or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 84

post #2491 of 12340
Duplicate oops
post #2492 of 12340
You'll have to do something crazy like I did to get IR bad... though I never seen it last more than a few seconds on any other case
post #2493 of 12340
Wouldn't it be nice if tv could be regulated so logos can't be displayed an entire program? I mean who doesn't have a guide anymore to tell them what channel they're watching. But it's refreshing to hear that even in a worst case scenario like biggweezie's he got rid of the IR.

Is the pixel flipper on the AVSHD disc as well or any free discs? I think I only have the S+M calibration disc and I can't remember it having that.
post #2494 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if tv could be regulated so logos can't be displayed an entire program? I mean who doesn't have a guide anymore to tell them what channel they're watching. But it's refreshing to hear that even in a worst case scenario like biggweezie's he got rid of the IR.

Is the pixel flipper on the AVSHD disc as well or any free discs? I think I only have the S+M calibration disc and I can't remember it having that.

Logos are just stupid too me not enough to go to commercial and half of those are for the network.

I don't have any other cal disks so idk if its anywhere else wow disc is only 20-26 bucks Pick one up
post #2495 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

The arc works perfect on my denon reciever. Does your recievers/sound bar support arc? Is it turned on?

When I turn up my tv with the panny tv remote it says "home theatre volume"

Yeah, my speakers are off -- but the volume pops up and there's no change in my AV Reciever (Elite VX-52).
I'll have to go through all the settings again -- on both the ST60 and the Pioneer, though the ARC is working.

I just get a regular TV volume bar. Must be missing something.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #2496 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Though when the screen is completely black, and you put your face up tot he screen, i almost felt like there were lines moving up.. hard to explain, think of an old CRT TV with a camera, you can see the refresh rate and it looks like bars moving upwards.. while its not like that.. it just seemed like the screen was constantly moving upward with no input.. Maybe this is some meaure to reduce IR?

To your point, I've also observed this behavior in-store and you may be onto something. At first I thought it was a sort of dithering, but after tweaking some settings I began to realize that it was akin to the ever-present "sparkling" (obviously different from typical dithering) in the blacks of my Kuro. My Elite is far and away the best plasma panel I've owned/observed at combating IR, but how much I can credit this to the persistent "dancing" pixels I cannot say.
post #2497 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOrlando View Post

Yeah, my speakers are off -- but the volume pops up and there's no change in my AV Reciever (Elite VX-52).
I'll have to go through all the settings again -- on both the ST60 and the Pioneer, though the ARC is working.

I just get a regular TV volume bar. Must be missing something.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah you should shouldn't see the standard tv yellow dot bar at all. Go thru your viera link settings and your receivers settings good luck!
post #2498 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 
Why not just have them deliver it for free? Then you do not need to worry. They will also un-box it and set it up for you.

The fking bestbuy Canada charges $150 on delivery and setup! They no longer do delivery only. I found that too steep so I asked a friend with crv for help.
post #2499 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

To your point, I've also observed this behavior in-store and you may be onto something. At first I thought it was a sort of dithering, but after tweaking some settings I began to realize that it was akin to the ever-present "sparkling" (obviously different from typical dithering) in the blacks of my Kuro. My Elite is far and away the best plasma panel I've owned/observed at combating IR, but how much I can credit this to the persistent "dancing" pixels I cannot say.

Do you mean "sparkling" like pixels dancing? This is not what i'm seeing, if I turn the brightness 1 notch too high for example I do see hte "sparkle" or pixel dance, again not sure what you mean..

but what im seeing is like every 3-4 row of pixels is seems like theres an every so slight faint bar and it seems like they're moving. Its super hard to explain. I just looked at it briefly as I was getting ready to setup the slides last night before bed. I'll try and have a closer look to see if I can better explain it later.. I have to put my face right up to the screen when its completely black to notice it..

Think of it like this maybe?

___________________
___________________
___________________

Those lines every couple of rows on the screen, not noticeable unless your eyes are right up next to the screen but unless it was an illusion due the them being so tight together, i felt as if they were moving upward..

Onl'y thing I can think of that would keep something say like the black bars from the movie I watched from having any sort of image retention. I went right up tot he screen when the movie was done, 2 hours later and not a trace of a line where the image met the black bar. the two plasmas ive owned previously both did this, amazed to see the panasonic does not.
post #2500 of 12340
So I tried to play with ST60 a bit more this morning. The AR filter is pretty good, slight better then Samsung's in reflections and colour rendition.

It's sad to find out the TV media player DOES NOT PLAY 3D MVC MKV. Samsung can at least play the MKV in 2D mode even in 2011 model (before MVC exists).
post #2501 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Personally I like the dim light method when I watch. I have one forty watt that I turn on while viewing, it turns the blacks into the black hole!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenrickson View Post

I have a smallish 6500K flourescent bulb behind my set. I cover some of it with aluminum foil to keep the glare way down. It works great for us, as I don't like watching TV in a totally dark room.

I use the Ideal-Lume Standard light behind my set. It is a 6500k light and has this built in blackout so you can adjust the brightness with a rotating plastic cover, very handy IMO.. The concept of the light is called Bias Lighting, it is good at doing a few things for your HT experience as well as reducing eye strain.
post #2502 of 12340
Shady aren't you talking about the pixel orbitor feature? Just turn that off.
I find it odd that people who buy $500 blu-ray players and $2000 tvs don't have an htpc with xbmc on it by now... Most useful upgrade to my tv by far is a properly setup xbmc..
post #2503 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo View Post

So I tried to play with ST60 a bit more this morning. The AR filter is pretty good, slight better then Samsung's in reflections and colour rendition.

It's sad to find out the TV media player DOES NOT PLAY 3D MVC MKV. Samsung can at least play the MKV in 2D mode even in 2011 model (before MVC exists).

Yeah that kinda sucks I plug my pc in with hdmi for 3d mkv
post #2504 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

Shady aren't you talking about the pixel orbitor feature? Just turn that off.
I find it odd that people who buy $500 blu-ray players and $2000 tvs don't have an htpc with xbmc on it by now... Most useful upgrade to my tv by far is a properly setup xbmc..

Yeah, as I said I did not get a chance to really play wth it aside from a quick look last night. I'll take a look and see if turning that off changes it.

Honestly if it is I see no reason to turn it off except that myabe it would make the blacks slighty better? I love the fact I had no IR, wouldent wanna give that up cool.gif


I'll play with that when i get home though and see if that changes what I was seeing.


Also, XBMC is the best.. I use a Rasberry Pi with RASPBMC to stream off of my network share. Best streaming device ive used for network shares, better than plex or any app used with tversity etc on other set top boxes etc..

Best 40 bucks ever spent for my Home theater stuff
post #2505 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Do you mean "sparkling" like pixels dancing? This is not what i'm seeing, if I turn the brightness 1 notch too high for example I do see hte "sparkle" or pixel dance, again not sure what you mean..

but what im seeing is like every 3-4 row of pixels is seems like theres an every so slight faint bar and it seems like they're moving. Its super hard to explain. I just looked at it briefly as I was getting ready to setup the slides last night before bed. I'll try and have a closer look to see if I can better explain it later.. I have to put my face right up to the screen when its completely black to notice it..

Think of it like this maybe?

___________________
___________________
___________________

Those lines every couple of rows on the screen, not noticeable unless your eyes are right up next to the screen but unless it was an illusion due the them being so tight together, i felt as if they were moving upward..

Onl'y thing I can think of that would keep something say like the black bars from the movie I watched from having any sort of image retention. I went right up tot he screen when the movie was done, 2 hours later and not a trace of a line where the image met the black bar. the two plasmas ive owned previously both did this, amazed to see the panasonic does not.

I know exactly what you're writing about. And no, what I describe on my Kuro is in no way tied to the brightness setting, but what you're describing is textbook dithering that Panasonics/Samsungs have exhibited for as long as I can remember. (I cannot speak for LG as I have yet to extensively test one of their plasmas) What the Kuro does isn't as erratic/rapid as that. It's more of a measured fading in/out of juxtaposed dark/less-dark pixels. I've never seen this behavior on anything besides 9th generation Kuros so there is not another panel that I can cite to make a better defined correlation. The similarly measured movement -- albeit linearly implemented -- that I've observed in blacks on the ST60, however, may be performing a similar function.

I would love to read some white papers concerning both technologies. smile.gif
post #2506 of 12340
Hey guys, is there any way to disable the TV speakers on the ST60? So far all I can do is turn them down, and there's no HDMI sound control option like on the ST30, making me use the receiver remote for controlling the sound.
post #2507 of 12340
This new Panasonic TV is sweet.
post #2508 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post

Hey guys, is there any way to disable the TV speakers on the ST60? So far all I can do is turn them down, and there's no HDMI sound control option like on the ST30, making me use the receiver remote for controlling the sound.


Someone said it needed to be plugged into HDMI2 previously; not 100% sure though, i did not know this last night, as I am plugged into HDMI1, but if you go into sound options and change from digital to analog that will disable the internal speakers.
post #2509 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post

Hey guys, is there any way to disable the TV speakers on the ST60? So far all I can do is turn them down, and there's no HDMI sound control option like on the ST30, making me use the receiver remote for controlling the sound.

You have to use HDMI 2, as it is labeled ARC, then the Viera Link needs to be enabled on the TV & ARC needs to enabled on whatever device you are using.
post #2510 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Someone said it needed to be plugged into HDMI2 previously; not 100% sure though, i did not know this last night, as I am plugged into HDMI1, but if you go into sound options and change from digital to analog that will disable the internal speakers.

Hdmi 2 is the only arc input it's labeled on the back of the tv
post #2511 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

I know exactly what you're writing about. And no, what I describe on my Kuro is in no way tied to the brightness setting, but what you're describing is textbook dithering that Panasonics/Samsungs have exhibited for as long as I can remember. (I cannot speak for LG as I have yet to extensively test one of their plasmas) What the Kuro does isn't as erratic/rapid as that. It's more of a measured fading in/out of juxtaposed dark/less-dark pixels. I've never seen this behavior on anything besides 9th generation Kuros so there is not another panel that I can cite to make a better defined correlation. The similarly measured movement -- albeit linearly implemented -- that I've observed in blacks on the ST60, however, may be performing a similar function.

I would love to read some white papers concerning both technologies. smile.gif

I have been curious about this behavior as well, in fact I think this thread is about it and I've commented in it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466326/problem-with-blacks-on-panasonic-vt50#post_23216862

I've had a few theories, it could help combat image retention but I also wonder if they're sending signals up alternating rows to keep the plasma cells from "shutting off" since as far as I understand keeping the plasma cells precharged a small amount ensures they quickly and accurately respond to demands to output at higher levels. Scanning alternating rows means you've got half dark and half slightly less dark which from a black level standing is better than all being slightly less dark.
post #2512 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Yeah, as I said I did not get a chance to really play wth it aside from a quick look last night. I'll take a look and see if turning that off changes it.

Honestly if it is I see no reason to turn it off except that myabe it would make the blacks slighty better? I love the fact I had no IR, wouldent wanna give that up cool.gif


I'll play with that when i get home though and see if that changes what I was seeing.


Also, XBMC is the best.. I use a Rasberry Pi with RASPBMC to stream off of my network share. Best streaming device ive used for network shares, better than plex or any app used with tversity etc on other set top boxes etc..

Best 40 bucks ever spent for my Home theater stuff

Sorry for the ignorance here, but what do you do with this? Instead of blurays, you just store all your movies on a HTPC or stream from UV? What is the benefit and what are the downsides?
post #2513 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

Cant complain about these price drops for 2013

TC-P50ST30 $1,499 (End Of Production MSRP was at $1,299)
TC-P50ST50 $1,399 (End Of Production MSRP on ‎12/‎09/‎12 was $1,012)
TC-P50ST60 $1,149

TC-P55ST30 $1,799 (End Of Production MSRP was at $1,599)
TC-P55ST50 $1,699 (End Of Production MSRP on ‎12/‎09/‎12 was $1,297)
TC-P55ST60 $1,499

TC-P60ST30 $2,399 (End Of Production MSRP was at $2,099)
TC-P60ST50 $2,099
TC-P60ST60 $1,699

TC-P65ST30 $3,299 (End Of Production MSRP was at $2,999)
TC-P65ST50 $2,999
TC-P65ST60 $2,599

Interesting that Amazon has a few TC-P60ST60 in stock (April 24), but selling at $2099.99, which is over the Panasonic SRP $1699. Until this item is widely available and supply and demand forces more competitive pricing, I guess even Amazon plans to make a buck when they can. Free Shipp and Tax free, for now anyway. I'll wait to see where prices settles too after more distributors receive product.. You don't think panny will increase SRP at this point do you?
post #2514 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

Sorry for the ignorance here, but what do you do with this? Instead of blurays, you just store all your movies on a HTPC or stream from UV? What is the benefit and what are the downsides?

While I do still use physical blu-rays for my reference material and movies I really enjoy and want to keep physical copies of, it allows me to stream music, movies, pictures, recorded tv shows if I so choose and setup right from a clean simple fast interface from my network directly with no need of transcoding etc..

Allows me to rip my blu rays and have them on a PC that I can then stream off of at the click of a button rather than switching on my blu ray player, loading a disc etc..
post #2515 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaBro63 View Post

Interesting that Amazon has a few TC-P60ST60 in stock (April 24), but selling at $2099.99, which is over the Panasonic SRP $1699. Until this item is widely available and supply and demand forces more competitive pricing, I guess even Amazon plans to make a buck when they can. Free Shipp and Tax free, for now anyway. I'll wait to see where prices settles too after more distributors receive product.. You don't think panny will increase SRP at this point do you?

I don't think Panasonic will increase the MSRP but retailers like Amazon can sell them for as much as they see fits (demand). I remember seeing 55" ST50 going for more around 1700 a few weeks before the ST60 came out.
post #2516 of 12340
If people want a good laugh, after you put in your D-Nice settings or Cnet or whoever else's, watch it for a minute, then switch to vivid mode. I bet you say WTF out loud after that. Lol

I have seen some terrible vivid modes but this TV takes the cake for the worst thing I have ever seen.
Edited by eric3316 - 4/24/13 at 10:31am
post #2517 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

I have been curious about this behavior as well, in fact I think this thread is about it and I've commented in it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466326/problem-with-blacks-on-panasonic-vt50#post_23216862

I've had a few theories, it could help combat image retention but I also wonder if they're sending signals up alternating rows to keep the plasma cells from "shutting off" since as far as I understand keeping the plasma cells precharged a small amount ensures they quickly and accurately respond to demands to output at higher levels. Scanning alternating rows means you've got half dark and half slightly less dark which from a black level standing is better than all being slightly less dark.

Thanks for the link and yes, your theories make sense...
post #2518 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

I have been curious about this behavior as well, in fact I think this thread is about it and I've commented in it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466326/problem-with-blacks-on-panasonic-vt50#post_23216862

I've had a few theories, it could help combat image retention but I also wonder if they're sending signals up alternating rows to keep the plasma cells from "shutting off" since as far as I understand keeping the plasma cells precharged a small amount ensures they quickly and accurately respond to demands to output at higher levels. Scanning alternating rows means you've got half dark and half slightly less dark which from a black level standing is better than all being slightly less dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

Thanks for the link and yes, your theories make sense...


One of the guys described green lines scanning upward.. Sounds just about like what I was seeing, not like it was obviously green, more like grey with a green tinge.. hes saying his looked more grey afterwards, wondering if that turns more grey after the phospher ages a bit?

I don't see it as a problem at all, My samsung dident do this at all, black was black.. or well "greY" compared to the ST60 wink.gif

I can bareley tell the TV is on in a pitch black room, with a single light on in the other side in the corer, can't tell at all..

As far as im concered comming from the samsung, thats whats helping with the image retention, in which case im all for it
post #2519 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

Sorry for the ignorance here, but what do you do with this? Instead of blurays, you just store all your movies on a HTPC or stream from UV? What is the benefit and what are the downsides?

In my case I built my own full fledged windows 7 based HTPC. Benefits?
Quicker Access: I rip my dvds/blu-rays without the advertisements or warnings so it goes straight to the movie by default. It's also quicker access because all I have to do is power the computer up from sleep 5-10 seconds, xbmc opens automatically and within a few clicks I have my movie.
No noise during quiet scenes: Without the optical drive or fan of a blu-ray player I have no noise to distract me. My ps3 used to bug the hell out of me, it's way too noisy.
It also just looks really cool and you can sort movies by time, genre, etc.


Downsides would be cost and time. I went as far as a dedicated server and xbmc units connected to all the tvs. That cost a fair bit (20TB server) and a fair bit of time, but for me it's worth it. The other potential downside is quality if you're not ripping the full BDs/DVDs. Personally I got the remux route (very easy to do with blu-ray using MAKEMKV) and rip full dvds to save a bit of space blu-ray side. If I really want the extras then I pop in the blu-ray into the blu-ray player.
Of course with a dedicated pc you also get all the benefits of a pc... I browse/play games alongside just watching movies on my unit.
post #2520 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I have read a lot of reviews that navigating the smart TV features and the web browser are painfully slow with the remote that comes with the TV. I actually find that navigating was pretty quick and I have not really noticed any delay with using the directional pad. It actually seems to navigate faster, especially while typing then my Samsung plasma it replaced that was dual core. What I do no understand is why these companies do not include flash for their browsers? That can make or break a browser and be the reason why people either us or don't. Panasonic is obviously pushing their smart features since the TV defaults into the smart screen every time it powers on. So how about making those smart features worth while!

The Netflix app is speedy enough, and it supports Super HD, 5.1, and 3D. The Amazon app is way worse and doesn't support Watchlist, which makes it useless to me. As I'm sure you know, can make the TV start up on full-screen last input, which I think everyone will do, if they can figure out how. smile.gif

One thing that bugs me is that the remote often misses commands or doubles them up, making it frustrating and inaccurate to use it. Both my 50ST60s exhibited this; the 50S60 I had did not. It was the same with my universal remote as well as the supplied remotes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread