or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix adds 3D and Super HD - Page 25

post #721 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post

...

To me this proves that a simple dns lookup is enough to fool netflix to allow me to watch superhd content. I haven't gotten to the point where I capture network traffic but here is my plan.

..

Can you do this on a blu-ray player as well (just change the DNS)?
post #722 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can you do this on a blu-ray player as well (just change the DNS)?

On mine I can. But I just change it in my router since the DNS change has had no detrimental effect on any of my other devices.
post #723 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can you do this on a blu-ray player as well (just change the DNS)?

I can set it locally on all of my Netflix streaming devices except the Roku, which I want to use Unblock-US' region changing ability with (my ISP gives me Super HD). As aaronwt said, setting it in the router doesn't seem to hurt anything, though one participant in this thread has reported a problem it caused for him. (It was undecided, I think--he runs an atypical home LAN with two routers in it).
post #724 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I can set it locally on all of my Netflix streaming devices except the Roku, which I want to use Unblock-US' region changing ability with (my ISP gives me Super HD). As aaronwt said, setting it in the router doesn't seem to hurt anything, though one participant in this thread has reported a problem it caused for him. (It was undecided, I think--he runs an atypical home LAN with two routers in it).

Thanks for the responses. I may try it on one device first just to see how it works and do the actual router later if I build up the nerve. biggrin.gif
post #725 of 1798
So if my internet provider (Time Warner) doe not support Super HD does that mean it also does not support 3d viewing or are they seperate from eachother. I have a 3d TV and when I play a video that says if it recognizes a 3d TV it will play in 3d, it only plays in 2d. My Tv is an LG 55lm6700 (Passive).

Thanks!
post #726 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

So if my internet provider (Time Warner) doe not support Super HD does that mean it also does not support 3d viewing or are they seperate from eachother. I have a 3d TV and when I play a video that says if it recognizes a 3d TV it will play in 3d, it only plays in 2d. My Tv is an LG 55lm6700 (Passive).

Thanks!

Yes, that is correct. If your ISP is not signed up with Open Connect then you will not get SuperHD nor 3D.
post #727 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post

...

Here is what is curious to me. DNS serves only one purpose. IT takes a request like what is www.foobar.com and returns the IP addresses. I run my own DNS servers for my network in general so I am trying to figure out if the test on the netflix site uses a lookup that only their partners can resolve. The looking up of a url that is not available on the public net seems to be the test. I will continue to hack at this and see exactly how this works since if you have plenty of bandwidth and you can do the proper resolve of a hostname to an ip you seem to get the green light from netflix for superHD.

Any additional thoughts on this are appreciated.

I tried changing the DNS on my blu-ray player and this is what I noticed:

1. The video seemed to have no difference (1080p before the change and 1080p after).
2. The audio seemed to go from DD 5.1 to DD 5.1 + on the same show I was watching before and after the DNS change.

Does anyone know what we're supposed to expect from HD to Super HD from Netflix?

Also, I tried making the same change on my laptop but it didn't work. After changing the DNS on the laptop and going to Netflix, I got an error from unblock:

"We need your email address to check your service status.
Please enter your email and click Continue."

I guess it's because I don't have an account with Unblock? I changed the DNS back to blank and everything was fine.
post #728 of 1798
Just asking when you change your DNS back to blank do you have to reboot your router to get online again?
post #729 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Does anyone know what we're supposed to expect from HD to Super HD from Netflix?

Play "Example Short 23.976", a test clip with a bit-rate/resolution info overlay burned into each of its component video encodes. If it gets up to 4300- or 5800 Kbps then you're getting Super HD. If your router lets you look at connections, you might look to see if you're getting connections in the nflxvideo.net domain (Netflix's Open Connect CDN, whose servers are the only source of Super HD and 3D encodes).
post #730 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Just asking when you change your DNS back to blank do you have to reboot your router to get online again?

I rebooted when I added DNS numbers but I didn't when changing back to blank. The internet was immediately working after this change so I didn't reboot.
post #731 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Play "Example Short 23.976", a test clip with a bit-rate/resolution info overlay burned into each of its component video encodes. If it gets up to 4300- or 5800 Kbps then you're getting Super HD. If your router lets you look at connections, you might look to see if you're getting connections in the nflxvideo.net domain (Netflix's Open Connect CDN, whose servers are the only source of Super HD and 3D encodes).

Thanks, I'll try this tonight on my Tivo which doesn't have the DNS change and then on my blu-ray player which does have the DNS change to see the difference.
post #732 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

My Roku 2XD doesn't seem all that 'laggy' to me.

Turns out that lag is due to my universal IR remote (Harmony One). No doubt it's programmed to limit speed of button presses. Response to the RF remote is instantaneous. Sorry.
post #733 of 1798
@ Lujan, you need to enter your email for a free account (free for one week) to test it out. you can do that on any computer and then just change the settings on the device you want to test or at your router to test the whole network.
post #734 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Turns out that lag is due to my universal IR remote (Harmony One). No doubt it's programmed to limit speed of button presses. Response to the RF remote is instantaneous. Sorry.
That's OK, after all if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known about Example Short 23.976, among other things. Your contributions to this thread is appreciated.


Ian wink.gif
post #735 of 1798
Anyone have an idea of why I can't get the example short to play? It loads to 20% then stops. Then tells me my internet connection has a problem preventing it to play and an error N8202 code. I've rebooted and still same issue. I'm trying from my laptop. I'll try on my tv which is wired.

Edit: Trying netflix on the tv stayed at I think it was 640x480 w/1050kpbs for a minute then I hit pause and un-pause and it went to 1750 kbps with the res. at 720x480. That seems low! Before all this B.S. with Netflix I was getting x-high on shows. I have 20mbps down using Concast.

What are people seeing running this test?

UPDATE: I just did the trial Unblock-us and when trying Netflix through my Sony tv I get Super HD. when I use Netflix through my PS3 I get Super HD on titles as well.

Can anyone check if CSI Miami has a problem with the audio? The dialog is coming out of the right channel I noticed this quite a while ago.
Edited by Tom Bley - 3/9/13 at 6:09pm
post #736 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Anyone have an idea of why I can't get the example short to play? It loads to 20% then stops. Then tells me my internet connection has a problem preventing it to play and an error N8202 code. I've rebooted and still same issue. I'm trying from my laptop. I'll try on my tv which is wired.

Edit: Trying netflix on the tv stayed at I think it was 640x480 w/1050kpbs for a minute then I hit pause and un-pause and it went to 1750 kbps with the res. at 720x480. That seems low! Before all this B.S. with Netflix I was getting x-high on shows. I have 20mbps down using Concast.

What are people seeing running this test?

I've tried this video last night and this morning and it kept having problems and getting an error. When it did work it would only stay at 1750 and 480 with me as well. I called Netflix and reported it and they said they would forward to the appropriate people.
post #737 of 1798
While I can't say why, I sure can say that it happens quite frequently even with my wired connection with 50bps service. My guess is a lot of people who recently upgraded to new netflix appliances capable of 1080p superhd are testing to make sure they are getting it. I can't see any other logical reason as one night it works 10/10 times and next day comes with the message that there is a network problem.
post #738 of 1798
I am pleased to announce that Unblock-US' inconsistent-connect-to-Open-Connect-servers problem seems to be over. Last night, testing out my new WD TV Play, I noticed that I seemed to always get Super HD. So I tried starting the Netflix player, testing, killing the player then starting and testing it again. I got assigned Open Connect servers (and therefore access to Super HD encodes) 5 out of 5 times. I tried again this morning and got connected 5 of 5 times again. I was about to post that I'd found another always-gets-Open-Connect-with-Unblock-DNS device to join the TiVo Premiere and Win8 Netflix app as being the only players with that distinction when I decided to check whether it was still flaky with other devices. I tried the PS3, Roku 3, and BDT220 and they all got connected to Open Connect every time in several starts each.

I posted to this discussion on the Unblock-US support forums congratulating them on the fix. It makes me a little happier cool.gif.
post #739 of 1798
Anyone have AT&T Uverse and try talking to them about NetFlix Open Connect? Spoke to one rep and they didn't know what I was talking about.
post #740 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I am pleased to announce that Unblock-US' inconsistent-connect-to-Open-Connect-servers problem seems to be over. Last night, testing out my new WD TV Play, I noticed that I seemed to always get Super HD. So I tried starting the Netflix player, testing, killing the player then starting and testing it again. I got assigned Open Connect servers (and therefore access to Super HD encodes) 5 out of 5 times. I tried again this morning and got connected 5 of 5 times again. I was about to post that I'd found another always-gets-Open-Connect-with-Unblock-DNS device to join the TiVo Premiere and Win8 Netflix app as being the only players with that distinction when I decided to check whether it was still flaky with other devices. I tried the PS3, Roku 3, and BDT220 and they all got connected to Open Connect every time in several starts each.

I posted to this discussion on the Unblock-US support forums congratulating them on the fix. It makes me a little happier cool.gif.

I am happy already reading your report. I will check in my place and see if it is true in Canada as well. Many thanks for this good news and your hard work.
post #741 of 1798
After seeing michaeltscott's post above I just tried again with my Roku 2 (setting unblock-us DNS in my router).

After rebooting both the router and Roku 2 I do seem to be getting consistent SuperHD connections - yes!

Note I needed to reboot both the router and Roku 2. Rebooting just the Roku 2 didn't work even though a PC on the same network said unblock-us 'DNS is setup correctly'
post #742 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I am pleased to announce that Unblock-US' inconsistent-connect-to-Open-Connect-servers problem seems to be over. Last night, testing out my new WD TV Play, I noticed that I seemed to always get Super HD. So I tried starting the Netflix player, testing, killing the player then starting and testing it again. I got assigned Open Connect servers (and therefore access to Super HD encodes) 5 out of 5 times. I tried again this morning and got connected 5 of 5 times again. I was about to post that I'd found another always-gets-Open-Connect-with-Unblock-DNS device to join the TiVo Premiere and Win8 Netflix app as being the only players with that distinction when I decided to check whether it was still flaky with other devices. I tried the PS3, Roku 3, and BDT220 and they all got connected to Open Connect every time in several starts each.

I posted to this discussion on the Unblock-US support forums congratulating them on the fix. It makes me a little happier cool.gif.

It's not fixed for me. To the US server I cannot make a SuperHD connection. Same old problems. Have to disconnect-reconnect multiple times, still having problems playing the test clip, PS3/BDT220 as of this evening.

Any suggestions? I tried rebooting my router. That didn't seem to help. Don't know what else I can do.
Edited by DaveFi - 3/9/13 at 8:39pm
post #743 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's not fixed for me. To the US server I cannot make a SuperHD connection. Same old problems. Have to disconnect-reconnect multiple times, still having problems playing the test clip, PS3/BDT220 as of this evening.

Any suggestions? I tried rebooting my router. That didn't seem to help. Don't know what else I can do.

Before I rebooted my router I couldn't connect to the test clip either - which is strange as I thought the test clip was available again on non-SuperHD servers.

For me a router reboot with the Roku 2 powered off followed powering on the Roku 2 worked - we'll see how reliable it is over the next few hours/days.....

Edit: I am using the US server
post #744 of 1798
I am based in the US and it's not working for me at all on platforms other than the PC on the US server (and I've pretty much tried everything at this point). So still have to use the PC.
post #745 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's not fixed for me. To the US server I cannot make a SuperHD connection. Same old problems. Have to disconnect-reconnect multiple times, still having problems playing the test clip, PS3/BDT220 as of this evening.

Any suggestions? I tried rebooting my router. That didn't seem to help. Don't know what else I can do.

Ability to play the test clip might not be an indicator anymore. They fixed it so that you could play it even if you're not getting connected to Open Connect servers. Can you look at what connections the devices are making in your router's admin console? That's what I was doing while I tested.
post #746 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Ability to play the test clip might not be an indicator anymore. They fixed it so that you could play it even if you're not getting connected to Open Connect servers. Can you look at what connections the devices are making in your router's admin console? That's what I was doing while I tested.
Unfortunately my router doesn't allow me to do that, but the PS3 does allow me to see if I'm getting SuperHD bandwidth, which according to the display I'm not. I'm maxing out at HD 1080p.

On the Canadian server, as usual, everything works just fine, able to connect to the test clip, maxes out at 5800kbps, PS3 indicator on movies shows SuperHD.
post #747 of 1798
I just tried testing the Roku 3 and PS3 again and they both get Open Connect servers every time. The fact that you max out at 3850 is inconclusive; that might happen due to conditions on your server connections even if you got Open Connect servers. Still, I've been testing using only the Canadian region; I'll try a couple of others.

I love the Tomato firmware; it's the only reason I'm still using an ancient Linksys WRT54G with no wireless N support. I don't think that it's been ported to any wireless N routers. The only reason it was ported at all was that all of the routers use the same generation of Broadcom chipset whose routers shipped firmware was open source. I should look into router capabilities though. I want realtime bandwidth graphing and display of current connections with automatic address resolution. The ability to monitor a single connected device's bandwidth consumption would be sweet, something that Tomato can't do. EDIT: Looks like the ASUS RT-N16, a wireless N router, will let me run the Toastman version of Tomato which has a ton of features, including individual device bandwidth monitoring; I may upgrade to that.
Edited by michaeltscott - 3/10/13 at 12:14am
post #748 of 1798
Well, I'm stuck with Verizon FIOS' crappy Actiontec router, which really doesn't have much as far as user-settings/friendliness goes.

Now on the US server the 23fps test clip is failing to connect for me again, and only when it does connect then the PS3 display shows SuperHD on all movies that support it (like it did before).
post #749 of 1798
I did some more testing using multiple different areas (some of which, like the UK and Sweden, don't have "Example Short 23.976") and I got Open Connect servers every time in multiple tests on the WD TV Play, Roku 3 and PS3. For a while I didn't think that I was getting Open Connect servers with area set to Sweden, but it turned out all devices were getting assigned some servers with IP addresses beginning with 37.77 which did not resolve to a name but which were registered to Netflix in Luxembourg; titles streamed from them got up to "1080 Super HD" on the PS3.

Sorry that it doesn't seem to be fixed for you Dave, but the evidence that it's fixed for me seems strong. The only weirdness that I've seen is a failure to start the Netflix player a few times on the PS3. In all cases when I went back to the XMB and started it again it worked.

I see that the difference in time of day between the US region and another can work in our favor. I notice that response from Sweden is pretty peppy right now with playback quickly ramping up to the highest bit rate encodes. It's 11 PM here in California but 8 AM there; local demand on Netflix's resources is probably very low biggrin.gif.
post #750 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post


I love the Tomato firmware; it's the only reason I'm still using an ancient Linksys WRT54G with no wireless N support. I don't think that it's been ported to any wireless N routers.

I agree Tomato is great.

I have been running a couple of refurbished E2000's (wireless N routers) with Tomato and WDS to get coverage through my house and property.

I just bought an Asus RT-N66U and couldn't be happier. One router gives me coverage throughout the house (including areas I needed the second WDS router for before) and over my 1 acre property.

The RT-N66U will also run Tomato - however at this point I may stick with the stock firmware as it has many of the features of Tomato and benchmarks show it is faster.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD