or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 33

post #961 of 2897
Is there a hack for remote Multi-region DVD playback? I am not worried about Blu rays but I have loads of DVDs which was purchased around the globe.
post #962 of 2897
I have a WDTV and was hoping this could take its place, but it can't see my network shares. frown.gif Fortunately my TV has multiple HDMI inputs.
post #963 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post

But the sony has 3 option for output.
4:2:2
4:4:4
and rgb

but for some reson it foreces the rgb.
well i take back the player and buy another.
i just loved the s5100 .


Okei the problem solver with panasonic bdt-500
Sony ddid not have rgb extended only rgb n color space choises.
Well despite of great playback of 500 i gotta take it back. Cant get the2d subtitles work on 3d mkv, not straight and not with converting to 3d ass. Gotta go philips, dont know about playback quality but atleast it handles those.
What is wrong with these developers.
post #964 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

It could also be Auto Motion Plus (AMP) in the Samsung that is causing the issues. I have a 60" D6420 Samsung and if I set AMP on anything other than Clear I get stutters.

Thx for ur awnsers guys.

I have tried with several hdmi-cables and regarding the tv i have tried with game mode just to make sure no motion settings are screwing with the signal. i still seem to get the od stutter. often a minute after seaching or selecting a specif chapter, or randomly with 15-30 mins intervals.

It seems its the player thou i cant beleve that such an expensive player (about 800$ here in dk) cant put out a proper signal...
post #965 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

I have a WDTV and was hoping this could take its place, but it can't see my network shares. frown.gif Fortunately my TV has multiple HDMI inputs.
Just use DLNA instead of shares and the Sony will work.
post #966 of 2897
OK, I have a dumb question that I can't seem to find the answer to. When you've watched something on Netflix part of the way through and stop, the next time you come back it plays from wherever you stopped. I'd like to know how you start from the beginning. I've looked several different places and can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks,
B
post #967 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by brivers View Post

OK, I have a dumb question that I can't seem to find the answer to. When you've watched something on Netflix part of the way through and stop, the next time you come back it plays from wherever you stopped. I'd like to know how you start from the beginning. I've looked several different places and can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks,
B

The page where you resume playback also has an option to start from the beginning.
post #968 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The page where you resume playback also has an option to start from the beginning.

Thanks for the reply, but I should have mentioned this is on the "Just for Kids" part of the Netflix app. I see how to do it on the "normal" part of the app, but not the "Just for Kids." This is my son's blu-ray player and he doesn't always like to start in the middle of his cartoons.
post #969 of 2897
Hello. Ive searched the forum, net, chatted with Sony who told me to contact Samsung who told me to contact.....Sony. Hoping someone can help here.

Player: BDP-BX110

TV: Samsung 50" plasma model HP-R5072

After powering up the player the screen will show the Sony logo for a few seconds then go blank. After five minutes the entire screen turns pink. I never have access to the player menu and other than a hammer, have no other tools.

Please help. Thank you
post #970 of 2897
Any advice on finding remote code for the BDP-S5100 remote with a Dynex LCD TV? Tried the codes listed in the TV's quick setup guide under Sony universal remotes. The Sony's manual didn't list many codes, none for Dynex of course. Neither product website helped either.
post #971 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithAkaMrak View Post

Any advice on finding remote code for the BDP-S5100 remote with a Dynex LCD TV? Tried the codes listed in the TV's quick setup guide under Sony universal remotes. The Sony's manual didn't list many codes, none for Dynex of course. Neither product website helped either.
The manual lists all the possible codes. If none of those work, you're out of luck. The sony remote is very limited. If you're willing to spend a few bucks, I highly recommend the RCA RCRP05BR ($8 shipped). You can also buy it most anywhere locally for $15-$20. It will control both your player and TV plus 3 additional devices as well as learn, do macros (activities), volume lock to your TV or stereo as well as key copies and key moves so you can mix an match commands from any device on any key. The Sony BD code for that remote is DVD 1516, and the Dynex code is probably TV 2049, 2184 or 1463 . Even if no Dynex codes work, you can simply learn all the commands from the original remote.

The beauty of a JP1 remote like the RCA above is that you can add absolutely every possible command for every device using individual function codes, even commands that aren't on the original remote like discrete power and input codes.
post #972 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk View Post

Hello. Ive searched the forum, net, chatted with Sony who told me to contact Samsung who told me to contact.....Sony. Hoping someone can help here.

Player: BDP-BX110

TV: Samsung 50" plasma model HP-R5072

After powering up the player the screen will show the Sony logo for a few seconds then go blank. After five minutes the entire screen turns pink. I never have access to the player menu and other than a hammer, have no other tools.

Please help. Thank you
You need to connect it by avcomposite (RCA Yellow) cable long enough to access the menus, set to the lowest resolution and turn off Deep color and turn off 24p, and set the color space to 4:2:2. After that, you can connect HDMI again and experiment with higher resolutions and other settings until you find what is compatible with your TV. Also if you have any HDMI switches, bypass them for now, until you get the player working.
post #973 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You need to connect it by avcomposite (RCA Yellow) cable long enough to access the menus, set to the lowest resolution and turn off Deep color and turn off 24p, and set the color space to 4:2:2. After that, you can connect HDMI again and experiment with higher resolutions and other settings until you find what is compatible with your TV. Also if you have any HDMI switches, bypass them for now, until you get the player working.

Thank you so much for the response. The player does not have a composite out and only has hdmi or digital coax. I tried the yellow cable in the DC but guessed it wouldnt work and it didnt. I will pick up a DC cable today and try to get it going. Ive never used a hdmi switch and have no idea what it looks like.

Thanks again!
post #974 of 2897
Oops, forgot about that. DC is only for audio, so that's not going to help you. With no fail safe video option I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I suppose holding the power button for 30 sec may do a reset and get you going.
post #975 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Oops, forgot about that. DC is only for audio, so that's not going to help you. With no fail safe video option I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I suppose holding the power button for 30 sec may do a reset and get you going.

I thought it would work because the tv and player both accept 720p. The player manual says to hold down the stop button for ten sec to reduce resolution but that didnt work. Im going to look for a converter box of some sort to pull up the player menu.

Cant complain about anything because i bought the plasma last year for $100 on Craigslist. Bottom half of screen was blacking out for previous owner so i took it home, cleaned it out and kept good airflow and havent had any problems.

If i find a fix for this will post it for others. Thanks again.
post #976 of 2897
Solution: returned the blu ray player. Thanks for trying to help mdavej
post #977 of 2897
Hello everyone, ill be buying my first blu ray but I cant decide between s5100 and s3100.
I don't have a 3d tv so will getting s5100 just be a waste of money?
post #978 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnest View Post

Hello everyone, ill be buying my first blu ray but I cant decide between s5100 and s3100.
I don't have a 3d tv so will getting s5100 just be a waste of money?
IMO, yes, but only a waste of $13. For that you also gain an additional USB port and front LED display (neither of which I would miss). I personally just picked up a couple of like-new 1100's for $50 each from Amazon since I don't need DLNA or wifi either. I've had at least a dozen players since blu-ray was first introduced and in all that time the biggest thing I've learned is to buy the cheapest player that meets your requirement because it will be obsolete in a year or two, far sooner than it will ever wear out. Next March the new crop of players will have some must-have new features and fix the bugs in this year's model (and introduce a few new ones).
post #979 of 2897
Thanks, I dont need the additional USB port or led display but wifi and dlna is a must.
I guess ill just grab the 3100. biggrin.gif
post #980 of 2897
Hmmm. Except for the lacks of DVD-AUDIO (which I don't need) and multi-channel analog, the BDP-S5100, from what I understand, is similar to the Oppo BDP-103 as far as speed. The one thing it can do differently is convert DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz. Some say that's a bad thing. Others say that's a good thing. I'd rather not have the noise filter which is applied when converting DSD to PCM at 88.2 KHz because what if by filtering out the noise, you're also getting rid of some of the overtones that SACD provides? So if you're an SACD collector who strictly uses HDMI connections, the Sony BDP-S5100 could be for you!
post #981 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

IMO, yes, but only a waste of $13. For that you also gain an additional USB port and front LED display (neither of which I would miss). I personally just picked up a couple of like-new 1100's for $50 each from Amazon since I don't need DLNA or wifi either. I've had at least a dozen players since blu-ray was first introduced and in all that time the biggest thing I've learned is to buy the cheapest player that meets your requirement because it will be obsolete in a year or two, far sooner than it will ever wear out. Next March the new crop of players will have some must-have new features and fix the bugs in this year's model (and introduce a few new ones).

Actually, I had just picked up the 3100 three weeks ago at BB, then, after reading your post today, checked and discovered the 5100 was now on sale there for $10 more. Took the 3100 back for exchange, used a gift card for the balance and now have the 5100. The LED display is one thing I really did miss with the 3100, so for an extra double sawbuck, I now have it. And I do believe it's a bit faster than the 3100, though not by much.
post #982 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Actually, I had just picked up the 3100 three weeks ago at BB, then, after reading your post today, checked and discovered the 5100 was now on sale there for $10 more. Took the 3100 back for exchange, used a gift card for the balance and now have the 5100. The LED display is one thing I really did miss with the 3100, so for an extra double sawbuck, I now have it. And I do believe it's a bit faster than the 3100, though not by much.
Yeah, the price differences among these models isn't very much. And I've been wondering about the speed difference. According to the marketing specs, the 1100/3100/5100 all appear to have the same processor, and only the 790 has the faster processor. In any case, I'm very happy with my cheapo 1100's. They're at least faster than the 390's they replaced.

Has anyone cracked these open to confirm which models have which processors?
post #983 of 2897
Got the S3100 the other day. One odd quirk of it that kind of bugs me, wondering if it's possible to fix. I run the blu-ray player to an Onkyo receiver, and the receiver to the Samsung TV. But for some reason with this player, it creates it's own source on the TV, so every time I want to watch something on the blu-ray player, instead of just switching the source on the receiver (like with say, a PS3) I also have to switch the source on the TV, as if it were plugged into a different HDMI slot on the TV, even though it isn't. Is there any way to work around that and get it to stay on the receiver's tv hdmi source?
post #984 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sah0620 View Post

Got the S3100 the other day. One odd quirk of it that kind of bugs me, wondering if it's possible to fix. I run the blu-ray player to an Onkyo receiver, and the receiver to the Samsung TV. But for some reason with this player, it creates it's own source on the TV, so every time I want to watch something on the blu-ray player, instead of just switching the source on the receiver (like with say, a PS3) I also have to switch the source on the TV, as if it were plugged into a different HDMI slot on the TV, even though it isn't. Is there any way to work around that and get it to stay on the receiver's tv hdmi source?

I'm sure someone with more experience with these units will correct me if I'm wrong, but there are settings in the 3100 under "system settings" called "control for HDMI" and "Linked to TV". Try fiddling with these to see if they make any difference. I'm just guessing, since I haven't experienced this problem. It could also be a setting on your receiver.
post #985 of 2897
My sony 5100 remote controller also my amplifier. it switched inputs ect. when pressed sonys buttons too loong, my amp is a denon. talk about annoyance. it was propably
on same frequence.
post #986 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post

My sony 5100 remote controller also my amplifier. it switched inputs ect. when pressed sonys buttons too loong, my amp is a denon. talk about annoyance. it was propably
on same frequence.
That's impossible. There are no Denon devices that respond to Sony codes. You're seeing the effects of HDMI-CEC. Just turn off HDMI control as was suggested earlier and this will stop.
post #987 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

That's impossible. There are no Denon devices that respond to Sony codes. You're seeing the effects of HDMI-CEC. Just turn off HDMI control as was suggested earlier and this will stop.

nothing is impossible wink.gif
don´t really need to course i had to get rid of it. good player, just did not get it working properly with my geobox.

seriously is was in the believe i had to turnd it off
post #988 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post

nothing is impossible wink.gif
Many things are impossible, and Denon responding to Sony IR signals is one of them. Sorry.
post #989 of 2897
i get your point but the bottom line is There is doers and talkers !
post #990 of 2897
No, you missed my point that your Denon appeared to respond to your Sony remote because of HDMI-CEC. I'm not refuting what you experienced. I'm refuting your explanation for it. Denon cannot under any circumstances respond to Sony IR commands. The laws of physics do not allow it. It can respond to Sony remote commands over HDMI however. All I'm saying is that your IR interference theory is incorrect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100