or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 45

post #1321 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovector View Post

Thanks. The reason for asking was that I tried the front USB (USB stick) and thought i sounded really bad, thin metallic and "cheap". I played a 24/96 track downloaded from HD tracks. I have the same track on CD and it sounds way superior. Is there a setting I might have forgotten?

I cannot think of any "tricks" but I have not heard any significant differences between a ripped file on USB stick and the original disc in the Oppo. 

post #1322 of 1458
^ He's comparing a downloaded track from HD Tracks to a CD, not a file ripped from the CD to the CD. Without more specifics, it's pretty difficult to say if the particular track from HD Tracks is a good sample to work with or not.
post #1323 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ He's comparing a downloaded track from HD Tracks to a CD, not a file ripped from the CD to the CD. Without more specifics, it's pretty difficult to say if the particular track from HD Tracks is a good sample to work with or not.

Right. I presumed too much. :D

post #1324 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ He's comparing a downloaded track from HD Tracks to a CD, not a file ripped from the CD to the CD. Without more specifics, it's pretty difficult to say if the particular track from HD Tracks is a good sample to work with or not.

I agree - I've had a few from HDTracks that I thought sounded a bit...off. It's probably the material, not the player.
post #1325 of 1458
Hello there,

I am using an Oppo BDP-105 + Halo P7 (+ Halo A31 and Halo A23 Amp) combo and just realized I may be in danger clipping the input to the P7 since I have the volume level on the BDP-105 fixed at 100.

I have never heard any hint of the sound breaking down (the P7 has not been dialed above 70).

I have both the multichannel RCA's and XLR's feeding the P7. Since the output voltage for the XLR's is 4.2V and for the RCA's is 2.1V and I don't hear a sound level difference when switching between them, I am "guessing" that the XLR voltage is for both legs ....... i.e 2.1V on each leg ?

In order not to exceed the P5's rated 8V, given the gain of 5, one should not exceed an input voltage of 8 / 5 = 1.6V ..... so this would mean that I should limit the volume on the BDP-105 to 1.6 / 2.1 * 100 = 76 ... and dial up the P7 accordingly?

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I'd also like to be sure that the P7 is never in danger of causing clipping on either of the amps but I've looked at the amp specs and I'm not sure how to work that out. I imagine I'm not in danger there since the Halo line should play well together ..

Thanks very much.

James
Edited by kayhikski - 2/6/14 at 12:25pm
post #1326 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

Hello there,

I am using an Oppo BDP-105 + Halo P7 (+ Halo A31 and Halo A23 Amp) combo and just realized I may be in danger clipping the input to the P7 since I have the volume level on the BDP-105 fixed at 100.

What is the advantage of using the P7 instead of feeding the A31 and A23 directly? Did you ever make an A/B comparison?
post #1327 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

What is the advantage of using the P7 instead of feeding the A31 and A23 directly? Did you ever make an A/B comparison?

Hello there. I haven't tried an A/B comparison. My setup is complicated by the fact that the P7 is also fed by a Receiver and operates in HT bypass mode for that, plus I rely on the P7's analog bass management for 2 channel listening because my mains are not capable of handling a full range signal, plus I like the flexibility of utilizing the trims and tone controls on the P7 as needed.
Edited by kayhikski - 2/7/14 at 6:57am
post #1328 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

My setup is complicated by the fact that the P7 is also fed by a Receiver and operates in HT bypass mode for that, plus I rely on the P7's analog bass management for 2 channel listening because my mains are not capable of handling a full range signal, plus I like the flexibility of utilizing the trims and tone controls on the P7 as needed.

What role does the receiver play in your setup? The Oppo105 can do bass management, trim and set configuration and distances for speakers.

In my setup, analog stereo from the 105 goes to a Parasound JC-2 analog preamp that it shares with a Sony XA5400ES and JC-3 phono stage. Surround channels go directly to the amps, SW to a Velodyne SMS-1 that provides acoustic room correction for a pair of subs. The JC-2 is set to unity gain when the source is the 105, and the 105 controls the volume. I've never heard a hint of overload, but the Sony and JC-3 are using the balanced input whereas the Oppo uses SE input. I plan to try the 105 with balanced input, and if that's superior to SE input as Parasound suggests it might be, then I will add a Goldpoint XLR switch so both the Oppo and Sony can share a balanced input.

You might consider using the Oppo 105 to do bass management and trim, and, unless you need it for multiple sources, eliminate the receiver.

db
post #1329 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

..., plus I like the flexibility of utilizing the trims and tone controls on the P7 as needed.
Does the P7 offer any other trim then speaker volume and distance (such as treble, bass, loudness, etc)
post #1330 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

Does the P7 offer any other trim then speaker volume and distance (such as treble, bass, loudness, etc)

Yes, bass, treble, left/right + front rear balance and subwoofer trim. Checkout the manual here: http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/P7Manual.pdf
post #1331 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

What role does the receiver play in your setup? The Oppo105 can do bass management, trim and set configuration and distances for speakers.

In my setup, analog stereo from the 105 goes to a Parasound JC-2 analog preamp that it shares with a Sony XA5400ES and JC-3 phono stage. Surround channels go directly to the amps, SW to a Velodyne SMS-1 that provides acoustic room correction for a pair of subs. The JC-2 is set to unity gain when the source is the 105, and the 105 controls the volume. I've never heard a hint of overload, but the Sony and JC-3 are using the balanced input whereas the Oppo uses SE input. I plan to try the 105 with balanced input, and if that's superior to SE input as Parasound suggests it might be, then I will add a Goldpoint XLR switch so both the Oppo and Sony can share a balanced input.

You might consider using the Oppo 105 to do bass management and trim, and, unless you need it for multiple sources, eliminate the receiver.

db

Thanks for giving this some thought. There are too many devices hooked up to the receiver for me to get rid of it at this point.

I am already using the BDP-105's bass management, speaker distances and trim for multichannel sources. But you've given me an idea though ..... Given that I still need the receiver, rather than connecting my amps directly to the 105, I'm going to try setting the HT bypass on the P7's multichannel inputs from the 105 (which will achieve close to the same thing) to see if I prefer the sound.

Unlike your setup, my 105 is also my fully balanced 2-channel source and I need the analog subwoofer crossover on the P7 to pull off the low frequencies away from my bookshelf mains. e.g. for 2 channel DSD direct to analog, where the bass management on the 105 won't operate without conversion to PCM first.
post #1332 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post


What role does the receiver play in your setup? The Oppo105 can do bass management, trim and set configuration and distances for speakers.
 

But not EQ.

post #1333 of 1458
anyone tried a dsd->direct to amp vs dsd ->pcm->direct to amp SQ comparison?
post #1334 of 1458
I finally got around to try the Oppo 105 against a dedicated DAC. In my case a T+A DAC 8. This one sells for 50 % more than the Oppo. I have always found the Oppo to be very neutral and in that respect I have been very happy with the product. But I was still curious on its performance vs a dedicated Dac.
The T+A had characteristic that was very similar but much more liquid. A more analogue feel to the music and the bass was much deeper and refined. This was my first step into the DAC jungle - but I am sure there will be more boxes on the test bench before I settle for the "One".
post #1335 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovector View Post

I finally got around to try the Oppo 105 against a dedicated DAC. In my case a T+A DAC 8. This one sells for 50 % more than the Oppo. I have always found the Oppo to be very neutral and in that respect I have been very happy with the product. But I was still curious on its performance vs a dedicated Dac.
The T+A had characteristic that was very similar but much more liquid. A more analogue feel to the music and the bass was much deeper and refined. This was my first step into the DAC jungle - but I am sure there will be more boxes on the test bench before I settle for the "One".
FWIW, here in the US the Oppo 105 sells for $1200 and the T+A DAC 8 retails for $3200.

Which filter(s) did you use on it?
post #1336 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

anyone tried a dsd->direct to amp vs dsd ->pcm->direct to amp SQ comparison?

I have. I'm pretty sure I couldn't distinguish between them in a double-blind test, especially after the pause to change the menu setting in the 105.

db
post #1337 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

FWIW, here in the US the Oppo 105 sells for $1200 and the T+A DAC 8 retails for $3200.

Which filter(s) did you use on it?

OK, here in Sweden the Oppo is + 2000 USD. I toggled between the 4 filters "blind" via the remote, and ended up liking nr 1 or 4 the best. I could live with any one of them. I could not hear any difference between the Std and Wide setting however.
post #1338 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovector View Post

OK, here in Sweden the Oppo is + 2000 USD.

Ouch! Wow.
post #1339 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ He's comparing a downloaded track from HD Tracks to a CD, not a file ripped from the CD to the CD. Without more specifics, it's pretty difficult to say if the particular track from HD Tracks is a good sample to work with or not.

HD track sucks they sell over priced CD quality you can buy for half that and have the CDas a back- up biggrin.gif
post #1340 of 1458
I am thinking about connecting the rest of my channels on my Oppo 105 directly to my five channel amp but I have a question first. Can I leave the SW output of the 105 connected to my UMC-200 prepro? This gives me the ability to adjust the sub trim on the fly with the prepro remote. Would it be better just to go ahead and connect the sw output directly to my dual subs? The UMC-200 has two sub outs so I would have to get a splitter if I dont use the prepro.

I ability to adjust sub output on the fly would be useful because I have different preferences when it comes to the amount of bass for music vs movies. I currently have the front channels of the 105 directly connected to my Emotica XPA-200 amp and I really like the sound. It is very clean and detailed and I want to give the other channels a go because I have a good deal of MC music. Thanks.
post #1341 of 1458

have anyone compared DLNA and usb hdd  playback, which is more superior?

post #1342 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

Hello there,

I am using an Oppo BDP-105 + Halo P7 (+ Halo A31 and Halo A23 Amp) combo and just realized I may be in danger clipping the input to the P7 since I have the volume level on the BDP-105 fixed at 100.

I have never heard any hint of the sound breaking down (the P7 has not been dialed above 70).

I have both the multichannel RCA's and XLR's feeding the P7. Since the output voltage for the XLR's is 4.2V and for the RCA's is 2.1V and I don't hear a sound level difference when switching between them, I am "guessing" that the XLR voltage is for both legs ....... i.e 2.1V on each leg ?

In order not to exceed the P5's rated 8V, given the gain of 5, one should not exceed an input voltage of 8 / 5 = 1.6V ..... so this would mean that I should limit the volume on the BDP-105 to 1.6 / 2.1 * 100 = 76 ... and dial up the P7 accordingly?

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I'd also like to be sure that the P7 is never in danger of causing clipping on either of the amps but I've looked at the amp specs and I'm not sure how to work that out. I imagine I'm not in danger there since the Halo line should play well together ..

Thanks very much.

James

Ok .. the math above on the required volume adjustment is completely incorrect.

After some reading (and I now also understand why XLR runs +6dB), I am now computing the required volume limitation as follows:

For the SE Inputs: 20 LOG 2.1/1.6 = 2.36dB
For the XLR Inputs: 20 LOG 4.2/1.6 = 8.38dB

So my current understanding is that I would need to limit the volume on the 105 to 83 (100 - 17 x 0.5dB steps (i.e 8.5dB) = 83 ) in order to completely avoid all possibility of clipping the inputs on the P7 for the loudest source material via the XLR inputs and with the P7 volume at maximum.

Yes? No?

What I'm very interested in at this point is, with the various possible combinations of digital volume control on the 105 and analog volume control on the preamp, what sounds best … a lower volume on the 105 and a higher volume on the preamp, or vice versa, or somewhere in between, or do I run the preamp at unity gain .. or even run the MC outputs on the 105 directly to the amps. Let the listening tests begin! ..... (actually they already have)
post #1343 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsan View Post

have anyone compared DLNA and usb hdd  playback, which is more superior?
If the dlna server doesn't transcode the digital media before it gets streamed to your player/renderer, sound quality will be identical.
post #1344 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

HD track sucks they sell over priced CD quality you can buy for half that and have the CDas a back- up biggrin.gif

Not true actually HD Tracks are like all providers and indeed formats and give variable results.

There are downloads that are excellent...one of the most debated album's Miles Davis Kind Of Blue....well a lot of people are agreeing HDT's version (for good reason) is the best...and this recording has been issued multiple times.

Yes you have to be discerning and yes you need to rely on others as well as yourself but there are various releases that are amongst the best available to those interested in audio reproduction.
post #1345 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

Hello there,

I am using an Oppo BDP-105 + Halo P7 (+ Halo A31 and Halo A23 Amp) combo and just realized I may be in danger clipping the input to the P7 since I have the volume level on the BDP-105 fixed at 100.

I have never heard any hint of the sound breaking down (the P7 has not been dialed above 70).

I have both the multichannel RCA's and XLR's feeding the P7. Since the output voltage for the XLR's is 4.2V and for the RCA's is 2.1V and I don't hear a sound level difference when switching between them, I am "guessing" that the XLR voltage is for both legs ....... i.e 2.1V on each leg ?

In order not to exceed the P5's rated 8V, given the gain of 5, one should not exceed an input voltage of 8 / 5 = 1.6V ..... so this would mean that I should limit the volume on the BDP-105 to 1.6 / 2.1 * 100 = 76 ... and dial up the P7 accordingly?

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I'd also like to be sure that the P7 is never in danger of causing clipping on either of the amps but I've looked at the amp specs and I'm not sure how to work that out. I imagine I'm not in danger there since the Halo line should play well together ..

Thanks very much.

James

Ok .. the math above on the required volume adjustment is completely incorrect.

After some reading (and I now also understand why XLR runs +6dB), I am now computing the required volume limitation as follows:

For the SE Inputs: 20 LOG 2.1/1.6 = 2.36dB
For the XLR Inputs: 20 LOG 4.2/1.6 = 8.38dB

So my current understanding is that I would need to limit the volume on the 105 to 83 (100 - 17 x 0.5dB steps (i.e 8.5dB) = 83 ) in order to completely avoid all possibility of clipping the inputs on the P7 for the loudest source material via the XLR inputs and with the P7 volume at maximum.

Yes? No?

What I'm very interested in at this point is, with the various possible combinations of digital volume control on the 105 and analog volume control on the preamp, what sounds best … a lower volume on the 105 and a higher volume on the preamp, or vice versa, or somewhere in between, or do I run the preamp at unity gain .. or even run the MC outputs on the 105 directly to the amps. Let the listening tests begin! ..... (actually they already have)

 

Kayhikski:

 

I did calculations for several posters in one of the 105 forums and i remember doing it for someone using the Parasound equipment. Anyways, if you want to search for my earlier posts, you can OR...just simply list the specs of your Amplifier(what is it?). The optimum volume for the Oppo is function of the Oppo, Parasound and your Amplifiers. You may PM me as well with the specs if you want. The calculations are rather easy...

 

BTW, RCA and XLR outputs will not require different volume settings on the Oppo since the different XLR voltage levels are reduced by 6dB inside the prepro  or amplifier to equal the RCA inputs.

 

David

post #1346 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Kayhikski:

I did calculations for several posters in one of the 105 forums and i remember doing it for someone using the Parasound equipment. Anyways, if you want to search for my earlier posts, you can OR...just simply list the specs of your Amplifier(what is it?). The optimum volume for the Oppo is function of the Oppo, Parasound and your Amplifiers. You may PM me as well with the specs if you want. The calculations are rather easy...

BTW, RCA and XLR outputs will not require different volume settings on the Oppo since the different XLR voltage levels are reduced by 6dB inside the prepro  or amplifier to equal the RCA inputs.

David

Hello David,

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

FL + C + FR are driven by a Parasound Halo A31 Amp and SR + SL by a Parasound Halo A23 Amp.

The specs are listed at the URL's below but don't list the maximum input voltage to clipping so I emailed Parasound and was told that for the A31 it is 1.4V and for the A23 it is 1.2V.

Specs:
http://www.parasound.com/halo/a31.php
http://www.parasound.com/halo/a23.php

I reviewed your previous post (#998, p34 in this thread) and had a stab at the calculation myself. Please feel free to correct it!

I am using the balanced outputs from the 105 to the P7 for 2CH listening and 6x single-ended for Multichannel. All the connections from the P7 to the Amps are balanced.

Noting that the max output of the 105 is 4.2V XLR, 2.1V RCA and that the maximum gain of the P7 preamp is 5, my math is as follows:

FL+FR (Balanced output from 105 to P7 to A31 amp)
20 LOG (4.2 x 5/1.4) = 23.5dB

Center (SE output from 105 to P7 to A31 amp)
20 LOG (2.1 x 5/1.4) = 17.5dB

Surround Channels (SE output from 105 to P7 to A23 amp)
20 LOG (2.1 x 5/1.2) = 18.8dB

It seems that the FL+FR channels place the largest restriction on volume. Since each volume click reduces output by 0.5dB it looks like I need to limit the 105 to 100-(2x23.5) = 100 - 47= 53 ?

Thanks again!

James
post #1347 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post



FL + C + FR are driven by a Parasound Halo A31 Amp and SR + SL by a Parasound Halo A23 Amp.

The specs are listed at the URL's below but don't list the maximum input voltage to clipping so I emailed Parasound and was told that for the A31 it is 1.4V and for the A23 it is 1.2V.

Specs:
http://www.parasound.com/halo/a31.php
 

Cool, I have bee thinking about buying a A31 how do you like it? How come you didn't get an A51 rather than the 31 and 23?

post #1348 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Cool, I have bee thinking about buying a A31 how do you like it? How come you didn't get an A51 rather than the 31 and 23?

Hello there.

For additional flexibility down the road.

The A31 has adjustable gain control on each channel (+/- 6dB) as well as the ability to select balanced vs unbalanced on each channel.

I don't like the vertical format of the inputs on the A51.

These are my first dedicated amps. I like the A31 a lot but the only thing I can compare it against is the amps in my long line of receivers so that isn't really saying much.

Best,
James
Edited by kayhikski - 2/15/14 at 9:01am
post #1349 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

Hello there.

For additional flexibility down the road.

The A31 has adjustable gain control on each channel (+/- 6dB) as well as the ability to select balanced vs unbalanced on each channel.

I don't like the vertical format of the inputs on the A51.

These are my first dedicated amps. I like the A31 a lot but the only thing I can compare it against is the amps in my long line of receivers so that isn't really saying much.

Best,
James

Yes Parasound make some great amplifiers I don't like the A51 either it is too cramped eek.gif
post #1350 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Kayhikski:

BTW, RCA and XLR outputs will not require different volume settings on the Oppo since the different XLR voltage levels are reduced by 6dB inside the prepro  or amplifier to equal the RCA inputs.

David

David,

Where does the 6 dB reduction occur? I've been switching between SE and XLR inputs of my Parasound JC-2 while various CDs and SACDs are playing on my Oppo BDP-105. I've had two surprises: (1) there seems to be no level difference between SE and XLR, and (2) I don't hear a difference in sound quality between the SE and XLR inputs. When switching, the sound appears continuous, although the lights indicate it is switched. The Sony XA5400ES is using the other XLR input, so I'm going to try the same comparison by connecting it SE as well as XLR to the JC-2, assuming both the SE and XLR outputs are simultaneously active on the Sony.

db
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles