or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 36

post #1051 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

There is no 2ch analog on 5100, or anything analog.
LOL.Must have been thinking of the 590. I guess if you need analog, you better stick with an older player.
post #1052 of 2898
what was the exact thing about mpeg2 and aac or ac3 audio playing in an m2ts file on the 5100 and not the 590 ?

I just used iFFmpeg to take an mp4 file and convert it to m2ts with mepg 2 and ac3 for audio. It's at 720p HD and both the 5100 and the 590 are able to stream it via DLNA without transcoding using Serviio, and from usb. with no issues, so i'm not exactly sure why people are saying the 5100 can play mpeg2 in m2ts and the older models can't, both my players play fine at native res..

Have I missunderstood what people have said?
post #1053 of 2898
I just got the S5100 and when I tried to play a HD youtube video, it didn't stream it in HD. Anyone know whether HD youtube videos are supported by this player?
post #1054 of 2898
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

what was the exact thing about mpeg2 and aac or ac3 audio playing in an m2ts file on the 5100 and not the 590 ?

I just used iFFmpeg to take an mp4 file and convert it to m2ts with mepg 2 and ac3 for audio. It's at 720p HD and both the 5100 and the 590 are able to stream it via DLNA without transcoding using Serviio, and from usb. with no issues, so i'm not exactly sure why people are saying the 5100 can play mpeg2 in m2ts and the older models can't, both my players play fine at native res..

Have I missunderstood what people have said?

Both the 590 and 5100 can play MPEG2 video in M2TS containers
Only the 5100 apparently can play MPEG2 video in MKV containers (i've personally not tried this). The 590 currently doesn't support MPEG2 in MKV.
post #1055 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Both the 590 and 5100 can play MPEG2 video in M2TS containers
Only the 5100 apparently can play MPEG2 video in MKV containers (i've personally not tried this). The 590 currently doesn't support MPEG2 in MKV.

OK, I'll give the mkv a shot just to see, sorry missunderstood the container type

Did the tests converted the same file from mp4 to mkv that i used in the m2ts test with AC3 as the audio, you are correct, the 590 gave the message corrupt or unsupported for this file on both usb, and DLNA, while the 5100 played it without a problem. Anyway good to know the newer unit has one more file type I can play, if i need it.
Edited by MacinMan - 8/5/13 at 3:46pm
post #1056 of 2898
Quick question I hope.. I seem to get the simple 'BD Rom' green play icon at the bottom left of the screen most times using my new Sony BDP-S5100. How do I make it display the full time line bar that shows the total length and how much time has elapsed when I pause or hit play?
post #1057 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

How many speakers does a sound bar typically have? Wouldn't 2 CH analog work fine?

One of my S5100s is connected to a Sony 2.1 speaker bar. That has two speakers in the bar plus a subwoofer. But that uses HDMI. It can handle the HD audio codecs and 7.1 pcm.

I previously had a Sony 3.1 speaker bar which had a center channel speaker as well in the bar. I preferred that but even though it had HDMI and could handle 7.1 pcm audio, it could not decode the advanced audio codecs like the Sony 2.1 speaker bar can. So that got moved to the bedroom.
post #1058 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

Quick question I hope.. I seem to get the simple 'BD Rom' green play icon at the bottom left of the screen most times using my new Sony BDP-S5100. How do I make it display the full time line bar that shows the total length and how much time has elapsed when I pause or hit play?

Hit the display button on remote anytime while playing will bring up the information you wanted.
post #1059 of 2898
I really would want to know if the Sony BDP-S5100 has CINAVIA. Can I play DVDs recorded and files downloaded from the internet normally?

Can someone answer me?
post #1060 of 2898
When I'm playing a disc and I press stop to get to the player's menu (to alter settings etc) how do I resume the disc from where I left off? I assumed simply pressing "return" would do it - but that does nothing from the main player menu.

Do I have to navigate to the disc icon on the cross bar and press enter? (When I did this, it seemed to reinitialise as if I'd just inserted the disc).
post #1061 of 2898
When watching netflix super hd 5.1 titles on te S5100 does the display button report the correct info anyone? I just got this player and it is reporting stereo when I have been watching House of Cards. My receiver seems to think its getting Dolby digital + so someone is reporting incorrectly. I tried several other titles that said 5.1 and they display as stereo (primary). Weird.
post #1062 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc4me View Post

When watching netflix super hd 5.1 titles on te S5100 does the display button report the correct info anyone? I just got this player and it is reporting stereo when I have been watching House of Cards. My receiver seems to think its getting Dolby digital + so someone is reporting incorrectly. I tried several other titles that said 5.1 and they display as stereo (primary). Weird.

Just a bug in the Netflix app; multiple people have reported it. As long as you can see that the stream is actually DD+, nothing to worry about.
post #1063 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcdo View Post

I really would want to know if the Sony BDP-S5100 has CINAVIA. Can I play DVDs recorded and files downloaded from the internet normally?

Can someone answer me?

CINAVIA is only implemented for playback from optical media. Use DLNA / USB instead.
post #1064 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonnen View Post

When I'm playing a disc and I press stop to get to the player's menu (to alter settings etc) how do I resume the disc from where I left off? I assumed simply pressing "return" would do it - but that does nothing from the main player menu.

Do I have to navigate to the disc icon on the cross bar and press enter? (When I did this, it seemed to reinitialise as if I'd just inserted the disc).

Resume is disc-dependent, so unless re-selecting the disc gives you an option to resume playback, you're out of luck.
post #1065 of 2898
I'm new to the Cinavia technology, I know it's been out for a while, however I've just seen more and more references to it lately.

What exactly does it affect ? I have copied commercial DVDs before, and I haven't had any issues playing the copy on a stand alone unit such as these Sony devices.

Is it blu-ray only? i have no way to copy BD discs, so i may never have any problems regarding it. I was just curious.
post #1066 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Hit the display button on remote anytime while playing will bring up the information you wanted.
Thanks... that's what I get for using the universal-remote. Guess the 'info' button isn't programmed the same as it was on the old BD player. I'll have to modify the 'Info' button to activate the 'Display'.
post #1067 of 2898
Cinavia has only been implemented on a couple of BDs. For some reason people think its going to end all their pirating. It won't. It's meant to stop people from reselling pirated blurays. So feel free to keep stealing or, god forbid, pay a buck to rent a disc now and then.
post #1068 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc4me View Post

When watching netflix super hd 5.1 titles on te S5100 does the display button report the correct info anyone? I just got this player and it is reporting stereo when I have been watching House of Cards. My receiver seems to think its getting Dolby digital + so someone is reporting incorrectly. I tried several other titles that said 5.1 and they display as stereo (primary). Weird.

It doesn't report Super HD. It will only report 1080HD which applies to the 3800kbps stream as well as the two SuperHD stream bitrates.
post #1069 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Cinavia has only been implemented on a couple of BDs. For some reason people think its going to end all their pirating. It won't. It's meant to stop people from reselling pirated blurays. So feel free to keep stealing or, god forbid, pay a buck to rent a disc now and then.

You can and entitled to make a backup copy of the BD disc you own. So, it is not all for stealing/pirating. Cinavia blocked this legitimate consumer's right.
post #1070 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You can and entitled to make a backup copy of the BD disc you own. So, it is not all for stealing/pirating. Cinavia blocked this legitimate consumer's right.
I agree, but the encryption that's been on commercial discs since the beginning has also done this. We are just lucky someone has figured out a way to break it up until now. If you want to continue making archival copies of the discs you own, you can still do that. You just can't burn them back to an optical disc.

However, the OP was specifically referring to his ability to play pirated/stolen content:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcdo View Post

...Can I play...files downloaded from the internet...?
post #1071 of 2898
So in short, this player can play copied DVDs? I live in Brazil, so many imported DVDs don't sell here, I could only downloading from the internet, so I need to know.
post #1072 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcdo View Post

So in short, this player can play copied DVDs? I live in Brazil, so many imported DVDs don't sell here, I could only downloading from the internet, so I need to know.
It will not play a copied disc with a Cinavia watermark. No player made since 2012 will. If you need to play such discs, get an older player. If you are simply playing internet downloads, don't burn them to disc. Play them directly from USB or DLNA as suggested earlier.
post #1073 of 2898
Ok, but this Cinavia watermark will only work for new DVDs recorded, right?

DVDs recorded and copied before 2012 will play perfectly, right?
Edited by rlcdo - 8/6/13 at 8:39am
post #1074 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcdo View Post

Ok, but this Cinavia watermark will only work for new DVDs recorded, right?

DVDs recorded and copied before 2012 will play perfectly, right?
There are some Cinavia titles from 2011, although players weren't required to block them until 2012. You'll need to do some more research to determine exactly what studios and titles were affected. I've run across several lists in the past, so that shouldn't be hard to find.
post #1075 of 2898
And this player, Sony BDP-S5100, plays SACD?
post #1076 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcdo View Post

And this player, Sony BDP-S5100, plays SACD?

SACD yes, SACD-R no.
post #1077 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Resume is disc-dependent, so unless re-selecting the disc gives you an option to resume playback, you're out of luck.
To add, on some disks, hitting the GREEN button will set a bookmark. If there is no auto-bookmarking on a restart, you may need to search the chapters menu to see if there is a bookmarks entry. On many Universal disks, you have to hit the Up arrow after starting to play to pop up an expanded bar, then down arrow to the bar, then up or down or left or whatever to select the teeny-tiny green marker for your bookmark.
post #1078 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Resume is disc-dependent, so unless re-selecting the disc gives you an option to resume playback, you're out of luck.

Thanks for that.

I've now noticed that using the "pop-up menu" button gets me to a quick menu that allows for some video settings to be altered whilst not exiting the movie - so that's good.

I guess going back to the main player menu during a movie won't be a regular occurrence - it's just while I'm configuring the player to get the audio and video settings to correctly to match my equipment that I needed to do that.
post #1079 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It doesn't report Super HD. It will only report 1080HD which applies to the 3800kbps stream as well as the two SuperHD stream bitrates.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. I though super hd was a fancy Netflix name for 1080p? I think the display button is reporting the video quality properly its just the audio that's incorrect. Above someone said this has already been reported an I'm not the only one. How do we report it to Sony to get it fixed?
post #1080 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc4me View Post

I'm not exactly sure what that means. I though super hd was a fancy Netflix name for 1080p? I think the display button is reporting the video quality properly its just the audio that's incorrect. Above someone said this has already been reported an I'm not the only one. How do we report it to Sony to get it fixed?

There are now three 1080p streams:
3800 kbps --> Regular HD
4300 kbps --> Super HD
5800 kbps --> Super HD

As for audio information, it is not exactly wrong. If you look carefully, it says (primary audio). For most Netflix titles, primary audio track is probably 2.0 only. 5.1 is secondary. I don't know why 5100 does this way because last year's 590 displays audio information just fine (with the exception that it won't display 5800 super HD).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100