or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Official Wii U discussion thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 14

post #391 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

They could be figuring that the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft will garner the most attention, and so instead of competing on that front focus on their own Nintendo Direct presentations instead. Can't say I'm terribly surprised myself....

But isn't that basically conceding defeat, that they can't even hang on the same stage? I think its crazy - the Nintendo Direct presentations create about as much excitement and buzz as an infomercial. Why would they want to turn a way a room full of press eager to give them free advertising?
post #392 of 1281
Probably because it's not free.
post #393 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Probably because it's not free.

You mean the cost of the presentation?
post #394 of 1281
Yup.

And hell, no one else waited til E3 to announce their new box. Xbox is going next month, PS did it a few weeks ago. I think apple's big, dramatic press conferences have become popular and now no big names are bothering with trade shows. Nintendo Direct doesn't spread into the mainstream press in the same way, but it does get headlines in the game blogs.

Also E3 is goofy as hell. Rehearsals and scripts keep these morons from saying "giant enemy crab" and having someone play a drum solo on Wii Music.
post #395 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Yup.

And hell, no one else waited til E3 to announce their new box. Xbox is going next month, PS did it a few weeks ago. I think apple's big, dramatic press conferences have become popular and now no big names are bothering with trade shows. Nintendo Direct doesn't spread into the mainstream press in the same way, but it does get headlines in the game blogs.

Also E3 is goofy as hell. Rehearsals and scripts keep these morons from saying "giant enemy crab" and having someone play a drum solo on Wii Music.

I can understand if they want to pre-empt E3, and carve out their own noise free block of time. But they didnt even set a date. And it was that mainstream press that was responsible for getting the word out on the original Wii to everyone that wasnt a gamer. They're not even trying to get their attention now?

They don't need to bring out miyamoto in a monkey suit, but at least put your games front and center, and let them sell themselves, like activision and EA do. You get a room full of like minded people together, and its like an amplifier. Show something great and people get caught up in Nintendo fever. Show something meh, and its like a plague that spreads. Last year's press conference probably did them more harm than good - so if they're checking out from it this year, they lack confidence in their lineup and expect the same reaction. This doesn't seem like some savvy grassroots strategy to me, it just reeks of damage control.
post #396 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I can understand if they want to pre-empt E3, and carve out their own noise free block of time. But they didnt even set a date. And it was that mainstream press that was responsible for getting the word out on the original Wii to everyone that wasnt a gamer. They're not even trying to get their attention now?

They don't need to bring out miyamoto in a monkey suit, but at least put your games front and center, and let them sell themselves, like activision and EA do. You get a room full of like minded people together, and its like an amplifier. Show something great and people get caught up in Nintendo fever. Show something meh, and its like a plague that spreads. Last year's press conference probably did them more harm than good - so if they're checking out from it this year, they lack confidence in their lineup and expect the same reaction. This doesn't seem like some savvy grassroots strategy to me, it just reeks of damage control.

couldn't agree more.
post #397 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

hooray! check out my goofy pictures! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlWzTooZg
Whoa, your drawings are pretty good! I'm gonna have to friend you if you don't mind. Pretty much the only thing in my Miiverse activity feed is speed runs etc. by whoever runs the NSMBWU community (which are admittedly pretty compelling).

I'm in the camp that thinks Nintendo essentially skipping E3 in favor of more Directs is probably a smart move. I don't need another hour of Reggie talking about Wii Music U or whatever. The Directs get the information across much more efficiently and are plenty capable of creating buzz depending on the content (look at all the talk surrounding the recent 3DS-centric one). These big presentations are slowly becoming an excuse for game "journalists" to snark on them, and like others have said, there's no way they're taking much spotlight from Microsoft this year regardless of what they bring to the table.

And again, they are NOT doing a price-drop anytime soon. To do so so soon after the 3DS one would basically kill their pricing credibility forever. Also, again, despite the torrents of negative press the Wii U is way too soon to call. Yes, it's doing poorly compared to the original Wii, but so does literally everything that's not the original Wii.
post #398 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

But isn't that basically conceding defeat, that they can't even hang on the same stage? I think its crazy - the Nintendo Direct presentations create about as much excitement and buzz as an infomercial. Why would they want to turn a way a room full of press eager to give them free advertising?

I really can't say with any authority what strategies are circulating around in their head where this is concerned. If all they would be introducing at E3 is the next Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros or whatever else, while that will certainly please the Nintendo faithful the larger community has been starved for new hardware and I have to think that will take center stage.
Edited by dragonyeuw - 4/25/13 at 9:44am
post #399 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I really can't say with any authority what strategies are circulating around in their head where this is concerned. If all they would be introducing at E3 is the next Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros or whatever else, while that will certainly please the Nintendo faithful the larger community has been starved for new hardware and I have to think that will take center stage.

There no question the new consoles take center stage - but the Wii U is still a new console. I would think they'd want to do anything they can to get across the message that Wii U stands proud aside them. They shouldn't be backing down, they should be stepping up. They're mother ****ing Nintendo, not some indie publisher who will get lost in the noise. They make the noise that drowns everyone else out!

Pre-empting them by a few days/weeks might be the right choice, if they truly believe their hand is so weak that they can't risk a direct comparison. But that's not a win, that's mitigating a loss. I just can't find any silver lining here.
post #400 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

There no question the new consoles take center stage - but the Wii U is still a new console. I would think they'd want to do anything they can to get across the message that Wii U stands proud aside them. They shouldn't be backing down, they should be stepping up. They're mother ****ing Nintendo, not some indie publisher who will get lost in the noise. They make the noise that drowns everyone else out!

Pre-empting them by a few days/weeks might be the right choice, if they truly believe their hand is so weak that they can't risk a direct comparison. But that's not a win, that's mitigating a loss. I just can't find any silver lining here.

As I said before I really can't speak to what their strategy is, it was just speculation on my end( baseless at that). One of their reps has already admitted that they've dropped the ball in terms of effectively marketing the Wii U and getting out first party titles in a timely manner, maybe they feel the Directs serve their purpose better. Again, I really don't know.....
post #401 of 1281
E3 is a dinosaur. Neither Sony or MS waited to debut their console there because its no longer necessary with so many ways to connect to your audience. Not only is it unnecessary, the conferences have sucked for years. The presentations are trying to communicate to too many audiences and are largely a boring mess because of it. Then we get the media garbage about "Who won e3?". About the only thing I care about e3 for is the direct feed footage of new games that follows.

And in video games today, the Rayman Legends challenges is up on the eshop.
post #402 of 1281
We're also (supposedly) getting that big firmware update tonight.
post #403 of 1281
Is the update confirmed to be for tonight?
post #404 of 1281
Over the last two years Nintendo has proven that their pre/post-E3 Nintendo Direct broadcasts have been more effective at delivering their message than E3 itself. Ignoring E3 says nothing about the health of Nintendo, nor of their confidence in the Wii U. It simply says that E3 is irrelevant to Nintendo's goals, which is pretty obvious.

Any excuse to claim doom 'n' gloom, huh guys?
post #405 of 1281
Wii U system update is live. I am downloading it now. 673MB.
post #406 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoozen 
Wii U was lukewarm at launch and has cooled to room temperature since then.

The Wii U was on fire at launch, better than the PS2, almost as good as the Wii. It just crashed once 2013 hit. The 43 days of 2012 it was on sale were amazing. Just want to clear that up.
post #407 of 1281
Downloading the update! For anyone else confused, it's found under the Settings menu, not under Download Management like I was for some reason expecting.

According to Neogaf the update also contains a fix for overscan (new "screen size" option in Settings).
post #408 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Downloading the update! For anyone else confused, it's found under the Settings menu, not under Download Management like I was for some reason expecting.

According to Neogaf the update also contains a fix for overscan (new "screen size" option in Settings).

Yeah, It's weird how that update box was always there and the download status always said downloading. The box isn't there anymore after the update.

The update took me about an hour to download and install. Games still don't load quickly, but everything else seems cut in half. It still isn't what I'd call snappy, but it's an improvement. The one exception is the browser, that's super quick to open and close now.
post #409 of 1281
If any of you use Wii mode semi frequently, there's a shortcut by holding a controller button at startup to boot directly into it now.
Edited by Leo_Ames - 4/26/13 at 2:51am
post #410 of 1281
Update installed. Only played around with it a bit so far, but games definitely seem to load much quicker now. Booting up NSMB always used to put me just slightly in "Hang on, did it freeze on the loading screen?" territory. I'd say it's at least twice as fast now. Returning to the home menu is still sluggish, but even that seems a bit better. I'll be interested to see what the second update brings. I used to consider the Wii U OS borderline unusable due to the slowness. I'd still call it a bit sluggish, but if this was as good as it was gonna get I'd probably be fine with it.

Apparently this update also fixed the constant disc-spin issue, too. It also now can continuing downloading software updates even after powered off (added a new standby mode), and apparently the next update will bring full, 3DS-style spotpass (i.e., while you sleep, without prompting) update downloading. Nice.

Edit: Before/after load time comparisons from GoNintendo: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201237 Long story short, roughly 40-50% faster across the board, EXCEPT for System Settings. (Man, what is it with System Settings?)
Edited by ThisOneKidMongo - 4/25/13 at 8:14pm
post #411 of 1281
Honestly I got used to the load times. Being able to boot to Wii mode with the B button is pretty good. The universal screen size setting is great. It used to have no overscan, except in wii mode, so there'd be a big black border in wii mode, or missing edges everywhere else.

Data transfer got better, but I am still bewildered by it. I want to move Runner 2 (800MB) off my usb stick. I have 1000MB free space on the drive, and now it says I need 1050 to move Runner 2 onto the disk.
post #412 of 1281
" For anyone else confused, it's found under the Settings menu, not under Download Management like I was for some reason expecting."

It showed up in Download Management just fine here. It probably just hadn't propagated to all the servers at the time you had checked.
post #413 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Wii U was on fire at launch, better than the PS2, almost as good as the Wii. It just crashed once 2013 hit. The 43 days of 2012 it was on sale were amazing. Just want to clear that up.


I'm not arguing that it was a dud, but even with all the new console hype the Nov/Dec sales weren't tearing up the charts. It sold just a touch better than the $599 PS3 debacle... and way worse than GCN in the same time period




I expect it'll do fine -Nintendo is never going to fail with the wealth of first party games they can blast out to audiences- but it might take a while (aka GAMEZ!) and a price drop before it truly hit the "on fire" stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Downloading the update! For anyone else confused, it's found under the Settings menu, not under Download Management like I was for some reason expecting.

According to Neogaf the update also contains a fix for overscan (new "screen size" option in Settings).

Out of curiosity, how long did the update take to download and install?
post #414 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Out of curiosity, how long did the update take to download and install?
Hm, I didn't take out a stopwatch or anything, but given that I got through last night's DVRed Community and Parks & Rec episodes while waiting, I'd say about 45 minutes from start to finish. Which isn't great, but probably a lot of people were downloading the update at the same time.
post #415 of 1281
That chart actually proves my point voodoozen, the first 43 days make up almost all of the sales on that chart, every other system maintained momentum through the entire 3 months, if the Wii U had maintained momentum it would have surpassed the Wii due to better supply.
post #416 of 1281
Let's just pretend for a moment that this is true: http://www.wiikey.com/news/
Quote:
WiikeÜ - Its True!

[2013.05.01]

Yes, its real - we have now completely reversed the WiiU drive authentification, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation K3y. Stay tuned for updates!


Could this mean region free Wii U or USB loading? Question is would this be a disaster or selling point... PSP hardware took off after homebrew (at least in the west), but with the Wii already wide open I can't see this being a real advantage for Nintendo. If they only target disc drive emulation... it's piracy only (which would suck big time, like the $@*ng cheaters on Mario Kart online). Could be cool to get homebrew apps that aren't available yet, tho... DLNA streaming for one.


Once there's a library similar in scope and variety as the 3DS Wii U should start picking up and hit its stride, but if Wii U is honestly hacked I see digital sales going down and updates constantly.
Edited by voodoozen - 4/30/13 at 6:31am
post #417 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Let's just pretend for a moment that this is true: http://www.wiikey.com/news/
Could this mean region free Wii U or USB loading? Question is would this be a disaster or selling point... PSP hardware took off after homebrew (at least in the west), but with the Wii already wide open I can't see this being a real advantage for Nintendo. If they only target disc drive emulation... it's piracy only (which would suck big time, like the $@*ng cheaters on Mario Kart online). Could be cool to get homebrew apps that aren't available yet, tho... DLNA streaming for one.


Once there's a library similar in scope and variety as the 3DS Wii U should start picking up and hit its stride, but if Wii U is honestly hacked I see digital sales going down and updates constantly.

Sounds like piracy only to me, for now at least. It might sell them a few consoles, but piracy didnt exactly help the dreamcast survive....so this is real, real bad news for Nintendo.
post #418 of 1281
Hopefully they can combat it with firmware updates and changes in future releases if it becomes a problem.
post #419 of 1281
"Could this mean region free Wii U or USB loading?"

Wii U already does USB loading. You buy the game from the eShop install it to your external hard drive. I do it all the time. The only point of your linked device is piracy. Pretending otherwise is simply dishonest.
post #420 of 1281
Nintendo says they aint got ****
Quote:
However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-30-group-responsible-for-first-wii-mod-chip-claims-to-have-hacked-wii-u-to-play-copied-games

And I don't know what they'd pirate anyway
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Official Wii U discussion thread.