or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 324

post #9691 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post

Hey guys - sorry for the novice question here, but I'm buying the TC-P55ST60 today from Amazon and am just wondering about the warranties.

A) Should I get one? (I think this is obviously yes...)

B) Are there any tangible differences between the 4-year and the 5-year from Amazon (other than the price and the extra year, of course)?


Just want to make sure my bases are covered. I have one Pansonic TV (TC-P42G25) from about three years ago that I love but I didn't get a warranty when I bought that one. So just checking. Thanks!

There's no difference in coverage between warranties. They may be on sale today only for BF, the $900-$1000 warranties are.
post #9692 of 12393
Have a 50ST60 and I do not know how to tell if 1080i is being delivered via U Verse? What can I do before i "throw rocks at ATT/U Verse? Using DNice after brk-in settings; Really want to get this resolved.

Are all HDMI cables created equal[maybe a problem]? .... ATT during installation tried to convince me to use component vs HDMI. please point me in the right direction would like to think it is set-top box/cable feed..... TY
post #9693 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannov View Post

Have a 50ST60 and I do not know how to tell if 1080i is being delivered via U Verse? What can I do before i "throw rocks at ATT/U Verse? Using DNice after brk-in settings; Really want to get this resolved.

Are all HDMI cables created equal[maybe a problem]? .... ATT during installation tried to convince me to use component vs HDMI. please point me in the right direction would like to think it is set-top box/cable feed..... TY

The "info" key on the remote will give you the source resolution. HDMI is generally prefered over component.
post #9694 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

This is flat out wrong you can't interchange the warranties. Read The fine print

For example amazon square trade warranty specifically states that the purchase needs to be made at Amazon.com
I bought furniture extended warranty's on Amazon, as I could not believe what was covered, ACCIDENTS. Warrentech warranties say the same thing, "furniture must be bought on Amazon", but work on all purchases, I called Warrentech to make sure, even if not bought on Amazon the warranties apply. They are so cheap, they are flat out worth it on Furniture. ( We have dogs. )
post #9695 of 12393
Browser, how do you get full screen?? I get the top menu bar, but can't get rid of it.

Also, when Flash is needed, it says it has it but is disabled, how do I enable it?
post #9696 of 12393
Just noticed today (after rewiring my home theater) that my black levels seem to have risen. Might just be a fluke, but what used to be a solid black bars while watching blu-ray widescreen, have now turned into a really dark gray. Is there anything I should troubleshoot? This is very disturbing as I have always had amazing black levels using D-Nice, Cnet, and Cadetts settings...
post #9697 of 12393
Disregard my last message. My blu-ray player felt the need to change the color output settings on it's own. Changed back to YCbCr 4:4:4. Problem solved.... Thank god. Haha.
post #9698 of 12393
I gotta give a plug to Panny, the app section of this panel is awesome. What a jump up from my current player I've been using for streaming, this is just much more responsive, the digital audio out is a great feature.
Edited by comfynumb - 11/30/13 at 7:13am
post #9699 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Disregard my last message. My blu-ray player felt the need to change the color output settings on it's own. Changed back to YCbCr 4:4:4. Problem solved.... Thank god. Haha.

Sorry to hijack your post but you made me question something.

I thought it was better to use 4:2:2 as it allows for 10 bit where as 4:4:4 was limited to 8 bit? Was I incorrect with this assumption?
post #9700 of 12393
I believe you are correct. I've always prefered 4:4:4 though. Picture always has seemed to have better contrast. I like my blacks more black and my whites more white, even if 4:2:2 is more "true" to the source material, my eye prefers 4:4:4. smile.gif
post #9701 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I believe you are correct. I've always prefered 4:4:4 though. Picture always has seemed to have better contrast. I like my blacks more black and my whites more white, even if 4:2:2 is more "true" to the source material, my eye prefers 4:4:4. smile.gif

+1 for "whatever looks better for to your eyes."

Basically, it shouldn't really matter. The source material we use is encoded as 4:2:0 anyway, so it has to be upscaled. It shouldn't matter where the upscaling to the displayed 4:4:4 of our panels is done. In a bluray player, by an HTPC graphics card, or at the TV itself. If all the devices are properly calibrated and perform the upscaling properly, it's doubtful you would see a difference.

What is very important is that the TV and the device connected to it match, so that they are speaking the same language. And for best results, have the fewest incidences of conversion between the content (which is 4:2:0) and the panel (which lately tend to be 4:4:4). On my HTPC, I get best results setting the pixel format output to RGB 4:4:4 (16-235 limited) and making sure the TV expects the same range input. The other settings (such as YUV 4:2:2 etc.) also look fine, because the graphics card I use (ATI 5670, 3 years old) and TV (60ST60) are both capable of doing a good job of interpreting the signal. Basically, the TV can properly interpret any of the options my graphics card can put out.

For a refresher, I Googled 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 and got lots of good hits. Here are a few:

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/color_subsampling_or_what_is_4.html

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1268731/4-4-4-vs-4-2-2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Marc
post #9702 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Read my review. The ST60 is notably brighter compared to the s60, in fact is the brightest out of all the 2013 Panasonic plasmas.

Also you guys need to stop posting numbers without explaining what they signify. Both the s60 and st60 will hit 40 ftls when calibrated, but this is for most content, but doesn't give you any idea about brute performance. The s60 at 100% full brightness can only hit 11ftls compared to the st60 which can hit 18 ftls. This is important because the ABL will be less noticeable (40 to 18 vs 40 to 10 ftls).

For reference the F8500 has a peak output of 214 cd/m2 (st60 130 cd/m2) and a 100% full brightness of 38 ftls or 24 ftls when calibrated. = absolute best but not that bad when you compare a calibrated st60 vs a calibrated F8500.

OK, thanks for this info, and after weeks of research and evaluation of LED models as to whether I wanted to jump ship to LED, based on your info I just pulled the trigger on a 60ST60 to see if it significantly betters the 60S60 I had for a week and returned. The problem I had with the S60 was that the picture was just a bit too dim and the ABL was too aggressive, dimming the screen significantly whenever there was a lot of bright content on the screen. Your info gives me hope that the ST60 will indeed be able to achieve a brighter and bolder picture without having to blow out the whites.

After viewing and researching LED TVs for weeks, I decided I just couldn't give up the superior blacks of plasma and that I would give the ST60 a shot. The hundreds of overwhelmingly positive ST60 reviews on Amazon in which people talked about buying the ST60 after trying out LEDs sealed the deal. Amazon's great return policy also played a role in my decision, since if the ABL is too aggressive on the ST60 as well, I can just return it and go with a LED. Finally, now was the time to try out a ST60 before they're all gone!
post #9703 of 12393
tried the 3D tonight for the first time.... Ok to be honest (and this is a bit embarrassing) this was truly the first time as this is our first 3D tv.
We already had the necessary bluray player but when we bought it we never intended to actually use it. biggrin.gif

Well I bought The Polar Express 3D this week off Amazon and it came today. Hubby and I set up the glasses and watched our first 3D movie.

All I can say is wow. Wow, wow, wow!!! Now I know it may not be the most fantastic 3D movie out there but we loved it. The effects were beautiful, it looked as if the snow flakes were falling in our living room. For a couple of old fossils such as ourselves this was a moment of pure magic. biggrin.gif

This is one helluva tv, that's all I can say.

Now how about Jurassic Park in 3D.......... eek.gif
post #9704 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

....Amazon's great return policy also played a role in my decision, since if the ABL is too aggressive on the ST60 as well, I can just return it and go with a LED. Finally, now was the time to try out a ST60 before they're all gone!

I think Amazon now charges you for the return shipping if you're just returning it because you're not happy with it. If so, that could be kinda expensive. You might want to verify this, and if so find out how much they'll deduct from your refund.

But i bet you will want to keep the ST60 anyway so it probably doesn't matter wink.gif
post #9705 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think Amazon now charges you for the return shipping if you're just returning it because you're not happy with it. If so, that could be kinda expensive. You might want to verify this, and if so find out how much they'll deduct from your refund.

But i bet you will want to keep the ST60 anyway so it probably doesn't matter wink.gif

When did this policy go into effect? January 2013 and March 2013 I returned two ST50s due to various issues - buzzing, vertical streaks - and wasn't charged return fees.
post #9706 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

This is one helluva tv, that's all I can say.
Then ya think of the price wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think Amazon now charges you for the return shipping if you're just returning it because you're not happy with it.
Correct. Just got hit by a fee the other week.......
post #9707 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

When did this policy go into effect? January 2013 and March 2013 I returned two ST50s due to various issues - buzzing, vertical streaks - and wasn't charged return fees.

I seem to remember that they quietly changed their return policy and return shipping costs policy around April, soon after Best Buy quietly cut their return window in half. I think there was some discussion about it here on AVS too. Retailers like Amazon and others have accounts with the various shipping companies (like CEVA and Pilot etc) and they get a very low rate to ship bulk items like TVs, but the shipping companies charge private consumers a LOT more to ship a TV, but i would presume (or better yet hope) that Amazon will only deduct their actual shipping cost, and not the higher cost that a consumer off the street would pay.

Not much info on Amazon's website, but the wording is quite different than what i remember when i bought a TV last year:


"Return Shipping Costs

If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. If you choose the U.S. Postal Service option, the amount that will be deducted from your refund is displayed. If you choose the self return option, you'll pay the cost charged by the carrier selected."
post #9708 of 12393
Hey guys, the wife has been bugging me for Xmas gift ideas, she knows of my love for all things audio video related. I was just reading about the oppo bluray player with darbee processing, and it got me thinking about getting a darblet instead I was wondering if any st60 owners have used one with their plasma display? I have a 65st60 and use shawdirect satellite in canada and the HD is decent but have always been curios if a darblet would improve it.
post #9709 of 12393
I'm having an issue with the YouTube app on my 60ST60. It used to work perfectly but recently it stopped working. When I start the app the TV shows the Connecting "spinner", then the Loading "spinner" but then it just goes to a blank white screen. I'm running the current firmware and I've confirmed that I'm connected to the internet. I have no problems using Netflix.

Thanks in advance.
post #9710 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingersol1211 View Post

Hey guys, the wife has been bugging me for Xmas gift ideas, she knows of my love for all things audio video related. I was just reading about the oppo bluray player with darbee processing, and it got me thinking about getting a darblet instead I was wondering if any st60 owners have used one with their plasma display? I have a 65st60 and use shawdirect satellite in canada and the HD is decent but have always been curios if a darblet would improve it.

I have the 103 (not 103d) and love it. I must admit, though, I only use it as a blu ray player and use a Roku3 for all streaming. As of last week's software update (which are anywhere from 1 month to 6 month releases), the Netflix app is visually less appealing than the Roku (which was recently updated in November). It's an excellent blu ray player.
post #9711 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Then ya think of the price wink.gif

This tv was worth every penny. And I say this even though the property tax bill came in the mail yesterday biggrin.gif

But when you consider just how nice the PQ is and the features it has it really isn't that much. I mean we don't go out much, dinner once in awhile and occasional day trips. For us a set like this provides a wealth of entertainment

I was hesitant to buy it but I have to admit this time my husband right. wink.gif
post #9712 of 12393
For he owners of the ST60. How has been the load times of plugging up a external hard drive or USB thumb drive into the USB port. I currently have a older panny ST30 and when I plug my external hard rive into it it takes like 5 minutes to load up the flies. It is very frustrating, since I can plug it into my LG LW6500 and it immediately is playable. I don't know if it is just my tv or a common nuisance with panny plasma's.

I am about to pull the trigger on replacing my LG the st60. But we use our external hard drive a lot with the LG and it is nice being able to plug in and go about my business without waiting 5 or mor minutes. So has panny addressed this issue with the newer models?

Oh and without going into much detail? What are the main issues people have been noticing with the newer st60?
post #9713 of 12393
Thanks gonzlobo, I was more interested in learning about the darblet,s effect on the st60 , when I was reading about the oppo 103d it got me thinking about
Maybe getting one for all sources.
post #9714 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think Amazon now charges you for the return shipping if you're just returning it because you're not happy with it. If so, that could be kinda expensive. You might want to verify this, and if so find out how much they'll deduct from your refund.

But i bet you will want to keep the ST60 anyway so it probably doesn't matter wink.gif

As I indicated in my post above, I just returned to Amazon the 60S60 that I didn't like due to dimness and aggressive ABL. They issued a full refund on it, and I did not have to pay for return shipping either; they just came and picked it up. I am an Amazon Prime member, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Edited by mtrot - 11/30/13 at 8:22pm
post #9715 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

As I indicated in my post above, I just returned to Amazon the 60S60 that I didn't like due to dimness and aggressive ABL. They issued a full refund on it, and I did not have to pay for return shipping either; they just came and picked it up. I am an Amazon Prime member, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you claim it was "defective"? I know as a Prime member, I was charged for return shipping on two Sony TVs back in Nov 2012 and January 2013. Given that the defects (flashlighting, poor uniformity, etc) are inherent to the design, I couldn't bring myself to call them "defective", so I ate about $90 in return fees. I later read that claiming they're "defective" is the magic word to getting a free return, and I wish I had a do-over on that. It's not like it's going to hurt Amazon's bottom line; the more money they lose, the more their stock goes up, so why not take advantage of their bubble while it lasts?
post #9716 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Did you claim it was "defective"? I know as a Prime member, I was charged for return shipping on two Sony TVs back in Nov 2012 and January 2013. Given that the defects (flashlighting, poor uniformity, etc) are inherent to the design, I couldn't bring myself to call them "defective", so I ate about $90 in return fees. I later read that claiming they're "defective" is the magic word to getting a free return, and I wish I had a do-over on that. It's not like it's going to hurt Amazon's bottom line; the more money they lose, the more their stock goes up, so why not take advantage of their bubble while it lasts?

I just told them exactly what I've said here, i.e., that the picture was very dim compared to my old Toshiba plasma I was replacing, and that the ABL causes white screens to be sort of light gray, and that I was very dissatisfied with it. Now, when the guy came to pick it up and we completed the paperwork, he advised me to check the box--"Working, but with problems".
post #9717 of 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

OK, thanks for this info, and after weeks of research and evaluation of LED models as to whether I wanted to jump ship to LED, based on your info I just pulled the trigger on a 60ST60 to see if it significantly betters the 60S60 I had for a week and returned. The problem I had with the S60 was that the picture was just a bit too dim and the ABL was too aggressive, dimming the screen significantly whenever there was a lot of bright content on the screen. Your info gives me hope that the ST60 will indeed be able to achieve a brighter and bolder picture without having to blow out the whites.

After viewing and researching LED TVs for weeks, I decided I just couldn't give up the superior blacks of plasma and that I would give the ST60 a shot. The hundreds of overwhelmingly positive ST60 reviews on Amazon in which people talked about buying the ST60 after trying out LEDs sealed the deal. Amazon's great return policy also played a role in my decision, since if the ABL is too aggressive on the ST60 as well, I can just return it and go with a LED. Finally, now was the time to try out a ST60 before they're all gone!

Try to keep your contrasts level to 85, this will make The ABL even less noticeable.
post #9718 of 12393
Just finished the slides(No Blanket!!) and putting in D-Nices settings and... DAMN THIS TV IS INCREDIBLE.

I put in KZSF, WIND WAKER HD and DARK KNIGHT and the PQ is unreal. Its a pretty big leap from the W900 which I did not expect.
So happy with this thing. Also not noticing any Input lag.

So glad I listened to you guys.
Thanks for all the input and patience everyone showed since I know I asked a lot of crazy questions.
Edited by TheBruceleeroy - 12/1/13 at 8:33am
post #9719 of 12393
FWIW, after I had about 150 hrs of usage (combo of slides plus full screen viewing) I tried the D-nice settings, and after all the entry was done, found them not at all appealing. Too much red push, and I lost a lot of detail in dark scenes generally. I was a bit surprised by how bad the much-discussed settings looked on my 60ST60. Of course every TV would benefit by unique calibration with proper equipment, but still I was expecting some improvement from the default settings.

I've used what I've learned so far to adjust things on my own to get a pretty good picture by eye, as I don't have calibration equipment.

This is no slight to D-nice, I'm sure his settings worked great on his TV, and clearly a lot of people get good results with them as a starting point. For me the lesson learned reinforces what I've read here, that individual set variations can easily mean that plugging in settings from the internet may not help...

Marc
post #9720 of 12393

New owner here! Based on this site and the reviews, I decided to stray from my typical LED purchase and pickup a 65" ST60 while I still could. So I've got it setup, and I've got two questions.

 

1. Though input lag has been inconsistently reported, I must say it is quite bad. Even with game mode. But, I am almost certain this has to do with the bloatware running as services in the background.  I have heard mixed messages from customers' correspondence with Panasonic. Are they or are they not planning to release a firmware package to disable this bloatware? I ask because, if there's a confirmation that user-configurable services firmware isn't coming, I might have to bail on this display.

 

2. Break in period...  Nothing in the manual. What do you guys use? I've been keeping everything on standard, and just running movies without static logos.

 

3. It doesn't appear to want to play nice with my Synology Diskstation--it isn't detecting any DLNA devices. Even though every other media player/PC/etc can find it just fine. I've given it a static IP. Hard to find info on this front. Anyone?

 

 

Thanks


Edited by jagerx9 - 12/1/13 at 12:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread