or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 126

post #3751 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I found they both handle glare pretty equal. The Panny's colors seem to wash out a little more in the light though but I think it might be that the contrast was to low. I recently raised it but have not seen how it looks in the daylight yet. But as far as glare, I think it is a wash.

Thanks for the quick response Eric! I take it you are talking about it compared to the e8000? In that case man I may give the ST60 a hard look for the value right now. It will be in a brighter room with afternoon shade. I was just impressed on the E8000 as it looked more matte than some of the low end Plasmas I have seen in stores that really have the glossy appearance.
post #3752 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Thanks for the quick response Eric! I take it you are talking about it compared to the e8000? In that case man I may give the ST60 a hard look for the value right now. It will be in a brighter room with afternoon shade. I was just impressed on the E8000 aI it looked more matte than some of the low end Plasmas I have seen in stores that really have the glossy appearance.
Yeah, I had theI e7000 which used the same filter as the e8000. I think in general the better plasma's handle glare pretty well. It is the lower end models that do not have the filters to help with the glare.
post #3753 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Hi guys,
Looking for opinions on those that own the ST60. I'm comparing getting last years Samsung e8000 or this years Panny ST60. I have not been able to see the Panasonic in person. My friend owns the Samsung E8000 and as far as plasma's go, it appears to have more of a matte finish and in his bright living room does great. I'm curious how the ST60 is? Is the screen pretty glossy with lots of glare? For this reason alone I'm tempted to maybe wait out for the F8500 to go on sale or snag a E8000 while they are still some left. I'd love to try Panasonic's , but not sure how glossy the screen's are. My local town's best buy is pretty small so they don't stock them. Thanks for any advice!

The ST60 has an AR filter. I have mine in the living room with a big bay window on the side, obviously daytime viewing is not the same as nighttime viewing but it's more than acceptable imo
post #3754 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

The ST60 has an AR filter. I have mine in the living room with a big bay window on the side, obviously daytime viewing is not the same as nighttime viewing but it's more than acceptable imo

Thanks BlueOne. My room has 3 side windows so the light would not be directly falling on the TV. My friend's house has the same type room setup and I was very impressed with the e8000's ability to not have much glare and look pretty bright for the most part. I can only imagine the ST60 would hopefully appear the same or better being newer technology. I was going to hold out for a F8500, but really would like the 60" and with current pricing Id wait a bit for the f8500 to come down. The ST60 makes a compelling argument for me now. Only concern on the Panny's besides possible glare is IR compared to the Samsungs.
post #3755 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

Any chance you can provide a link for the kit you ordered?

sure here it is..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5M-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-cool-white-IP33-Dimmer-12V2A-Power-/310621089492?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item8e11794eec

It usually takes about 3 weeks to arrive give or take a few days.. Make sure that you select the option that contains all the components.. the price should be $14.52.
post #3756 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Hi guys,
Looking for opinions on those that own the ST60. I'm comparing getting last years Samsung e8000 or this years Panny ST60. I have not been able to see the Panasonic in person. My friend owns the Samsung E8000 and as far as plasma's go, it appears to have more of a matte finish and in his bright living room does great. I'm curious how the ST60 is? Is the screen pretty glossy with lots of glare? For this reason alone I'm tempted to maybe wait out for the F8500 to go on sale or snag a E8000 while they are still some left. I'd love to try Panasonic's , but not sure how glossy the screen's are. My local town's best buy is pretty small so they don't stock them. Thanks for any advice!

I owned the es8000, and had it side by side with the panasonic gt50,in my home. and i thought the samsungs picture was horrible. I tried Cnets settings and others that i found
online, and still found the picture very poor.. If im not mistaken i could of swore that the es8000 even had more glare..
post #3757 of 12340
So I've been running slides since this past Sat at 1pm...I'm a little concerned that the TV has been on nonstop....can the TV handle this? Or should I give it a break? Thanks
post #3758 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsinbox View Post

So I've been running slides since this past Sat at 1pm...I'm a little concerned that the TV has been on nonstop....can the TV handle this? Or should I give it a break? Thanks

Don't worry about it, it's no problem. But if you feel better shutting it off for a bit, by all means go ahead, it won't hurt - either way
post #3759 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Thanks BlueOne. My room has 3 side windows so the light would not be directly falling on the TV. My friend's house has the same type room setup and I was very impressed with the e8000's ability to not have much glare and look pretty bright for the most part. I can only imagine the ST60 would hopefully appear the same or better being newer technology. I was going to hold out for a F8500, but really would like the 60" and with current pricing Id wait a bit for the f8500 to come down. The ST60 makes a compelling argument for me now. Only concern on the Panny's besides possible glare is IR compared to the Samsungs.

No worries man. Here's a picture just to give you an idea. Now it's 1pm and the sun is literally shining right into that bay window at this time - doesn't get worse than this.. You can see the glare on the screen but that's mainly because the pic is taken from the side. When viewing from the sofa it's much much better than this..

As for IR, I have no issues - sports games, news channels, widescreen movies, no IR whatsoever so far (knock on wood..). Others have reported the same. I don't think you should worry about this on a 2013 Panasonic, not more than with any other brands anyways imo.


post #3760 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsinbox View Post

So I've been running slides since this past Sat at 1pm...I'm a little concerned that the TV has been on nonstop....can the TV handle this? Or should I give it a break? Thanks

Most people would probably say its harmless, but If it was me, I would not run my brand new tv non-stop, for what is essentially no good reason.. Keep in mind these tv's produce a lot of heat..
post #3761 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

sure here it is..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5M-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-cool-white-IP33-Dimmer-12V2A-Power-/310621089492?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item8e11794eec

It usually takes about 3 weeks to arrive give or take a few days.. Make sure that you select the option that contains all the components.. the price should be $14.52.

Thanks Tony - I called and canceled my Inspired LED order and bought the $14.52 kit you linked to. Appreciate your help.
post #3762 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsinbox View Post

So I've been running slides since this past Sat at 1pm...I'm a little concerned that the TV has been on nonstop....can the TV handle this? Or should I give it a break? Thanks
There are people who run there tv 24-7 365 days a year.............
post #3763 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

So can someone please tell me what 1080p pixel direct does? Why do I need it enabled, and do I need to have "Photo" enabled to use it? Or should I have "Photo" on at all times?


Thanks

1080p Pixel Direct is for non-RGB color space. So if you watch DVD/BD in it's original color format, YCbCr, then you could turn it on. It's not meant for RGB, which is what Xbox and PC graphics would be used for. Basically, DVD or BD only. So, if you aren't really doing that, keep it off. Especially since simply turning it on adds 1 frame of input lag, and lots of edge halos.

Photo isn't required to use it but you'll get edge halos without.

Photo is only required if you don't want edge halos in other modes, like PC modes that scale sub 1280x1024 resolutions.

It's for any 4:4:4 pixel format as I understand it. You can see the difference on Bluray playing Spears and Munsil Chroma Multiburst and Zone Plate patterns, where enabling 1080p Pixel Direct fully resolves the finest alternating red and blue lines. On a PC outputting RGB, you can see it on the same pattern (if you copy the m2ts file and play it in XBMC, say) or by putting up some red text on a blue background. Without the option enabled, that text will look like crap; with it, it looks like it's on a PC monitor. AIDA64 has a full screen test pattern like that, and red/blue is the only one affected out of several color combinations. I'm assuming Photo mode is enabled to defeat the sharpening that otherwise comes with the option. I couldn't give you an example of real content where I can tell the difference, so I went back to leaving 1080p Pixel Direct off. The set calibrates slightly differently with it on, and leaving it off looks great.
post #3764 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I owned the es8000, and had it side by side with the panasonic gt50,in my home. and i thought the samsungs picture was horrible. I tried Cnets settings and others that i found
online, and still found the picture very poor.. If im not mistaken i could of swore that the es8000 even had more glare..

Thanks you mean the e8000 right not the LED ES8000 that you mentioned? Trying to compare the 2 plasmas
post #3765 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

No worries man. Here's a picture just to give you an idea. Now it's 1pm and the sun is literally shining right into that bay window at this time - doesn't get worse than this.. You can see the glare on the screen but that's mainly because the pic is taken from the side. When viewing from the sofa it's much much better than this..

As for IR, I have no issues - sports games, news channels, widescreen movies, no IR whatsoever so far (knock on wood..). Others have reported the same. I don't think you should worry about this on a 2013 Panasonic, not more than with any other brands anyways imo.



Thanks for the pic!
post #3766 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

It's for any 4:4:4 pixel format as I understand it. You can see the difference on Bluray playing Spears and Munsil Chroma Multiburst and Zone Plate patterns, where enabling 1080p Pixel Direct fully resolves the finest alternating red and blue lines. On a PC outputting RGB, you can see it on the same pattern (if you copy the m2ts file and play it in XBMC, say) or by putting up some red text on a blue background. Without the option enabled, that text will look like crap; with it, it looks like it's on a PC monitor. AIDA64 has a full screen test pattern like that, and red/blue is the only one affected out of several color combinations. I'm assuming Photo mode is enabled to defeat the sharpening that otherwise comes with the option. I couldn't give you an example of real content where I can tell the difference, so I went back to leaving 1080p Pixel Direct off. The set calibrates slightly differently with it on, and leaving it off looks great.

Perfect then.. I'm gonna leave it OFF too, for now.. lol
post #3767 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

sure here it is..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5M-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-cool-white-IP33-Dimmer-12V2A-Power-/310621089492?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item8e11794eec

It usually takes about 3 weeks to arrive give or take a few days.. Make sure that you select the option that contains all the components.. the price should be $14.52.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tony1. I just ordered one too. smile.gif
post #3768 of 12340
Have you noticed Standard looks better then Home Theater in the media player by default?

Standard in HDMI 1-3 looks very dim, but not in media player. It's weird.
post #3769 of 12340
Last night i tried World of Warcraft in 3D. The input lag is ... insane, even in game mode. In game mode, whithout motion smoth on is painful to watch. Without game mode and with some smooth it looks better but it adds a bit to the already huge input lag.

And the effect is not so ... wow

Damn.
Edited by astateofmind - 5/6/13 at 12:12pm
post #3770 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Got my led 6500k kit up and running THANKS BOND!

Bought the dimmer at the bottom of this review http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B00390GFJS/R2VI25ZEGJ4QXS/ref=aw_cr_R3NYB4EKXD4ZWX?cursor=6&sort=byRankDescending

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9ITQ0/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

Before



After

post #3771 of 12340
Kit was a lil bright for me since my set is diagonal in a corner and not flush against a wall the dimmer fixed my prob
post #3772 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by astateofmind View Post

Last night i tried World of Warcraft in 3D. The input lag is ... insane, even in game mode. In game mode, whithout motion smoth on is painful to watch. Without game mode and with some smooth it looks better but it adds a bit to the already huge input lag.

Damn.

Interestingly I see that Amazon has 3 new customer reviews of this set (sorted by newest first) from May 4th. 2 of the 3 mention the input lag. One says he will not play games on the set because of it, but will keep the set because of the PQ, The other customer is returning it over the issue.

For being "Not a real issue" I have seen far more complaints and even returns now over this issue than any other issue on this set.

So would you say it's unplayable, or can you deal with it? Still on the fence on this set over this issue, though I was leaning towards picking it up. I almost wonder reading some of these comments if there is some variance even between sets...I don't know enough about computers to know if the lag would be exactly the same down to the ms between sets. But I have read a few times that after game mode was turned on, the lag was no longer noticable to them. There couldn't be sets that were just a hair faster, could there? They were only about 10ms away from 4 frames rather than 5 in game mode to begin with.
post #3773 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, Tony1. I just ordered one too. smile.gif

Hey, for that little $$, just ordered one myself and look forward to comparing them. Thanks.
post #3774 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

Interestingly I see that Amazon has 3 new customer reviews of this set (sorted by newest first) from May 4th. 2 of the 3 mention the input lag. One says he will not play games on the set because of it, but will keep the set because of the PQ, The other customer is returning it over the issue.

For being "Not a real issue" I have seen far more complaints and even returns now over this issue than any other issue on this set.

So would you say it's unplayable, or can you deal with it? Still on the fence on this set over this issue, though I was leaning towards picking it up. I almost wonder reading some of these comments if there is some variance even between sets...I don't know enough about computers to know if the lag would be exactly the same down to the ms between sets. But I have read a few times that after game mode was turned on, the lag was no longer noticable to them. There couldn't be sets that were just a hair faster, could there? They were only about 10ms away from 4 frames rather than 5 in game mode to begin with.

Don't forget you're on AVS of course people come here to complain mostly.. Those who take the time to write reviews also tongue.gif

All the happy customers are enjoying their set plain and simple

Within the general population (i.e. non hardcore gamers) I'm sure it's a non issue.
post #3775 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

So would you say it's unplayable, or can you deal with it? Still on the fence on this set over this issue, though I was leaning towards picking it up. I almost wonder reading some of these comments if there is some variance even between sets...I don't know enough about computers to know if the lag would be exactly the same down to the ms between sets. But I have read a few times that after game mode was turned on, the lag was no longer noticable to them. There couldn't be sets that were just a hair faster, could there? They were only about 10ms away from 4 frames rather than 5 in game mode to begin with.

I'm playing it just ok without 3D (stereophonic) and input lag is not noticeable to me, i'm not saying that it is not there, but i don't feel it at all in wow and neither in the shooters i played (dead space 3 and a bit of crysis 3) , maybe a bit in the mouse movement in starcraft II but not something too disturbing. Would i use it for tournaments? no. would i usee it for home, casual gaming? Definetely.

But as soon as i enable 3D ... it's unplayable.
post #3776 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Within the general population (i.e. non hardcore gamers) I'm sure it's a non issue.

That's the point of the issue, it's crossed the threshold of hardcore gamers (which is much lower lag times) and entered into the realm of noticeable by even casual games, depending on how sensitive they are. I'll spare you the lengthy explination that's been given several times...just trust me.

I was speaking more like within the subset of people who have issues with the set. But of course complaints on AVS are not considered mainstream. But on Amazon, where I have seen the issue mention a few times now in the reviews, that sounds more like the kind of regular joe customers they are courting. I've seen this issue snowball since it began. How much remains to be seen, but it's no longer just an AVS or hardcore gamers forum issue. It's crossing over a bit.
post #3777 of 12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

That's the point of the issue, it's crossed the threshold of hardcore gamers (which is much lower lag times) and entered into the realm of noticeable by even casual games, depending on how sensitive they are. I'll spare you the lengthy explination that's been given several times...just trust me.

I was speaking more like within the subset of people who have issues with the set. But of course complaints on AVS are not considered mainstream. But on Amazon, where I have seen the issue mention a few times now in the reviews, that sounds more like the kind of regular joe customers they are courting. I've seen this issue snowball since it began. How much remains to be seen, but it's no longer just an AVS or hardcore gamers forum issue. It's crossing over a bit.

Right I see what you mean. You know more than me on this for sure so I'm taking your word for it, no worries.
post #3778 of 12340
So this has absolutely nothing to do with the ST60 but while I impatiently wait for my set, I'm contemplating returning my wall mount.I bought an 80 dollar Bell'O mount from Video Only. Any advantage to that as opposed to a 24 dollar ultra thin mount from monoprice? I mean. I'd love to save 55 bucks where I can.
post #3779 of 12340
I got this 50" last week and thought I'd give my thoughts and some things I noticed. For the input lag since that's a big discussion point, I'll say that as a "gamer" (I use this term lightly) I play console RPGs and things that don't usually require a lot of twitch timing and I have no problem with it. I don't notice much difference in Game Mode but I already manually disabled a lot of settings, so if Game Mode simply turns those off, it won't make much difference to me.

When it comes to calibrating this guy, I'm wondering whether to go with Custom or another setting. I went through the settings and made Custom and Cinema exactly the same in every regard, but when you switch between them you can still notice some color saturation differences. I'm going to try and find the service menu and see if there's other differences between these that exist outside of the normal settings menu before I start. The idea being to start with whichever one is closest to "default everything." Does anyone know about this already?
post #3780 of 12340
I've seen some of you talk about Ambilight clones and other back lighting, so I wanted to share this fella's project I stumbled upon a few weeks ago. It's essentially a very promising Ambilight clone that does not require a PC to run; it is self contained and runs off a splitter or TV output (if you have it). I don't have any affiliation with him, though I did send him a few suggestions and to my surprise he actually implemented them, I'm just hoping that if he gets pestered about it enough he will start a Kickstarter and I'll be able to buy the thing sooner. Check it out - http://www.keiang.de/Content-pid-32.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread