or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Phillips Soundbar 2.1 Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phillips Soundbar 2.1 Help

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I just purchased the Phillips Soundbar 2.1 and it work good. It doesn't come with any cable to connect to my TV though.

Here is my setup:

Cable
DVR
LED TV
Blue Ray

I temporarily hooked up the system with RCA plugs since I didn't have a digital optical audio cable.

The problem:

I can only here one thing at a time: If I connect it to the DVR then I only hear the TV and can't hear anything on the Blue Ray player. My DVR is connected to my LED TV via an HDMI cable.

I want to be able to watch the TV or the Blue Ray without having to move cables around.

Two questions:

How do I do that?

Is it worth it to upgrade to the digital audio cable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2 of 8
Please provide the model # of your TV and your soundbar. Aren't cable and DVR the same thing? It looks like you just need to find a way to connect your DVR and your BD player to your soundbar.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Please provide the model # of your TV and your soundbar. Aren't cable and DVR the same thing? It looks like you just need to find a way to connect your DVR and your BD player to your soundbar.

LED TV: Samsung UN46D6500VFXZA

Sound Bar: Philips CSS2123/F7 2.1 Soundbar with Subwoofer:

I forgot to mention that I don't want to use the sound bar all of the time. I want to turn it off and switch to my TV speakers sometimes.
post #4 of 8
It looks like you have 2 options. It doesn't appear that your TV has RCA audio outputs so you can either get an RCA to 3.5mm cable and connect the audio out on the TV to the RCA inputs on the soundbar or you can get an optical cable and connect that from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) on your TV to the DIGITAL IN/OPTICAL input on your soundbar. I definitely prefer the 2nd option.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
thanks a lot for your help.

I'm going to purchase the new cable.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Ok new problem.

I purchased the Optical out cable and was having trouble getting the plastic tab thing out of the optical port. I was finally able to get it out with a small screw driver (TV off of course) and then went to plug in the cable. The cable would not go in that good and was kind of loose. I then saw a small bent metal piece that was blocking the cord from going in. I removed that piece and it goes in but doesn't snap in. The sound works, but it doesn't snap in and is slightly loose. Do you think that it's ok to not have the cord snapped in perfectly?

The other thing I noticed is that the sound bar will play when I select both TV and external speakers. I thought that if the volume is all of the way down and I click on TV I will not hear anything if the sound bar is off and external speakers is selected. I just turn off the sound bar when not in use, but this seems a little odd to me.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude7 View Post

Ok new problem.

I purchased the Optical out cable and was having trouble getting the plastic tab thing out of the optical port. I was finally able to get it out with a small screw driver (TV off of course) and then went to plug in the cable. The cable would not go in that good and was kind of loose. I then saw a small bent metal piece that was blocking the cord from going in. I removed that piece and it goes in but doesn't snap in. The sound works, but it doesn't snap in and is slightly loose. Do you think that it's ok to not have the cord snapped in perfectly?

The other thing I noticed is that the sound bar will play when I select both TV and external speakers. I thought that if the volume is all of the way down and I click on TV I will not hear anything if the sound bar is off and external speakers is selected. I just turn off the sound bar when not in use, but this seems a little odd to me.

If you are talking about the "plastic tab thing" that I think you're talking about, I really wouldn't have done that. You are talking about on the TV? If so, I believe that you removed the "cat door". At least that's what I call it. It's a 1-way mini door that swings inward and seems to protect your TV from dust and dirt getting in there. Based on what you described, it also seems to help keep the plug in place. I have no idea exactly what's going on there but, if it works, I would just leave it alone.

As for your other question, that is perfectly fine. That happened to me when I was using an optical cable. I would just turn the TV volume down when you want to listen through the soundbar and turn the soundbar off and the TV volume up when you want to listen through the TV.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

If you are talking about the "plastic tab thing" that I think you're talking about, I really wouldn't have done that. You are talking about on the TV? If so, I believe that you removed the "cat door". At least that's what I call it. It's a 1-way mini door that swings inward and seems to protect your TV from dust and dirt getting in there. Based on what you described, it also seems to help keep the plug in place. I have no idea exactly what's going on there but, if it works, I would just leave it alone.

As for your other question, that is perfectly fine. That happened to me when I was using an optical cable. I would just turn the TV volume down when you want to listen through the soundbar and turn the soundbar off and the TV volume up when you want to listen through the TV.

Thanks for the information - I think that you are right about the cat door thing. I thought that it was plastic thing you pull out like on the sound bar. That sucks, but there is nothing that I can do about it now. I think with the plug being in there the whole time the dust probably will not be a factor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Phillips Soundbar 2.1 Help