Instead of going out and pounding a bunch of pints o' green beer yesterday, I opted to put in another productive 4-5 hours in the basement. So this morning when I walked out the door at 5AM for the gym, I clearly had made the right choice. Was feeling GREAT
So yesterday I started off finishing up the overall support and structure for the rack itself. My entire family (along with the neighbors) could stand on this thing at once and it would not flinch:
Lower part from the back:
Back of rack from outside storage room:
Cut the remaining 6 shelves that will be utilized in the rack:
Taped out the exact location/height of each shelf. At the last minute I decided to swap the shelf designated for my turntable with the shelf designated for my Sonos & PS4. Puts the turntable at a higher height that is absolutely perfect for playing records.
Installed my Salamander Synergy turntable pull-out shelf. The drawer slides and the shelf together were 3/8" narrower than the width/ inside of my rack (20") so I had to improvise and find a way to make up for the difference. I had some scrap 3/16" thick hardboard leftover so I cut two pieces out with the jig saw (the exact shape/outline of each of the drawer slides) and put each of them in between the rack wall and the drawer slide. Having an additional 3/16" on each side made the whole assembly fit perfectly. The hardboard was dark brown so I went over the exposed part with permanent magic marker and, when installed, it appears to be black and part of the original assembly. Looks phenomenal. I got lucky as hell there because every 1/16 counted. The slide out shelf is a nice satin black and will match the satin black finish that I am using to paint the inside of the rack, shelves, etc. (paint will be Benjamin Moore Advance). The Salamander shelf came with a peel-off protective plastic coating so I will wait until I am ready to use the rack before I peel it off.
Pull-out shelf installed:
Pull-out shelf OUT:
Shot of bottom section for vinyl storage:
Next step is to prime and paint (2 coats) the inside of the rack and the shelves black. This week my Rockler shelving jig comes so I'll be able to drill the 1/4" holes needed to mount my shelves. I decided against making each shelf permanent so that I have the flexibility to adjust the shelving if my components change further on down the road. I am going to wait until AFTER I paint to drill the holes with the jig. I purchased these 1/4" shelf clips
to hang the shelves on at Lowes. Each hole will have a 1/4" metal sleeve in it as well. The heaviest component in my rack is a 57 lb. Emo amp and, being that my shelves are 3/4" thick, it would hold double that weight just fine.
I also installed 3/16" hardboard on the unfinished walls inside the storage room. This makes is MUCH easier to run all of my cables and speaker wires along the walls to the back of the rack. Before I screwed the hardboard to the studs, I went ahead and cut custom holes for the existing power outlet and for my Powerbridge. Got the Powerbridge outlet hooked up right next to my rack and ran 20 ft. of Romex out and over to the point where the other outlet will be hooked up in the ceiling (above the PJ).
Best part of the day was that I finished all of this by 1:00, took the kiddos to Jimmy Johns for sandwiches and then spend the rest of the day with my wife and them at home! Popped a cold beer at the end of the day as a reward while watching the NCAA hoops selection show!