or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 11

post #301 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Can you share a video or pictures of your ST60? What mode are you in and what are your brightness and contrast settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Good to hear!

So overall would you say the video processing of hd cable on the 60 is considerably better (sharper,cleaner,less noise and artifacts) than on the 50?

How about color banding with hd cable content? Are the gradients any smoother?

HD cable is head and shoulders better... main reason I returned my st50. Not sure about banding
post #302 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I hear no buzz and mine is in an open closet where any buzz would be amplified by the surroundings.

This TV looks awfully heavy on the green to me. I've been through a few Panasonics and all of them were too green for me but usually just adjusting the tint a few notches to the red makes them fine, not so with this one. I'm hoping it will tone down the green after some break-in time. Beautiful picture on this besides the green push. Clarity and blacks my 5 year old Panny can't dream of.

There is a new option called vivid color or deep color or something like that turn if off it intensifies green
post #303 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'm sure Chris' and Chad's reviews will be honest and very helpful to many of us here. Why would they do anything but that?

Bill

I think he was saying that the honest reviews are a gift (not something that they have to do), not that the reviews were dishonest.
post #304 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Anyone who has picked up this set throw some black ops in and let us know if you notice any input lag. I really want to pick this up hopefully tommorrow

A good resource for future reference:
http://www.displaylag.com/

Last year's Panasonic plasma's had very good results in the lag department, really just about as good as you'll find from a large HDTV, so there is every expectation this years will as well. However keep in mind every display was tested while using that TV's "gaming mode."

Size Brand Model Resolution Refresh Rate Screen Type Display Type Input Lag Rating
55" Panasonic TC-P55VT50 1080p 600hz 3D Plasma HDTV 40ms GREAT

55" Panasonic TC-P55ST50 1080p 600hz 3D Plasma HDTV 40ms GREAT
post #305 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

A good resource for future reference:
http://www.displaylag.com/

Last year's Panasonic plasma's had very good results in the lag department, really just about as good as you'll find from a large HDTV, so there is every expectation this years will as well. However keep in mind every display was tested while using that TV's "gaming mode."

Size Brand Model Resolution Refresh Rate Screen Type Display Type Input Lag Rating
55" Panasonic TC-P55VT50 1080p 600hz 3D Plasma HDTV 40ms GREAT

55" Panasonic TC-P55ST50 1080p 600hz 3D Plasma HDTV 40ms GREAT

The 2011 S series were better
post #306 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

The 2011 S series were better

So without measuring hardware you think you could tell the difference between 40ms and 32ms? Or 8-1000ths of a second?!

I'll stand by my statement, the 2012 Panny's in the display lag department tested about as fast as you will find in the large HDTV segment.... unless one can visually discern the difference between 32 and 40 ms, then they might want to track down a 2011 display wink.gif
post #307 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanva View Post

I think he was saying that the honest reviews are a gift (not something that they have to do), not that the reviews were dishonest.

I'm not sure how you got that out of the post that I quoted.

Bill
post #308 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post


HD cable is head and shoulders better... main reason I returned my st50. Not sure about banding

How would you rate the sound on the ST60 vs. the ST50? The ST60 does not have the 8 train speakers like the 50. tia
post #309 of 12340
As far as input lag , we can look at past models, but I know on the one st60 review I have seen, that was from the Europe model , quoted input lag at 62 ms , which would be terrible . So I was hoping someone that had a US set could clarify what they noticed .
post #310 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

As far as input lag , we can look at past models, but I know on the one st60 review I have seen, that was from the Europe model , quoted input lag at 62 ms , which would be terrible . So I was hoping someone that had a US set could clarify what they noticed .

Personally specifically in the DL department I would trust displaylag's measurements over other reviewers (see their section on testing). Obviously I am not aware of the specific review you are thinking of, however when researching the Sammy E7000 I eventually purchased I did find that a few reviewers knew how to correctly set the panel to its lowest latency mode but that most did not.

If a panel is not DL tested in its "gaming" mode, then it is effectively a meaningless data point. In the case of Samsung even better to test it in its somewhat hidden PC mode.
post #311 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

So without measuring hardware you think you could tell the difference between 40ms and 32ms? Or 8-1000ths of a second?!

I'll stand by my statement, the 2012 Panny's in the display lag department tested about as fast as you will find in the large HDTV segment.... unless one can visually discern the difference between 32 and 40 ms, then they might want to track down a 2011 display wink.gif

I was just throwing that out there not a gamer myself
post #312 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

As far as input lag , we can look at past models, but I know on the one st60 review I have seen, that was from the Europe model , quoted input lag at 62 ms , which would be terrible . So I was hoping someone that had a US set could clarify what they noticed .

I think the industry trend in plasma is to de-emphasize the importance of input lag as a priority, the numbers have been getting poorer every year from the info I have seen
post #313 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

As far as input lag , we can look at past models, but I know on the one st60 review I have seen, that was from the Europe model , quoted input lag at 62 ms , which would be terrible . So I was hoping someone that had a US set could clarify what they noticed .

Last years models were only around 10 less, but moving backwards is never good.
post #314 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanva 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins 
Take your time Chad! You and Chris don't have to give us honest reviews. Its a lot of work plus you could be making money doing calibrations instead.

I'm sure Chris' and Chad's reviews will be honest and very helpful to many of us here. Why would they do anything but that?

Bill

I think he was saying that the honest reviews are a gift (not something that they have to do), not that the reviews were dishonest.

I'm not sure how you got that out of the post that I quoted.

Bill

Hotskins acknowledged that calibrators are donating their time by contributing reviews, so he is merely expressing appreciation for that, & insisting they do so at their convenience.

"We don't mind waiting because the reviews are so helpful," is all I got, but maybe he really did mean "meh take your time since we all know you're just cooking up another phony shill review anyway!"

biggrin.gif
post #315 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

How would you rate the sound on the ST60 vs. the ST50? The ST60 does not have the 8 train speakers like the 50. tia

It's not as good I was kinda floored by the st50

St60 is just like meh but I have a full surround
post #316 of 12340
Quote:
So without measuring hardware you think you could tell the difference between 40ms and 32ms? Or 8-1000ths of a second?!

I'll stand by my statement, the 2012 Panny's in the display lag department tested about as fast as you will find in the large HDTV segment....


btw does lag generally get inherently worse the bigger you go, all else being equal (brand/model etc.)?
post #317 of 12340
After almost a full week of viewing I am happy to report no buzzing on 55ST60. I can only hear it if I put my head behind the TV and then only at quite low levels. I don't think I have any hearing impairment, at least no one has told me that, unless they have told me and I just could not hear them.

Also to respond Randy (a bit late) I finally tested it on a 720p signal using my apple tv and netflix and found it to be better than the ST50, at least as far as I can recall, since I was unable to watch the ST50 during the last 5weeks that it was in my house. So far no complaints, and lots of wows for the depth of colour,easy adjustment, sharper picture, and better blacks of the ST60.
post #318 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

So without measuring hardware you think you could tell the difference between 40ms and 32ms? Or 8-1000ths of a second?!

I'll stand by my statement, the 2012 Panny's in the display lag department tested about as fast as you will find in the large HDTV segment.... unless one can visually discern the difference between 32 and 40 ms, then they might want to track down a 2011 display wink.gif

Be careful now.

With talk like that WaveBoy is bound to show up and tell us the difference between CRT and 1 frame of lag. biggrin.gif
post #319 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Hmmm...I have until April 7 to decide if I want to return my 55ST50. I have ~375 hours on it. Still can't get past the buzzing. Picture uniformity is good, but there are some vertical streaks visible when the camera pans fast on a solid, lighter colored background, e.g., hazy skies, soccer field and the like.
Definitely concerns of mine, too. I returned two ST50s for those two exact problems, and decided to hold out for an ST60. I invite the current reviewers to pay attention to these issues during their evaluations.
post #320 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

It's not as good I was kinda floored by the st50

St60 is just like meh but I have a full surround

Thanks for the reply. I felt the same way when I heard the sound on my 60GT50. Sometimes it sounds just tremendous. The bass has rattled the back panel at times with no distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

According to the specs posted by Panasonic; The VT60 models will not have the 8 train speakers this year also.

Speakers Front Speakers (Side SPK) x 2, Woofer (75 mm) x 1
Speaker Output 20 W (5 + 5 + 10)
Surround Mode VR-Audio Pro Stage 2.1

Looks like that feature may have been permanently derailed!

Since the new models are priced lower than last years they had to cut costs somewhere. So sound is one place where they found some money.
post #321 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

Thanks for the reply. I felt the same way when I heard the sound on my 60GT50. Sometimes it sounds just tremendous. The bass has rattled the back panel at times with no distortion.
Since the new models are priced lower than last years they had to cut costs somewhere. So sound is one place where they found some money.

Fine with me...give me PQ!
post #322 of 12340
Just went out to the local BestBuy and looked at the 50ST60. The set was on the topmost mount and when I viewed it, it looked pretty dim to me. I grabbed the remote and changed to custom mode, then changed the panel brightness to high. I also changed the gamma all around (2.6-1.8) and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this set ever coming close to the brightness of a LED, as some have said. It seemed just as bright as the GT series from 2012 (which was also there) The filter does a good job of reflecting light, and the screen was crisp and clear to me, much better than last years models. I was really looking forward to this set blowing me away and I guess I'm disappointed. My question to you all, is it the set being up so high and running the bestbuy video demo what's affecting my perception? My dilemma is I want to buy the 60" model and can't just get it home and try it out and then take it back... So I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinions on my statements....
Edited by psychod2 - 3/29/13 at 7:24pm
post #323 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

Just went out to the local BestBuy and looked at the 60ST50. The set was on the topmost mount and when I viewed it, it looked pretty dim to me. I grabbed the remote and changed to custom mode, then changed the panel brightness to high. I also changed the gamma all around (2.6-1.8) and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this set ever coming close to the brightness of a LED, as some have said. It seemed just as bright as the GT series from 2012 (which was also there) The filter does a good job of reflecting light, and the screen was crisp and clear to me, much better than last years models. I was really looking forward to this set blowing me away and I guess I'm disappointed. My question to you all, is it the set being up so high and running the bestbuy video demo what's affecting my perception? My dilemma is I want to buy the 60" model and can't just get it home and try it out and then take it back... So I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinions on my statements....

Who ever said it would be as bright as an LED ? That's the F8500's claim to fame this year. It is basically a ST50 in a new wrapper, yes improved in some aspects. IF you want that kind of brightness you need to take home an LED imo
post #324 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

Just went out to the local BestBuy and looked at the 60ST50. The set was on the topmost mount and when I viewed it, it looked pretty dim to me. I grabbed the remote and changed to custom mode, then changed the panel brightness to high. I also changed the gamma all around (2.6-1.8) and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this set ever coming close to the brightness of a LED, as some have said. It seemed just as bright as the GT series from 2012 (which was also there) The filter does a good job of reflecting light, and the screen was crisp and clear to me, much better than last years models. I was really looking forward to this set blowing me away and I guess I'm disappointed. My question to you all, is it the set being up so high and running the bestbuy video demo what's affecting my perception? My dilemma is I want to buy the 60" model and can't just get it home and try it out and then take it back... So I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinions on my statements....

It's nearly bright as an led in regular viewing I get none of the dim feeling I had with mt st50. But it's not going to be near any led that's maxed out on the store wall.
post #325 of 12340
I agree, that if I want that kind of brightness I should get a LED. I however don't want to deal with the motion problems of LCD/LED, so I'm in the boat for the plasma, and I already own a LGPM6700 plasma. Samsung plasmas seem brighter, but they go overboard on the ABL which kills a hockey game. I did have the PN51e550 and took it back because of this. (It's not photo flashes). I was amazed on the quality of the image the ST60 produced, and I'm weighing my options.
post #326 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

I agree, that if I want that kind of brightness I should get a LED. I however don't want to deal with the motion problems of LCD/LED, so I'm in the boat for the plasma, and I already own a LGPM6700 plasma. Samsung plasmas seem brighter, but they go overboard on the ABL which kills a hockey game. I did have the PN51e550 and took it back because of this. (It's not photo flashes). I was amazed on the quality of the image the ST60 produced, and I'm weighing my options.

Its a tough choice then I guess assuming the F8500 is out of your price range ?
post #327 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by betheri View Post

After almost a full week of viewing I am happy to report no buzzing on 55ST60. I can only hear it if I put my head behind the TV and then only at quite low levels. I don't think I have any hearing impairment, at least no one has told me that, unless they have told me and I just could not hear them.

I just opened up my 60 inch ST 30 today Tightened all the screws and did not help one bit. I guess these plasma power boards tend to get worse over time.
post #328 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

Just went out to the local BestBuy and looked at the 60ST50. The set was on the topmost mount and when I viewed it, it looked pretty dim to me. I grabbed the remote and changed to custom mode, then changed the panel brightness to high. I also changed the gamma all around (2.6-1.8) and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this set ever coming close to the brightness of a LED, as some have said. It seemed just as bright as the GT series from 2012 (which was also there) The filter does a good job of reflecting light, and the screen was crisp and clear to me, much better than last years models. I was really looking forward to this set blowing me away and I guess I'm disappointed. My question to you all, is it the set being up so high and running the bestbuy video demo what's affecting my perception? My dilemma is I want to buy the 60" model and can't just get it home and try it out and then take it back... So I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinions on my statements....
Wait... Just to clarify, are you talking about the ST60 or the ST50? Your post refers to "60ST50" which would be last years model...
post #329 of 12340
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just will be surprised that a 60" ST60 would be in the stores already... If it WAS an ST50 instead of an ST60, the ST50 WOULD be more dim. The ST60 models should be brighter and handle reflective light a lot better.
post #330 of 12340
Chunon you're right 2800-3000 is way too much. I was staying around the 1400-1600 range. I can't justify the extra 1500. AdamHD yes it's the new TC-P50ST60, the 50" model but I'm interested in the 60" model which isn't out in the stores yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread