or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 4

post #91 of 2898
Thanks for the heads up. Kind of pricey compared to the 590.
post #92 of 2898
Thread Starter 
[Agreed. If you're a heavy youtube user it might be worth it, but otherwise I'm not seeing a compelling reason over the 2012 players.
post #93 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post

I don't see any NFC icons on the S5100. I did turn on NFC on my Note 2 and dragged the phone around the top of the S5100 with no result.

Thanks, Exer, for the test of NFC. Funny how this feature, which made marketing news back in January, now seems to be MIA.
post #94 of 2898
Pre ordered last week... :-)
post #95 of 2898
Just picked up the 5100 today and gotta say WOW!!! Replaced a 5 year old Sony BDP and the difference is amazing. Gearing up for my new Epson 5020 3D pj and got to steal the 5100 with price protection from Future shop.
Bought a Denon 2313ci late January and they honored a price from another store more than 30 days after. Was enough to buy this amazing bdp and then some.

My test run was comparing with Netflix on my Apple TV 1080p. The Sony blew it out of the water. Even the audio sounded more precise. I was watching Apple TV in vivid mode on my 60" LG Plasma, switched to the THX Cinema mode with the Sony and it was like I had a new TV.

Can't wait to hook this Sony up to my new Epson 5020. (waiting for the 120" Grandview Screen to arrive).

Needed to turn my LG on a couple of times to get it to handshake the player, but once it did the set up was decisive but also a bit cumbersome. Had to register with Sony before it would let me sign in to Netflix. Was worth the two or three extra steps though. Looking forward to exploring the vast entertainment options in Sony's network.

Next step is to see if logitech has this player ready to go, the upgrade starts tomorrow smile.gif

Any questions about this great new player let me know.
post #96 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

Just picked up the 5100 today and gotta say WOW!!! Replaced a 5 year old Sony BDP and the difference is amazing. Gearing up for my new Epson 5020 3D pj and got to steal the 5100 with price protection from Future shop.
Bought a Denon 2313ci late January and they honored a price from another store more than 30 days after. Was enough to buy this amazing bdp and then some.

My test run was comparing with Netflix on my Apple TV 1080p. The Sony blew it out of the water. Even the audio sounded more precise. I was watching Apple TV in vivid mode on my 60" LG Plasma, switched to the THX Cinema mode with the Sony and it was like I had a new TV.

Can't wait to hook this Sony up to my new Epson 5020. (waiting for the 120" Grandview Screen to arrive).

Needed to turn my LG on a couple of times to get it to handshake the player, but once it did the set up was decisive but also a bit cumbersome. Had to register with Sony before it would let me sign in to Netflix. Was worth the two or three extra steps though. Looking forward to exploring the vast entertainment options in Sony's network.

Next step is to see if logitech has this player ready to go, the upgrade starts tomorrow smile.gif

Any questions about this great new player let me know.

What is the difference if you do not mind me asking?
post #97 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

What is the difference if you do not mind me asking?

Difference between the old BDP and new or difference between Apple TV and the Sony?
post #98 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

Difference between the old BDP and new or difference between Apple TV and the Sony?

Sorry, difference between the old BDP and new
post #99 of 2898
I think the new player is doing a much better job of conveying the audio and video to the reciever. It just looks and sounds "cleaner".
post #100 of 2898
So earlier someone posted that there is still not 3D Netflix from these players. Is that still the case? Is there supposed to be an update to enable 3D Netflix streaming? I was looking at getting a new Panasonic to replace my Panny BDT220 but then I started looking at the Sony BDP-S5100 because it also has SACD support. So far the only that I don't seem to like about it is the shape of the player. What about BD disc loading? Is that faster than the 2012 Sony models? That seemed to be the one thing that lagged with last years models form what I read.

I also see that these don't have any analog outputs. That was expected since BD players in 2013 are supposed to eliminate them. It also seems like multiple manufacturers are carrying over a higher end model from last year because of that. Since those models were introduced last year and have analog outs, they can keep making them with analog outputs.
post #101 of 2898
Are you in Canada or the States? smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

Just picked up the 5100 today...

Any questions about this great new player let me know.
post #102 of 2898
Canada, eh!!

Ya the shape is a little different. If you wanted to stack something on top you couldn't. I like the looks and am fine with not having something stacked on it. It's sure friggin small compared to my old BDP.

Can't comment on Load time yet haven't tried a BD on it yet as I don't own one. My old video rental store shut down about 2 years ago. I think I know where there is one more, gonna look into that today. Otherwise I am going to wait till I have the Pj to buy any as we will likely not bother with discs till then and if I have to buy them it will only be 3D movies.

As far as online 3D content, I won't be able to report much till I get my PJ installed. TV is 2D. The player won't even let me into the 3D Experience section of Sony Entertainment Network to check what's available. It says, a 3D HDTV or player must be connected.

The Sony Network looks impressive. Part of my decision to go with this player was to get access to it. I'm going to dive into it a little more today. We got a kick out of Crackle movies how the commercials are just kinda shoved in and not edited with a fade to black or anything. The commercials are all of about 10-15 seconds and can get repetitive but for a whole new bunch of movies to pick from for free we can deal with it.
post #103 of 2898
My question (I have the 3100): Anyone else seeing a less lifelike (more classic film look) to HD video streamed via this unit? If so, any suggestions for correcting? I perceive that as a problem although it's a mild one and overall I like my unit.
post #104 of 2898
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So earlier someone posted that there is still not 3D Netflix from these players. Is that still the case? Is there supposed to be an update to enable 3D Netflix streaming? I was looking at getting a new Panasonic to replace my Panny BDT220 but then I started looking at the Sony BDP-S5100 because it also has SACD support. So far the only that I don't seem to like about it is the shape of the player. What about BD disc loading? Is that faster than the 2012 Sony models? That seemed to be the one thing that lagged with last years models form what I read.

I also see that these don't have any analog outputs. That was expected since BD players in 2013 are supposed to eliminate them. It also seems like multiple manufacturers are carrying over a higher end model from last year because of that. Since those models were introduced last year and have analog outs, they can keep making them with analog outputs.

In my tests the 3100 was 10s faster at loading both regular BD and BDlive enabled disks than the S790 ... which was faster than the 590/390 ......
post #105 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

In my tests the 3100 was 10s faster at loading both regular BD and BDlive enabled disks than the S790 ... which was faster than the 590/390 ......

How would compare the S3100 and the S790 as far as PQ? Do you see any differences?
post #106 of 2898
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

How would compare the S3100 and the S790 as far as PQ? Do you see any differences?

I didn't do any A/B back to back testing ... but nothing jumped out. The 3100 and 5100 have the same video adjustments as the 390/590. The 790 has additional SBM and more customization of video settings. I've only really noticed those coming into play with DVD playback on the 790, so i would stick my neck out and say DVD playback can be marginally improved with the 790 over the 390/590/3100/5100. If that's not important to you, then I dont think you would see any difference.
post #107 of 2898
After these last few posts I think I will pick up the Sony S5100 instead of the Panny BDT230. I just need to wait for BestBuy to get them. I only hope that they add 3D from Netflix.

Although now that I think about it, are there any issues from the amazon App or others? For instance the PS3 has audio issues with some Apps where a stereo track will be sent in a 7.1 wrapper instead of a 2.0 wrapper like it should be. When this happens, the receiver can't apply post processing. So do these Sony BD players have any issues like that from their Apps?
post #108 of 2898
Can anyone list the main differences between the 3 or point me in the right direction?
post #109 of 2898
post #110 of 2898

I think I'll pick up a S5100 at noon today at BB, $139 is too good to pass up.

 

After my original release 60gig Fat PS3 gave up the ghost a few years ago, (fried my HDMI port) I lost my only SACD player,

I replaced it with an 80gig Fat PS3 (that didn't have SACD support Grrrr) and no Bitstreaming.

 

I've always decoded all my HD audio in player and sending LPCM to my Yamaha RX-V3900

and would really like to try Bitstream to see what all the fuss is about.

 

I was tempted to pick up a slim PS3, that came out right after I bought my 80gig Fat mad.gif

But I was not willing to pay full price ($300) without SACD support, just to gain Bitstreaming

Then I thought I would hold out for specs on the new PS4, still no SACD and now no CD support either ...For Real???

 

So I started shopping Oppo alternatives for a cheaper bitstreaming BD player that could also play my old SACD's...WAY too much $$$

 

I just saw the new Sony BD players hit the shelves here last weekend and was shocked at the prices and the specs,

then thought I'd scan this forum for feedback, looks like a winner to me.

post #111 of 2898
Full MSRP which is a 40% premium for a slightly better player than the 590 isn't a very good deal.
post #112 of 2898

Sorry but $139 is pocket change, practically disposable compared to other components in my system

and I would gladly pay that just have an SACD player in my system again. What other options are there for that price?

 

the discontinued BDPS590 is not even an option (locally) unless I find a used one (without warranty) should one magically appear in good condition on kijiji tongue.gif
 

 

FWIW, I have zero interest in 3D BD playback or 2D to 3D conversion, or Streaming movies, or streaming 3D movies biggrin.gif

 

Just Bitstreaming BD's and SACD playback for under $150, is all I want/need and no body else is doing that from what I have found.


Edited by PioManiac - 3/5/13 at 9:22am
post #113 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I think I'll pick up a S5100 at noon today at BB, $139 is too good to pass up.

After my original release 60gig Fat PS3 gave up the ghost a few years ago, (fried my HDMI port) I lost my only SACD player,
I replaced it with an 80gig Fat PS3 (that didn't have SACD support Grrrr) and no Bitstreaming.

I've always decoded all my HD audio in player and sending LPCM to my Yamaha RX-V3900
and would really like to try Bitstream to see what all the fuss is about.

I was tempted to pick up a slim PS3, that came out right after I bought my 80gig Fat mad.gif
But I was not willing to pay full price ($300) without SACD support, just to gain Bitstreaming
Then I thought I would hold out for specs on the new PS4, still no SACD and now no CD support either ...For Real???

So I started shopping Oppo alternatives for a cheaper bitstreaming BD player that could also play my old SACD's...WAY too much $$$

I just saw the new Sony BD players hit the shelves here last weekend and was shocked at the prices and the specs,
then thought I'd scan this forum for feedback, looks like a winner to me.

So Canada has them already? I wonder when they will show up here in the US? I didn't see anything when I was in BB on Sunday. And there is still nothing on the US website.
post #114 of 2898
post #115 of 2898
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

After these last few posts I think I will pick up the Sony S5100 instead of the Panny BDT230. I just need to wait for BestBuy to get them. I only hope that they add 3D from Netflix.

Although now that I think about it, are there any issues from the amazon App or others? For instance the PS3 has audio issues with some Apps where a stereo track will be sent in a 7.1 wrapper instead of a 2.0 wrapper like it should be. When this happens, the receiver can't apply post processing. So do these Sony BD players have any issues like that from their Apps?

No, and actually the Sony BDP players are some of the few out there that can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream from the Amazon app.

** HOWEVER ** Dont expect the nice GUI interface like on the PS3 ..... I would describe the Sony BDP Amazon app UI as "functional" in that it supports "Wishlists" which is great, but browsing is a bit crappy. The app has very small artwork for movies, and TV Shows are marginally better. Its a shame this hasn't being improved really.

I normally use my ipad to find content on amazon, then add it to my wishlist and then it shows up on the Sony.

There's one other thing. It does take about 10 seconds for the stream to begin playing on the Amazon app. If you have ever used the Roku with Amazon, you will notice almost instant starts ......
post #116 of 2898
I bought the S5100 and love it. Didn't buy it because of SACD. What is that and how could it benefit me?
post #117 of 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post

I bought the S5100 and love it. Didn't buy it because of SACD. What is that and how could it benefit me?

Super Audio Compact Disc  (developed by Sony IIRC) is Multi Channel 5.1 HD Audio format that first appeared in 1999, long before HD DVD and Bluray

I had a launch PS3 that could play SACD's so picked up lots of classic Albums that I used to own on vinyl ...like Pink Floyd's DSOTM

They have been collecting dust for over 4 years now...

 

 

Got My S5100 biggrin.gif

post #118 of 2898
So is it possible to place something on top of the S5100? Like a Roku 2?
post #119 of 2898
My S5100 delivered to me today by Purolator. Ordered with credit card points, so FREE, FREE, FREE. Can't wait to get it hooked up!biggrin.gif
post #120 of 2898
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So is it possible to place something on top of the S5100? Like a Roku 2?

Sure .... but keep in mind the top of the 5100 is like a shallow pyramid !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100