or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix adds 3D and Super HD - Page 23

post #661 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's been several years since I worked in wireless telecomm, so I should probably think up something new. Streaming A/V is my strong tech interest now so maybe some pun around "streaming" or "stream". I'll think about it smile.gif.

EDIT: Okay--I picked one. How's that biggrin.gif?

As Arnold would say:


That's a good one!



Ian wink.gif
post #662 of 1798
I spent several hours yesterday doing an experiment with regards to the superhd as I have had mixed results in the last few weeks. I have a Panasonic BDT220, Samsung BD-E6500, Sony BDV-E390 and Windows 8. I wanted to see how consistently I get 5800KBps streaming. Each time I only streamed Example Short 23.976 as Samsung and Panasonic have no way of telling you what stream is coming. Out of my 30+ attempts, here are the results.
Sony got to 5800KBps each time(5)
Samsung and Windows 8 also did that each time(5). Since I got consistent results, I didn't try them more than 5 times.
With Panasonic, out of about 15 attempts, I got 5800KBps only once, that to for a few seconds and then it fell back. The rest of the times, it only reached 3850. All of these were done during a 2 hr period and sometimes, the two were going simultaneously. The other thing I noticed was that Panasonic took a long time to even ramp up to 3850.
post #663 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

I spent several hours yesterday doing an experiment with regards to the superhd as I have had mixed results in the last few weeks. I have a Panasonic BDT220, Samsung BD-E6500, Sony BDV-E390 and Windows 8. I wanted to see how consistently I get 5800KBps streaming. Each time I only streamed Example Short 23.976 as Samsung and Panasonic have no way of telling you what stream is coming. Out of my 30+ attempts, here are the results.
Sony got to 5800KBps each time(5)
Samsung and Windows 8 also did that each time(5). Since I got consistent results, I didn't try them more than 5 times.
With Panasonic, out of about 15 attempts, I got 5800KBps only once, that to for a few seconds and then it fell back. The rest of the times, it only reached 3850. All of these were done during a 2 hr period and sometimes, the two were going simultaneously. The other thing I noticed was that Panasonic took a long time to even ramp up to 3850.

You were using Unblock-US? If so, what region?
post #664 of 1798
Hi Michael, I clicked submit a bit prematurely. Yes, I am using Unblock-US from Alberta, Canada. Also, The Sony, Panasonic and Win8 were hard wired while the samsung was on wireless. I have a 50Mbps service. The reason I did that all together was every time I did the test with Panasonic, it wouldn't ramp up to 5800 over the last two weeks. Each time I thought may be it didn't connect to the right server at that time of day etc. Obviously, Panasonic is capable of getting superHD but in my case it is rare while the other have no trouble. I really like Panasonic and would love to make it my main bluray player but with its record, I hesitate. I hope with the next firmware update things might improve!
post #665 of 1798
I know this is a tech thread, but to be honest with you, although it may be cool to discuss all these bit rates, in the real world when I watch Netflix, even at the lower HD streams, the picture still looks amazing. It may not be BD quality, but it usually beats up my DTV.



Ian wink.gif
post #666 of 1798
This whole thing is making me pissed off towards Netflix, I've noticed the quality has gone downhill in the last year or so, seems like almost nothing is offered in HD anymore.

And why isn't "Super HD" supported over windows 7?

They either need to roll this out to everyone or not bother, creating a two tier service for a one tier price is insulting to the large amount of customers who they are not allowing access to the better service. My computer would have no issues playing SuperHD, my GPU alone cost much more than a PS3 and I have 30mbps internet connection. Yet the quality of the movies I'm streaming is going down.
post #667 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

And why isn't "Super HD" supported over windows 7?

.

Windows 7 only supports stereo rather than 5.1 audio. But given that the solution is relatively inexpensive, in the form of a media player such as the WDTV Live SMP, Roku etc., it's not worth getting too upset about in my view.
post #668 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

This whole thing is making me pissed off towards Netflix, I've noticed the quality has gone downhill in the last year or so, seems like almost nothing is offered in HD anymore.

What do they have in SD that you want to watch in HD? I just went through recent new movies and none of the SD stuff were things that had any major appeal to me. (I usually filter on HD so I don't normally pay attention to what's arrived in SD-only). Just about half of the movie titles are in HD now and slightly more than half of the television and both numbers have gradually increased over time.
Quote:
And why isn't "Super HD" supported over windows 7?

There's no good reason. Win7 users only have the web player (well, there is a player in the Windows Media Center UI, but I don't think that it's any more capable). They've never support even the non "Super" 1080p in that player and they can't deliver digital 5.1 sound that way. They could support 1080p in a web player--VUDU does it (it's tons more CPU intensive than a discrete program would be but it works and what else would you be doing with your HTPC while watching Netflix anyway). If they were going to create a standalone player program then they could certainly have created one which wasn't wrapped in the Win8 app shell and a version of it wrapped in a Win8 app shell for Win8 users who want it.
Quote:
They either need to roll this out to everyone or not bother, creating a two tier service for a one tier price is insulting to the large amount of customers who they are not allowing access to the better service.

If more ISPs don't sign up for Open Connect access they may be forced to. If six months down the line the majority of their customers don't have access to Super HD they'll start to look pretty silly (if they don't now). Then again, only the subset of customers who are tech savvy enough to be aware of Super HD and care will be irked by not having it; maybe they think they can afford to piss that subset off. Redbox is coming at them with an all you can watch for one price buffet service that may develop into real competition so perhaps they can't afford to think that way.
Quote:
My computer would have no issues playing SuperHD, my GPU alone cost much more than a PS3 and I have 30mbps internet connection. Yet the quality of the movies I'm streaming is going down.

I'm not noticing any real decrease in quality and wasn't noticing one prior to Super HD. Some people do feel that the 3850 Kbps 1080p encodes are softer than the old 4800 Kbps ones; I'd really like an effective way to compare.
post #669 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Windows 7 only supports stereo rather than 5.1 audio.

Windows 7 support 5.1 audio out of even Windows Media Player if you have S/PDIF or HDMI sound out.
post #670 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Windows 7 support 5.1 audio out of even Windows Media Player if you have S/PDIF or HDMI sound out.

Ah, here in the UK, we don't have the Netflix app in Windows Media Player, so wasn't aware of that. Our only Netflix access on win 7 is via the web site.
post #671 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Ah, here in the UK, we don't have the Netflix app in Windows Media Player, so wasn't aware of that. Our only Netflix access on win 7 is via the web site.

We don't have a Netflix app in WMP either; I thought you were saying that Win7 had no ability to output digital 5.1 sound. The web app can't do it any version of Windows biggrin.gif.
post #672 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If more ISPs don't sign up for Open Connect access they may be forced to. If six months down the line the majority of their customers don't have access to Super HD they'll start to look pretty silly (if they don't now). Then again, only the subset of customers who are tech savvy enough to be aware of Super HD and care will be irked by not having it; maybe they think they can afford to piss that subset off. Redbox is coming at them with an all you can watch for one price buffet service that may develop into real competition so perhaps they can't afford to think that way.

I'm not sure if ISP's like cablevision would wave their open connect fees if they felt there wasn't going to be some form of exclusively. Since Fios has become cable's major source of competition, they may be kept out of the loop entirely.


As I posted earlier:
Quote:
Optimum Online high speed Internet customers are enjoying the best Netflix picture quality ever with Netflix Super HD – it’s our clearest, smoothest HD picture yet! Not available on Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-verse.



Ian
post #673 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I'm not sure if ISP's like cablevision would wave their open connect fees if they felt there wasn't going to be some form of exclusively.

Maybe, but that would be guessing on their part. Netflix has certainly never offered them any guarantee of that and openly offers access to Open Connect to all ISPs, big and small.
post #674 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I thought you were saying that Win7 had no ability to output digital 5.1 sound. .

I obviously phrased it badly; I get 5.1 out of my win7 HTPC. I was refering to Netflix, which on a win7 PC, here in the UK, the only access is via the website.

I also meant Windows Media Center not WMP (not doing too well today biggrin.gif), which you have a Netflix app in in the US, but we don't in the UK.
post #675 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

I obviously phrased it badly; I get 5.1 out of my win7 HTPC. I was refering to Netflix, which on a win7 PC, here in the UK, the only access is via the website.

I also meant Windows Media Center not WMP (not doing too well today biggrin.gif), which you have a Netflix app in in the US, but we don't in the UK.

We're in the same situation here vis-a-vis Win7 and Netflix, since I'm pretty sure that the app in WMC can't do 1080p or 5.1 sound--hell, it might not even support 720p, which you can get from the web player. I'd check, but I've converted to Win8 on this, my only PC.
post #676 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post



I have a WD TV Live somewhere, I might hook it up and give it a shot. I'm not sure if Super HD is supported on it yet though.
Did you ever get around to trying the WDTV Live to see if the SuperHD content was supported? I picked one these last week to try out but I haven't spent much time with the streaming services yet. I did a search and only your post was returned.
post #677 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Did you ever get around to trying the WDTV Live to see if the SuperHD content was supported? I picked one these last week to try out but I haven't spent much time with the streaming services yet. I did a search and only your post was returned.

In his review of WD TV Live Gabe Gagliano (aka forum member RangerOne) says:
Quote:
Finally, users have reported that the WD TV Live supports Netflix’s new Super HD video format.

It seems to have been added to just about every 1080p-capable Netflix player.
post #678 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

In his review of WD TV Live Gabe Gagliano (aka forum member RangerOne) says:
It seems to have been added to just about every 1080p-capable Netflix player.
Ah, thanks for the link!
post #679 of 1798
I use WD TV Live Streaming Media Player and it supports Netflix Super HD and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio
post #680 of 1798
I so very much want to buy one--a full-featured Netflix player with that great stream info overlay that's not my noisy, power-hog PS3 or the irksome Sony BDP-S390. But I need another streaming device like a hole in the head biggrin.gif.
post #681 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

I use WD TV Live Streaming Media Player and it supports Netflix Super HD and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio
Thanks, so far it's done a great job at streaming content from my server(better than PS3 Media Server which I had been using) and from attached storage, and with this info on Netflix it looks like the WDTV Live is going to have an extended here!
post #682 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I so very much want to buy one--a full-featured Netflix player with that great stream info overlay that's not my noisy, power-hog PS3 or the irksome Sony BDP-S390. But I need another streaming device like a hole in the head biggrin.gif.
My release 20GB PS3 finally bit the dust a few weeks back(yellow light of death) and I picked up a Panny BDT220 but it was really quirky DLNA-wise. I ended up swapping it for my brother's PS3 as he never really used it anyway. But now I'll be swapping him back, returning the Panny and use the credit/refund for something else!

What would really be sweet is if the WDTV Live supported the Blu-ray audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but I imagine that would add a considerable cost to the device.
post #683 of 1798
There's a new device called WD TV Play, being a pared down version of WD TV Live which sells for $70. It supposedly supports TrueHD.

If these things had Amazon players I could just about replace my Roku with one. I'm tempted to just order the Play (after all, it's my b-day on Sunday) but the next Roku is supposedly shipping this week. It's a rumor--there's been no pre-announcement by Roku--but I might as well wait and see what happens.
post #684 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There's a new device called WD TV Play, being a pared down version of WD TV Live which sells for $70. It supposedly supports TrueHD.
Yes, I saw that, but I don't think it has DLNA support though which is something I needed since the PS3 bit the dust. Besides, I think DTS-HD-MA is the dominant format on BDs now, seems like it anyway based on what I've viewed lately.

No Amazon support is certainly a drawback but as I'm also in the market for a new BD player that is one of the items I'll need to check off.

Definitely curious to see what a new Roku brings to the table, if it does everything the WD does, and has HD audio support, it might be the box to have. How solid is that rumor?
post #685 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Definitely curious to see what a new Roku brings to the table, if it does everything the WD does, and has HD audio support, it might be the box to have. How solid is that rumor?

Dave Zatz started it with this post on his blog. Basically there were some hints on their support pages and when someone asked an online chat CSR when he could buy it he was told March 6th. Since then I've heard someone say March 8th but I don't know where that info came from.
post #686 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Dave Zatz started it with this post on his blog. Basically there were some hints on their support pages and when someone asked an online chat CSR when he could buy it he was told March 6th. Since then I've heard someone say March 8th but I don't know where that info came from.
Interesting... I may have to take advantage of Amazon's excellent return policy on the WD. It doesn't mention local content support though which is where the Rokus have been weak so far.
Edited by keenan - 3/4/13 at 10:40pm
post #687 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Netflix has certainly never offered them any guarantee of that and openly offers access to Open Connect to all ISPs, big and small.


That may be the case for cable ISP's, however, we don't really know what is being conducted behind closed doors in terms of their future marketing strategy. Based on the email they sent to Optimum customers, it doesn't seem, a least to me, that Netflix is in any hurry to include Verizon Fios or AT&T UV.


Ian
post #688 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There's a new device called WD TV Play, being a pared down version of WD TV Live which sells for $70. It supposedly supports TrueHD.

If these things had Amazon players I could just about replace my Roku with one. I'm tempted to just order the Play (after all, it's my b-day on Sunday) but the next Roku is supposedly shipping this week. It's a rumor--there's been no pre-announcement by Roku--but I might as well wait and see what happens.

I agree I would replace my primary Roku 2 XS with a player that can do

- 24P output (natively)
- support Amazon, Netflix, Hulu + and Vudu
- 1080P / 5.1 (of course)
- SuperHD Netflix (if and when my ISP supports it)
- Outputs YCbCr (not RGB like the Roku which causes issues with some receivers)

Nice to have Netflix/Vudu 3D support (that said my wife and family have no interest as it causes them headaches)

I have many streaming players - but one that can all this this would instantly become my default.
post #689 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, I saw that, but I don't think it has DLNA support though

You should check, but I think the WD Play does support DLNA, but not Windows network shares.
post #690 of 1798
Unblock us DNS service is mentioned. I run my own DNS. Explain how this gets me superHD if I have FiOS. Why do I need an alternate DNS as a workaround to reach Netflix CDN.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD