or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 307

post #9181 of 12345
I asked in the comparison thread, but

How does this display compare to the Samsung PN51D7000, from 2011?
It was rated highly, that year. I do understand the ST60 is CNET's gem.
I currently use that display in the HT and need a living room display.
post #9182 of 12345
Guys, can this TV do PIP (Picture in Picture) ?

I can't find the control, it's not a feature i use much.
post #9183 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJeff View Post

Thanks again for all the suggestions and the help.

BTW-I am new to this forum and have NEVER posted or replied here and am NOT a spammer.

As suggested, I checked the picture by using a BD player connected directly and also the HR34 connected directly using new HDMI cables bypassing the AV receiver. No difference from going though the AV and little or no difference between the HR34 and the BD and what difference there was I would attribute to 1080P coming out of the BD vs. 720P or 1080i out of the DirecTV box.

To be candid, the quality seems to be improving as the hours clock using the D-Nice slides...or maybe it's just me.

I have had plasma sets for the past 8 years in town and at the lake. This set replaced an 8 year old 50" Panasonic  and I still have to say that the picture quality is not even at the level of that older unit. I expected to be at least a little impressed.

I do a factory reset and redo the D-Nice settings each time and the room is under the same light conditions (night).  I understand that "quality" is subjective, however, this is not nuanced. My eyes hurt after watching for a couple of hours tonight.  Next step will be using the DVE HD calibration disk and hope for the best.

I am really hoping that the perceived improvement continues but am beginning to think that either the unit is flawed or that it just does not live up to all the hype.
there might be some issues on the set, this TV is better than most of the TV sold in last 10 years (except Kuro).
post #9184 of 12345
My Search-Fu seems to be failing me today. I just ordered the 60ST60 and am looking at getting a new set up disc, is there a consensus on which is better: Spears and Munsil, Disney's WOW, or DVE?

A pro calibration is just not in the cards for the foreseeable future and I'd like to get this dialed in nicely. Thanks in advance.
post #9185 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

My Search-Fu seems to be failing me today. I just ordered the 60ST60 and am looking at getting a new set up disc, is there a consensus on which is better: Spears and Munsil, Disney's WOW, or DVE?

A pro calibration is just not in the cards for the foreseeable future and I'd like to get this dialed in nicely. Thanks in advance.

Disney's WoW is a popular choice and is pretty straightforward. Spears and Munsil, from what I've heard is a bit more in depth and may offer some more advanced settings to tweak. Both are well regarded however.

My question - If I put in settings in cinema mode theyw ill stick? I may do that then as I have D-Nice's on custom and if I try CNETs and don't like it, I don't want to put the settings back in all over again.
post #9186 of 12345

@Lethean: I believe you can copy settings from input to input?!

post #9187 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

I asked in the comparison thread, but

How does this display compare to the Samsung PN51D7000, from 2011?
It was rated highly, that year. I do understand the ST60 is CNET's gem.
I currently use that display in the HT and need a living room display.

It is far better than that model. Not only do you have a year of R and D to make the set better, Panasonic's low to mid line up if far better than Samsung's low to mid line.
post #9188 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post

Guys, can this TV do PIP (Picture in Picture) ?

I can't find the control, it's not a feature i use much.

Sorry, no PIP in these tv's.
post #9189 of 12345
Do folks still use PIP, thought that was a thing of the past?
post #9190 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

Do folks still use PIP, thought that was a thing of the past?

Hah, I wonder why that ever went by the wayside? Seemed like it was almost standard at one point.

Seemed like it could be useful for Sunday football, but personally I only care about one team, and they are getting the entire screen. tongue.gif
post #9191 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinitio View Post

Hah, I wonder why that ever went by the wayside? Seemed like it was almost standard at one point.

Seemed like it could be useful for Sunday football, but personally I only care about one team, and they are getting the entire screen. tongue.gif

DirecTV tongue.gif
post #9192 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

DirecTV tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinitio View Post

Hah, I wonder why that ever went by the wayside? Seemed like it was almost standard at one point.

Seemed like it could be useful for Sunday football, but personally I only care about one team, and they are getting the entire screen. tongue.gif

The new DirecTv Genie DVR to be precise.
post #9193 of 12345
My Time Warner Cable box has PIP. I would guess that most DVRs with 2 tuners have PIP.
post #9194 of 12345
Just wanted to jump in on this thread.

I have been reading, (well not all 300 plus pages mind you) and also spending this week doing ALOT of research since I read about Panasonic discontinuing plasma production.

Guess you could call use "old school" as we are still CRT folks.
We are seriously considering purchasing the 50" version of this set this weekend. This would be our first plasma. We have a Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV (CRT) that we love and it's OTA HD reception was fantastic until Comcast ended that.

We have said for years that if something happened to this set we would replace it with a plasma as I have always read that plasma has the closest PQ to CRT (black levels etc)

We had no plans to buy a tv until needed, until we found out about the demise of Panasonic plasmas.

Now many will no doubt think it is crazy but we have no intention of getting rid of the Sony, it is 200 lbs of nice PQ and it will continue to be our main set for regular tv viewing. Our plan is to use the plasma for dvds and blu-rays. I also have Amazon Prime.

The Sony is now 7 years old, I know someday it will need repair and I have a hunch parts will be hard to get if not impossible. Of course the demise of Panasonics plasmas couldn't come at a worse time, property tax bills will be in the mail this month. However it looks like this will be the only opportunity to get a tv of this quality. It's a gamble, the Sony may go 1 year, 2 years or crap out next week. I would hate to lose it and find our only replacement choice an LED. wink.gif
post #9195 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

We have a Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV (CRT) that we love
Awesome set. Great to hear one of those is still alive and well.
post #9196 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Just wanted to jump in on this thread.

I have been reading, (well not all 300 plus pages mind you) and also spending this week doing ALOT of research since I read about Panasonic discontinuing plasma production.

Guess you could call use "old school" as we are still CRT folks.
We are seriously considering purchasing the 50" version of this set this weekend. This would be our first plasma. We have a Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV (CRT) that we love and it's OTA HD reception was fantastic until Comcast ended that.

We have said for years that if something happened to this set we would replace it with a plasma as I have always read that plasma has the closest PQ to CRT (black levels etc)

We had no plans to buy a tv until needed, until we found out about the demise of Panasonic plasmas.

Now many will no doubt think it is crazy but we have no intention of getting rid of the Sony, it is 200 lbs of nice PQ and it will continue to be our main set for regular tv viewing. Our plan is to use the plasma for dvds and blu-rays. I also have Amazon Prime.

The Sony is now 7 years old, I know someday it will need repair and I have a hunch parts will be hard to get if not impossible. Of course the demise of Panasonics plasmas couldn't come at a worse time, property tax bills will be in the mail this month. However it looks like this will be the only opportunity to get a tv of this quality. It's a gamble, the Sony may go 1 year, 2 years or crap out next week. I would hate to lose it and find our only replacement choice an LED. wink.gif

I had that TV before going to plasma. Yes, the PQ on that is great but NO WAY would I go back to all those CRT flaws that really show on a high quality TV. That TV drove me nuts with convergence, geometry, linearity, etc. If you don't see all those CRT flaws, don't EVER look for them. I never looked back after going to plasma.
post #9197 of 12345
@rushfan2112:

If you can swing it, I say jump on board the ST60 bandwagon. Somehow I doubt your CRT will continue to get much viewing after bring in your panny plasma...

I made the move for similar reasons. My old set had issues with my HTPC so I was looking around, but when I caught wind of the demise of Panasonic Plasma sets, I placed the order immediately. I'm not a big LED fan. At least, not with the current mid level consumer technology.

Question for you: What did you mean about Comcast ending your OTA reception? I'm having trouble connecting the dots. Just curious.

Best wishes to you on you decision!
post #9198 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

@rushfan2112:



Question for you: What did you mean about Comcast ending your OTA reception? I'm having trouble connecting the dots. Just curious.

I have the same question, how can anyone but the provider stop OTA
post #9199 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

@rushfan2112:

If you can swing it, I say jump on board the ST60 bandwagon. Somehow I doubt your CRT will continue to get much viewing after bring in your panny plasma...
+ 1 great advise, you could not be more correct.........
post #9200 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Guess you could call use "old school" as we are still CRT folks.
We are seriously considering purchasing the 50" version of this set this weekend. This would be our first plasma. We have a Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV (CRT) that we love and it's OTA HD reception was fantastic until Comcast ended that. We have said for years that if something happened to this set we would replace it with a plasma as I have always read that plasma has the closest PQ to CRT (black levels etc)

We had no plans to buy a tv until needed, until we found out about the demise of Panasonic plasmas.

The Sony is now 7 years old, I know someday it will need repair and I have a hunch parts will be hard to get if not impossible. Of course the demise of Panasonics plasmas couldn't come at a worse time, property tax bills will be in the mail this month. However it looks like this will be the only opportunity to get a tv of this quality. It's a gamble, the Sony may go 1 year, 2 years or crap out next week. I would hate to lose it and find our only replacement choice an LED. wink.gif

The ST60 is probably the best replacement you'll ever find for your 34XBR970 and i betch dollars to donuts that once you set that ST60 up in your home, you'll end up using it as your primary display. Back in 2005 when i got my first Plasma to replace my excellent Panny CRT HD Tube TV it took some getting used to - the screen was a lot larger but the Plasma actually made the room feel larger since it's flatter profile opened up the room a bit.

If you miss this last opportunity to buy an ST60 before they disappear forever, you won't find a better TV next year except for maybe a Samsung flagship Plasma at probably twice the price, otherwise you're left with LCD TVs and even the best ones don't look as good as the ST60.
post #9201 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Just wanted to jump in on this thread.

I have been reading, (well not all 300 plus pages mind you) and also spending this week doing ALOT of research since I read about Panasonic discontinuing plasma production.

Guess you could call use "old school" as we are still CRT folks.
We are seriously considering purchasing the 50" version of this set this weekend. This would be our first plasma. We have a Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV (CRT) that we love and it's OTA HD reception was fantastic until Comcast ended that.

We have said for years that if something happened to this set we would replace it with a plasma as I have always read that plasma has the closest PQ to CRT (black levels etc)

We had no plans to buy a tv until needed, until we found out about the demise of Panasonic plasmas.
wink.gif

I would suggest the 60" version. Much more bang for the buck. It will be a shock, at first, jumping from 34" to even 50". It was for us for 7+ years of having a 50" - going to the 60" was a delightful shock for a while. Now, we couldn't imagine going backwards.

" Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon" you'd regret not going for the 60".
Edited by snidely - 11/15/13 at 10:56am
post #9202 of 12345
What I mean about the OTA HD is that since the Sony has the built in QAM as opposed to our other really old CRT's (and gentleman I do mean old, I still have my parents 1950's B&W RCA in a closet biggrin.gif ) hubby and I would watch the LOCAL channels in HD even though we have a cable box. I am probably not explaining this correctly, I am not so good at all the technical terms so forgive me please.

Last year Comcast sent a letter announcing they were going to scramble the HD signal that folks were getting on their TV's WITHOUT using the box. I should have made that clear
Maybe that is how I confused you.
I do have a small tv in the kitchen with a digital to analog box and an antenna, it gets two local channels without Comcast. It is fine for what it is.

But even putting an antenna on our roof for the Sony would do no good as we live down in a hole you might say, surrounded by hills. I have even checked with local tv antenna installers about our location and it is pretty much the same answer. We are still going to only receive the two local stations, one an ABC affiliate and the other is owned by the same station and is ME-TV.

I hope I have explained my original comment a little better
post #9203 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I had that TV before going to plasma. Yes, the PQ on that is great but NO WAY would I go back to all those CRT flaws that really show on a high quality TV. That TV drove me nuts with convergence, geometry, linearity, etc. If you don't see all those CRT flaws, don't EVER look for them. I never looked back after going to plasma.

sami yes I recall reading all through the CRT threads about issues when we first bought this tv in 2007. That is the forum that I "hung around in" and still check in once in awhile smile.gif
Anyways, we got a very good set, NO issues that you are speaking of. OK I'm not an expert but the picture is crisp and clear when watching a blu-ray and looks great with SD content as well. And I know what crappy looks like, my stepdad has a Phillips LCD and the dvd's may look ok but regular tv viewing??? tongue.gif

We like the old Sony, it has served us well and will continue to do so. And I will add it is an excellent tv for gaming.
post #9204 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I would suggest the 60" version. Much more bang for the buck. It will be a shock, at first, jumping from 34" to even 50". It was for us for years of a 50" going to the 60". " Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon" you'd regret not going for the 60".

I've been watching a 50" since 2008, I've never regretted it or wished for a 60".
post #9205 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I've been watching a 50" since 2008, I've never regretted it or wished for a 60".
Prices are much cheaper now than in 2008. I'd recommend the biggest panel your wallet and space can afford. I read somewhere, "TVs are like Tshirts, they tend to shrink over time." I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.
post #9206 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Prices are much cheaper now than in 2008.

So true. The first plasmas I looked at, in 1998 or so, were the 42" Phillips, at ~$15k. The first plasma I purchased was a Vizio 50" in 2005 for ~$2,800. That one buzzed like a hive of bee's when I moved to 6,000'+ altitude and I replaced it with a 50" Sammie in 2007 for ~$2,000. A current ST60 50" can be had for ~$900 easily today, and the 60" for not much more. Crazy how far/fast the prices have come down over the last few years.
post #9207 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Prices are much cheaper now than in 2008. I'd recommend the biggest panel your wallet and space can afford. I read somewhere, "TVs are like Tshirts, they tend to shrink over time." I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

I disagree. 50" is fine and has been for 5 1/2 years. I own a 50" ST60 and am about to buy another one any day now. You lose picture quality on anything other than Blu-rays with a larger TV. That's not a sacrifice I'm going to make when a 50" is fine.
post #9208 of 12345
I'm considering a p60st60.

It gets rav reviews one minute

Then I hear horror stories about image retention, burn in, and the audio out to an amp has 3 second lag via the optical.

What is the real story!? Would the real p60st 60 please stand up?
post #9209 of 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I disagree. 50" is fine and has been for 5 1/2 years. I own a 50" ST60 and am about to buy another one any day now. You lose picture quality on anything other than Blu-rays with a larger TV. That's not a sacrifice I'm going to make when a 50" is fine.
That's a minority view around these parts, and one with which I can't personally agree. I mostly watch (almost exclusively, in fact), high def content now anyway.
post #9210 of 12345
Could anyone provide input as to how the Samsung PN64F8500 64-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV compares to the Panasonic TC-65ST60?
Thanks,
Steve
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread