I have been reading and reading and frankly I am a little lost. I am a speaker newb...and can't seem to educate my way out of my confusion.
I think the easiest way to help me is to correct or add to my current understanding of Floor Standing Speakers.
1) Most floor standing speakers are 3 way -- having a woofer (low sound / bass) and tweeter (high sound / treble).
2) Woofers and tweeters can be made with a variety of different materials which all have pros and cons... I really have no idea what those pros and cons are... I know something like Kevlar tweeter is more ridged so is better for something where the sound stays steady instead of increasing then decreasing considerably... Any help here would be great.
3) There are ported and sealed Woofers... Everyone seems all over the road on this one and depending on the maker etc...
4) I am really unsure how necessary low sound is in a HT system when you have a sub-woofer except that speakers with poor bass performance often need a professional to "fine tune" cross over points between sub-woofer and speakers.
5) Due to distortion ... in GENERAL...it is better to have one good woofer and tweeter and woofer rather than using multple? Again, from what I read there are many ways to off-set distoration...so again I am a little confused here.
6) Size of tweeter and woofer do matter...but really hard to compare apples to apples among different manufacters. A 1/2 inch tweeter can sound better than a 3/4 tweeter or a 1 inch tweeter...depending on build etc.
7) Due to dynamic range "horn" tweeters are especially well suited for Home Theater purposes...
I am just really lost and have no idea how to compare speakers... I know listen, listen, listen but since I am leaning towards ID companies for the best "bang for the buck" I am trying to figure things out prior to having the speakers shipped out and me having to ship them back.
I am fairly sold on SVS sub unless HSU has a sale... but its a coin toss between them.
For the rest...I am totally lost. My budget is about 2-3k with a sub and the subs I am looking at are 600ish. Room size is small / med-small.
Any help is so much appreciated!