or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Survivor Season 26 CBS HD February 13th, 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Survivor Season 26 CBS HD February 13th, 2013 - Page 12

post #331 of 823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Seems to me that Survivor is going the "Jerry Springer" path to get ratings and it's not working. Without some major shift, I don't see Survivor surviving much past another couple of seasons.

I can't guess how much longer it will last, but it will end sooner or later .. I still say get back to the roots .. I mean, how many times lately are people actually out trying to get a fish these days because they need the food .. ?? Make it more about surviving and less about the drama ..
post #332 of 823
As much as a like Jeff Probst as a host, I think he has been the biggest reason for Survivor's descent into the Springer-style silliness. If you look back over the years of Survivor, there is a gradual progression from a focus purely on gameplay, to where we are now, where the focus is on crazy human drama. During this time, Probst has gone from host to producer and then to executive producer - clearly the more influence that Probst has, the more the show focuses on the human drama aspects. For those of us that like watching Survivor for the game play, it probably won't go back unless Probst leaves the show entirely.
post #333 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

As much as a like Jeff Probst as a host, I think he has been the biggest reason for Survivor's descent into the Springer-style silliness. If you look back over the years of Survivor, there is a gradual progression from a focus purely on gameplay, to where we are now, where the focus is on crazy human drama. During this time, Probst has gone from host to producer and then to executive producer - clearly the more influence that Probst has, the more the show focuses on the human drama aspects. For those of us that like watching Survivor for the game play, it probably won't go back unless Probst leaves the show entirely.

Might be the reason his talk show only made it one season. rolleyes.gif
post #334 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I've tried to keep my opinion of Brandons mental health or lack thereof to myself .. but, I will add to your post by saying that this morning, as I was drifting around the Web, I saw some info regarding his beating of his wife as well as a few graphic photos .. now, it's the Internet, so who knows what's what .. but if you Google Brandon Hantz wife beating, make your own conclusion ..

This reminds me, didn't Brandon talk about being a gang-banger and implied participating in gang violence the previous time he was on Survivor? I seem to recall him saying that the "loco" nickname and tattoo came from his gangmates.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
post #335 of 823
If the editing would show more cast members and their interactions the show would get back on a more balanced footing. Editing leaves out players for long stretches. Brenda,Eric and Corinne have been ignored this season. It would be interesting to know how much Probst influences the editors since his role has increased since the series began.
post #336 of 823
Amazing how much discussion Brandon has created.
post #337 of 823
That's what Forums do... smile.gif
post #338 of 823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

This reminds me, didn't Brandon talk about being a gang-banger and implied participating in gang violence the previous time he was on Survivor? I seem to recall him saying that the "loco" nickname and tattoo came from his gangmates.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Yeah, I seem to remember some of that as well .. although IMO, it was likely puffed up some .. in a real gang setting, I don't think Brandon would make it too long ..
post #339 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

As much as a like Jeff Probst as a host, I think he has been the biggest reason for Survivor's descent into the Springer-style silliness. If you look back over the years of Survivor, there is a gradual progression from a focus purely on gameplay, to where we are now, where the focus is on crazy human drama. During this time, Probst has gone from host to producer and then to executive producer - clearly the more influence that Probst has, the more the show focuses on the human drama aspects. For those of us that like watching Survivor for the game play, it probably won't go back unless Probst leaves the show entirely.

 

Producer credits are handed out like candy.   It becomes part of the contract negotiations for TV stars.     Most successful shows with strong lead actors/actresses eventually have LOTS of producers.   Really long running shows end up with lots of Executive producers.    It doesn't mean these actors/hosts actually do anything extra.    I'm sure Probst gained a lot of power and leverage after the first season's ratings explosion, but its not like he's been running the show or anything.   

post #340 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Seems to me that Survivor is going the "Jerry Springer" path to get ratings and it's not working. Without some major shift, I don't see Survivor surviving much past another couple of seasons.

Huh? Survivor since season 1 has always had a Springer quality. If there weren't people to not like and to root against because of their personalities, this show would have been dead a long time ago.
post #341 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Huh? Survivor since season 1 has always had a Springer quality. If there weren't people to not like and to root against because of their personalities, this show would have been dead a long time ago.

Exactly! The Rudy/Richard pairing in season one was probably the least expected result when tossing an openly gay exhibitionist together with a grizzled, retired Navy Seal. That type of casting is straight out of "The Real World"s handbook. Brandon was surely the most explosive, but there have always been "strong" personalities. If anything, the later seasons have seemed to choose "eye candy" over personality more frequently, in my opinion.

I think they've always thrown a cast together with hopes of at least some fireworks. I love watching people strategize, lie, and just "play the game", but I also enjoy the sociological element which is a huge part of what makes the show work. I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat hoping for fists to start flying, but I like to see how people handle the constantly changing scenerios - betrayal, jealousy, paranoia, etc.
post #342 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

But, did it translate into ratings?cool.gif

We won't really know until the next episode, or even the next season. It's not as if people who weren't watching the show chose this past week to tune in because of something that hadn't happen yet. One thing is for sure, it's the most talked-about episode of the season so far. wink.gif
post #343 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Huh? Survivor since season 1 has always had a Springer quality. .
Not quite like the cringe-worthy physically brawling type that Brandon turned out to be. What I meant was Springer-like in that you'll soon need body guards on the set to keep people apart (maybe they have them but we never see them?).
post #344 of 823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

We won't really know until the next episode, or even the next season. It's not as if people who weren't watching the show chose this past week to tune in because of something that hadn't happen yet. One thing is for sure, it's the most talked-about episode of the season so far. wink.gif

Survivor pulled 3.0/9 March 14 last year .. 2.7/8 Wednesday ..

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/14/wednesday-final-ratings-american-idol-survivor-adjusted-up/173340/
post #345 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Not quite like the cringe-worthy physically brawling type that Brandon turned out to be. What I meant was Springer-like in that you'll soon need body guards on the set to keep people apart (maybe they have them but we never see them?).

"turned out to be" is right. I don't think they planned on him threatening or implying phyisicals threats like he did.
post #346 of 823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

"turned out to be" is right. I don't think they planned on him threatening or implying phyisicals threats like he did.

I think they knew there would be something .. maybe not the threats .. and they tried to milk it for all it was worth ..
post #347 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Survivor pulled 3.0/9 March 14 last year .. 2.7/8 Wednesday ..

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/14/wednesday-final-ratings-american-idol-survivor-adjusted-up/173340/

To be fair, there are likely many markets in which Survivor was delayed a/o preempted to satisfy local appetites for Basketball's pre-March-Madness. Once it get's shuffled off to the coveted 2:37am slot, there's probably a lot of folks that just won't bother. wink.gif

Humm, I thought the power of digital multicasting was supposed to fix these things. rolleyes.gif
post #348 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

fascinating to see the reactions of the two tribes during brandon's meltdown. one tribe's tears are another tribe's glee.

I mean what I don't get is the Favorites tribe's reaction, like it was the saddest thing ever. I understand it was smarter to keep your mouth shut and not antagonize him further but I am not sure I could've helped myself. At the very least, I would've been trying to conceal a huge shat-facing grin. The damage was already done as far as the rice and him leaving the tribe, the exit would've been pure entertainment for me!

Dawn is an emotional nut so I understand she was sad and maybe Andrea/Brenda, but if you were Malcolm or Cochran, how could you not help but smirk at that meltdown?? tongue.gif
Edited by djb5f - 3/18/13 at 2:01pm
post #349 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Glad that is over with. I have to say, as a long time Survivor fan who has watched every season, I have pretty much hated the casting this year. There is a reason I don't watch shows like Springer or Povich - I find nothing amusing about intentionally placing people into situations that they are mentally and emotionally unable to cope with. Both Shamar and Brandon are borderline unstable in normal situations, and when placed in the stressful conditions with little food, water, or emotional support, they become combative and irrational. If this is the direction the show will be going in future seasons, they may actually lose me as a viewer.

There have been a tremendous amount of great and compelling moments in Survivor history without any of these unstable type castaways. I personally hate how schadenfreude has somehow become a legitimate and acceptable form of TV entertainment. I had thought that Survivor was above that, though. Guess not.

Good point about Sham and Brannon being more extreme. I generally don't like over the top casting either and both of those fit. I was disappointed when the cast was revealed, a season of misfits. They definitely need professional help, not intended as a slight, that's what it is there for.

However, I think though the whole concept of Survivor is the interpersonal play, both the psychology and sociology of it. Watching how folks interact in group dynamics and under stressful situations is why I keep coming back, not because of some silly challenges. The challenges are a driver to the strategy and ultimately the vote.
post #350 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Yes, I figured most would get that something that preposterous was a joke.

I thought it made it more funny that I DIDN'T have a winky. Maybe not...

i think MOST of us got it smile.gif And it played well because of the earlier discussion about Sham and his poor edit.
post #351 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yeah, I seem to remember some of that as well .. although IMO, it was likely puffed up some .. in a real gang setting, I don't think Brandon would make it too long ..

Agree, especially when every other day he "finds" himself and then a few hours later, the demons take back over. He'd be telling his gang members he'd going to quit and then be fine a little while later. I am not saying he is a "sociopath" as he has temporary remorse, and not for me to diagnose, but many of his tendencies were sociopathic in nature, namely the impulsivity. The wild mood swings and inability to understand how you are perceived as well as the inability to interact with others.

If I were Russell, I'd be as disappointed with Brandon's gameplay this time around as the first time. Too wishy washy and not being able to take control. And that exit was a failure consistent with the rest of his gameplay. "Author of his own fate" I suppose but I imgaine in Russell's view (and mine as well), it was so hollow in nature. Too many are trying to group the Hantz's together just based on being related. Russell controlled the games, the votes, he was a power player, like him or not. Brandon so desperately wanted to be a power player but no one ever took him seriously and for good reason.

That made him snap. Yes, he had grandeous visions of making some wild exit, but then as it happened, he was not under control. He would've attacked Phillip, that was not be design and I think he'd admit that he was past a point of control, but who knows, he changes moods so often it would depend when you talked to him and whether his demons were currently in his head.

The amount of discussion on this board, sorry for the multiple posts as I was catching up, show how out there this episode was. I mean Brandon makes Special Agent Phil seem sane!
post #352 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

I predict we will have the second ever contestant to refuse to apeaar on the reunion show! WOW! Beyond ridiculous!!

Who was the first?
post #353 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

...

. I mean Brandon makes Special Agent Phil seem sane!

Yeah that matches my thoughts. I think Phil's elevator goes all the way to the top floor, there's just a couple of floors where the doors won't open. biggrin.gif
post #354 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post


Agree, especially when every other day he "finds" himself and then a few hours later, the demons take back over. He'd be telling his gang members he'd going to quit and then be fine a little while later. I am not saying he is a "sociopath" as he has temporary remorse, and not for me to diagnose, but many of his tendencies were sociopathic in nature, namely the impulsivity. The wild mood swings and inability to understand how you are perceived as well as the inability to interact with others.

If I were Russell, I'd be as disappointed with Brandon's gameplay this time around as the first time. Too wishy washy and not being able to take control. And that exit was a failure consistent with the rest of his gameplay. "Author of his own fate" I suppose but I imgaine in Russell's view (and mine as well), it was so hollow in nature. Too many are trying to group the Hantz's together just based on being related. Russell controlled the games, the votes, he was a power player, like him or not. Brandon so desperately wanted to be a power player but no one ever took him seriously and for good reason.

That made him snap. Yes, he had grandeous visions of making some wild exit, but then as it happened, he was not under control. He would've attacked Phillip, that was not be design and I think he'd admit that he was past a point of control, but who knows, he changes moods so often it would depend when you talked to him and whether his demons were currently in his head.

The amount of discussion on this board, sorry for the multiple posts as I was catching up, show how out there this episode was. I mean Brandon makes Special Agent Phil seem sane!

 

People have blown this whole thing out of proportion making it sound like he went total bat **** crazy.  It's been quite interesting reading all the comments across the net from people since this ep aired, when nothing really happened except Brandon went on a calmly planned "tirade", dumping out the rice/beans and yelling at Phillip.  More of the same at the IC/TC with a bunch of chest thumping and grandstanding from little Hantz.  The only time he really looked actually pissed off for a moment was when Phillip mentioned his family and even then nothing was ever close to really happening.  Watch it again.  Otherwise all he did was complain, growl a bit and call Phillip a bitch several times.    He even explained, yet again, how he came into the show with the goal to not be seen as a walkover and determined to prove he wasn't a patsy.  Just a bunch of bluster for the cameras to show what a "man" he is.  He's loud and wears his heart and emotion on his sleeve and he doesn't appear very smart.  And he does seem like he may have some kind of mood disorder, but I just don't see the raging lunatic he's being made out to be.

 

 

 

 

ron

post #355 of 823
What if CBS casts another Hantz for ratings - but in fact this Hantz has no relation to the infamous family. rolleyes.gif
post #356 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

People have blown this whole thing out of proportion making it sound like he went total bat **** crazy.  It's been quite interesting reading all the comments across the net from people since this ep aired, when nothing really happened except Brandon went on a calmly planned "tirade", dumping out the rice/beans and yelling at Phillip.  More of the same at the IC/TC with a bunch of chest thumping and grandstanding from little Hantz.  The only time he really looked actually pissed off for a moment was when Phillip mentioned his family and even then nothing was ever close to really happening.  Watch it again.  Otherwise all he did was complain, growl a bit and call Phillip a bitch several times.    He even explained, yet again, how he came into the show with the goal to not be seen as a walkover and determined to prove he wasn't a patsy.  Just a bunch of bluster for the cameras to show what a "man" he is.  He's loud and wears his heart and emotion on his sleeve and he doesn't appear very smart.  And he does seem like he may have some kind of mood disorder, but I just don't see the raging lunatic he's being made out to be.






ron

Thanks for posting the vid. I think we are more or less agreeing except for even after rewatching it, it was a meltdown. It had to do with not feeling respected, valued, and not being able to be a power player like his uncle. Yes, he had intentions to go out with a calculated bang, but he just got lost in it. First, with wanting to attack Phillip, you can see how it escalates and how agitated he gets and then later with the kids piece.

The deep feelings of resentment and inadequacy are a part of who he is. It's not that all of a sudden he went bat crazy, he's always been unstable, this was just this was the next step.
post #357 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

People have blown this whole thing out of proportion making it sound like he went total bat **** crazy.  It's been quite interesting reading all the comments across the net from people since this ep aired, when nothing really happened except Brandon went on a calmly planned "tirade", dumping out the rice/beans and yelling at Phillip.  More of the same at the IC/TC with a bunch of chest thumping and grandstanding from little Hantz.  The only time he really looked actually pissed off for a moment was when Phillip mentioned his family and even then nothing was ever close to really happening.  Watch it again.  Otherwise all he did was complain, growl a bit and call Phillip a bitch several times.    He even explained, yet again, how he came into the show with the goal to not be seen as a walkover and determined to prove he wasn't a patsy.  Just a bunch of bluster for the cameras to show what a "man" he is.  He's loud and wears his heart and emotion on his sleeve and he doesn't appear very smart.  And he does seem like he may have some kind of mood disorder, but I just don't see the raging lunatic he's being made out to be.






ron
I tell you what... you invite Brandon to your house for dinner and I'll invite Dawn (not because she's the prettiest but because she's the most passive).
post #358 of 823
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I tell you what... you invite Brandon to your house for dinner and I'll invite Dawn (not because she's the prettiest but because she's the most passive).

It's funny you say that as I was thinking "I'm glad I don't live next door to Brandon" ..
post #359 of 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

What if CBS casts another Hantz for ratings - but in fact this Hantz has no relation to the infamous family. rolleyes.gif

Might be tough as I suspect the Hantz family tree doesn't have many branches. eek.gif
post #360 of 823
Interesting tidbit:
The entire scene was so intense, Probst later told Entertainment Weekly, that he was literally radioing for help. "I was whispering instructions into my microphone ... for our safety and security guys to be ready to assist if necessary," Probst told EW. "I was also asking for our show psychologist to be put on a boat and brought over immediately so she could counsel Brandon after the incident was over."


http://www.tvguide.com/News/Survivor-Brandon-Meltdown-Favorites-Forfeit-1062744.aspx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Survivor Season 26 CBS HD February 13th, 2013