or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Which projector to buy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which projector to buy.

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey guys!

I'm form Australia and have about 4k to spend on a projector. This has been doing my head in for such a long time and I'm getting frustrated with it all. I just don't know which projector to get!

The projectors I'm looking at are
Optoma HD83
Panasonic PT-8000
Epson 9100W
Or is anyone else has one to suggest.....

All I want is to be happy with which ever I buy. I wanna be impressed when I watch a movie.

My room is 6.3 meters long. I was hoping to mount the projector at the back of the room.
My Screen is 92" and I have built black panels left and right of the wall ( they are filled with insulation to make the room sound better)

Hope someone can reply soon as I want to buy one this week.

Cheers

MIck
post #2 of 18
Since you are considering DLP, how about this? http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sharp-projector-mount-and-glasses

Arguably one of the best DLP produced this year.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpitomeOsborn View Post

Hey guys!

I'm form Australia and have about 4k to spend on a projector. This has been doing my head in for such a long time and I'm getting frustrated with it all. I just don't know which projector to get!

The projectors I'm looking at are
Optoma HD83
Panasonic PT-8000
Epson 9100W
Or is anyone else has one to suggest.....

All I want is to be happy with which ever I buy. I wanna be impressed when I watch a movie.

My room is 6.3 meters long. I was hoping to mount the projector at the back of the room.
My Screen is 92" and I have built black panels left and right of the wall ( they are filled with insulation to make the room sound better)

Hope someone can reply soon as I want to buy one this week.

Cheers

MIck

Putting the projector at the back of your 6.3 meter (i.e., 20.67 ft.) long room produces a fairly long throw distance for your 92" screen size (is that 92" wide or 92" diagonal?).

The Optoma HD83 only has a 1.5X zoom lens and the max. distance to fill at 92" wide screen is just over 17 ft. while the max. distance to fill a 92" diagonal screen would only be about 15 ft.. Thus if you are wanting to mount the projector on shelf attached to the rear wall of the room, it appears the Optoma HD83 would not work. However, if you can ceiling mount toward the rear of the room, but not all the way back to the rear wall, it still might work for you.

As for the Epson and Panasonic their zoom's have a longer zoom ratio and will both accommodate a 92" wide screen even if the projector is placed along the rear wall, while if the screen is 92" diagonal then the Epson should still work and the Panasonic might be made to work if you can get the lens position forward from the wall about 30" or more. In both cases the projector's zoom will need to be set very near to the minimum zoom limit.

As you go to long throw distances, with the zoom set near minimum zoom, there will be more light loss in the lens and the image on the screen will be dimmer as compared to locating the projector closer the screen. I suggest you check out the Comparison Report of the Panasonic PT-AE8000 vs. the Epson 5020UB (American model) to better undertand the pros and cons of these projectors.
post #4 of 18
A really good choice alternative to the Optoma would be the Sharp XV-Z30000. It's one of the nicer single chip DLPs out at the moment. Great dynamic iris, plenty bright for a 92" screen and it does 3D flawlessly, if you're into 3D. That would be my top choice for a current DLP projector in your price range.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey people!

thanks for the replies. I went and bought a JVC X55 and am very happy with it!

Only thing I'm a bit un sure about is I think its called ghostnig? sometimes on moving scenes there is a jelly like surrounding around the picture. is this ghosting and can I stop it?
I hope this isn't normal for a projector this expensive.

Mick
post #6 of 18
When we are talking about ghosting (and crosstalk) it's in reference to 3D viewing only. Are you seeing the issue only in 3D or is there while you're watching 2D content as well. Please give us more of an explanation of what you're seeing. Maybe an example.
post #7 of 18
I cannot live without FI on a 3D DLP that is only 120hz, not sure what the sharp is. Motion looks horrid on 120hz projectors in 3D IMO after seeing the w7000 with FI on/off. Some people have said that "I hate the look of FI", but the motion in 3D at 120hz without FI (DLP or not) is 100x the choppiness and blur of say a JVC in regular 2D, let me put it that way. If I watch some things in 3D on the w7000 with FI disabled, it looks like an animated cartoon someone drew on flip-pages, that's how rough the motion is (slight exaggeration, but not that much). The Epson has faster panels so the Epson isn't as bad as many PJ's are without FI, but the 120hz ones without FI look very poor IMO once you see FI in 3D on a 120hz for comparison. There is a frame blur effect without it (where the image appears to be missing so many frames that they appear to be drawn onto the screen instead of natural looking).

FI is a fairly subjective feature for 2D, but in 3D on a 120hz PJ I don't think so.
Edited by coderguy - 1/18/13 at 2:50pm
post #8 of 18
I've seen 3D on a JVC DLA-X3 and on a Mitsubishi HC7800D. Both looked adequately good without a FI system turned on and both run at 120hz in 3D mode. With it turned on it looked....different. I wouldn't call it better though. I'm not particular to FI systems in general. I think the problem is that most of us are stuck with this memory of how 24fps material looks and anything that differs looks odd and odd usually means bad. Who knows, maybe 10 years from now if this HFR trend sticks and people finally get assimilated with it, we may ditch 24fps all together.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I cannot live without FI on a 3D DLP that is only 120hz, not sure what the sharp is. Motion looks horrid on 120hz projectors in 3D IMO after seeing the w7000 with FI on/off. Some people have said that "I hate the look of FI", but the motion in 3D at 120hz without FI (DLP or not) is 100x the choppiness and blur of say a JVC in regular 2D, let me put it that way. If I watch some things in 3D on the w7000 with FI disabled, it looks like an animated cartoon someone drew on flip-pages, that's how rough the motion is (slight exaggeration, but not that much). The Epson has faster panels so the Epson isn't as bad as many PJ's are without FI, but the 120hz ones without FI look very poor IMO once you see FI in 3D on a 120hz for comparison. There is a frame blur effect without it (where the image appears to be missing so many frames that they appear to be drawn onto the screen instead of natural looking).

FI is a fairly subjective feature for 2D, but in 3D on a 120hz PJ I don't think so.

I agree. I was actually surprised by the 3d motion on the 7000 without FI. Looks superb with FI on low or even medium in 3d to my eyes though. Was the JVC this choppy in 3d? It has been so long since I watched 3d on the JVC, I cant remember if it was as choppy as the 7000 or not..... confused.gif
post #10 of 18
Been a while since I watched the JVC, I think the motion might have looked a tiny bit smoother but the overriding terrible flicker might just have been the reason it appeared smoother. The Benq 3D with FI is definitely smoother than the JVC 3D motion as well.
post #11 of 18
My JVC DLA-X3 and the Mitsubishi HC7800D didn't look choppy at all without FI. I watched about 20-25 3D titles on each.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Been a while since I watched the JVC, I think the motion might have looked a tiny bit smoother but the overriding terrible flicker might just have been the reason it appeared smoother. The Benq 3D with FI is definitely smoother than the JVC 3D motion as well.

No doubt. The 7000 with FI in 3d is noticeably smoother than the JVC to my eyes as well. I was always wanting the option to enable FI in 3d on my RS40 and RS45. Would be great if JVC gets FI enabled for 3d on next years models.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

My JVC DLA-X3 and the Mitsubishi HC7800D didn't look choppy at all without FI. I watched about 20-25 3D titles on each.

It depends on the content too though, the JVC motion definitely was no match without FI for the Benq 3D + FI, but I'd have to A/B it in 3D, but not really motivated to since the JVC 3D is bad enough that it's not worth it IMO. The ghosting and flickering is the larger annoyance on the JVC though, if it were just the motion I could have lived with it.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
I dont get choppy picture on the jvc x55, I was really impressed with the 3D on this unit.

What I'm not enjoying is sometimes on moving scenes, Usually in the middle of the screen I'm getting this blur around the image. ( I thought this might be what people call ghosting) Seems to only do it on some discs. We watched into the wild last night and it was really bad.
any thoughts on what this could be? I might try and take a pic of it tonight if I'm not making any sence.

MIck
post #15 of 18
Some 3D content even on a DLP can have a bit of added blur (almost smudge like) if it was not filmed well (and some 3D was not), especially 2D / 3D conversions. The ghosting is more separation artifacts or double image overlapped, the smudge blur I am talking about is kind of like where someone's face all of a sudden looks smushy or something (again usually a bad angle or bad 3D method). Animated content still looks best on 3D, the most immersive 3D I've seen so far is in a game called X3: Albion Prelude (after a 3D patch). Although it is not what I would call the BEST 3D overall by any stretch, you really feel like you are floating in space and it is quite a strange feeling.

It may not look choppy in 3D to you, but if you saw the Benq w/FI enabled, it definitely looks smoother.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It depends on the content too though, the JVC motion definitely was no match without FI for the Benq 3D + FI, but I'd have to A/B it in 3D, but not really motivated to since the JVC 3D is bad enough that it's not worth it IMO. The ghosting and flickering is the larger annoyance on the JVC though, if it were just the motion I could have lived with it.

There was definitely ghosting and some flickering on the JVC. The Mitsubishi didn't have flickering but there was ghosting. Almost as bad as the JVC. Motion seemed normal to me on the content I saw. I'm curious if Mitsubishi has improved 3D with this years models. I would've kept the Mits but is DI was horrid and unusable. It was needed for 2D to come close in contrast to the competition in it's price range last year. So I had to get rid of it seeing how the DI was so bad. Way too noticeable. Pumping out of control and it was always late to kick in.
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
are there any PJ's in the 6k price range that do not do this? I'm thinking about selling the JVC, Ive only had it for 3 days.

MIck
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpitomeOsborn View Post

Hey people!

thanks for the replies. I went and bought a JVC X55 and am very happy with it!

Only thing I'm a bit un sure about is I think its called ghostnig?
Mick

First you contenplain about choosing between Optoma Panasonic or Epson.

Lots of folks posts some really great opinions and then you purchase JVC .

Then you say you are happy with it and next thing you admit you got a problem with it because of ghosting which by the way is well known issue for DILA.

Pardon me for asking but how old are you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Which projector to buy.