches of a 65S60 in favor of getting the 60ST60?
post #2105 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

So would those of you in this thread think it would be worth giving up the 5 incches of a 65S60 in favor of getting the 60ST60?

I would do it for the 3d and the filter hands down! I have a 42" lg in the bedroom it's plasma no filter and the glare is incredible. It washes out even with our dimmer light on low. Unless your in a basement glare will be an ussue
post #2106 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Flawless? Am I the only one that deals with linebleeding?

Line bleeding is how plasma is. If you don't like it, then you'll need to get something else. Most people "deal" with it because it's inherent to the tech.
post #2107 of 12343
some of the last year's models had the vertical line on the right, but it was almost invisible with normal content. However, with some content, as football matches or panning on a blu sky background, it was visible and annoying...
post #2108 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

So would those of you in this thread think it would be worth giving up the 5 incches of a 65S60 in favor of getting the 60ST60?

If you don't care about the 3d, that I would get the 65s64 from costco or sams club. Same price as an s60 but with the filter of an st60.
post #2109 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

Line bleeding is how plasma is. If you don't like it, then you'll need to get something else. Most people "deal" with it because it's inherent to the tech.

Only time I ever noticed line bleed on a plasma was the green screen in movie trailers.
post #2110 of 12343
Any Canadians made purchases yet? bestbuy/futureshop has the 55st60 for 1700 but I'm waiting for the 60st60 for 2000. But since I don't buy a tv every few years, part of me thinks I should go with the 65st60 for 2700. Is 65" too big for a distance of 8.5 feet? Amazon . ca had an april 19th release date but only the 50st60 is now available. 60" and 65" now say may 15th. I currently watch a 40" lcd, so I can't wait to see what I've been missing.
post #2111 of 12343
Well my BB store in Duluth Mn has 2 St 60 (60) i sure hope they get more than that! If everything goes right i be buying one Thursday hopefully there will be one left and if not i wait! I waited this long sure i sure i live lol. Question i read someone on hear say if you buy it from best buy and take it home and you open it up if there is a crack in the tv they won`t take it back? I have a friend that has a truck that will help me but the more i been thinking i just have best buy deliver it for me and wait a few more days... of course when they drop it off make sure to plug it in and make sure it works!
post #2112 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0 View Post

Any Canadians made purchases yet? bestbuy/futureshop has the 55st60 for 1700 but I'm waiting for the 60st60 for 2000. But since I don't buy a tv every few years, part of me thinks I should go with the 65st60 for 2700. Is 65" too big for a distance of 8.5 feet? Amazon . ca had an april 19th release date but only the 50st60 is now available. 60" and 65" now say may 15th. I currently watch a 40" lcd, so I can't wait to see what I've been missing.

Bought a 65ST60 in Ottawa for 200 less than msrp, came in last week.
post #2113 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Bought a 65ST60 in Ottawa for 200 less than msrp, came in last week.

which store? how far do you sit from the 65st60?
post #2114 of 12343
Just came back from my local Best Buy (for the third time in the last two weeks) and they still have NO 2013 Panasonic model in the store. They mentioned a June availability date for the VTs, ZTs and (this was a surprise) also the 65ST60, which is the one I am interested in. Of course I took this with a grain of salt. They had the 60ST "in the system", but none actually on the floor. I'm in South FL. Anybody else having better luck finding any of these sets on display at any Best Buy?
post #2115 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0 View Post

which store? how far do you sit from the 65st60?

Stereo Plus and Design on Innes Rd in Orleans. They have (or had.. not sure the promo ended soon) a 200 off coupon for any purchase over 500.

I sit 9 feet away. In that same living room, over the past 8 years, I went from a 46" to a 52" to a 60" (all Sharp Aquos LCD/LEDs), to the 65" plasma. Here's a pic of it to give you an idea.

post #2116 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rivers View Post

Well my BB store in Duluth Mn has 2 St 60 (60) i sure hope they get more than that! If everything goes right i be buying one Thursday hopefully there will be one left and if not i wait! I waited this long sure i sure i live lol. Question i read someone on hear say if you buy it from best buy and take it home and you open it up if there is a crack in the tv they won`t take it back? I have a friend that has a truck that will help me but the more i been thinking i just have best buy deliver it for me and wait a few more days... of course when they drop it off make sure to plug it in and make sure it works!

I raised this same issue when I purchased my TV at my local BB and the sales guy said "that's why we suggest you have it delivered'. Chances are it will be fine if you take the TV home in your truck but why take the risk when delivery is free.
post #2117 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Flawless? Am I the only one that deals with linebleeding?

Line bleeding is how plasma is. If you don't like it, then you'll need to get something else. Most people "deal" with it because it's inherent to the tech.

No I'm fine with it. It's just he said it was "flawless" and I was implying that if you can deal with line bleeding then you can deal with a faint line that almost never (if ever) appears during regular content.
post #2118 of 12343
Anybody here skipped running the slides and just used Katzmaier's setting? I'm taking delivery on Saturday and I'm contemplating whether to do it or not.
post #2119 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Stereo Plus and Design on Innes Rd in Orleans. They have (or had.. not sure the promo ended soon) a 200 off coupon for any purchase over 500.

I sit 9 feet away. In that same living room, over the past 8 years, I went from a 46" to a 52" to a 60" (all Sharp Aquos LCD/LEDs), to the 65" plasma. Here's a pic of it to give you an idea.


Looks awesome, can't wait to find my 65" locally here in alberta.
post #2120 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Anybody here skipped running the slides and just used Katzmaier's setting? I'm taking delivery on Saturday and I'm contemplating whether to do it or not.
IMO running slides is ridiculous. If you want to age the phosphors evenly, then put up a full white field and leave it on. When white is active, RGB is all running at 255 so essentially, they'd be aged evenly. Even so, you can just watch the TV as you wish until about 200 hours of use and then do a post calibration calibration if you wish, and you'd get the same results. I really don't understand the religion of running slides...
post #2121 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcloudx82 View Post

some of the last year's models had the vertical line on the right, but it was almost invisible with normal content. However, with some content, as football matches or panning on a blu sky background, it was visible and annoying...

This is what I am worried about. I watch a lot of sports...
post #2122 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

Looks awesome, can't wait to find my 65" locally here in alberta.

Thx! Check online at visions electronics and electronics for less, they're both located and ship in Canada. I've ordered a 52" tv, a receiver, a subwoofer and other stuff without any problems. Not sure if they carry Panasonic plasmas though but work a look. And obviously online BB/FS and amazon..
post #2123 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

IMO running slides is ridiculous. If you want to age the phosphors evenly, then put up a full white field and leave it on. When white is active, RGB is all running at 255 so essentially, they'd be aged evenly. Even so, you can just watch the TV as you wish until about 200 hours of use and then do a post calibration calibration if you wish, and you'd get the same results. I really don't understand the religion of running slides...

I think the point of running the slides is prep the TV over the first 100 hours the same way. Then the calibration settings would more likely give you the same results. I think that's how it works anyway.

Maybe it is just a waste of time, but I figure I would give it a shot. It certainly can't hurt anything.
post #2124 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

IMO running slides is ridiculous. If you want to age the phosphors evenly, then put up a full white field and leave it on. When white is active, RGB is all running at 255 so essentially, they'd be aged evenly. Even so, you can just watch the TV as you wish until about 200 hours of use and then do a post calibration calibration if you wish, and you'd get the same results. I really don't understand the religion of running slides...

The reason you don't understand is that it is not based upon faith as is religion.

The red,, green, and blue phosphors decay at specific but different rates. Most of this decay takes place in the first 100 or so hours. If two TVs of the same model run the slides and afterwards one of the units is calibrated with meters, then logically, copying the results of that calibration to the other set will yield in close-to-calibrated results.

The technique is used by D-Nice annually. This year you'll find his thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread.

If you are not planning to use his settings, there is no reason to use the slides.

Larry
post #2125 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

Looks awesome, can't wait to find my 65" locally here in alberta.

For Hank0..
Regarding viewing distance, I would say definitely 60", 65" if all or almost all your viewing is HD content. There's lots of great websites that explain viewing distance and have automatic calculators where you can plug in your info and see the screen size recommendation. You'll notice that the THX recommended viewing distance is shorter than most others.. If you really want that immersion feeling, the THX recommendation would be what you need, and I would guess now that its definitely in the 65" range.
post #2126 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Just came back from my local Best Buy (for the third time in the last two weeks) and they still have NO 2013 Panasonic model in the store. They mentioned a June availability date for the VTs, ZTs and (this was a surprise) also the 65ST60, which is the one I am interested in. Of course I took this with a grain of salt. They had the 60ST "in the system", but none actually on the floor. I'm in South FL. Anybody else having better luck finding any of these sets on display at any Best Buy?
My Best Buy in NC had an ST and a VT on display. Was surprised at the size of the Bezel on the VT. It was rather wide.
post #2127 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Just came back from my local Best Buy (for the third time in the last two weeks) and they still have NO 2013 Panasonic model in the store. They mentioned a June availability date for the VTs, ZTs and (this was a surprise) also the 65ST60, which is the one I am interested in. Of course I took this with a grain of salt. They had the 60ST "in the system", but none actually on the floor. I'm in South FL. Anybody else having better luck finding any of these sets on display at any Best Buy?

I'm in South Florida too (well Tampa) - my BBY didn't have any "on the floor" either but they pulled it from their warehouse and delivered it 3 days later. Did you ask them if you could order it? Once they hit the floor, they sell so just order it. I got (so did many others here) the 60" model - I haven't heard of anyone who got the 65" yet.

I told my wife these things are like a cruise ship - once you've been on a BIG one - you can never go down to a smaller size again. I guess I understand waiting for the 65" - I was worried that the 60" would be too big (coming from a 42") - not even possible - I want a 70" next smile.gif
post #2128 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

The reason you don't understand is that it is not based upon faith as is religion.

The red,, green, and blue phosphors decay at specific but different rates. Most of this decay takes place in the first 100 or so hours. If two TVs of the same model run the slides and afterwards one of the units is calibrated with meters, then logically, copying the results of that calibration to the other set will yield in close-to-calibrated results.

The technique is used by D-Nice annually. This year you'll find his thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread.

If you are not planning to use his settings, there is no reason to use the slides.

Larry

So say R decays faster than B which decays faster than G. This is just hypothetical, I don't know the actual decay rates. If you put up a white field for 100 hour hours, and R decays in 50, and B decays in 70, and G decays at 90, then you've pretty much accomplished exactly what the slides would have done, just by showing a full field of white, since a white image has all phosphors active. At that point, you can calibrate to your heart's content since the TV will be "warmed up" at that point.

With the variances in sets, I don't even see why people want to use someone else's settings. What looks accurate on one set will not always look accurate on another.

I really think the whole slides thing is a silly placebo.
post #2129 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

My interpretation was different: I think he's asking if you can remove things like soap opera effect etc. Not so much accuracy. But in the event he was asking for complete accuracy... Yes you will need it professionally calibrated (don't get it from Best Buy). I myself am having David Evans come down from Portland in the next few months.

Yes, this is what I mean. While I understand and appreciate that color and contrast adjustment can be a tedious process without professional calibrators; I'm mostly concerned about built in software trying to sharpen edges and remove motion blur on the fly when someone already sat behind a camera for countless hours to make sure those blurs and soft edges were there.

Glad to hear it is pretty simple to turn off. Whenever I am at a big box store and get a glance at the menu button I get in there and turn that junk off.
post #2130 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

My Best Buy in NC had an ST and a VT on display. Was surprised at the size of the Bezel on the VT. It was rather wide.

How did the PQ of the VT compare to the ST?

Where they in similar lighting conditions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread