or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 224

post #6691 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

Charles Cooper calibrated my p60st60 on Saturday.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #6692 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

It cant be prevented. Line bleed is just a quirk of plasmas. Same goes with rainbow effect. Not everyone can see it, you are one of the lucky few (along with me).

What he said..

Thought Line bleed is far less noticeable after Chad calibrated my set, even he commented at how much less noticeable it was..

However rainbow effect is just something you live with, it's like those with slow color wheel DLP projectors, some are super sensitive others will never notice..

However I hardly notice it on my blu-rays, more so on my lower quality rips on my server
post #6693 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post


how does one locate a professional "calibrator"?
You can also use the links in the signature area at the bottom of my posts for references, location, and tours.

Calibration brings your individual display as close as it can get to the industry standards that are used making movies . There is no practical way to chase poorly done work by members of the industry. eek.gif

We've had calibrated displays since 2005 and most of the time, especially with DVD and Blu-ray, the sources are outstanding. Once in a while there's a bad transfer -- the first Blu-ray release of "The Fifth Eliminate" is one example. TV, especially Live TV, can be all over the place. Personally, I've wanted calibrated displays because our primary sources are DVD and Blu-ray.

No two displays are exactly alike, using someone else's settings may work for you, or they may not work for you. That's up to you and what you're looking for from your display.
Edited by htwaits - 7/1/13 at 5:39pm
post #6694 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

Just ordered my TV from Appliances Direct. Should be delivered by Friday. I plan to calibrate after 100 or so hours and was wondering if it's possible to track the number of hours you've watched through the TV, or would I have to do that manually?

You can check in the service menu, but accessing it might void your warranty..
post #6695 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

50", 55", 60" are just about impossible to get right now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Sears still lists this as a current product for $1449. However, it lists it as unavailable in the Bay Area. Same for the 55". They will ship the 65" - and I assume that means they will ship that anywhere in the U.S. They charge about $150 for shipping.
Sears does have the 60" available in stores in Fresno and L.A.

Edit: Meant to add that Sears says the 55" and 60" unavailable for shipping - just the 65"

Yeah I'm from "the other Bay Area" (Tampa Bay area). My wife called our local Sears & BB and neither had the 60" in stock (only their display models).

I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon 10 minutes ago. I'm in no hurry to get it, just as long as I get it before the the start of the college football season. Particularly before Michigan's first game on 8/31.tongue.gif My Amazon est shipping dates are sometime between 7/25-8/26. It would be nice to get it at least a week before the season starts to break it in.
post #6696 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

I was watching The Avengers this weekend and noticed a brief bit of halos/line bleed and rainbow effect. This was played through my PS3 at 24p.

Halos/line bleed: 37:20

  • White lines from railing extending across Captain America's face
  • While the railing is white, it appears dark in his face
  • Almost looks like his face is semi-transparent and I can see through his face to the railing behind him (especially the second and third lines)



Rainbow effect: 1:08:47

  • Running 96hz mode
  • The camera pans around Captain America & Nick Fury
  • As it pans their bodies turn from normal to red and then green
  • In 60hz the rainbow effect goes away, but there seems to be a judder to the motion (just not red/green)
  • I couldn't get a pic of this because it only occurred during movement (pausing it removed the rainbow effect)


Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? Have you experience this before?

You need to stop running 96hz mode. I had all my settings at 24fps and 96hz - plus every other combo. I saw all the same things. Apparently this TV runs best at 60hz from the source and 60 Hz or 120 hz on the TV. Just my experience. Someone else can chime in but I basically turned off all the "features" because they all caused artifacting. Now with everything "off" - I haven't seen any issues in weeks.
post #6697 of 12345
In the past, when Panasonic's run dry like this, it was about 60 days max before production is full force for everyone again......
post #6698 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

You need to stop running 96hz mode. I had all my settings at 24fps and 96hz - plus every other combo. I saw all the same things. Apparently this TV runs best at 60hz from the source and 60 Hz or 120 hz on the TV. Just my experience. Someone else can chime in but I basically turned off all the "features" because they all caused artifacting. Now with everything "off" - I haven't seen any issues in weeks.
I'm starting to gravitate towards this approach. I still notice judder in 96Hz, so there is no real benefit to run it in that mode. I find that if you find the judder to be too much, engage the motion smoother & set it to low. Here's a good read
http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm
post #6699 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

I was watching The Avengers this weekend and noticed a brief bit of halos/line bleed and rainbow effect. This was played through my PS3 at 24p.

Halos/line bleed: 37:20

  • White lines from railing extending across Captain America's face
  • While the railing is white, it appears dark in his face
  • Almost looks like his face is semi-transparent and I can see through his face to the railing behind him (especially the second and third lines)



Rainbow effect: 1:08:47

  • Running 96hz mode
  • The camera pans around Captain America & Nick Fury
  • As it pans their bodies turn from normal to red and then green
  • In 60hz the rainbow effect goes away, but there seems to be a judder to the motion (just not red/green)
  • I couldn't get a pic of this because it only occurred during movement (pausing it removed the rainbow effect)


Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? Have you experience this before?
Sorry you can't. It's a derivative of the plasma technology.
post #6700 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

In the past, when Panasonic's run dry like this, it was about 60 days max before production is full force for everyone again......

That's good to hear! Thanks for heads up! smile.gif
post #6701 of 12345
Anyone here have directtv and a Genie (Hr34 or hr44)? Today I can no longer watch HBO or most premium channels, or any recordings I have and it says 'Your TV does not support this program's content protection.' error. I see at least one other person with the same issue. I initially had everything working on my HK AVR 254. I even took my AVR out of the loop and went to direct TV to hr44. Same problems. Tried 2 hdmi cables, the Redmere I got from newegg, and a standard hi-speed cable I got with me cheetah mount on amazon - no difference. Anyone here having hdcp issues with this stuff on their panny? From what I read they are blaming Panasonic, and Panasonic is blaming Directtv.
post #6702 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf View Post

Anyone here have directtv and a Genie (Hr34 or hr44)? Today I can no longer watch HBO or most premium channels, or any recordings I have and it says 'Your TV does not support this program's content protection.' error. I see at least one other person with the same issue. I initially had everything working on my HK AVR 254. I even took my AVR out of the loop and went to direct TV to hr44. Same problems. Tried 2 hdmi cables, the Redmere I got from newegg, and a standard hi-speed cable I got with me cheetah mount on amazon - no difference. Anyone here having hdcp issues with this stuff on their panny? From what I read they are blaming Panasonic, and Panasonic is blaming Directtv.

I've seen the issue with my TiVo which has a cable card in it and is used for OTA. In my opinion it seems to be a handshake problem in the HDMI connection. When it happens, I have found the fix to be to turn off the set and the TiVo box, then turn the TV back on and wait for it to display the annoying banner at the top of the screen, then turn the TiVo back on. This always seems to fix it.

I even had the sound go out of sync yesterday on recorded content right after having seen the error pop-up about copy protection, but I think it cleared itself before I turned everything off. I'm talking several seconds delay in video versus audio. Again, once I turned everything off, then turned the TV on first and waited for it to actually be live, then turned on the TiVo, it fixed the sync issue between audio & video.

YMMV.
post #6703 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

You need to stop running 96hz mode. I had all my settings at 24fps and 96hz - plus every other combo. I saw all the same things. Apparently this TV runs best at 60hz from the source and 60 Hz or 120 hz on the TV. Just my experience. Someone else can chime in but I basically turned off all the "features" because they all caused artifacting. Now with everything "off" - I haven't seen any issues in weeks.

Thanks HD2Blu. Just to clarify, the screenshot is from 60hz. I usually run 60hz but finally got around to trying 96hz with my viewing of The Avengers. The pictured line bleed occurred in both 60hz and 96hz. The rainbow effect only occurred in 96hz, so I went back to and have kept it on 60hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I'm starting to gravitate towards this approach. I still notice judder in 96Hz, so there is no real benefit to run it in that mode. I find that if you find the judder to be too much, engage the motion smoother & set it to low. Here's a good read
http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm

I'll give that a try, thanks Cadett. That said, the only real time I noticed the judder was during this one scene. It just might have been a combination of the lens and speed of the pan. Really great article!
Edited by ryansebiz - 7/2/13 at 6:44am
post #6704 of 12345
Ok - sport fans. My new panel has been up for a week "breaking in".

I have set it to come on full screen, thanks to this forum. [Why the default was otherwise is beyond me.] What I need is something like "Using a Smart TV for Dummies".

Although this is my 4th plasma it is the first one that is more than just a screen w. an input(s). (The first 2 only had one component input.) I am overwhelmed. I did figure out how to get my laptop to communicate w. the screen. (Took a while to figure out how to change a setting in the laptop.) Haven't figured out how to set up my Android tablet.
I have learned, here, I should/need need to get a sound bar. [Not 100% convinced I should go that way because I was brought up that left/right speakers should be at least 6 feet apart.]

So, is there a place here on AVS where I can learn this stuff? Eg. When I pull up the "Apps" screen there are items I don't know how to use like "Web Browser". I would guess that means there is a browser built in to the panel. I would need a keyboard to "talk" to the panel. How do I do this? The long Panny manual online shows how to change settings but not how to operate the system.

Thanks.
post #6705 of 12345
I just bit and purchased my first plasma set yesterday. I purchased the 50", since that is the only size that would fit in the location to replace the old TV wall mounted. I am very excited to see picture quality upgrade over my old Samsung LCD display.
post #6706 of 12345
Has anybody found a real use for the S pen? I just received one free, through a Sears promotion. I was planning on just flipping it on Ebay, or craigslist. If anything, it seems like it would just influence my son to draw on the tv, with anything he gets his hands on. That is a scary thought.
post #6707 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

Just ordered my TV from Appliances Direct. Should be delivered by Friday. I plan to calibrate after 100 or so hours and was wondering if it's possible to track the number of hours you've watched through the TV, or would I have to do that manually?

It is recommended that you wait till the 300 hour mark to calibrate the ST60 plasmas.

Here is how to access the service menu on your tv to check for hours.
Note: You must hold the VOL- key on the panel itself keep it pressed while pressing the info key on the remote control. Also you highlight the empty box next to the string of numbers then hold mute. It is a blue box with columns and rows. To exit press and hold power button on the panel.

DO NOT press any other keys than what has been referenced here, it is a good way to mess up your tv. If you are not getting the blue box to come up press the power button on the panel to exit and try again. DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY OF YOUR ACTIONS. Only try this if you feel comfortable entering the service menu. There is some debate as to wheather or not entering the service menu will void the warranty. Again do so at your own risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

Turn the TV on.

Hold Vol - on the panel

Press Info 3 or 4 times.

Press 2 to go to the info menu in service. Hit ok.

There is a string of numbers on the lower right box. Highlight it.

Hold Mute for about 5 seconds, and it will report the time the TV has been used and how many times the service menu has been accessed.

Edited by fester99 - 7/6/13 at 6:19pm
post #6708 of 12345
Pauls is sold out, just talked to them, they expect more in 1-2 weeks. Chris at Cleveland Plasma is checking around for me. No best buy or sears within 300 miles of me has them. frown.gif
post #6709 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? Have you experience this before?

Line Bleed: I notice it on the ST60 more than the F8500 I used to have during the green movie preview screen, end of movie credits, and while surfing the web. During regular viewing, I've noticed it about the same or less. Typical for a plasma, not an issue.

Rainbow Effect: Never noticed it on the F8500, and started noticing it on the ST60 about a week or 2 into owning it. I now notice it regularly, when moving my eyes from one spot on the screen to another spot on the screen. It's my only issue with this TV, although I watched some stuff last night and wasn't aware of or distracted by them, so maybe I'm finally getting used to them, or something... I also finally noticed it on my gf's mom's VT30, but it was harder to notice and I had to get closer to it. They have a 50" and sit about 15ft away, I have a 60" and sit about 11ft away.

Besides that, this TV is about perfect. No buzzing from viewing spot (F8500 buzz was unacceptable), no DSE that I've noticed (F8500 had a horizontal band), no IR at all (I was able to create IR very quickly on the F8500), and no difference in sharpness/clarity that was noticeable enough for me to remember. The F8500 was still better in direct light/daytime, but when I turned off the lights at night I quickly got bad eye fatigue. I tried turning off the lights for the first time with my ST60 on Sunday for True Blood and Dexter, and no eye fatigue at all. I was real stoked.

I've been running D-nice settings, but noticed the other night an all black screen looked kind of redish, and when I got up close to the TV there was dancing red static, so I switched to cinema which is cnet and the blacks look better, but other things don't look as spot on as the D-nice settings. Will try cadett's settings again tonight and try to get a good medium between all 3.
post #6710 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Line Bleed: I notice it on the ST60 more than the F8500 I used to have during the green movie preview screen, end of movie credits, and while surfing the web. During regular viewing, I've noticed it about the same or less. Typical for a plasma, not an issue.

Rainbow Effect: Never noticed it on the F8500, and started noticing it on the ST60 about a week or 2 into owning it. I now notice it regularly, when moving my eyes from one spot on the screen to another spot on the screen. It's my only issue with this TV, although I watched some stuff last night and wasn't aware of or distracted by them, so maybe I'm finally getting used to them, or something... I also finally noticed it on my gf's mom's VT30, but it was harder to notice and I had to get closer to it. They have a 50" and sit about 15ft away, I have a 60" and sit about 11ft away.

Besides that, this TV is about perfect. No buzzing from viewing spot (F8500 buzz was unacceptable), no DSE that I've noticed (F8500 had a horizontal band), no IR at all (I was able to create IR very quickly on the F8500), and no difference in sharpness/clarity that was noticeable enough for me to remember. The F8500 was still better in direct light/daytime, but when I turned off the lights at night I quickly got bad eye fatigue. I tried turning off the lights for the first time with my ST60 on Sunday for True Blood and Dexter, and no eye fatigue at all. I was real stoked.

I've been running D-nice settings, but noticed the other night an all black screen looked kind of redish, and when I got up close to the TV there was dancing red static, so I switched to cinema which is cnet and the blacks look better, but other things don't look as spot on as the D-nice settings. Will try cadett's settings again tonight and try to get a good medium between all 3.

My settings should remove this as I commented about the same issue with D-Nice's settings.
post #6711 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

It is recommended that you wait till the 300 hour mark to calibrate the ST60 plasmas.

Here is how to access the service menu on your tv to check for hours.
Note: You must hold the VOL- key on the panel itself keep it pressed while pressing the info key on the remote control. Also you highlight the empty box next to the string of numbers then hold mute. It is a blue box with columns and rows. To exit press and hold power button on the panel.

DO NOT press any other keys than what has been referenced here, it is a good way to mess up your tv. If you are not getting the blue box to come up press the power button on the panel to exit and try again.
Many thanks. Will have to give this a go as it would be much easier. Will probably wait till the 300 hour mark too.
post #6712 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post


I've been running D-nice settings, but noticed the other night an all black screen looked kind of redish, and when I got up close to the TV there was dancing red static, so I switched to cinema which is cnet and the blacks look better, but other things don't look as spot on as the D-nice settings. Will try cadett's settings again tonight and try to get a good medium between all 3.

Been there done that. LOL. Got a pro calibration and the settings were not even close. Calibrated picture is excellent now from all sources. Not a real bad picture from switching to any channel.
post #6713 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

You need to stop running 96hz mode. I had all my settings at 24fps and 96hz - plus every other combo. I saw all the same things. Apparently this TV runs best at 60hz from the source and 60 Hz or 120 hz on the TV. Just my experience. Someone else can chime in but I basically turned off all the "features" because they all caused artifacting. Now with everything "off" - I haven't seen any issues in weeks.

I agree. I've found a 24fps signal won't playback properly at any of the ST60's hz settings. The only time the 24fps cadence seemed correct to me is when I turned 24fps off on the blu-ray player and let it output 60hz to the TV. Even when setting the TV to 24fps-60hz, the 24 frame signal will have a slight motion smoothed feel (to me eye). 96hz and 24hz being more on the strobing and artifacting side. I work in film though and am super sensitive to 24frame playback. That being said, as long as I set "24fps out" OFF on the blu-ray player I love the TV.

Jesse
post #6714 of 12345
Hello Everyone,

I am going to be purchasing: Panasonic TC-50PS64 50" Class (49.9" Diag.) 1080p Plasma HDTV tonight from Costco.
Pretty excited. first adventure into Plasma.. My question is such.

Im going to be going out of town for a week, and was thinking I could do the entire burn-in period at that time by hooking up the PS3
and letting the 'Break In DVD' just play continuous.

Is this a bad idea? sorry for my noviceness, been trying to read all I can here.
post #6715 of 12345
A week unattended ? That would make me nervous
post #6716 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevio View Post

Im going to be going out of town for a week, and was thinking I could do the entire burn-in period at that time by hooking up the PS3
and letting the 'Break In DVD' just play continuous.

Is this a bad idea? sorry for my noviceness, been trying to read all I can here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

A week unattended ? That would make me nervous

Yeah that would make me nervous as well. I would not do this...

You're relying on multiple electronic devices to work properly for 100+ hours unattended. Although the electronics would probably work most of the time, you're still taking a big risk. There are plenty of situations that could happen that could be very damaging to any of your electronic devices involved in the break-in process, especially to your new TV. Your TV or PS3 could freeze up for whatever reason leaving a static image on your TV for possibly 100+ hours or either device could overheat for whatever reason (less likely though) and crap out. These are just a few possibilities...

Congrats on the new TV though. Hope you enjoy it.
post #6717 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

If you plan on getting the set calibrated, I wouldn't waste your time running slides. There will be some tell you that you need to run slides to get screen uniformity, even if you don't plan on putting in D-Dice's settings, but imo this is mute. Running full screen content for a while will be just as effective.

doesnt zooming in on the picture stretch the picture harming the PQ?
post #6718 of 12345
Yes.
post #6719 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by binici View Post

I just bit and purchased my first plasma set yesterday. I purchased the 50", since that is the only size that would fit in the location to replace the old TV wall mounted. I am very excited to see picture quality upgrade over my old Samsung LCD display.

You'll love this one biggrin.gifcool.gif
post #6720 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevio View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be purchasing: Panasonic TC-50PS64 50" Class (49.9" Diag.) 1080p Plasma HDTV tonight from Costco.
Pretty excited. first adventure into Plasma.. My question is such.

Im going to be going out of town for a week, and was thinking I could do the entire burn-in period at that time by hooking up the PS3
and letting the 'Break In DVD' just play continuous.

Is this a bad idea? sorry for my noviceness, been trying to read all I can here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

A week unattended ? That would make me nervous

This would make me very nervous also. Unless, (1) you have a webcam that you can check once or twice a day - and someone you can call to go over and shut everything off if you see any problems, or (2) you have someone who can go check your house once a day, for sure, not someone that says they will wink.gif

With either of those scenarios, I'd do it and get it over it biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread