or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in? - Page 3

post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

And EPB Fiber Optics in Chattanooga. I can get a 1Gb/s up/down connection for $350 a month. The minimum speed you can get is 50Mb/s up/down. biggrin.gif


Sorry, I just like to brag about that every now and then.

Still burns me up everytime you do too. tongue.gif
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

The Netflix app supports keyboard commands for most functions. There are multiple programs that can map your remote to keyboard commands(only when netflix is active) my favorite is Eventghost.

Arrow Keys to navigate.

Enter to select.

Space to Play/Pause.

I have to send a stop media command to stop.

Anyone figure out how to go back a page? The only way I can find to do this is to hit the <-- button in the top left with my mouse.

That arrow key navigation works for some things, but as soon as you go to a movie page, you're stuck, because the giant movie poster that is the play button isn't selectable with the remote. It does work mostly for TV series, though you might get stuck there too.
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

That arrow key navigation works for some things, but as soon as you go to a movie page, you're stuck, because the giant movie poster that is the play button isn't selectable with the remote. It does work mostly for TV series, though you might get stuck there too.

Changing a TV show season is also difficult. I think maybe you can change it by hitting tab a bunch of times to get to the selector.
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Changing a TV show season is also difficult. I think maybe you can change it by hitting tab a bunch of times to get to the selector.

It does not work regardless how many times you hit the tab key.

The app is designed for touch screen or with a mouse/touchpad. No other way around it.
post #65 of 98
Recently my Media Center remote started working in the Win8 Netflix app for playback controls.... it wasn't originally.

Honestly though I now wish Gyration was still putting out their Media Center remotes, they would work beautifully for Win8 and associated apps frown.gif

mainly getting in this thread to sub
post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

Recently my Media Center remote started working in the Win8 Netflix app for playback controls.... it wasn't originally.

Honestly though I now wish Gyration was still putting out their Media Center remotes, they would work beautifully for Win8 and associated apps frown.gif

mainly getting in this thread to sub

Works for playback but not navigation?
post #67 of 98
yes, just playback. pissed me off a bit when I started using the Netflix app because I couldn't play pause and etc with a remote.... after time it started working with an update.

navigation.... no doesn't work. well...doesn't work fully. I can use the arrows to go around but not to the side menu to skip to a genre or new releases etc... I can only navigate on the main screen somewhat.
post #68 of 98
The MCE remote does partially work for the Netflix metro app after a quick registry hack. I am running Win8 Pro with the $10 MCE add on installed. The MCE remote is some generic RC6 remote with a USB receiver plugged into the laptop. Driver load was automatic.

Just copy the below text to a new text file, change the file extension to .reg and execute it, and reboot.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da]
"CodeSetNum0"=dword:00000000

The original value above was 1 and was changed to 0. This indicates that MCE should support all MCE remote variations. If you happen to have a MS Zune remote, this will enable that remote on Win7/8 also.

Using this hack on Win 8, you still have to manually start some movies but the MCE remote should now allow Stop, Back, Play, Pause, Volume, Mute and some navigation(in the main Netflix UI). The Green Windows button does not work nor do FF or REW. Without full remote support its still kind of a pain to use. For example, the Netflix UI will not allow some navigation like when trying to restart watching a movie...you have to use the mouse for that. But for multi episode shows it works great.
post #69 of 98
I use/love the W8 Netflix app. I have a wireless kb/mouse that has the standard MC commands (pause, ff etc)...doesn't everyone in this subforum? Seems like it would be pretty common here... eek.gif

maybe this is a dumb question, but why would you want to launch Netflix content via media center? I use MC for OTA TV and music (rarely)...otherwise I just use homescreen apps like TMT, NF and HuluP. Seems easiest/simplest that way...
post #70 of 98
I use a Logitech Harmony for my HTPC. The Netflix plugin has full remote support. The Harmony also controls my TV and receiver.

It'd be cool to teach the Harmony how to navigate Metro apps. These apps should have accessibility support like tabbing, etc. at least I hope so that could be used to control them. At my company I sure as h*ll could not release any UI that didn't have a11y support.

Who knows if any app writer will follow these: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh700407.aspx. This is going to be the issue with this new UI -- no consistency.
post #71 of 98
Yeah, I'm still hoping that the Xbox One's video streaming apps are just pure WinRT apps, for this very reason. If they're forced to develop a controller interface for the console, that means that it'll also pretty much have to work with a keyboard (and therefore also a remote). And while there would need to be slight tweaks, the Kinect support could map decently to a mouse or touchscreen. Plus, that would be a good way to 'force' more of these video services (Amazon Prime Streaming, HBO Go, etc.) into the Windows 8 Store, since there's no doubt developers will make them for the console.
post #72 of 98
I read HERE that in IE 11 on Win 8.1, you could stream Netflix in HTML5 and get 1080p. Has anyone tried this? If it works, that means Win 7 will be able to stream Netflix in 1080p too when it gets IE 11.
post #73 of 98
In my opinion, if you're looking for picture quality, use the Windows 8 metro Netflix app. If you want to use your MCE remote, use the WMC Netflix plugin. To be honest, I think that the WMC Netflix plugin's interface is a lot better than the Windows 8 metro app interface. It's cleaner and finding videos is a lot easier. That's just my personal opinion though.

If you want to control your Windows 8 experience, you may want to look into controlling it with a remote desktop app. I'm using Windows 8 Controller which allows me to use my Android phone to control my Windows 8 desktop. You have to install a server app on your PC which is free. You also have to install a client app on your Android device. The client app is free, but has limitations. The paid version only cost about $2 or so.

I just had to chime in on this topic because I'd really like to get my MCE remote to work with Windows 8, but since everything is going touchscreen, bluetooth and smartphone/smart device control, it looks as if IR remotes may soon be a thing of the past.
post #74 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalamigri View Post

In my opinion, if you're looking for picture quality, use the Windows 8 metro Netflix app. If you want to use your MCE remote, use the WMC Netflix plugin. To be honest, I think that the WMC Netflix plugin's interface is a lot better than the Windows 8 metro app interface. It's cleaner and finding videos is a lot easier. That's just my personal opinion though.

If you want to control your Windows 8 experience, you may want to look into controlling it with a remote desktop app. I'm using Windows 8 Controller which allows me to use my Android phone to control my Windows 8 desktop. You have to install a server app on your PC which is free. You also have to install a client app on your Android device. The client app is free, but has limitations. The paid version only cost about $2 or so.

I just had to chime in on this topic because I'd really like to get my MCE remote to work with Windows 8, but since everything is going touchscreen, bluetooth and smartphone/smart device control, it looks as if IR remotes may soon be a thing of the past.

We're doing pretty well with the Win8 netflix app. Unified Remote for android works pretty well for control--it has mouse/keyboard emulation, plus remote functions for xbmc and various other programs--I still haven't gotten it completely customized. It also requires a server app on your HTPC.
post #75 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by shalamigri View Post

In my opinion, if you're looking for picture quality, use the Windows 8 metro Netflix app. If you want to use your MCE remote, use the WMC Netflix plugin. To be honest, I think that the WMC Netflix plugin's interface is a lot better than the Windows 8 metro app interface. It's cleaner and finding videos is a lot easier. That's just my personal opinion though.

If you want to control your Windows 8 experience, you may want to look into controlling it with a remote desktop app. I'm using Windows 8 Controller which allows me to use my Android phone to control my Windows 8 desktop. You have to install a server app on your PC which is free. You also have to install a client app on your Android device. The client app is free, but has limitations. The paid version only cost about $2 or so.

I just had to chime in on this topic because I'd really like to get my MCE remote to work with Windows 8, but since everything is going touchscreen, bluetooth and smartphone/smart device control, it looks as if IR remotes may soon be a thing of the past.

 

Quote:

We're doing pretty well with the Win8 netflix app. Unified Remote for android works pretty well for control--it has mouse/keyboard emulation, plus remote functions for xbmc and various other programs--I still haven't gotten it completely customized. It also requires a server app on your HTPC.

 

Good stuff.

 

Any thoughts on using the Leap Motion device to control the Modern UI Netflix app?

post #76 of 98
I downloaded and installed IE11 for Windows7 (it's still BETA I believe). How would you even tell if it's 720 or 1080? All Netflix still doesn't look nearly as good as a Bluray to me, but my biggest gripe is still no 5.1 audio for us W7 users (or at least as far as I can tell). I guess that's how they get people to upgrade.
post #77 of 98
Play the movie called "Example Short". it will display resolution and bitrate on screen. From what I heard, IE11 on Win7 is still using the old Silverlight player which is limited to 720p and stereo. Only IE11 on Win8.1 supports the new player (probably HTML5).
post #78 of 98
That's what I have read also and additionally the IE 11 stable build rolling out soon for win 7 will also be limited to 720p .
I read that Google and Firefox are working on HTML5 HDCP compliant solutions that will support 1080p if they can get Netflix on board that remains to be seen
I would expect Netflix wouldn't ignore that many customers viewing with browsers once the HDCP issues are worked out.

I think there are 2 maybe at least 3 issues present one being Microsoft unwilling to upgrade IE 7 for win 7 to 1080p HTML5
that could be because of the variance in hardware compliance in win 7 vs win 8 with a lot of legacy win 7 systems that do not support HD ?
and HDCP issues for the studios and by proxy Netflix for the Chrome and Firefox browsers .

It takes Netflix /Chrome or Netflix/ WMC on win 7 x 64 anywhere from 3 - 5 min to ramp up to 3000 kbps 720p here with VBR (default ) enabled
about the same when using fixed bit rate .

I tried IE11 win 7 'final preview ' almost hosed my OS after the first day corrupted my user profile and some other things finally had to use startup repair CD to load windows and roll back to IE 10 and then system restore .

If Icons quit responding on your desktop or your system otherwise starts acting weird ,wont load windows etc. you know what to do now .
Edited by tubetwister - 10/29/13 at 8:20pm
post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Play the movie called "Example Short". it will display resolution and bitrate on screen. From what I heard, IE11 on Win7 is still using the old Silverlight player which is limited to 720p and stereo. Only IE11 on Win8.1 supports the new player (probably HTML5).
Thanks for mentioning the "Example Short" video. The one that I found which seems to have the bitrate displayed was "Example Short 23.976". Let me know if that one isn't suitable, but the first one I tried didn't display any information. Anyway, it seems like I'm still capped off at 1280x720 @ 3000Kbps.

Also, Netflix is using HTML5 now in W7. There was an update or something recently and it automatically defaults to that now (to use Silverlight now you have to go into your Netflix account settings and select it manually).
post #80 of 98
Yes, the full name is called 'Example Short 23.976'. The problem with Win7 IE11 is related to the copy-protection from what it looks like. If the browser can't enforce HDCP encryption over HDMI or DVI, it won't let you play at full 1080p and 5.1 audio.
post #81 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post


Also, Netflix is using HTML5 now in W7. There was an update or something recently and it automatically defaults to that now (to use Silverlight now you have to go into your Netflix account settings and select it manually).

Thanks for the update. Is this browser/OS agnostic? Is W7 still capped at 720p/2.1?


Edit: Yeah, only seeing a max of 3000 kbps and 720p.
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

Thanks for mentioning the "Example Short" video. The one that I found which seems to have the bitrate displayed was "Example Short 23.976". Let me know if that one isn't suitable, but the first one I tried didn't display any information. Anyway, it seems like I'm still capped off at 1280x720 @ 3000Kbps.

Also, Netflix is using HTML5 now in W7. There was an update or something recently and it automatically defaults to that now (to use Silverlight now you have to go into your Netflix account settings and select it manually).

Ryan ,
You are right about the Netflix settings there is a new HTML5 preference default to HTML5 they must be up to something maybe anticipating some HDCP compliant PC browser updates ? Or maybe it only works on win 8.1 IE 11 ?

I have win 7x64 after verify new HTML 5 default in Netflix I just tried IE 10, F/F and Chrome , Netflix still uses Silverlight in those browsers just like they did yesterday capped at 3K mbts 720p
while the browsers may support HTML 5 the issues with Netflix are HDCP compliance that's why only IE 11 win 8.1 on PC does 1080p
Win 7 is at this moment anyway still capped at 720p until and if Microsoft releases IE11 stable win 7 browser with an HDCP HTML 5 component same for F/F and Chrome I suspect.
Edited by tubetwister - 10/31/13 at 7:36pm
post #83 of 98
Saying that Netflix is straying from Silverlight and switching to HTML5 is all about 5.1 audio is just wishful thinking. From what I understand it's so Netflix can have an easier platform to work with which is compatible across many browsers, devices, and OSes. Besides, I don't see us W7 users getting 5.1 since it requires the app in W8 to get it. Unless of course there's a hack to use W8 apps in W7.
post #84 of 98
Silverlight is cross platform already although not as popular as HTML5. Even in Win8.1 today, Netflix player in IE11 does not allow 5.1 audio. Only 2.0.
post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Even in Win8.1 today, Netflix player in IE11 does not allow 5.1 audio. Only 2.0.
I don't think anyone was saying otherwise. The Netflix app is needed for 5.1 audio in W8. And I don't see Microsoft getting with Netflix for a solution in W7 since there's probably no more development going into W7. The irony is that I (along with many others probably) consider W8 to be more of a tablet OS so what would you need 5.1 audio on a tablet for?. I mean it doesn't even come with a media center.
post #86 of 98
I agree that someone will need to come up with a hack to get 5.1 audio on W7. I currently have all my machines on W7 and do not really see the need to even get W8. I don't like having to use a mouse/keyboard with my htpc since I am used to using the WMC interface and being able to use my remote with ease. Too bad windoze never updated the netflix app within WMC W7.
post #87 of 98
The 5.1 audio was my motivation to upgrade to win8. Since doing so, I am so glad I did. Netflix PQ is better also. I used to use my PS3 for netflix because of quality, but the PC is just as good now with the metro app.
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

The 5.1 audio was my motivation to upgrade to win8. Since doing so, I am so glad I did. Netflix PQ is better also. I used to use my PS3 for netflix because of quality, but the PC is just as good now with the metro app.
I may eventually get W8 for my main HTPC if I find a deal on it, but have no ambition to upgrade the rest of my PCs around the house. I do have a couple of questions for you or anyone else here with W8. How much content is actually 5.1 on Netflix? Is it mostly just newer blockbuster movies like Thor or are many TV shows 5.1 too which brings me to my next question: what happens to the audio if it is just 2 channel? Do you only get 2 channels of audio (front right and left) and 3 channels of silence or is it auto "matrixed" to 5.1 (ProLogic or whatever). in W7 I have a shortcut to the audio control panel on the desktop and am constantly switching back and forth between two speaker and five speaker depending on the source (still a PITA). Don't know if W8 handles HDMI audio any better but it would be nice to be able to set it and forget it.
post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

I may eventually get W8 for my main HTPC if I find a deal on it, but have no ambition to upgrade the rest of my PCs around the house. I do have a couple of questions for you or anyone else here with W8. How much content is actually 5.1 on Netflix? Is it mostly just newer blockbuster movies like Thor or are many TV shows 5.1 too which brings me to my next question: what happens to the audio if it is just 2 channel? Do you only get 2 channels of audio (front right and left) and 3 channels of silence or is it auto "matrixed" to 5.1 (ProLogic or whatever). in W7 I have a shortcut to the audio control panel on the desktop and am constantly switching back and forth between two speaker and five speaker depending on the source (still a PITA). Don't know if W8 handles HDMI audio any better but it would be nice to be able to set it and forget it.
Search here and filter by Surround:
http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/
Last time I checked, there were about 2700 titles with surround.

My AVR doesn't do Prologic, so I only get 2 ch on 2 ch titles. You probably would get some sort of pseudo surround depending on the bells and whistles in your AVR. I've never switched between 2 and 5.1 speaker. I leave it on 5.1 and roll with it. I don't really understand why you would would be having issues.

There are a lot cheaper and easier ways to stream 5.1 1080p Netflix than Win 8.
post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Search here and filter by Surround:
http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/
Last time I checked, there were about 2700 titles with surround.

My AVR doesn't do Prologic, so I only get 2 ch on 2 ch titles. You probably would get some sort of pseudo surround depending on the bells and whistles in your AVR. I've never switched between 2 and 5.1 speaker. I leave it on 5.1 and roll with it. I don't really understand why you would would be having issues.

There are a lot cheaper and easier ways to stream 5.1 1080p Netflix than Win 8.
Thanks for the link; saved it. Looking over that list they really pumped it up by separating all the seasons of shows and there's a lot of duplicates too. The list is probably actually closer to a 1000 movies or shows. But looking at other threads/forums it sounds like most of the new stuff being added to Netflix is 5.1 so I'm guessing most of their content will be eventually.

I did a web search and didn't really find many 5.1 capable Netflix devices other than the PS3, Roku, and a couple of bluray players (pretty much the same when I checked into this over a year ago). I really don't want/need an additional component as my HTPC already does everything (has a video card and wireless controllers for gaming and a bluray drive for movies, etc etc). Now I did look into some of those media devices a while back (something small that I could hide behind the TV) and they all have some sort of shortcoming or another. For example, the Roku boxes don't do DTS from MKVs (that's how 90% of my Blurays are ripped) so I would be using it almost exclusively for Netflix. One thing that pisses me off is that I have a Sony smart tv with 5.1 capability from internet streams (I know it's capably since I used to get 5.1 from Amazon Ondemand streams). If it didn't have it from the factory they could've easily added it via firmware updates. That's Sony for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in?