or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 60

post #1771 of 2907
Thanks. That was my next guess... that maybe it was a resolution issue. I'll give it a shot.
Edited by htevolution - 11/8/13 at 1:00pm
post #1772 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Not sure why you would spend 2-3 mins fast-forwarding when FF x3 gets you to the end of a 2 hour mkv in seconds. You're correct though, there is no easy way to skip to a specific time stamp.

"no easy way?" So, you imply that there is a way to seek to a specific timepoint? Why are you so cryptic, if you know of a way, please post the details.

You're correct that I can skip to the end of an mkv in around 30 seconds, but with some m2ts files, the process does take 3 minutes even on the FF 3 setting.

That's another nitpick: Why can't Sony offer FF options like, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, up to 128x like other players do? Are they trying to "dumb down" the interface?

What I LOVE about this player is that it plays *any* media I throw at it, it has a birate meter, it is smooth and updates rapidly when FF and REW, and that it plays VC1 and MPEG2 codecs within the mkv container! And, it recognizes my 4tb drive, as of the M14.R.0163 firmware.

It has all these awesome features. I paid $35 for the player. Why can't it have a proper timesearch function, yet it has superfluous ones. like "Start title from beginning"? Will it do any good to yank Sony's arm on this issue?
post #1773 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

"no easy way?" So, you imply that there is a way to seek to a specific timepoint? Why are you so cryptic, if you know of a way, please post the details.

I was not trying to be cryptic. Before I figured out a way to fix FF/REW functionality broken in some MKVs and if I had to FF such an MKV, I would just split the file into two at a specific time stamp, which took me less than 30 seconds. I'm not saying that this workaround is convenient, but this option is always available.
post #1774 of 2907
Thanks for the clarification. I suspect that those mkvs which you couldn't FF or REW had missing or broken index tables. Other players can FF them at 2x only. Instead of breaking them in two, try to remux with mkvmerge, which should create a new mkv with a good index table (at the end of the file).

Power consumption of the S-1100 is fantastic! Only consumes around 6-7 W! I commend Sony for this! I'm so torn on this player.

Right now, it's looking like I'll need to switch to the LG BP300 player which does support very easy and convenient timesearch by specific timecode in all media files. Not sure about 4tb HDD support. Also not sure if Cinavia is disabled by DNLA playback, as seems to have been reported in this forum is the case on the BDP S-3100. That LG even supports FF and REW in mkvs with broken or missing index tables. No bitrate meter, though.

To me, the BDP S1100 seems in some ways better than even an Oppo 103. Upconverting is wanting, as are analog audio connections, but otherwise, Oppo has little gong for it, at least in Media playback support.
post #1775 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

Instead of breaking them in two, try to remux with mkvmerge, which should create a new mkv with a good index table (at the end of the file).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Before I figured out a way to fix FF/REW functionality broken in some MKVs...
post #1776 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post

Actually (and I just learned this) that's not quite right either. For DTS formats, including Master Audio HD, it does decode to PCM 5.1/7.1, but not for Dolby formats. Only PCM 2.0 for Dolby Digital, Digital Plus, and true HD. So weird. It has something to do with Sony not wanting to pay licensing to Dolby labs.




I don't get over to this part of the forum much but I just bought a Sony BDP-S5100 to replace a Panasonic player that I liked but started having issues not being able to play certain disks.

Anyway, setup the Sony last night and I notice on movies I get "PCM" on the receiver. Does this mean I'm getting the exact same sound as DTS Master Audio HD or Dolby True HD or is that a bad thing that it gets decoded to PCM?

I also get little pops coming out of my subs when the sound format switches to PCM which is annoying.

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.
post #1777 of 2907
I'm considering purchasing a BDP-S5100. I noticed this note concerning the Network Update at Sony e-Support - "You will need to connect the Blu-ray Disc player to your Internet source using an Ethernet cable." Does this mean that software/firmware updates to the player cannot be performed over wi-fi?

Also, is it correct that the BDP-S5100 cannot be updated using a USB device?
post #1778 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

I'm considering purchasing a BDP-S5100. I noticed this note concerning the Network Update at Sony e-Support - "You will need to connect the Blu-ray Disc player to your Internet source using an Ethernet cable." Does this mean that software/firmware updates to the player cannot be performed over wi-fi?
No
Quote:
Also, is it correct that the BDP-S5100 cannot be updated using a USB device?
Yes
post #1779 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't get over to this part of the forum much but I just bought a Sony BDP-S5100 to replace a Panasonic player that I liked but started having issues not being able to play certain disks.

Anyway, setup the Sony last night and I notice on movies I get "PCM" on the receiver. Does this mean I'm getting the exact same sound as DTS Master Audio HD or Dolby True HD or is that a bad thing that it gets decoded to PCM?

I also get little pops coming out of my subs when the sound format switches to PCM which is annoying.

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.
Need to know how your player is connected to your receiver and what all the sound settings on your player are. It is possible with certain settings and connections that you will only get 2.0 PCM.
Edited by mdavej - 11/9/13 at 10:29am
post #1780 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Need to know how your player is connected to your receiver and what all the sound settings on your player are. It is possible with certain settings and connections that you will only get 2.0 PCM.

Connected through HDMI. I didn't change any settings of the receiver (Pioneer Elite vsx 53) from when I had it hooked up to the Panasonic Blu Ray player.

thanks
post #1781 of 2907
I tried some more disks, it will say Dolby True HD, so it's just DTS master audio that says pcm I take it? Sony not wanting to pay for that name but the sound will be the same? If so, no worries right?
post #1782 of 2907
Hmmmm dolby tru hd movies have the same volume I'm accustomed to. Reference sounds like reference. However, when playing dts ma the sound is much quieter. Reference sounds more like -10 or even lower than it did with the exact same disks. This can't be right...
post #1783 of 2907
It sounds like there is some kind of dynamic range limiter on when the receiver says "pcm" for dts ma movies. I can't find anything like that in the settings of the sony player.
post #1784 of 2907
Sounds like not all the PCM settings were changed on the BD Player. (3 settings, if I'm correct?)
post #1785 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Sounds like not all the PCM settings were changed on the BD Player. (3 settings, if I'm correct?)


I don't see 3 options in the menu, all I see is the option for PCM or Auto.



I posted the same issue in my room thread and I was told that PCM is just fine, but it is 4db's less than DTS MA or Dolby true HD.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478065/carps-basement/60#post_23929844

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478065/carps-basement/30#post_23929800
post #1786 of 2907
I have the COSTCO version of the 5100, so settings might be a tad different.
#1 - Digital Audio Output - Auto
#2 - BD Audio MMX Setting - Off
#3 - DTS Neo 6 - Cinema (May or May not be required)
Possibly this - it's on my 790 - Dolby/DTS - Bitstream
post #1787 of 2907
As soon as I turned off Deep Color the sparkles stopped. I turned it back to auto and they were there again. I then tried it at 10bit and no sparkles so I'm happy with that.
post #1788 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Also, is it correct that the BDP-S5100 cannot be updated using a USB device?
If you can't do it over the network, you can burn a CD or DVD with an upgrade image.
post #1789 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't see 3 options in the menu, all I see is the option for PCM or Auto.
Do you have dynamic compression turned off?

As I said before, for DTS formats it will decode to multichannel PCM, and you get the exact audio that is on the disc. For Dolby formats, it decodes to stereo PCM only. This is because Sony is lame and didn't want to pay Dolby some licensing fees.

Having said that, it will bitstream whatever is on the disc, so your receiver can decode it, but a lot of older receivers out there can't decode those high-res codecs, and even some receivers that can decode them don't have the processing power to apply room correction like Audyssey to a bitstrem, but can apply it to a multichannel PCM signal. So all in all, it's a bummer.
post #1790 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I have the COSTCO version of the 5100, so settings might be a tad different.
#1 - Digital Audio Output - Auto
#2 - BD Audio MMX Setting - Off
#3 - DTS Neo 6 - Cinema (May or May not be required)
Possibly this - it's on my 790 - Dolby/DTS - Bitstream


I have the same settings for #1 and #2, not sure about #3 but I'll check - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post

Do you have dynamic compression turned off?

As I said before, for DTS formats it will decode to multichannel PCM, and you get the exact audio that is on the disc. For Dolby formats, it decodes to stereo PCM only. This is because Sony is lame and didn't want to pay Dolby some licensing fees.

Having said that, it will bitstream whatever is on the disc, so your receiver can decode it, but a lot of older receivers out there can't decode those high-res codecs, and even some receivers that can decode them don't have the processing power to apply room correction like Audyssey to a bitstrem, but can apply it to a multichannel PCM signal. So all in all, it's a bummer.


One of the first things I did when I set this thing up was look for an option in the players menu for dynamic compression and I didn't see one.

I think I might just send this player back and get another brand that doesn't have this issue just to make sure I'm getting the best audio possible. However, I'll check one more time in the menu to see if there is an option for dynamic compression that I didn't see before.


thanks again guys
post #1791 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

If you can't do it over the network, you can burn a CD or DVD with an upgrade image.

Yes, that was the one and only way to do it on my Sony BDP-S1, although it required DVD-Rs for the job, so I'm very familiar. I was just hoping that the BDP-S5100's USB input could be used for updates as I can do with my other Blu-ray player. It seems like it would be easy enough for the S5100 to read the same update files from a USB drive that it does from an update disc. Too bad Sony didn't include that capability. Thanks!
post #1792 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I have the same settings for #1 and #2, not sure about #3 but I'll check - thanks.
One of the first things I did when I set this thing up was look for an option in the players menu for dynamic compression and I didn't see one.


thanks again guys

The compression setting is called "DRC" The default is Auto I believe, so if you haven't found the setting, you definitely are getting some compression. Hope this solves your problem!
post #1793 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I have the same settings for #1 and #2, not sure about #3 but I'll check - thanks.
One of the first things I did when I set this thing up was look for an option in the players menu for dynamic compression and I didn't see one.

I think I might just send this player back and get another brand that doesn't have this issue just to make sure I'm getting the best audio possible. However, I'll check one more time in the menu to see if there is an option for dynamic compression that I didn't see before.


thanks again guys

What you're looking for is on Page 28 of the Operating Instructions under [Audio Settings]:
Quote:
x [Audio DRC]
[Auto]: Performs playback at the dynamic range specified by the disc (BD-ROM only). Other discs are played back at the [On] level.
[On]: Performs playback at a standard compression level.
[Off]: No compression works. A more dynamic sound is produced.
post #1794 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post

The compression setting is called "DRC" The default is Auto I believe, so if you haven't found the setting, you definitely are getting some compression. Hope this solves your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

What you're looking for is on Page 28 of the Operating Instructions under [Audio Settings]:


Ahhh thanks a ton, I have a feeling I'm still on auto. I'll check that setting later today when I fire up the projector, I don't to mess with getting another player that's for sure.
post #1795 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I posted the same issue in my room thread and I was told that PCM is just fine, but it is 4db's less than DTS MA or Dolby true HD.

My Oppo BDP-103 does the same thing. I've determined that it is a difference in how it and my Pioneer SC-77 receiver (AVR) handle Dialog Normalization. Specifically, the decoders for the bitstream codecs in each device use different reference levels for the Dialog Normalization adjustment, with the Pioneer using a reference level that is 4dB higher than the one the Oppo uses. From the information I can find, both are correct, but the 4dB lower output from both the S5100 and 103 is probably more correct.
post #1796 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

My Oppo BDP-103 does the same thing. I've determined that it is a difference in how it and my Pioneer SC-77 receiver (AVR) handle Dialog Normalization. Specifically, the decoders for the bitstream codecs in each device use different reference levels for the Dialog Normalization adjustment, with the Pioneer using a reference level that is 4dB higher than the one the Oppo uses. From the information I can find, both are correct, but the 4dB lower output from both the S5100 and 103 is probably more correct.


I see you are in Liberty, I've taught up there for 16 years now. Crazy how much it's grown.
post #1797 of 2907
My Yamaha 3800 was having On/Off difficulties with the DTS - sold it and purchased the Yamaha 673 - no more issues.
The 673 is being fed through a Radiance XE-3D from an OPPO 93 and Sony 790 - all decode OK (except the odd blips in Total Recall 2012 which is a Sony Processing Error)
Unfortunately I can't say what is being decoded off the BDP-BX510 (Costco Model) since it's feeding my wife's Sony all-in-one and a Samsung 32" TV.
post #1798 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

As soon as I turned off Deep Color the sparkles stopped. I turned it back to auto and they were there again. I then tried it at 10bit and no sparkles so I'm happy with that.

It sounds like your HDMI cable cannot handle it. Anytime I have sparkles from an HDMI cable I cut it and throw it in the trash. I've had it happen a handful of times over the last 8+ years of using HDMi cables.
post #1799 of 2907

Looking for some help!

 

I have a S4100, I bought it specifically to watch Netflix in bed as they dropped Netflix on my old S373 when they did an update.

 

The trouble I'm having is being in the UK and using unblock-us to view the american netflix catelogue.

 

All I need to do is set the DNS manually. But it cannot be done!

 

You can set the DNS manually if wired, but I'm using a wireless adapter (the Sony one). When I run through the network setup process it asks for the wlan password then skips the manual configure option and runs the network tests before completing. 

 

For what it's worth, I have no problems doing this on my Sony TV, Surround kit, PS3 or my previous BDP (S373). It is ONLY not an option on the S4100.

I also used to work for Sony.

 

So I'm at a complete loss. I can't find ANY option anywhere to allow manual configuration of the network details when using the wireless stick.

 

Any ideas?

 

Oh... I also spent 2 hours trawling the Internet and going through the previous 60 pages of this thread :(

 

 

(One last thing, I frequently switch between the US and UK using the DNS settings so hardwiring and setting isn't an option)

post #1800 of 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Turn off deep color and possibly 24p.

Turned off Deep Color and 24p and updated firmware. Have a picture and all seems good.

I'm seeing the Pandora "overscan" issue that others have mentioned. I also can't connect to Slacker (though I could before the update). I'm getting a service unavailable message with reference code 10. It's linked to the player in Sony Essentials, so not sure what's going on here. That problem persisted through the weekend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100