or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 6, 8-ohm speakers in series - dangerous?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6, 8-ohm speakers in series - dangerous?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I have 4 speakers going down an office hallway, at low volume.
I need to add 2 more beyond those and it would be sooo much easier to wire it in series because I can no longer do a home run back to the receiver. I realize this would add to the ohms. The speakers are 8 ohms each and the receiver/amp is 8-16 ohms capable. I currently have 4 speakers hooked up with no problems...what are the chances 2 more are really going to mess it up?
Would this overload the speakers or the amp?
I think the amp has some protection, it is an onkyo 600 series.

Is there another way such as wiring the first 3 as series and the last 3 parallel off the 3rd speaker (etc?)

I imagine that would change the volume of each speaker more, I want them all at the same low volume. Thanks,
post #2 of 5
Thread Starter 
PS I can change the db's from 0, -3, -6, would that help?...they are #4103 from monoprice.com
Edited by lowella - 1/9/13 at 7:56am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowella View Post

I have 4 speakers going down an office hallway, at low volume.
I need to add 2 more beyond those and it would be sooo much easier to wire it in series because I can no longer do a home run back to the receiver. I realize this would add to the ohms. The speakers are 8 ohms each and the receiver/amp is 8-16 ohms capable. I currently have 4 speakers hooked up with no problems...what are the chances 2 more are really going to mess it up?

Not much.
Quote:
Would this overload the speakers or the amp?

No, if anything it will underload either.

Quote:
I think the amp has some protection, it is an onkyo 600 series.

Is there another way such as wiring the first 3 as series and the last 3 parallel off the 3rd speaker (etc?)

Run a new wire to the connection between the 3rd and 4th.

Take the two existing wires and hook them to the + terminal on the receiver.

Hook the new wire to the - terminal on the receiver.



Quote:
I imagine that would change the volume of each speaker more, I want them all at the same low volume. Thanks,

If you do what you originally planned - put them all in series, then this would reduce the volume a little, but you would probably be able to compensate for that by turning the volume up.
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Great! Thank you Arny, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear wink.gif
post #5 of 5
+1 to Arny. I would hook them all in series, not a parallel-series combination (which would be harder to wire and load the receiver more).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 6, 8-ohm speakers in series - dangerous?