or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix adds 3D and Super HD - Page 34

post #991 of 1798
I noticed this last night with my Sony S5100. Now I wish they had kept it the old way. At least then, you knew if it was SuperHD or not with it showing X-High. Now it just shows 1080P HD. There should be a 1080P Super HD.
post #992 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I noticed this last night with my Sony S5100. Now I wish they had kept it the old way. At least then, you knew if it was SuperHD or not with it showing X-High. Now it just shows 1080P HD. There should be a 1080P Super HD.

Is your S5100 getting to 5800 Kbps (as seen when you play "Example Short")? apw2607 noticed that Netflix on his S590 was never getting to "X-High/HD" asked me to check whether it was getting there on my S390. My S390 was getting to 4300 Kbps and stopping there. When I was checking it for the UI upgrade yesterday I noticed that it was still that way. Doesn't bother me since I never use it wink.gif.
post #993 of 1798
How can you check the Kbps while watching netflix?
post #994 of 1798
On LG and Sony Bluray players you can press info button. On Pansonic and Samsung there is no way that I know of. It also works on PS3 and WDTV(per Michaeltscott).
post #995 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Is your S5100 getting to 5800 Kbps (as seen when you play "Example Short")? apw2607 noticed that Netflix on his S590 was never getting to "X-High/HD" asked me to check whether it was getting there on my S390. My S390 was getting to 4300 Kbps and stopping there. When I was checking it for the UI upgrade yesterday I noticed that it was still that way. Doesn't bother me since I never use it wink.gif.

Yes, it shows the 5800Kb/s stream on the example short. I tried it last night after I noticed the info had switched to just showing 1080P. And before that it was showing X-High/HD when it was playing the 5800Kb/s stream.
post #996 of 1798
My BDV-E390(equivalent to s590+speakers) gets stuck at 4300Kbps. Now, of course it shows 1080 HD for that and 3850 KBps. My slim PS3 hadn't changed as of yesterday night. It would show High HD at 3850 and High SD at 4300 and 5800.
post #997 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

On LG and Sony Bluray players you can press info button. On Pansonic and Samsung there is no way that I know of. It also works on PS3 and WDTV(per Michaeltscott).
on my new bdp-s3100 I don't have an info button...I have the display button which shows the timer and the resolution...no actual Kbps just 720 or 1080...is there another button?
post #998 of 1798
That is the right button. It is display in Sony players, I forgot. You are actually getting the info. However, to get the KBps you need to run the "example short 23.976". That shows the actual KBps while running. Otherwise, in normal programming, what you see is all what everyone gets.
post #999 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

That is the right button. It is display in Sony players, I forgot. You are actually getting the info. However, to get the KBps you need to run the "example short 23.976". That shows the actual KBps while running. Otherwise, in normal programming, what you see is all what everyone gets.

ok thanks i'll give it a run tonight
post #1000 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes, it shows the 5800Kb/s stream on the example short. I tried it last night after I noticed the info had switched to just showing 1080P. And before that it was showing X-High/HD when it was playing the 5800Kb/s stream.

Thanks. So whatever the problem is it doesn't extend to the new models.
post #1001 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

My slim PS3 hadn't changed as of yesterday night. It would show High HD at 3850 and High SD at 4300 and 5800.

Jeez--I wonder what makes your PS3 immune to these software updates. What was its UI version again?
post #1002 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Jeez--I wonder what makes your PS3 immune to these software updates. What was its UI version again?
I don't know what it is. After you posted the info on the software version of your PS3, I spent hours on it. First I did a system restore and opted for the quick erase option, downloaded the netflix app and it subsequently upgraded itself but still was older than yours. I posted it earlier I think. I don't remember the number right now. Then I did a system restore again and let it format completely(not the quick option). It took about 9.5 hours to finish. I then downloaded the netflix app, it upgraded itself on first use but still ended up with the same version.
Yesterday after I saw the upgraded app in LG and Sony bluray players, I was hopeful that PS3 app might have been upgraded as well. So, I checked and first several attempts could not run example short 23.976 at all. Finally, late night I could connect and it ramped up quickly to 5800 KBps but the display went from med hd, high hd to high sd. What can I say? Having said that, it it better than seeing just high hd for 3850, 4300 and 5800 KBps. At least I know it went higher than 3850! I seem to be spending more time doing this than actually watching a program on Netflix!
I went back and checked my earlier post: My UI is different from your version, all else is the same. The UI is:
UI Build: Release API.Next2_2013_01_28-26-t.
Edited by Vishwa Somayaji - 3/27/13 at 2:25pm
post #1003 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Jeez--I wonder what makes your PS3 immune to these software updates. What was its UI version again?
Something that is a little odd is the fact that if I run 3D video, it does say X-High HD. So, it can show that but for 2D it doesn't.
post #1004 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Jeez--I wonder what makes your PS3 immune to these software updates. What was its UI version again?

do you have the same PS3? Mike, I remember you saying you have the original. (like myself) They are not the same. My friend has the PS3 slim and his UI version is different from mine and displays the same format as Vishwa's.
post #1005 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

do you have the same PS3? Mike, I remember you saying you have the original. (like myself) They are not the same. My friend has the PS3 slim and his UI version is different from mine and displays the same format as Vishwa's.

Yeah--I have a launch model 60GB "Fat". Vishwa's posted UI version is unique and different from my two most recent PS3 versions. There was a time, though, when the UI on my PS3 was displaying "High/SD" for the Super HD encodes just as his does so it may be that his model PS3 is stuck on that version.
post #1006 of 1798
After spending several hours trying to get the 'new' UI, I gave up. Someday it might do it by itself. After the above post I deleted the neflix app again and reinstalled but no luck. It stayed at the same version.
For anyone interested, my PS3 is CECH 2001A, the slim version.
post #1007 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

After spending several hours trying to get the 'new' UI, I gave up. Someday it might do it by itself. After the above post I deleted the neflix app again and reinstalled but no luck. It stayed at the same version.
For anyone interested, my PS3 is CECH 2001A, the slim version.


The version of the app you get on your PS3 appears to be tied to your account. Not to the specific console you own. Netflix determines which UI your specific console gets-how they decide this is one gigantic mystery.

post #1008 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The version of the app you get on your PS3 appears to be tied to your account. Not to the specific console you own. Netflix determines which UI your specific console gets-how they decide this is one gigantic mystery.

What's your basis for this claim? You have a PS3 of the same model as Vishwa's which has a different UI version or a different model with the same? I know that it was once true back when they were testing several distinct variations of the HTML5/Webkit UI but I'd be surprised if it's still true now that they've standardized on a design.
post #1009 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

After spending several hours trying to get the 'new' UI, I gave up. Someday it might do it by itself. After the above post I deleted the neflix app again and reinstalled but no luck. It stayed at the same version.
For anyone interested, my PS3 is CECH 2001A, the slim version.

yeah, my friend has a slim and it has the same display...I will try and get his UI version later. as I said I dont believe they are the same, if its something thats tied to firmware in the different model PS3s that could be the difference in NF versions.
post #1010 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post


The version of the app you get on your PS3 appears to be tied to your account. Not to the specific console you own. Netflix determines which UI your specific console gets-how they decide this is one gigantic mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

What's your basis for this claim? You have a PS3 of the same model as Vishwa's which has a different UI version or a different model with the same? I know that it was once true back when they were testing several distinct variations of the HTML5/Webkit UI but I'd be surprised if it's still true now that they've standardized on a design.

I'd be surprised too. If so, would love to know the determining factors. all this stuff is crazy, stuff isnt simple anymore...with all technologies, there really isnt a such thing as "standardized" anymore. as I said, on my PS3 I can only play 3D in US version but my friend can do it in all regions and is even able to add titles to his "list" (queue) in other regions.
post #1011 of 1798
It's conceivable (probable) that there is some beta testing of new UI features going on, branched from an earlier UI version with bugs which didn't get fixed when they got fixed in the main branch. That could potentially explain the differences and would be tied to accounts. Vishwa, do you have an option to add items to a "list" in the version of the UI that you're using? Of course, that ability might require you to have an Instant Queue on your main account.
post #1012 of 1798
Yes, I do. I thought I did but I just checked and I have a list and when I select a title, I get the option to add it to the list. I think your theory makes sense. When they test a small cross section of the players like that they never acknowledge anything. When I called Netflix for my display anomaly, they asked me to call Sony. Then I called Sony and they said 'talk to Netflix'. Of course, I then gave up.
post #1013 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The version of the app you get on your PS3 appears to be tied to your account. Not to the specific console you own. Netflix determines which UI your specific console gets-how they decide this is one gigantic mystery.

What's your basis for this claim? You have a PS3 of the same model as Vishwa's which has a different UI version or a different model with the same? I know that it was once true back when they were testing several distinct variations of the HTML5/Webkit UI but I'd be surprised if it's still true now that they've standardized on a design.


I was simply speculating based on all the hoops he's jumped thru-my fault, I should have italized ''appears'' to more strongly highlight that I was guessing. He went through a complete system erase/restore, redownloaded the NF app, and still wound up with the same version. That would suggest that the app communicates the console's model number/serial number, maybe even IP address, back to Netflix, and Netflix checks your account's device history and assigns the version selected based on it's own...whims? Why not just send the latest version, rather than setting the old?

 

I have the PS3 slim, model CECH 2501A, and the NF app displays the new bitrate counter.  And the app does identify the console's serial number.counter. With that, they could assign the UI of their choice to that particular unitl.


Edited by Westly-C - 3/31/13 at 4:49pm
post #1014 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

...Netflix checks your account's device history and assigns the version selected based on it's own...whims? Why not just send the latest version, rather than setting the old?

In my last post I speculate that they're doing it to beta test new UI features. When they do that they'll typically create a new source branch and add the experimental features to it. When bugs are fixed or new features added in the main branch the changes probably won't get propogated to the experimental development branches; the features being tested in those experimental branches may or may not eventually get merged into the main branch. In this case both Vishwa's and synistr's friend's PS3s' Netflix UIs have an "Add to List" or somesuch option for titles, similar to the "Add to Instant Queue" feature available only to US accounts. This type of beta version would be distributed to specific machines registered to specific accounts, chosen, hopefully, more or less at random. You might have multiple machines of the same model registered to your Netflix account with only one of them running the beta UI version.
post #1015 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

In my last post I speculate that they're doing it to beta test new UI features. When they do that they'll typically create a new source branch and add the experimental features to it. When bugs are fixed or new features added in the main branch the changes probably won't get propogated to the experimental development branches; the features being tested in those experimental branches may or may not eventually get merged into the main branch. In this case both Vishwa's and synistr's friend's PS3s' Netflix UIs have an "Add to List" or somesuch option for titles, similar to the "Add to Instant Queue" feature available only to US accounts. This type of beta version would be distributed to specific machines registered to specific accounts, chosen, hopefully, more or less at random. You might have multiple machines of the same model registered to your Netflix account with only one of them running the beta UI version.

that version though seems superior as we have no "add to list" and as I mentioned, it plays titles in 3D that dont have the badge. I am not sure if this has anything to do with why I am unable to play 3D titles for regions beyond the U.S. though.
post #1016 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

that version though seems superior as we have no "add to list"

I think that it's just a surrogate for "Add to Instant Queue" in non-US regions. I wonder--if you're using another region with a US account, do you get "Add to List" and if so, is the list your IQ or something that you can't access when you're in the US region?

Vishwa, can you post photos of the "List" and the "Add to List" option? Thanks.
post #1017 of 1798
Here they are. I hope they attach OK.
post #1018 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

Here they are. I hope they attach OK.

Thanks Vishwa. The List does seem to be directly analogous to the Instant Queue in the US. Is there any sign of the List when you visit Netflix's site? In the US region "Instant Queue" is one of the choices on the big red banner at the top of the main page. If you enter a title's description are there "Add to List" or "+List" buttons?
post #1019 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Thanks Vishwa. The List does seem to be directly analogous to the Instant Queue in the US. Is there any sign of the List when you visit Netflix's site? In the US region "Instant Queue" is one of the choices on the big red banner at the top of the main page. If you enter a title's description are there "Add to List" or "+List" buttons?

I'll bet it isnt. I'll bet this is on only specific UI versions and not the web.
post #1020 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I think that it's just a surrogate for "Add to Instant Queue" in non-US regions. I wonder--if you're using another region with a US account, do you get "Add to List" and if so, is the list your IQ or something that you can't access when you're in the US region?

Vishwa, can you post photos of the "List" and the "Add to List" option? Thanks.

remember, my friend is U.S. like me. when in the U.S. region (using Unblock) it shows "add to queue" in other regions it says "add to list" it was funny because he kept asking me did I have that and I said no....the only way I could really keep up with stuff in other regions was to play a title so it would show up in "recently watched"

yes, it is a surrogate, but I still cannot figure out why I cannot play titles in other regions in 3D. there are some definite differences in PS3 versions. (FYI, my friend can play 3D titles in other regions. He has 10Mbps down connection, I cannot, I have 50Mbps down connection, and we both have the same ISP, so its not internet related)

so Vishwa, those screenshots are from which region and I am assuming your account is Canada?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix adds 3D and Super HD