or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Horizontal black lines on Samsung plasma.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Horizontal black lines on Samsung plasma.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Here's my story:

I was browsing Kijiji as usual and I spotted this TV for $50. It was being sold so low because of the lines that appeared on the TV. I quickly gave the guy a call, offered him $40 and he accepted. It's now in my room and I've been using it daily ever since. It's a fantastic TV, but the black lines that appear are very annoying, which is why I have come to you guys.

How would I go about fixing this?

I have already checked the connections in the back and they seem to be fine. Could it be one of the boards that is causing this problem? If so, which one?

Any help here is GREATLY appreciated!


TV model number: PN50C540G3FXZC





post #2 of 15
You can't
I have this issue. It is common with Samsungs.
I have called samsung. The panel is bad and needs to be replaced.
Costs about $1000.
Some think the y buffer is bad. Others think the y sys is bad.
The boards are $100 a piece.
But the repair guys I talked to said.. bad panel.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
I see. Do you think I should take the risk and try to replace the boards or should I just leave the TV as it is? Ebay sells the boards for pretty cheap.

After a while, you forget that the lines are even there.
post #4 of 15
Go for it, especially if the boards have a return policy.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I'll think I'll do that.

Thanks for the advice guys!
post #6 of 15
I have trouble believing either board is bad since you get picture, but I am not a repair guy.
You can take the tv apart and re-seat all the connections first. I have heard the ribbon cables on the left side of the tv (when facing the back) can get loose.
Edited by Zarich - 1/10/13 at 5:34pm
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
I have already done that and the problem still persists. frown.gif

It's either a bad panel or one of the boards that is causing this problem. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Edited by Gnashide - 1/11/13 at 8:54am
post #8 of 15
Okay. Good luck.
This Google Search May offer you more insight.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashide View Post

I see. Do you think I should take the risk and try to replace the boards or should I just leave the TV as it is? Ebay sells the boards for pretty cheap.

If the boards are cheap, it might be worth a shot. You can always resell them on eBay if they do not solve the problem.

This document seems to support that the panel is bad, but on most of the samples, the lines are just one, not multiple. However, figures 49-52 seem to replicate what you have.

Please let us know your final result!
post #10 of 15
Figure 38 is what I have.. that one black line.
I didn't know there were so many ways a plasma panel could go bad.
post #11 of 15
Here is some info about the buffers. Based on it I don't think your Y-buffers are bad

http://www.ehow.com/info_12226500_symptoms-bad-ybuffer.html
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post

Here is some info about the buffers. Based on it I don't think your Y-buffers are bad

http://www.ehow.com/info_12226500_symptoms-bad-ybuffer.html

I was just doing some research and I found this:

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/6dlpt-samsung-plasma-tv-thin-black-line-goes.html

Same TV, and the same problem.

The technician on that site recommends replacing the buffer, so I think I'm going to try that first.
post #13 of 15
Let me know how it goes. I may try that before I pony up for a new tv. I was hoping to hold out until OLED was affordable.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashide View Post

Here's my story:

I was browsing Kijiji as usual and I spotted this TV for $50. It was being sold so low because of the lines that appeared on the TV. I quickly gave the guy a call, offered him $40 and he accepted. It's now in my room and I've been using it daily ever since. It's a fantastic TV, but the black lines that appear are very annoying, which is why I have come to you guys.

How would I go about fixing this?

I have already checked the connections in the back and they seem to be fine. Could it be one of the boards that is causing this problem? If so, which one?

Any help here is GREATLY appreciated!


TV model number: PN50C540G3FXZC





post #15 of 15
I have the exact black line you show. I had a tv repair person look at it for $115.00. He said it's the board on the left side or the panel. He had checked all conections and stil no change. The shop called to tell me they would order the board and install for $380.00. If no change I would be charged a restocking fee only. A new panel is obviously out of the question. I can put up with the line until I find a new set.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Horizontal black lines on Samsung plasma.