or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 3 X KLIPSCH RC 64II FOR FRONT STAGE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 X KLIPSCH RC 64II FOR FRONT STAGE

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
now my set up has for the front stage :
2 x klipsch rf 7 and 1 klipsch rc 64 ii.
i am thinking of changing the 2 x klipsch rf 7 with 2 xklipsch rc 64ii.
what do you think?
is there anyone with this setup?

thank you in advance
post #2 of 33
Why? What would be the purpose? I am just curious.
post #3 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Why? What would be the purpose? I am just curious.

i wander if my frond stage would be more unite.
when i am testing the speakers with the test tone from my receiver i think that between rf 7 and rc 64 ii the tone is much different.
post #4 of 33
I see. So you want to make all 3 the same. Yes, that would be a good idea.
I just looked at your speakers and my answer is a big negative. I would not use 2 64s as your mains. Other than the test tone how does it sound? What other speakers and receiver do you have?
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/12/13 at 5:25am
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I see. So you want to make all 3 the same. Yes, that would be a good idea.
I just looked at your speakers and my answer is a big negative. I would not use 2 64s as your mains. Other than the test tone how does it sound? What other speakers and receiver do you have?

but why big negative?
other than the test tone i am satisfied, but the enemy of good is better.
my receiver is denon 4311 and i have 2 klipsch rs 62 ii for surround.
post #6 of 33
You have a proper setup. The test tone is meaningless. The center is not meant to be used as a main nor sound identical to the rf7s. Do as you wish. If you just want to go better, try these:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterfall-Audio-Niagara-Standing-Loudspeakers/dp/B002BSH27I/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1357998912&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+speakers
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/12/13 at 5:57am
post #7 of 33
A center speaker has an entirely different function than the main speakers.

It requires a different design and orientation.

IMO anyone who thinks that 3 identical speakers are going to work properly is on the wrong track; a mile from the truth.

What makes you think that the 7/64 combination is not working properly??

If you have problems with that setup, you are looking at the wrong way to solve it IMO.

IMO the center speaker you have is too large and not oriented towards clear performance in the midrange. I think you would be far better off with the RC52, which has smaller drivers and only 2 of them. The four drivers of the 64 are a stupid design for a center speaker IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourania Mylona View Post

now my set up has for the front stage :
2 x klipsch rf 7 and 1 klipsch rc 64 ii.
i am thinking of changing the 2 x klipsch rf 7 with 2 xklipsch rc 64ii.
what do you think?
is there anyone with this setup?

thank you in advance

Edited by commsysman - 1/12/13 at 12:32pm
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A center speaker has an entirely different function than the main speakers.

It requires a different design and orientation.

IMO anyone who thinks that 3 identical speakers are going to work properly is on the wrong track; a mile from the truth.


eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Yeah. Same here.
post #10 of 33
I'm glad that the 3 wise owls agree.
post #11 of 33
Can I be a 4th? I didn't mean anything like that.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourania Mylona View Post

i am thinking of changing the 2 x klipsch rf 7 with 2 xklipsch rc 64ii.
Is that so you can have narrow lower midrange dispersion and comb filtering in the upper mids in the mains just as you do in the center? eek.gif
Like most centers made with horizontally mounted drivers the 64ii has some serious design flaws, compromises made when you can't use a vertical speaker. I don't think you want to have those same design flaws in your mains as well.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A center speaker has an entirely different function than the main speakers.

It requires a different design and orientation.

IMO anyone who thinks that 3 identical speakers are going to work properly is on the wrong track; a mile from the truth.

What makes you think that the 7/64 combination is not working properly??
Oh oh, I knew something didn't sound right with my 3 identical Klipsch RF7IIs across the front. Anyone want to purchase my 3 Klipsch RF7IIs, gently used. I guess I'll purchase one Bose cube for center then use one of my wife's computer speaker for left front and grab my sons computer speaker for right front. Since they don't match I should have a helluva setup.
post #14 of 33
I can see that commysman and Yoda have a point. 3 identical may not be ideal but "a mile from the truth" seems a stretch. For simplicity in most budget situations it is a safe way to go.
post #15 of 33
Only reason it's not ideal is cuz' most people cannot fit a identical center speaker into their system. If you can do it.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A center speaker has an entirely different function than the main speakers.

It requires a different design and orientation.

IMO anyone who thinks that 3 identical speakers are going to work properly is on the wrong track; a mile from the truth.

What makes you think that the 7/64 combination is not working properly??
Oh oh, I knew something didn't sound right with my 3 identical Klipsch RF7IIs across the front. Anyone want to purchase my 3 Klipsch RF7IIs, gently used. I guess I'll purchase one Bose cube for center then use one of my wife's computer speaker for left front and grab my sons computer speaker for right front. Since they don't match I should have a helluva setup.
You are using an rf7ii as a center?
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Only reason it's not ideal is cuz' most people cannot fit a identical center speaker into their system. If you can do it.
If you're identical center happens to be a bad ass tower I don't see how you could go wrong. Is it laid on its side or something? And yes I would be willing to sacrifice my Bose cube for your rf7s. I will even throw in a pair of computer speakers as a show of good faith.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/12/13 at 1:09pm
post #18 of 33
Here's what peaked my interest a couple yrs. ago...http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
post #19 of 33
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Only reason it's not ideal is cuz' most people cannot fit a identical center speaker into their system. If you can do it.

That's the nice thing about having a projector. Wish I could run a center the same as my L/R. Don't really want to mount my TV that high.
post #21 of 33
I would like to just turn mine vertical. It has 2 6.5s and a 1" but it would be too tall. I'm not gonna rearrange just for that.
post #22 of 33
Really the ceiling mounted 50" plasma isn't bad at all. No one complains and picture looks great. The ceiling mount angles down. For projector movie night and sporting events my 110" Vutec AT screen just drops down in front of everything.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
No problem your welcome
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If you're identical center happens to be a bad ass tower I don't see how you could go wrong.

Exactly.

What I don't understand about Commsysman is that if a capable tower can have great sounding vocals, midrange, treble, ect... while using them as a stereo pair for music. Why wouldn't they work equally as good for center use. If someone raves about how there 2 channel setup sounds great for music with life like voices, smooth detailed midrange, "airy" natural sounding treble. How is using that same speaker as a center a bad idea? It turns the speaker into a piece of **** using it as a center?

Some people just can't get with the MODERN times and still use antiquated theorys and opinions. Stuck in the past and closed minded.
post #25 of 33
It does seem like a bit of a waste to use such an excellent speaker as a center. Not to take away the importance of a good center.Placing a center vertically or buying a speaker that is designed to be used vertcally I can see.
post #26 of 33
Are yours original or classic RF-7 or the latest RF-7 II? The RF7 has different drivers and may not timbre match perfectly to RC-64 II. On the contrary, RF-7 II and RC-64 II have the same HF driver and similar LF drivers and they are timbre matched. Perhaps changing the mains to RF-7 II and keeping the RC-64 II would be a better move.

RC-64 II is a sealed system and doesn't go very low, so you will need a good sub. In addition, its 90° x 60° horn is set up for horizontal placement. If you place it vertically as L/R, you will have to rotate the horn assembly.

Or, like browninggold's setup, get 3x RF-7 II as the fronts and call it good. But don't place the center horizontally eek.gif
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

if a capable tower can have great sounding vocals, midrange, treble, ect... while using them as a stereo pair for music. Why wouldn't they work equally as good for center use.
They would, if they fit. And there's no reason why they can't, other than if you put your screen atop a piece of furniture.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaux View Post

Are yours original or classic RF-7 or the latest RF-7 II? The RF7 has different drivers and may not timbre match perfectly to RC-64 II. On the contrary, RF-7 II and RC-64 II have the same HF driver and similar LF drivers and they are timbre matched. Perhaps changing the mains to RF-7 II and keeping the RC-64 II would be a better move.

RC-64 II is a sealed system and doesn't go very low, so you will need a good sub. In addition, its 90° x 60° horn is set up for horizontal placement. If you place it vertically as L/R, you will have to rotate the horn assembly.

Or, like browninggold's setup, get 3x RF-7 II as the fronts and call it good. But don't place the center horizontally eek.gif
Good point with the rf7 vs rf7ii. Seems like a massive amount of money and time to spend for a minimal return though. I have a respectable setup but would do flips for what the op has.
post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaux View Post

Are yours original or classic RF-7 or the latest RF-7 II? The RF7 has different drivers and may not timbre match perfectly to RC-64 II. On the contrary, RF-7 II and RC-64 II have the same HF driver and similar LF drivers and they are timbre matched. Perhaps changing the mains to RF-7 II and keeping the RC-64 II would be a better move.

RC-64 II is a sealed system and doesn't go very low, so you will need a good sub. In addition, its 90° x 60° horn is set up for horizontal placement. If you place it vertically as L/R, you will have to rotate the horn assembly.

Or, like browninggold's setup, get 3x RF-7 II as the fronts and call it good. But don't place the center horizontally eek.gif

thanks for your help.
yes i have the original rf7 , i think your idea of changing them to rf7 ii is the best.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourania Mylona View Post

thanks for your help.
yes i have the original rf7 , i think your idea of changing them to rf7 ii is the best.
How much for the rf7s? I'm just a poor boy looking for hand me downs.rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 3 X KLIPSCH RC 64II FOR FRONT STAGE