or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver choices - (Yamaha HTR 4065, HK 1700, Marantz SR 5006)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Receiver choices - (Yamaha HTR 4065, HK 1700, Marantz SR 5006)

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
In the past few weeks I rediscovered my love of music and home movie watching. I purchased the following:

Yamaha htr 4065 to use in basement (13 x 13 listening area) but (13 x 25) room - price $279
Have Xbox, cable, and blue ray player hooked up. Currently with 5.1 setup with Energy Take Classics.

HK AVR 1700 1700 for bedrm (14 x21) - price $199
Plan to use for music mostly. Will be using 2.1 setup with Pioneer Sp-pk21bs.

And today, because I thought it was a good deal, I picked up a Marantz SR5006 from BB clearance for - $399

Question is - which 2 receivers should I keep and which one should I return?

1) The Yamaha htr-4065 - easy set-up, links well with my panasonic plasma tv, airplay works well too

2) Harman kardon 1700 - less features than the Yamaha but sounds better to me than the Yamaha. Not crazy about initlal setup and didn't link well with tv.

3) Marantz sr5006 - haven't opened box up yet.

All and any opinions welcomed.
Edited by benfica1 - 1/11/13 at 9:11am
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
bump

Anyone?
post #3 of 9
I can't speak to the HK and the Marantz, but I have the Yamaha and I'm satisfied with it (I'd be even more satisfied had I paid $280 instead of $380).

I have only two complaints--one minor and one actual. The minor complaint is that the OSD looks prehistoric and it's no good for browsing my music server. Luckily the controller app for Android is very good for browsing my music server.

The actual complaint is that it doesn't always "see" my music server, even after a firmware update that is supposed to improve that feature. It's not the server's fault because my TV always detects it.

Overall though I like the unit.

As a general rule, these things are not an investment so I wouldn't buy extra gear just because it's a good deal. If you're unsatisfied with your existing units, go ahead and open the Marantz. If not, I'd try to return it.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
The actual complaint is that it doesn't always "see" my music server, even after a firmware update that is supposed to improve that feature. It's not the server's fault because my TV always detects it.

I have the same problem. But I do like the Yamaha.
Quote:
As a general rule, these things are not an investment so I wouldn't buy extra gear just because it's a good deal. If you're unsatisfied with your existing units, go ahead and open the Marantz. If not, I'd try to return it.

It's not that I'm unsatisfied, it's that I can still return any one of the 3 and wanted an opinion on which one has the best sound quality and features for the money spent.
post #5 of 9
post #6 of 9
I'd go with the Marantz, its a higher end receiver.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfica1 View Post

In the past few weeks I rediscovered my love of music and home movie watching. I purchased the following:

Yamaha htr 4065 to use in basement (13 x 13 listening area) but (13 x 25) room - price $279
Have Xbox, cable, and blue ray player hooked up. Currently with 5.1 setup with Energy Take Classics.

HK AVR 1700 1700 for bedrm (14 x21) - price $199
Plan to use for music mostly. Will be using 2.1 setup with Pioneer Sp-pk21bs.

And today, because I thought it was a good deal, I picked up a Marantz SR5006 from BB clearance for - $399

Question is - which 2 receivers should I keep and which one should I return?

1) The Yamaha htr-4065 - easy set-up, links well with my panasonic plasma tv, airplay works well too

2) Harman kardon 1700 - less features than the Yamaha but sounds better to me than the Yamaha. Not crazy about initlal setup and didn't link well with tv.

3) Marantz sr5006 - haven't opened box up yet.

All and any opinions welcomed.

NO brainer !! Keep the Marantz !!
post #8 of 9
Listen to all three and let your EARS decide. Don't make a NO-BRAIN decision without doing so.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
where were you guys 5 months ago? I kept the HK 1700 for 2 channel listening for one room and I replaced the Marantz SR5006 with the Denon 2113ci for a few reasons the 2113ci was only $80 more a year newer so it had:
1) video conversion from 480p/1080i to 1080p which was important since optimum cable transmits in 1080i
2) better GUI
3) upscaling to 4k (future proofing)
4) still had multieq XT
5) no noticeable difference in sound

It's been a good unit so far.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver choices - (Yamaha HTR 4065, HK 1700, Marantz SR 5006)