or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix adds 3D and Super HD - Page 50

post #1471 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Unblock US & Unotelly how reliable are they? Do they go down often? All I know is when I went to the Unblock US site I saw they just recovered from a outage. I don't care about accessing Canada or UK just Super HD in the US.

Also I set Google DNS only on my PS3 for Netflix to see if it streams better. It helped last night and I will try it for a couple of weeks.

The Roku I have to change it on the router side I still can't believe you can't even do that on the Roku. No matter the Roku can sit idel and I will be disconnecting it soon.

I set the UnBlock US DNS in my router. I've had no issues with any of my devices using their DNS IP address in my router.
post #1472 of 1798
Cox in SE Virginia (Hampton Roads) is "ready" for SuperHD.
post #1473 of 1798
I though all of Cox had SuperHD.
post #1474 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I set the UnBlock US DNS in my router. I've had no issues with any of my devices using their DNS IP address in my router.

The real issue is if you're actually getting SuperHD off the US Netflix servers (even though the SuperHD logos are there). I suspect most of the time not. It seems to work better from the US to other regions rather than the US to US (not sure why).
post #1475 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

The real issue is if you're actually getting SuperHD off the US Netflix servers (even though the SuperHD logos are there). I suspect most of the time not. It seems to work better from the US to other regions rather than the US to US (not sure why).

Yes I am getting the Super HD. I check first with the streaming title that shows the bitrate and resolution. If that shows the SuperHD bitrate I know I can get the SuperHD bitrate or 3D bitrate from other titles(The 3D bitrate is supposed to be around twice the max SuperHD bitrate). This has worked without fail for me as a test.

If that test title doesn't get the superHD stream I back out of the app and start it again. Most of the time though it works on the first try.
post #1476 of 1798
Eh. I'm pretty annoyed with Unotelly. Now SuperHD for the US and Canadian servers isn't even available (the SuperHD check shows the service as "Not being SuperHD ready"), although SuperHD seems to be OK in the various other regions. I don't know what's going on there. Being that I just subscribed for a year, I'll keep you abreast of how they respond, and see if they come back with more than just canned responses (which was the first one I got, albeit it was helpful one).

Edit- aaaaaand of course now it's working again (for the time being). Technical glitches like this are annoying as hell. I really doubt I'm getting SuperHD off the US Servers anyways...
post #1477 of 1798
Just cancelled unblock-us (again - I should have learn't first time).

If you want access to other Netflix regions it may have value - but for accessing Super HD in the US it just isn't reliable for me.

My first experience was using a Roku 2 and setting the DNS in the router. With this set up I would sometimes get Super HD streams - but more often not.

When I got an Apple TV to replace the Roku 2 I thought I would try unblock-us again.

You can set the DNS in the Apple TV - and again sometimes I would get SuperHD streams but sometime not and worse one of the big advantages of the Apple TV (it ramps immediately to the highest available stream) seems to no longer apply with unblock-us. I also found that unblock-us the Apple TV would not always get the 3850 HD stream which I always get with OpenDNS.

In a family setting I can't start / restart the player until I get Super HD - sons / wife etc (righly) aren't willing to put up with this and just want to watch TV.
post #1478 of 1798
As I said it's no better with Unotelly. Still not getting any SuperHD to the US or Canadian servers, not even showing the logos now. I guess there are no real solutions for SuperHD if you don't have it and live in the US.
post #1479 of 1798
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

As I said it's no better with Unotelly. Still not getting any SuperHD to the US or Canadian servers, not even showing the logos now. I guess there are no real solutions for SuperHD if you don't have it and live in the US.

i dont know about unotelly, but thats probably the reason unblockus doesnt market and barely mentions that you can get SuperHD. You really have to search for superhd in UUS to find an article that it is supported.
post #1480 of 1798
Can someone check and see if Canadian SuperHD is down (it's working for me in every other region that supports it)? I haven't been able to get it working for over a week now, and am trying to work with Unotelly CS support on it. I think it's something going on on Netflix's end.
post #1481 of 1798
It works for me but then, I am in Canada. When I connect with or without Unblock-US I can see SuperHD. You may be looking for someone from US to see if they can connect.
post #1482 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Can someone check and see if Canadian SuperHD is down (it's working for me in every other region that supports it)? I haven't been able to get it working for over a week now, and am trying to work with Unotelly CS support on it. I think it's something going on on Netflix's end.

Rainy Sunday afternoon, and had the house to myself for awhile, so I was finally able to check. Bringing the PS3 up from my cave, to the living room-only 1 HDTV in the house thus far, and it typically is in the hands of others. Checking Canada using unblock with ethernet connection, there was slow and intermittent SuperHD streaming verses US. Example Short 23.976 while set to Canada never went past 720 HD. A few movies I sampled (for roughly 5-6 min each) were very slow to ramp up to S-HD. New arrivals (in Canada) Columbiana & Zoolander never went up to S-HD at all. Predators, Flight, Kick Ass, and Indian thriller Thaandavarm each reached 1080 S HD after waiting up to the 5 min mark, with Flight fluctuating the most... Resetting to the US, Example Short did ramp up slowly. My ''go too' test for Super HD; Star Trek Enterprise, went to to the highest immediately.

 

Of course, today being Sunday, there would have to be millions of people going online. But there just might be some issue going on with either Netflix or unblock, that may be behind the sluggish behavior.  Obviously, since these VPNs weren't really created to do what they're doing here, we can't pester Netflix about what might be happening. And the support section at unblock has listed some recent performance issues  for the month-one of which they have listed as resolved on Aug 13. Have you had any more issues with Unotelly since the 13th?

post #1483 of 1798
It must be Unotelly then. I'll try and get them on it.

Edit: They fixed it. They have really good CS over there. They worked with me and were very courteous and resolved the problem in a relatively short time. Good stuff.smile.gif
Edited by DaveFi - 8/20/13 at 9:09pm
post #1484 of 1798
Interesting note--when using Unblock to view titles in the Brazil region, on most devices for most titles you're forced to display Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish subtitles; never on Roku 3, which always offers a "None" subtitle option. I usually use WD TV Live but for some reason it was constantly stopping and rebuffering so I switched to Roku 3 and discovered this (also no rebuffering).
post #1485 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Interesting note--when using Unblock to view titles in the Brazil region, on most devices for most titles you're forced to display Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish subtitles; never on Roku 3, which always offers a "None" subtitle option. I usually use WD TV Live but for some reason it was constantly stopping and rebuffering so I switched to Roku 3 and discovered this (also no rebuffering).

I can set the BDT220 to "none" for some subtitles (some of it is forced though).
post #1486 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I can set the BDT220 to "none" for some subtitles (some of it is forced though).

Not every title in the non-US regions have forced subtitles; I've run across a few that even have English captions for English language films. But subtitles don't appear to ever be forced on the Roku. Since they're selectable "none" should always be one of the choices, since it only requires the player to not do something.
post #1487 of 1798
I am watching Rockford Files right now and it is showing Super HD on my PS3. I checked the Netflix page and it says it is not supported. The thing is I am using Google DNS only on my PS3. When the show finishes I will try the example short on my PS3 and Roku 3 and keep you updated.

post #1488 of 1798
Just tried the example short and it ramped up to 5800 Kbps 1920x1080. I then tried it on the Roku 3 which is using OpenDNS and the best I was able to get was 3000 Kbps 1280x720.

I then quit the PS3 app and went into the super HD test page on the PS3 web browser and it said I was not ready for Super HD.

I loaded the Netflix app again on the PS3 and played the example short and it ramped up again to Super HD.



Can anyone confirm that this is because I am using Google DNS. Anyone with Comcast, TWC etc. confirm with Google DNS getting Super HD.
post #1489 of 1798
Well I just tried the example short on the Roku 3 using OpenDNS and it ramped up to 5800kbps so TWC had to sign a deal with Netflix for OpenConnect I just can't find anything about it except for the deal Netflix made to stream there movies.
post #1490 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Well I just tried the example short on the Roku 3 using OpenDNS and it ramped up to 5800kbps so TWC had to sign a deal with Netflix for OpenConnect I just can't find anything about it except for the deal Netflix made to stream there movies.

How can you tell it is playing at 5800 Kbps on the Roku 3? I just checked the Netflix Super HD verification page and it still says I'm not configured yet. I'm not using either GoogleDNS or OpenDNS. TWC out of the Milwaukee, WI area.
post #1491 of 1798
It says i am not configured either but I am getting Super HD. The example short 23.976 with the overlay will go up to 5800kbps which is Super HD. The Roku does not show you the quality otherwise but the PS3 will say Super HD if you hit the select button.
post #1492 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

It says i am not configured either but I am getting Super HD. The example short 23.976 with the overlay will go up to 5800kbps which is Super HD. The Roku does not show you the quality otherwise but the PS3 will say Super HD if you hit the select button.

Can you post the link to the Example Short 23.976 you are using? There are many versions out there.
post #1493 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Can you post the link to the Example Short 23.976 you are using? There are many versions out there.

AFAICT only one with the bit-rate/resolution info burned into its component encodes, the one, the only "Example Short 23.976"--accept no substitutes biggrin.gif. "Example 8 Hour 23.976" used to have the information overlay, but they changed it.

Use the "English (Stereo)" sound (or the language of your choice) if you don't want your ears damaged; the English 5.1 track is a bunch of test tones.
post #1494 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

AFAICT only one with the bit-rate/resolution info burned into its component encodes, the one, the only "Example Short 23.976"--accept no substitutes biggrin.gif. "Example 8 Hour 23.976" used to have the information overlay, but they changed it.

Use the "English (Stereo)" sound (or the language of your choice) if you don't want your ears damaged; the English 5.1 track is a bunch of test tones.

Thanks Mike. That particular version ramps up to 3850 Kbps for me.

Perhaps Reddice is part of an early roll-out for TWC. Or perhaps it is just a test similar to the earlier Comcast false alarm.
post #1495 of 1798
reddice--is it only Google DNS that you get Super HD on? If you change your PS3 to Open DNS do you still get it? Also, if your PS3 is connected to a 3D TV can you see the 3D genre in its browser (like in these photos)?
post #1496 of 1798
Just changed the DNS back to OpenDNS and it ramped it to 5800kbps Super HD. I am going to now change my PS3 back to Google DNS since it ramps up quicker.
post #1497 of 1798
Neither Open DNS or Google DNS should get you Super HD; Unblock appears to do it by routing you to their servers which take the place of Amazon servers used to supervise Netflix clients and assign content servers to them. Their servers assign you to Open Connect ones (the content servers in most regions outside of the US are Open Connect; only Mexico, Ireland and Finland don't have Super HD).

Do you see the Super HD logos in your PS3 Netflix player's browser?
post #1498 of 1798
No Super HD logos but so far everything that I watched that had a HD logo played in Super HD.
post #1499 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

No Super HD logos but so far everything that I watched that had a HD logo played in Super HD.

If you can see the Super HD logos the ones marked only "HD" are "Available in HD on your TV" 720p-only, like Super 8 and Captain America.
post #1500 of 1798
I know which movies are from Epix since I subscribe to that channel I have no tried those. Just what is in my list which has no movies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD