or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 232

post #6931 of 12341
I've got the 55ST60, and am ready to wall mount it. I already have a mount from the TV it replaced, which is a "low profile" mount that only puts the TV 1.25" from the wall. I now see in the owner's manual (page 6 CAUTION) that the TV should have at minimum 2 3/4" space at the rear. I've never owned a plasma before, and I guess I don't remember checking on this when I used the mount for my old LCD - is this a warning/guideline that I need to honor or should I be perfectly fine with 1.25" space in the back?
post #6932 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post

what are your settings?

As I tried and probably failed to explain clearly enough, those screenshots were taken after setting Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma to what they would be when starting a calibration, while leaving everything else at their defaults. The intent was to determine the baseline behavior of Cinema and Custom modes and choose the "better" one as the basis for calibration. All settings I've seen have been for Custom mode, except I think Cnet used Cinema, and as I explained, I think Custom is the better starting point, and it's what I use. I haven't posted my real settings yet. Maybe later. smile.gif Given the varying results people have plugging in settings from different TVs, I started a file explaining what I see with various test patterns and real material, so that I can say, "If this is what you see, then these settings might work for you. If this is not what you see, then these settings definitely don't work for your TV." I want to finish that before posting anything.

Getting back to what the OP was asking about, whether Cinema and Custom look the same with the same settings, they don't. As I mentioned a couple posts ago, Cinema clips whites much earlier than Custom for my Brightness/Contrast settings, and the near reference whites are much lighter. Visually, when I plug my Custom settings into Cinema, Cinema looks a little washed out, and skin tones can have a greenish tint.
post #6933 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

What movie was it and what aspect ratio ? Your unit is 16:9 aspect ratio. The director of films decide what aspect ratio they would like to use. In the end you can have bars on the top and bottom and everything be ok. You could also have your format wrong as well, the "format" button is on your remote. Remember where you started wink.gif

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about, but I just tried to change the "format" while watching Netflix and for some reason, the button won't work with Netflix (sourced from the TV) so to the OP - just make sure that when you are NOT in Netflix - press the "format" button at the top right of the remote and set it to "Full". Maybe your black bars were due to this. I'm shocked if you have never seen black bars before unless your bluray player or where're you were streaming content from before was not displaying the Netflix content in true form. Like others have posted, if the movie was created in 1.85:1 it will fill the entire screen. If it was filmed in 2.39:1 there will be black bars at the top and bottom of the image. Whatever the reason for your previous viewing experience, if the TV is set to "Full" you will be watching content the way it was intended.
post #6934 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyou4real View Post

Running in 96 Hz with the smoother set to "weak" or running in 60 Hz with the smoother off, will likely result in a similar picture for 24 fps sources on the ST60. People are using the term "judder" to mean multiple things; however, there are only 2 types of judder.

Any chance you know of some popular Blu rays that can noticeably demonstrate both types of judder?
post #6935 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about, but I just tried to change the "format" while watching Netflix and for some reason, the button won't work with Netflix (sourced from the TV) so to the OP - just make sure that when you are NOT in Netflix - press the "format" button at the top right of the remote and set it to "Full". Maybe your black bars were due to this. I'm shocked if you have never seen black bars before unless your bluray player or where're you were streaming content from before was not displaying the Netflix content in true form. Like others have posted, if the movie was created in 1.85:1 it will fill the entire screen. If it was filmed in 2.39:1 there will be black bars at the top and bottom of the image. Whatever the reason for your previous viewing experience, if the TV is set to "Full" you will be watching content the way it was intended.

You can change the Netflix aspect/format if you view it through PS3 or another device.
post #6936 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguy2 View Post

I've got the 55ST60, and am ready to wall mount it. I already have a mount from the TV it replaced, which is a "low profile" mount that only puts the TV 1.25" from the wall. I now see in the owner's manual (page 6 CAUTION) that the TV should have at minimum 2 3/4" space at the rear. I've never owned a plasma before, and I guess I don't remember checking on this when I used the mount for my old LCD - is this a warning/guideline that I need to honor or should I be perfectly fine with 1.25" space in the back?

I know the power plug protrudes from the back of the tv but other than that I don't see anything physically that needs 2 3/4" inch clearing, however it may be for ventilation.
post #6937 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

I know the power plug protrudes from the back of the tv but other than that I don't see anything physically that needs 2 3/4" inch clearing, however it may be for ventilation.

The same distance is mentioned for all the models but its there for the benefit of the VT/ZT series which feature active cooling.
The ST series doesn't have fans pushing hot air out the back, so it can be mounted much closer to the wall quite safely.

Panasonic probably can't be bothered differentiating as they'd have to make an entirely new line-art illustration for each manual, costing them billions.biggrin.gif
post #6938 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Video Settings
BD/DVD Cinema Conversion: "Automatic"
BD/DVD Upscaler: "Normal"
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr"
BD 1080p 24Hz Output: "Off" --> On this TV, outputting 24Hz seems to cause strange artifacts whether the TV does 48fps / 60fps / 96fps, but you can always try on your own

Display Settings
RGB Full Range (HDMI): "Limited"
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): "On"
Cheers. Much appreciated. cool.gif
post #6939 of 12341
Random request but can anyone post some daylight shots with the st60 on at home? Trying to get a feel for how it looks outside of a showroom. I realize pics wont show it full justice. Thanks!
post #6940 of 12341
Question about sound & Smart TV Hub:

Current setup:
ST60 connected to AVR via HDMI (in from out).
TiVo connected to ST60 via HDMI (out to in)
TiVo to AVR via optical (out to in) - so I can have sound for the TiVo via Receiver or TV independently.

Question:
How do I connect the AVR to the ST60 so I can watch streaming content from Amazon, etc. with Dolby sound coming out of my AVR?
post #6941 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post

Random request but can anyone post some daylight shots with the st60 on at home? Trying to get a feel for how it looks outside of a showroom. I realize pics wont show it full justice. Thanks!

Here are some afternoon shots of my 60st60.





post #6942 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Here are some afternoon shots of my 60st60.






Hubba!

Are you single? Cause that's the only way I can think you would get away with that nice setup.
All that out in the open stuff got nixed when I got married. LOL!
post #6943 of 12341
I've only been around here less than a month, an owner for less than 3 weeks. Have gone back and read hundreds of thread while watching a couple baseball games. (A's beat Boston again!!)

Have several questions - will start with two.
1. Seems like half the posts deal w. calibrations. Exactly what do these guys do and how do they do it? Do they use a "machine" that reads colors? What is the "goal"? I have seen charts giving results (charts are meaningless to me.) How are they generated?
2. I see the term SOE or "Soap Opera Effect". What is that?
post #6944 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I've only been around here less than a month, an owner for less than 3 weeks. Have gone back and read hundreds of thread while watching a couple baseball games. (A's beat Boston again!!)

Have several questions - will start with two.
1. Seems like half the posts deal w. calibrations. Exactly what do these guys do and how do they do it? Do they use a "machine" that reads colors? What is the "goal"? I have seen charts giving results (charts are meaningless to me.) How are they generated?
2. I see the term SOE or "Soap Opera Effect". What is that?
You can read about what calibration is in this forum.

Display Calibration

SOE makes all faces look like they have heavy "pancake" makeup on. It reminds people of the day time Soap Opera programs were everyone seems to be wearing heavy make up.

The goal of calibration is to adjust a display as close as possible to the standards used in the movie industry. Some benefits of professional calibration would be detailed and natural looking skin tones, being able to see the intended detail in dark scenes, and green grass and skies that look natural.
Edited by htwaits - 7/14/13 at 11:47pm
post #6945 of 12341
I don't think I've heard the soap opera effect ever explained like that. It's basically the "motion smoother" that adds additional video frames and making everything look like soap opera / home video.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57569102-221/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

If you haven't change the TV settings yet, snidely, be sure to change over to Cinema or Custom (instead of Vivid/Dynamic or Standard). That will get you most of the way there to what the picture should look like.
post #6946 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Question about sound & Smart TV Hub:

Current setup:
ST60 connected to AVR via HDMI (in from out).
TiVo connected to ST60 via HDMI (out to in)
TiVo to AVR via optical (out to in) - so I can have sound for the TiVo via Receiver or TV independently.

Question:
How do I connect the AVR to the ST60 so I can watch streaming content from Amazon, etc. with Dolby sound coming out of my AVR?

If the receiver has audio return channel, connect the receiver to HDMI 2 on the TV and turn on ARC and HDMI control on the receiver and turn on Viera Link in the TV setup menus. If the receiver doesn't have ARC, use the optical out of the TV to the receiver.
post #6947 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post


SOE makes all faces look like they have heavy "pancake" makeup on. It reminds people of the day time Soap Opera programs were everyone seems to be wearing heavy make up.
lol Not sure where that came from but you may be thinking of the "oil painting effect" associated with a "soft" picture with little detail that is usually caused by a poor source. Many people complained about this effect with 720p sources on the 50 series.
Edited by Bond 007 - 7/15/13 at 1:57am
post #6948 of 12341
Hey guys,

Been searching and this seems to be a rare issue. Was hoping you guys could help me troubleshoot.

I am using ARC over HDMI to send two sources through the TV to my Receiver. I previously had ARC working with Dolby Digital 5.1 without issue. Suddenly, the Receiver is only showing LPCM (PCM) at 48 from my cable box and Xbox (the two sources plugged into the TV).

I checked the receiver - plugging directly in will result in Dolby. The settings on the sources are to output Dolby. The TV digital audio out setting is on "auto" and not "PCM."

What could have happened?

Thanks in advance!
post #6949 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Hubba!

Are you single? Cause that's the only way I can think you would get away with that nice setup.
All that out in the open stuff got nixed when I got married. LOL!

haha..I'm married but my wife is cool about it, she doesn't really care.
post #6950 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

If the receiver has audio return channel, connect the receiver to HDMI 2 on the TV and turn on ARC and HDMI control on the receiver and turn on Viera Link in the TV setup menus. If the receiver doesn't have ARC, use the optical out of the TV to the receiver.

Appreciate the info. Looks like the latter for my receiver as I don't have ARC unfortunately on the AVR.
post #6951 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDan View Post

Hey guys,

Been searching and this seems to be a rare issue. Was hoping you guys could help me troubleshoot.

I am using ARC over HDMI to send two sources through the TV to my Receiver. I previously had ARC working with Dolby Digital 5.1 without issue. Suddenly, the Receiver is only showing LPCM (PCM) at 48 from my cable box and Xbox (the two sources plugged into the TV).

I checked the receiver - plugging directly in will result in Dolby. The settings on the sources are to output Dolby. The TV digital audio out setting is on "auto" and not "PCM."

What could have happened?

Thanks in advance!

The TV will only send 5.1 from internal sources, tuner, streaming, and USB, all other sources will be 2 channel PCM. If you want 5.1 from other sources they will have to be connected to the receiver, not the TV.
post #6952 of 12341
On my PS3 menu, I now have an Viera ST60 Series icon. But when I click on it, it says access to the media server is not allowed? It is possible that PS3 system has not been registered?
post #6953 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

The TV will only send 5.1 from internal sources, tuner, streaming, and USB, all other sources will be 2 channel PCM. If you want 5.1 from other sources they will have to be connected to the receiver, not the TV.

Are you sure? I thought that was only for Optical. I thought HDMI ARC would handle 5.1. And I'm 99% sure it was working in the past.
post #6954 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDan View Post

And I'm 99% sure it was working in the past.

Is it possible you mistook Dolby PLii for Dolby passthrough?
post #6955 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Is it possible you mistook Dolby PLii for Dolby passthrough?

I'm pretty sure I remember it scrolling 3/2.1 (how my sony shows 5.1). And the reason I noticed it was on PCM is because it sounded different. Can anyone else confirm they are using DD5.1 via HDMI ARC?
post #6956 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post


SOE makes all faces look like they have heavy "pancake" makeup on. It reminds people of the day time Soap Opera programs were everyone seems to be wearing heavy make up.
lol Not sure where that came from but you may be thinking of the "oil painting effect" associated with a "soft" picture with little detail that is usually caused by a poor source. Many people complained about this effect with 720p sources on the 50 series.
Well, I certainly didn't explain what causes SOE. Maybe the lack of skin texture and a false smoothness would have been better. Those characteristics used to be attributed to day time soaps back in the CRT days. My experience watching soaps is very limited and over a decade into the past. Even then it would have been from channel hopping. eek.gif

My SOE and OPE vocabulary is clearly out of date. smile.gif

P.S. I think i know where I got that description. The restored version of Singn' In The Rain has no skin tone or texture detail. In that case, at least part of the problem is makeup.

.
post #6957 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

On my PS3 menu, I now have an Viera ST60 Series icon. But when I click on it, it says access to the media server is not allowed? It is possible that PS3 system has not been registered?


There shouldn't be content on the TV you can access from the PS3, unless maybe you have a USB stick or something inserted into the TV. Even then, I'm not sure. It's just showing connected devices. Ie., my TV and iPad are on the same network, and the Netflix app on the iPad recognizes the TV is connected, and I can view the content queued up on the iPad on the TV instead, and use the tablet to browse and play content.
post #6958 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodriguezDan View Post

Are you sure? I thought that was only for Optical. I thought HDMI ARC would handle 5.1. And I'm 99% sure it was working in the past.

It's not just optical, it's ARC also. If you were getting 5.1 it was from an internal source or USB. This has been discussed in the thread repeatedly.
post #6959 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

There shouldn't be content on the TV you can access from the PS3, unless maybe you have a USB stick or something inserted into the TV. Even then, I'm not sure. It's just showing connected devices. Ie., my TV and iPad are on the same network, and the Netflix app on the iPad recognizes the TV is connected, and I can view the content queued up on the iPad on the TV instead, and use the tablet to browse and play content.
I see. Makes sense.

Cheers. smile.gif
post #6960 of 12341
Watched some Samsara last night; the ST60 just keeps impressing me. I'm noticing the rainbow effect less and less lately, so that's a plus. I finally got some pretty stubborn IR too: left the bluray menu of the Campaign up for about 15-20 minutes while conversing, and the red Campaign logo stuck around for about 20-30 minutes while playing the movie before it faded away. No biggie. That was the first IR I've seen on the ST60. For some reason leaving a Youtube webpage up for the same amount of time leaves no IR, go figure.

Planning to use my free calibration from BB soon, figure I have nothing to lose. Just to confirm, if they calibrate, say, the Custom preset, and they do a crappy job, I can just revert the Custom settings back to default and it will be like it never happened, right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread