or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 254

post #7591 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit26.2 View Post

In the Pro Settings submenu: Panel Brightness, C-net suggests Low. Hometheater.com suggests Mid for 2D, and High for 3D.

Is there a consensus in this forum regarding the Panel Brightness setting?
In 2d, it can be calibrated to low or mid. In 3d I found that high crushed the mid tones too much & it didn't increase contrast, it just pumped up the gamma, so I left it at mid.
post #7592 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Thanks for the quick response. What settings would you (or anyone) recommend OOB for optimal picture and brightness without a professional calibration?

I've been using the cnet review settings and have been happy with that so far a few weeks in. Many here use D-nice's settings at the start of the thread below. I should probably try his settings out soon.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread
post #7593 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post

Painfully bright? Of course you could tune the LED down, which might also improve blacks. I had my heart set on a 65ST60 but finances are causing me to back off. What comparable LED65 would others consider?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Very unlikely you will find a decent 65" LED for significantly less.
post #7594 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post

Painfully bright? Of course you could tune the LED down, which might also improve blacks. I had my heart set on a 65ST60 but finances are causing me to back off. What comparable LED65 would others consider?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought for my Son-inlaw a LG 60PN5700 Smart Plasma at Micro Center for $599. It has many features superior to my Pansonic. Picture wise, I can't tell the difference. The LG however has a screen that is much more reflective. If your room is not too bright, I highly recommend the LG. For the price there is no way you could beat it.
post #7595 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranger View Post

I just bought for my Son-inlaw a LG 60PN5700 Smart Plasma at Micro Center for $599. It has many features superior to my Pansonic. Picture wise, I can't tell the difference. The LG however has a screen that is much more reflective. If your room is not too bright, I highly recommend the LG. For the price there is no way you could beat it.

Nice for you to buy your son in law a tv, he is very lucky. For the price, yeah that's cheap for a 60" but as far as pic quality goes, it's not even in the same league as the ST60. What many features are you speaking off?
post #7596 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

I've been using the cnet review settings and have been happy with that so far a few weeks in. Many here use D-nice's settings at the start of the thread below. I should probably try his settings out soon.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

Checked out his settings and he mentions not to do them unless you did the preparation slides for at least 100 hours. He really seems to stress it. Would it be dangerous to the screen to apply these settings without doing the 100 hours of slides, or would you just not get the same results? I ask because I don't think I have the patience to do the 100 hours. Thanks again!
post #7597 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

So I've narrowed my purchase decision between the 60" ST60 and the 60" Samsung 8500. I am aware of the roughly $1,000 price difference between the two and that certainly is a factor. My only concern with the ST60 is that the picture may be to dim and coming from an LCD it may take some getting used to. A lot of reviews point out how the 8500 is comparable to LCD's in terms of brightness. I remember one reviewer on amazon pointing out that the only thing that takes getting used to on the ST60 is that sports seem a little dim. I guess he's comparing to an LCD.
So my question would be to owners of the ST60 is...do you ever feel, when viewing the ST60 that the picture is slightly dim and can use some "punch" (particularly when viewing sports) or do you feel it's just right and accurate? Thanks a lot!

I really never feel that my 60"ST is not bright enough. The only time I wish for maybe a tad more is with certain 3D content.

I don't even jack up contrast that high either. Usually have it at 79/80.
post #7598 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Checked out his settings and he mentions not to do them unless you did the preparation slides for at least 100 hours. He really seems to stress it. Would it be dangerous to the screen to apply these settings without doing the 100 hours of slides, or would you just not get the same results? I ask because I don't think I have the patience to do the 100 hours. Thanks again!
No danger at all. You just wouldnt get the same results.
post #7599 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Checked out his settings and he mentions not to do them unless you did the preparation slides for at least 100 hours. He really seems to stress it. Would it be dangerous to the screen to apply these settings without doing the 100 hours of slides, or would you just not get the same results? I ask because I don't think I have the patience to do the 100 hours. Thanks again!

Why would it be dangerous? You are just applying tv settings, as for results, it is better to follow instructions but you could just age the panel by varying your content full screen. You do not need to do slides, some people just prefer doing it.
post #7600 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Why would it be dangerous? You are just applying tv settings, as for results, it is better to follow instructions but you could just age the panel by varying your content full screen. You do not need to do slides, some people just prefer doing it.

Yea I figured it wouldn't be dangerous to the screen. I guess I was just concerned as to why he stressed the 100 hours of slides first. I know I wont do the 100 hours of slides but I will make sure to vary content initially with programs without static images like HBOHD, Netflix etc. Thanks to all for answering my concerns. I am super excited to get this TV in my home!
post #7601 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Nice for you to buy your son in law a tv, he is very lucky. For the price, yeah that's cheap for a 60" but as far as pic quality goes, it's not even in the same league as the ST60. What many features are you speaking off?

In a dimly lit room, it is every bit as good picture quality wise, as near as I can tell. It supports MHL. It will read unpowered USB drives. It reads drives larger than 2TB.
post #7602 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

In 2d, it can be calibrated to low or mid. In 3d I found that high crushed the mid tones too much & it didn't increase contrast, it just pumped up the gamma, so I left it at mid.

Yeah, I've found that in 3D mode, you only really need to boost the brightness a bit (it varies for me anywhere between 3-7) and move the color intensity up a couple of notches to compensate for color-muting effect of the dark glasses. I'm sure other picture controls come into play but I can't really speak to them because, who calibrates in 3D? Are there even test patterns for that?
post #7603 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Zeus View Post

Yeah, I've found that in 3D mode, you only really need to boost the brightness a bit (it varies for me anywhere between 3-7) and move the color intensity up a couple of notches to compensate for color-muting effect of the dark glasses. I'm sure other picture controls come into play but I can't really speak to them because, who calibrates in 3D? Are there even test patterns for that?

I believe you just use the same patterns but put the lens of the 3D glasses between the colorimeter and the TV screen.
post #7604 of 12345
spears and muncil's version 2 test disc has 3D test patterns.
post #7605 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Checked out his settings and he mentions not to do them unless you did the preparation slides for at least 100 hours. He really seems to stress it. Would it be dangerous to the screen to apply these settings without doing the 100 hours of slides, or would you just not get the same results? I ask because I don't think I have the patience to do the 100 hours. Thanks again!
No danger at all. You just wouldnt get the same results.
+1 smile.gif

But if your results aren't good it would be polite to avoid complaining about D-Nice's settings. wink.gif
post #7606 of 12345
Had the TV for about a month now, and have noticed a dark purple/green tiny on people's faces at times. This happens a lot during sudden movements or when the camera pans.

Any idea what this could be?

I took a few photos with my iPhone. The quality is terrible but you get a general idea of what it's like. Like i said it's normally around the face.



post #7607 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranger View Post

In a dimly lit room, it is every bit as good picture quality wise, as near as I can tell. It supports MHL. It will read unpowered USB drives. It reads drives larger than 2TB.

Additionally, and this one takes the cake: Right now he is streaming thru DLNA from his computer a 1080p MKV I sent him yesterday. Now if LG can do that why can't my Panasonic?
post #7608 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by malolo View Post

Received my 50st60 a couple days ago (about 60 hours into slides). Cant comment much on PQ yet, but I must say I was a bit anxious about all the reports of buzzing in these PDPs. So far, no matter how hard I try, I cannot hear any buzz what-so-ever. Am I just fortunate, or did I attend a few too many rock concerts? This is my second Panny plasma and the first was dead silent as well. I do utilize a lower-end Panamax unit for surge protection which also purports to "condition" AC supply, so maybe that helps as well.

I had quite a bit of buzzing when running slides. And when I'm on the TV's home screen, I can hear buzzing from 10 feet away in a quiet room. But with normal content, I haven't heard a peep. I'm sure with bright screens where there is little sound I'd probably hear buzzing, but honestly, I probably wouldn't notice it.
post #7609 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranger View Post

Additionally, and this one takes the cake: Right now he is streaming thru DLNA from his computer a 1080p MKV I sent him yesterday. Now if LG can do that why can't my Panasonic?

Yes, Korean electronics often have more features but you pay for that in reliability. Korean electronics have never been and probably never will be as reliable as Japanese electronics. They rarely perform as well either.
post #7610 of 12345
I just ordered a TC-P55ST60 and will be receiving it this Friday. This will be my first plasma and I'm unsure if it's necessary to use break in slides or should I just use it normally? Also, how many hours should I wait before calibrating it and what are some recommended settings? I'll be watching TV/Movies 70% of the time and the remainder will be gaming. Please be gentle as this is my first post.
post #7611 of 12345
After months of lurking on AVS, I finally decided on the ST60 series plasma. No other TV seems to come close in terms of value and performance.

My first question to you all isn't necessarily ST60 specific, but I thought I'd throw it out there as I figure I'll be posting on this thread quite a bit.

My viewing distance is going to be approximately 13.5 feet. (The room is 15 feet wide, I'm wall mounting the TV and I figure my head will be about 18 inches from the opposite wall).

Should I get the 60 or 65 inch? While I realize this is an individual issue, I was hoping for opinions on the matter. I understand conventional wisdom says bigger is better. But the 65 inch is nearly $1000 more than the 60 inch. That seems insane to me for an extra 5 inches. The reason I'm torn is I feel my viewing distance is on the precipice of being too far away in the first place.

Is 5 inches worth $1000? For people that have 60 or 65 inch, what are you viewing distances?
post #7612 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinitio View Post

My viewing distance is going to be approximately 13.5 feet. (The room is 15 feet wide, I'm wall mounting the TV and I figure my head will be about 18 inches from the opposite wall).

Should I get the 60 or 65 inch? While I realize this is an individual issue, I was hoping for opinions on the matter. I understand conventional wisdom says bigger is better. But the 65 inch is nearly $1000 more than the 60 inch. That seems insane to me for an extra 5 inches. The reason I'm torn is I feel my viewing distance is on the precipice of being too far away in the first place.

Is 5 inches worth $1000? For people that have 60 or 65 inch, what are you viewing distances?

I have the 60 inch. When I set at my desk, I am 13 feet away; I believe a 65 would be better. When I decide to watch a movie I move to my chair which is 9 feet away; and it is perfect. Only you can say if it is worth the extra money. Of course, putting it into perspective; I remember sitting 13 feet away from a 25 inch and was happier than a pig in mud. I guess things change.
post #7613 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranger View Post

I have the 60 inch. When I set at my desk, I am 13 feet away; I believe a 65 would be better. When I decide to watch a movie I move to my chair which is 9 feet away; and it is perfect. Only you can say if it is worth the extra money. Of course, putting it into perspective; I remember sitting 13 feet away from a 25 inch and was happier than a pig in mud. I guess things change.

Thanks for the quick reply. I find it interesting you feel the need to move the chair up 4 feet. I'm guessing that even with the 65 you might still feel the need to move the chair up a bit.

I've pasted the difference of the two below. Sheesh, just doesn't seem like a lot of real estate for the increased price. I'm just really confused as to why bumping up 5 inches costs so much when its a 60 vs 65, but not so when its like a 55 to 60. Maybe because its the biggest model and people will pay for the biggest?

post #7614 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinitio View Post

After months of lurking on AVS, I finally decided on the ST60 series plasma. No other TV seems to come close in terms of value and performance.

My first question to you all isn't necessarily ST60 specific, but I thought I'd throw it out there as I figure I'll be posting on this thread quite a bit.

My viewing distance is going to be approximately 13.5 feet. (The room is 15 feet wide, I'm wall mounting the TV and I figure my head will be about 18 inches from the opposite wall).

Should I get the 60 or 65 inch? While I realize this is an individual issue, I was hoping for opinions on the matter. I understand conventional wisdom says bigger is better. But the 65 inch is nearly $1000 more than the 60 inch. That seems insane to me for an extra 5 inches. The reason I'm torn is I feel my viewing distance is on the precipice of being too far away in the first place.

Is 5 inches worth $1000? For people that have 60 or 65 inch, what are you viewing distances?

In my opinion, I think that even if you get a 65", 13.5 feet will still be too far away. I have a 60" and sit 6ft away. Too me it's perfect. Definitely gives it the theater feel that I want. I personally wouldn't spend an extra grand for 5 inches when it won't give you much more of a wow factor from that distance. Plus there's a reason the 60ST60's are on backorder and the 65ST60's aren't.
Edited by hoosierdaddie - 8/15/13 at 12:08am
post #7615 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

Had the TV for about a month now, and have noticed a dark purple/green tiny on people's faces at times. This happens a lot during sudden movements or when the camera pans.

Any idea what this could be?

I took a few photos with my iPhone. The quality is terrible but you get a general idea of what it's like. Like i said it's normally around the face.




Do you have the motion smoother on or anything? What are your main picture settings?
post #7616 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

I've been using the cnet review settings and have been happy with that so far a few weeks in. Many here use D-nice's settings at the start of the thread below. I should probably try his settings out soon.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

All of the detailed gamma, white balance, and color settings are irrelevant for your particular TV. All of the displays will vary a lot, and by plugging in any other set of advanced settings, you're either going to get worse picture quality or just as far from "accurate" as the default settings are. And the panels don't really settle in until about 300 hours of on-time.


These are the only ones I would suggest using/changing:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 79~80
Brightness: 0 (better to set this for your own TV, with something like the Disney WoW disc)
Color: 47~50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0~25
Color Temp: Warm2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off


Pro Settings
Panel Brightness: Low~Mid
AGC: 0
Black Extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B Detail Adjustment
-> Leave at default

(W/B) More Detail Adjustment
-> Leave at default

Color Detail Adjustment
-> Leave at default

Gamma Detail Adjustment
Gamma: 2.4

(Gamma) More Detail Adjustment
-> Leave at default

Black Level: Light
post #7617 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Thanks for the quick response. What settings would you (or anyone) recommend OOB for optimal picture and brightness without a professional calibration?

See the post directly above this for baseline settings for out of the box.
post #7618 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

Had the TV for about a month now, and have noticed a dark purple/green tiny on people's faces at times. This happens a lot during sudden movements or when the camera pans.

Any idea what this could be?

I took a few photos with my iPhone. The quality is terrible but you get a general idea of what it's like. Like i said it's normally around the face.




Sounds like what you are seeing is phosphor trailing. It is a common trait of plasma's. I believe it has something to do with some residule charge left in the phosphors. When things move on screen it becomes noticeable.

Maybe you are sensiive to it. Some people don't see it at all. If I look for it I will see it on occassion but if I don't go looking for it it never bothers me. I suggest you try ignoring it but sometimes once you see something like this you can't un-see it.
post #7619 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Do you have the motion smoother on or anything? What are your main picture settings?

I have motion smoother set to Min. I turned it off last night to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

I;m using these settings at the moment:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1785807-panasonic-tx-p42st60b-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html

Was planning to use Cadett's after 100 hours. I'm currently on 70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Sounds like what you are seeing is phosphor trailing. It is a common trait of plasma's. I believe it has something to do with some residule charge left in the phosphors. When things move on screen it becomes noticeable.

Maybe you are sensiive to it. Some people don't see it at all. If I look for it I will see it on occassion but if I don't go looking for it it never bothers me. I suggest you try ignoring it but sometimes once you see something like this you can't un-see it.

Cheers for the reply.
post #7620 of 12345
Picture Settings reset question:

If we reset to default any of our overarching Picture settings (Custom, Cinema, etc.) - does it just do it for that particular set or does it reset all of the Picture Sets at once?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread