or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Combining m2ts files
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Combining m2ts files

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I was wondering is there any simple software besides tsmuxer for combining m2ts files? I am looking for ubuntu and windows options. I don't usually like using software that is no longer supported. I have a panasonic cam and only copied over the m2ts file but hd writer I think wanted the whole directory. I may just leave the files alone as their doesn't seem to be a lot of options.

My plan was to combine the m2ts files so I don't have 20 clips from a birthday party etc and then run them through handbrake. Or do you think it is worth re-encoding the files?
post #2 of 7
I've used this in the past and it works well.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450286/smart-rendering-that-works-with-all-avchd-camcorders-tmpgenc-mpeg-smart-renderer-4
post #3 of 7
The "device explorer" in Sony Vegas Platinum versions 10, 11 or 12 will join mts files plus a lot more:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/181-2138118-7028618?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony+vegas+platinum&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asony+vegas+platinum
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

The "device explorer" in Sony Vegas Platinum versions 10, 11 or 12 will join mts files plus a lot more:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/181-2138118-7028618?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony+vegas+platinum&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asony+vegas+platinum

Will it do that without re-encoding all the clips? I don't think so. And if not you lose resolotion and you wait. ts muxer, and the recommended tmpengc program combine mts clips without re-ecncoding whole clips, and instantly.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Will it do that without re-encoding all the clips? I don't think so. And if not you lose resolotion and you wait. ts muxer, and the recommended tmpengc program combine mts clips without re-ecncoding whole clips, and instantly.

I don't see any issues with quality joining and rendering files from Sony Vegas.
There's the added benefit of being able to tweak the audio, color, sharpen, add fx, etc.
If you like to keep your footage in it's purist form and then upload, that's fine. For me, I like the ability to edit and refine the image.
post #6 of 7
I'm not arguing either way, just pointing out this distinction - almost any software now will joint mts files (there is nothing special about Vegas for this). But few do it losslessly, and also have some other features + work with all brands of .mts files.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

My plan was to combine the m2ts files so I don't have 20 clips from a birthday party etc
Why would you do that? Do you edit in camera (a.k.a. "Straight8" style) so that you clips do not require any editing at all?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Combining m2ts files