Originally Posted by diononiz
Soundstage is much larger with the NAD
Voice sound more realistic and are sharply in the center of the speakers
Hear more detail and subtle nuances in the music
The oppo is good for a universal player but personally I found the sound a bit flat.
Please don't be offended, but the first thing that comes to mind reading a report like this is that there's some sort of simple setup error.
Some things to check:
1) Confirm that DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF. Turning it on rate limits the digital portion of the audio path, so you should only turn it on when you really want to use it.
2) Go to the Stereo Signal setting and toggle it to the alternate setting and back to make sure you've not been bitten by the bug which causes the opposite choice to be used to what you thought you had selected.
3) If the problem arises during SACD listening, check both SACD Output DSD and SACD Output PCM. If the problem only happens with the DSD choice then you may be relying on Speaker Configuration settings that can not function during DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. (*NO* Audio processing is possible in the player while doing that.)
4) If using the XLR outputs, check that you don't have the wrong choice for the XLR Terminal Polarity setting.
5) For multi-channel listening, check your speaker and subwoofer volume trims using a calibration disc -- i.e., the LPCM test tracks from AIX Calibration, Blu-ray. Pay particular attention to the Subwoofer level as the correct setting for the Sub's own volume knob may very well be different from what worked best with your other player.
6) While you are at it, use the AIX disc to double-check speaker wiring polarity for pairs of speakers and run the Crossover test sweep to see if your bass management is producing a clean transition from mains to Sub for the lower frequencies. Since things are working well with your other player, there are UNLIKELY to be problems here unless you have a miss-wired cable you are using with the OPPO or haven't adjusted the Crossover yet.
Again, this is not to discount your report, but when I see a report of subjective quality problems, the first thing that comes to MY mind is to make sure there isn't something silly going on confusing what you are hearing.