or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 233

post #6961 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Watched some Samsara last night; the ST60 just keeps impressing me. I'm noticing the rainbow effect less and less lately, so that's a plus. I finally got some pretty stubborn IR too: left the bluray menu of the Campaign up for about 15-20 minutes while conversing, and the red Campaign logo stuck around for about 20-30 minutes while playing the movie before it faded away. No biggie. That was the first IR I've seen on the ST60. For some reason leaving a Youtube webpage up for the same amount of time leaves no IR, go figure.

Planning to use my free calibration from BB soon, figure I have nothing to lose. Just to confirm, if they calibrate, say, the Custom preset, and they do a crappy job, I can just revert the Custom settings back to default and it will be like it never happened, right?

Good to hear that your IR issue went away. That is good news for sure. My 65ST60 is almost done with the slides and I am looking forward to viewing actual content. Yes, the factory default option should correct anything BB does if it looks bad because I'm sure they don't do into the service menu.
post #6962 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Good to hear that your IR issue went away. That is good news for sure. My 65ST60 is almost done with the slides and I am looking forward to viewing actual content. Yes, the factory default option should correct anything BB does if it looks bad because I'm sure they don't do into the service menu.

This is correct. I had my TV calibrated by Best Buy. They do not enter the service menu. They just adjust the settings in custom mode. But you won't want to adjust it back to factory settings. They will show you before and after graphs that will give you more info on how far off the settings were from the factory. I would be shocked if you want to go back, but either way. You always can.
post #6963 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

This is correct. I had my TV calibrated by Best Buy. They do not enter the service menu. They just adjust the settings in custom mode. But you won't want to adjust it back to factory settings. They will show you before and after graphs that will give you more info on how far off the settings were from the factory. I would be shocked if you want to go back, but either way. You always can.


That would depend on how competent the tech was that did the calibration.
post #6964 of 12341
Recently I decided to turn overscan off and pixel orbiter off while watching directv. Even though keeping overscan off leaves a sliver of black on the top/bottom and sometimes side. I was worried about image retention on that little sliver but figured it wasn't a big deal and I want the best image while watching the tv. Also figured to turn off pixel orbiter since it doesn't do much other than smear IR (big example on my samsung plasma) if you happen to get it.

Do most of you all keep overscan and pixel orbiter off or leave them on for regular cable/satellite?
post #6965 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

Recently I decided to turn overscan off and pixel orbiter off while watching directv. Even though keeping overscan off leaves a sliver of black on the top/bottom and sometimes side. I was worried about image retention on that little sliver but figured it wasn't a big deal and I want the best image while watching the tv. Also figured to turn off pixel orbiter since it doesn't do much other than smear IR (big example on my samsung plasma) if you happen to get it.

Do most of you all keep overscan and pixel orbiter off or leave them on for regular cable/satellite?

Both are off for every source/input and I keep them off as a rule, at least on this set. I ran pixel orbiter on an older plasma set, but haven't used it on the ST60.
post #6966 of 12341
I bought a 50" ST60 about 10 days ago from BB and noticed that besides the HDMI 2 input not working, the TV makes an annoying mechanical vibration/resonance kind of sound when I have volume above 25 and if the movie/show makes a loud sound or often when men talk.

I plan on exchanging the tv for another one from Best Buy but just want to make sure this mechanical problem is not typical of the ST60 models. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
post #6967 of 12341
The sound could be normal. There is a setting in the Sound section to change the placement of the TV - close to or far from the wall. It changes the characteristics of the bass/sound when farther from the wall (because there is less bouncing off the wall to reinforce bass). Try changing that setting and see if it's fixed.
post #6968 of 12341
I'll try changing the placement setting. Thanks!
post #6969 of 12341
I tried changing the placement setting in the sound menu, it made no difference, the mechanical vibration was still there.

I brought it back to BB tonight, of course the HDMI 2 port worked in the store, but the sound was even worse, the geek squad guy heard it. Transporting probably loosened up whatever is loose even more.

I exchanged it for a new ST60, got it home, set it up and checked everything. I'm happy to say everything works: all three HDMI ports are good and the sound is crackle free even when blasted. I'm running D-Nice's burn-in slides now.
post #6970 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedick View Post

I tried changing the placement setting in the sound menu, it made no difference, the mechanical vibration was still there.

I brought it back to BB tonight, of course the HDMI 2 port worked in the store, but the sound was even worse, the geek squad guy heard it. Transporting probably loosened up whatever is loose even more.

I exchanged it for a new ST60, got it home, set it up and checked everything. I'm happy to say everything works: all three HDMI ports are good and the sound is crackle free even when blasted. I'm running D-Nice's burn-in slides now.

That's great news! Glad it was just that unit and you were able to exchange hassle free.
post #6971 of 12341
Custon mode about ST60 ( BD ) RGB Gamma 2.4 :



wink.gif
post #6972 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Custon mode about ST60 ( BD ) RGB Gamma 2.4 :



wink.gif

DO you have a Darbee hooked up? Or the Sharpening turned up? It doesn't look bad I just don't recall that movie look THAT sharp to me. However I have not watched it on my ST60 yet.
post #6973 of 12341
No Darbee, S790 Super Reso at +2 ... wink.gif
post #6974 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

No Darbee, S790 Super Reso at +2 ... wink.gif

What does that mean?
Your picture is amazing even on my crappy computer monitor here @ workl!
post #6975 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

That would depend on how competent the tech was that did the calibration.
That is the real question......
post #6976 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

What does that mean?
Your picture is amazing even on my crappy computer monitor here @ workl!
Platinum Sony S790, super reso Sharpness setting is set to +2 ... cool.gif
post #6977 of 12341
Mode "Custom" on ST60 with S790 (RGB):

Custom S790:

Remastered texture: 1
Super Reso: +2
Softening: 1 (Working arrrière map)
Remastered Contrast: 0
Net Black: 0

FNR: of
BNR: of
MNR: of

Contrast: 0
Brightness: 0
Tint: 0
Saturation: 0

Custom ST60 :

Contrast: 69
Brightness: -1
Color: 52
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50 (the Source Sharp)
T ° K: Warm
Bright Colo.: of
S. Am: of
R. B. : of
R.de B. Mpeg: of

Advanced Settings:

Screen Brightness: Low
C. Adap. Gamma: of
Black Extension: of
G. Colo: Normal

W / B 2pts:

G.R: -1
G.v: 0
G.B: 1

L.R: 2
L.V. : 0
L.B: 2

Colo management:

Sat. R. : 5
Sat. V. : -2
Sat. B. : 5

gamma 2.4
RGB Hdmi: Auto

: Cool:
post #6978 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Mode "Custom" on ST60 with S790 (RGB):

Custom S790:

Remastered texture: 1
Super Reso: +2
Softening: 1 (Working arrrière map)
Remastered Contrast: 0
Net Black: 0

FNR: of
BNR: of
MNR: of

Contrast: 0
Brightness: 0
Tint: 0
Saturation: 0

Custom ST60 :

Contrast: 69
Brightness: -1
Color: 52
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50 (the Source Sharp)
T ° K: Warm
Bright Colo.: of
S. Am: of
R. B. : of
R.de B. Mpeg: of

Advanced Settings:

Screen Brightness: Low
C. Adap. Gamma: of
Black Extension: of
G. Colo: Normal

W / B 2pts:

G.R: -1
G.v: 0
G.B: 1

L.R: 2
L.V. : 0
L.B: 2

Colo management:

Sat. R. : 5
Sat. V. : -2
Sat. B. : 5

gamma 2.4
RGB Hdmi: Auto

: Cool:


Thank you for the S790 clarification & your personal settings!
post #6979 of 12341
"Cool" color temp is ick (to most people on these forums). Be sure to set the brightness (black level) setting for your own personal device, as even 1-2 notches in the wrong direction can crush the blacks or mean you have no blacks at all.
post #6980 of 12341
I'm trying to decide which device would be better to scale my cable tv, my ST60 or receiver. I have a Denon AVR-2113CI, and a Tivo box feeding the native 720p or 1080i depending on the channel. Until now I've been leaving the signal pure, and letting the ST60 do the scaling to 1080p. I'm wondering if my Denon 2113CI would be better at handling the scaling, and just set it to output 1080p to the ST60. I'm not sure which would handling the scaling better. Anyone know?
post #6981 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I'm trying to decide which device would be better to scale my cable tv, my ST60 or receiver. I have a Denon AVR-2113CI, and a Tivo box feeding the native 720p or 1080i depending on the channel. Until now I've been leaving the signal pure, and letting the ST60 do the scaling to 1080p. I'm wondering if my Denon 2113CI would be better at handling the scaling, and just set it to output 1080p to the ST60. I'm not sure which would handling the scaling better. Anyone know?

What chip does your Denon have ?

HQV Vida would be good..
post #6982 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

What chip does your Denon have ?

HQV Vida would be good..

I did some searching, but couldn't really find that info, and wouldn't know what I was looking at if I did. Also, I'm running the Tivo over Component to the receiver, then having the receiver convert it to HDMI to the TV. The HDMI output on my Tivo is being sent to the bedroom.
post #6983 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I'm trying to decide which device would be better to scale my cable tv, my ST60 or receiver. I have a Denon AVR-2113CI, and a Tivo box feeding the native 720p or 1080i depending on the channel. Until now I've been leaving the signal pure, and letting the ST60 do the scaling to 1080p. I'm wondering if my Denon 2113CI would be better at handling the scaling, and just set it to output 1080p to the ST60. I'm not sure which would handling the scaling better. Anyone know?

Why don't you set the receiver to do the scaling and decide for yourself? This has been discussed many times in multiple threads, most like to use their receiver if it has a good up scaling chip.
post #6984 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Why don't you set the receiver to do the scaling and decide for yourself? This has been discussed many times in multiple threads, most like to use their receiver if it has a good up scaling chip.

I did, and honestly can't tell the difference. I just like knowing I'm using the best option, even if it really makes no difference in the end. Silly, I know, but then that's to be expected here at AVS.
post #6985 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I did, and honestly can't tell the difference. I just like knowing I'm using the best option, even if it really makes no difference in the end. Silly, I know, but then that's to be expected here at AVS.

Either your settings are wrong in your receiver or you just don't have a good up scaling chip.
In my Onkyo you definitely can tell a difference when set to custom 1080p or 1080p Cinema in HD channels.
post #6986 of 12341
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me for asking a question on an issue that I'm sure has already been discussed at length. I plan on scaling back my 7.1/AVR system and my aging Pioneer Elite plasma for a Yamaha YSP 3300 sound bar/ST50. Having read several reviews and contacting Panasonic support, I am led to believe that I cannot get 5.1 from the tv/ cable box combo to the 3300 and can only get stereo. Can anyone tell me if there is a work around to overcome this? Can the HDMI ARC on both units provide this or would coming from an HDMI on the cable box to the 3300 and then to the tv give me 5.1? I can't see the point to buying the 3300 if all I can get is stereo from the tv. I know that I'll be able to get 5.1 from my BD player. Any assistance would be appreciated.
post #6987 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

How can I achieve 1:1 pixel mapping on my st60 in Windows 7?

In Windows I've set my screen resolution to 1920x1080, but that leaves the screen surrounded by black bars at the Just screen format zoom mode. I tried all other modes to but this was the closest I could get to filling the screen.

My HTPC has an ATI Radeon HD 3200.

I have a full version of PowerStrip but don't know what timings to use to get 1:1 pixel mapping.
Ahh - I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. I believe the answer lies in your ATI video adjustments. They have a ZOOM setting buried in there somewhere that sometimes defaults to a shrunken picture on external displays. Make sure your driver for ATI is updated. Some of the old ones would not allow you to change the zoom settings.
Edited by billdag - 7/18/13 at 10:44pm
post #6988 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Custon mode about ST60 ( BD ) RGB Gamma 2.4 :



wink.gif


Wow! That is a great picture. The ST60 series seems to be an awesome tv.
post #6989 of 12341
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I'm trying to decide which device would be better to scale my cable tv, my ST60 or receiver. I have a Denon AVR-2113CI, and a Tivo box feeding the native 720p or 1080i depending on the channel. Until now I've been leaving the signal pure, and letting the ST60 do the scaling to 1080p. I'm wondering if my Denon 2113CI would be better at handling the scaling, and just set it to output 1080p to the ST60. I'm not sure which would handling the scaling better. Anyone know?

I use my TiVo to output everything to 1080i and it works great!
post #6990 of 12341
I'm suddenly having a problem with Netflix on this tv. Netflix works on all my other devices, and everything else (including Amazon streaming, Hulu, etc.) works fine on the tv, but when I try to open Netflix on the tv, it just thinks for a while and says "Unable to connect to Netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp" but nothing there helps.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread